Secret Circle Boss on Finale's 'Epic' Body Count, Unlikely Romance and Blackwell's Endgame

Secret Circle Shelley Hennig Britt RobertsonWitches, crystal skulls and romantic triangles — yep, it’s time for the season finale of The CW’s The Secret Circle (airing tonight at 9/8c)! With the show yet to be picked for a sophomore run, executive producer Andrew Miller promises a conclusion that’s “satisfying” yet “titillating,” in that it sets up new storylines. Oh, and there will be death. But — and we hate to break this to you — one person won’t be in the finale at all.

TVLine also got the scoop on Charles’ unraveling, what Blackwell’s plans mean for Diana and Cassie’s sisterly bond, and whether romance is in the cards for Adam and Melissa.

RELATED | Season Finale Spoilers: Scoop on 54 Big Finishes!

TVLINE | We just learned quite a bit about Blackwell’s intentions. What is the Circle going to do with this information in the finale?
They’re sort of in a bind because on the one hand, they want nothing to do with Blackwell. And after last week’s revelations, [they] don’t want him anywhere near the crystals or the crystal skull. And yet, they’re going to quickly find out that they need the power of the crystal skull to get Faye. The episode is hinged on just how far each one of them is willing to go to rescue Faye. They all want to; but how to do that is up for grabs because it directly ties into not how much they can trust Blackwell, but how much they can outsmart him. That’s a tricky proposition because Cassie’s mother tried to do it 16 years ago and failed. Now Cassie wants to try it again.

TVLINE | Blackwell’s been carrying out this agenda for decades now. What is the endgame?
We’re going to find out the endgame in this episode, and why he came to Chance Harbor to begin with and what he wanted with Cassie and what he wants with the crystal skull. For Blackwell, there are a few more chess moves still to be played in this finale.

TVLINE | Cassie and Diana’s relationship really has the potential to go in any direction. How is what they learned about Blackwell going to affect that dynamic?
It affects it a lot. Cassie may have had a kind of destiny to fulfill with Adam when she arrived, but it’s Diana who really reached out to her first. … The end of this episode really puts this relationship to the test, and they make very strong demands of each other as sisters, as friends. What they end up doing at the end of the episode really, strongly redefines their relationship as we move [forward].

RELATED | The CW Renews Supernatural, Vampire Diaries and 90210

TVLINE | In a preview, it appears the gang might be getting their solo powers back. Is the Circle crumbling?
They will come to realize that in order to save the Circle they have to divide the Circle — though that won’t necessarily be true. What they’re hoping to accomplish will be much more complicated than they think going into it, but it does result in unbinding the Circle. How that act affects them – though it was done in such a positive way, to help Faye – ends up putting them in more danger than they counted on.

TVLINE | Adam and Melissa have been spending a lot of time together. Is there some romance brewing there, pun intended?
[Laughs] Well, it’s a question for next season. Adam and Melissa have developed into the anti-Faye and Jake, in that Faye and Jake have this incredibly strong, dense emotional armor that protects them from anything, and it’s hard to crack through. [Melissa and Adam] are definitely getting closer. Whether that blooms into something remains to be seen, although there are some hints in this finale between Adam and Melissa and between Adam and Cassie. What happens to Adam as his story is completed over the course of this episode really points to an exciting, questionable relationship for next season.

Secret Circle TVLINE | Where does that leave the Adam/Cassie/Jake love triangle? Are you downplaying that right now?
The Jake part of it, yes. The Adam and Cassie… I don’t know if I’d say downplaying that aspect. For Cassie, the Adam love connection has just been hard to fully grasp. With Jake, he and Cassie have a very weird relationship that I like a lot. Last week, Faye was able to crack through that armor I was talking about in a way that no one really has, and that’s going to affect him in this episode. The Jake/Faye relationship is going to move forward a little, so the Cassie triangle has been eased up on a bit.

RELATED | TVLine’s May Season Finale Calendar: What’s Ending When?

TVLINE | We haven’t seen Ethan in a while. Is he going to come back into play in the finale?
Ethan isn’t playing in the finale. He is in spirit, but for technical reasons, we weren’t able to include [actor Adam Harrington, who was filming the Fox pilot Mob Doctor] in the finale, although we desperately wanted to. We concentrate heavily on Dawn and Charles. Ultimately, we weren’t able to finish the Ethan story the way we wanted exactly, but we’re poised to do so next year.

TVLINE | Charles is starting to unravel. How is that going to play out with the Blackwell/Dawn/Charles power struggle?
Charles has done a lot of bad things in his lifetime. He has spent a lot of time confusing magic with strength or magical power with strength of character. And it’s relatively easy to use magic to get the things we want or make people do the things we want them to do, but that doesn’t make you a strong person. For him to be the father he purports to be, he’s going to have to take a harder path than he’s been taking. We’ll find out who Charles is as a man in this episode, when he decides how far he’ll go to save Diana.

RELATED | 2012 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Axed? What’s on the Bubble?

TVLINE | The show has still not been officially renewed. Did that make writing the finale difficult?
No, because we’ve been headed in this one direction … desperate to answer all the questions that we’ve been bringing up for the last 21 episodes. So we felt that, without question, there was a responsibility to our audience to create a satisfying ending to the story we’ve been telling. It’s an epic, big episode that has “season finale!” written on every scene. Whether we get picked up or not, I think it’ll be a very satisfying end to the story and a very titillating [hint at] what hopefully will come next season.

TVLINE | If you had to give the CW one reason to renew you guys, what’s your pitch?
Cast. I just think we have the best cast on television. Our kids are so talented — they surprise me every week, and they will only get better. We know how to write for them better.

TVLINE | I can’t let you go without asking about the body count in this finale.
[Laughs] There will be death. There will be blood. There will be magic. You can’t have an epic episode with all our characters wielding magic without some casualties. So there will be some death. But what’s more interesting than the deaths themselves is who’s committing the deaths.

1. mare says:

This show needs a S2! The cast is amazing! The story is so much better since Blackwell appeared! This girls are really great actresses and down to earth! just L-o-V-e them! Everyone 9pm check it out!

• Aerilyn says:

Yes, please watch it LIVE!! Especially Nielsen viewers, but the more viewers is always the better! And get your friends on it too. And don’t tune out after TVD is done, please stick around. This show honestly deserves a 2nd season!!! Can’t wait to watch the season finale tonight!

2. Beth says:

Please no Adam and Melissa. First of all, I don’t see any chemistry between them at all. And I really don’t think they have to get into the same rut as other shows have where the core group ends up dating each other at one time or the other. That always bugs me.

On another note, can’t wait to see the finale (season hopefully!!) tonight!!!

• Irishgirl says:

Thank you! I totally agree. When they had them dance together, I just groaned because it appears that they are pushing those two together. No more triangles and bouncing around dating.

I’m torn about this show. I think it has great potential, but I have gotten reeeeally tired of bossy Cassie and the stupid decisions. Granted, I know the audience is privy to information that the characters are not, but I kept waiting for someone to say “no…I don’t think we should be doing this” or ” I know he’s your dad, but how do we know we should do this…..or that our relationship is a curse?” Why aren’t they checking their books….at least attempting to verify something? And then I just lost it last week when we discover that all of these kids were born of teenage pregnancies. All the parents were in high school when the kids were born?? Does that mean Jake was born when his parents were 15 or something? I just thought that plot development was lame and weird.

• Aerilyn says:

Jake’s parents were at least 20 on the night of the boatyard fire. The other parents were at least 17/18. Can’t really call it lame, because that’s the way it’s in the books too. The parents were teens when they had their kids.

• Irishgirl says:

Ah…interesting. I haven’t read the books so didn’t know they were teens there as well. Well at least they are staying consistent with the books. I still find it lame and weird……but thanks for the clarification!

• Cassie says:

I agree! They seem to have a brother/sister relationship to me.

3. Lauren says:

I hope this gets renewed, along with Hart of Dixie. I really enjoy them both.
    Totally agree with Adam and Melissa, I wish they could just be friends. If anything happens with them in the finale Adam would have been with three out of the four girls in the series in one season! I wish they had focused back on Adam and Cassie, I actually started enjoying the angst with the ‘curse’ and then they just put it on the backburner. I wish Nick had stuck around also, I think it was incredibly stupid to bring him back just to kill him off in the next episode. He could have been a great villain for next season.
    I do have to disagree with the ‘best cast on television’, I can think of five shows off the top of my head with easily better casts. ‘Best looking’ is probably another story, but they’d have to battle with the other CW shows for that title.

4. ayaz says:

Plzzz we want season 2…

5. Marianne says:

Come on CW! Renew the Secret Circle and Nikita!!

6. Jake says:

Renew this and Nikita…Axe HOD, GG, Ringer and Remolded.

7. katy says:

Yes! I’m so glad they might explore Melissa and Adam. I never really cared about any of the romances on this show until M/A started hanging out, and I saw so much chemistry. Anyways, really hope this gets renewed for season two! HoD is cute, but TSC has way more long-term potential.

8. Cast is amazing and talented! The EP is just the BEST, Andrew Miller really cares for his witches and his audience!!! The story is fascinating! The stunts are just uber perfect! I love The Secret Circle to bits! Keep it! We need good new fairy tales

9. Amanda says:

If they can renew crummy Gossip Girl which can’t even get 1 milli

• Amanda says:

Oops. Hit enter too soon! But GG can’t even get 1 million viewers now! If they renew that show and don’t renew TSC, I think I’m done with the CW. Because they make the CRAPPIEST decisi

10. sarah says:

I do not want Adam and Melissa together. The spell that John did to keep Adam and Cassie apart did not work on either of them as 2 weeks ago Adam all but admitted to Melissa that it did not work.
    I think that Cassie will kill John. However I am not sure if that death will really impact the circle as stated in another interview the death has a major impact.
    Well for me that sucks that Adam Harrington is filming a pilot I really like him.

11. beth says:

Renew renew renew!!! We need a season 2!
    I really don’t care if Adam has to be killed of a he is the worst actor ever!!!
    You say your pitch is the cast? I would agree if Adam was out of the question because Thomas Dekker cannot act! Simple as. The show would be so much better without him!

12. Well said Beth, you beat me to it.
    Captain Guyliner is a dreadful actor.

I’m quite a few episodes behind still, but for me the show was getting harder & harder to watch as it seemed every character was becoming more unlikeable as it went on.
    But Dekker is the weak link for sure, just as he was in Sarah Connor.

• Aerilyn says:

Episode 16 onward this show just became soooo amazing! You should watch the season finale anyway!

Also, side note, I’m okay with Ethan not being the finale. It means he won’t die. I always thought he was someone who could potentially be killed off.

• beth says:

‘Captain guyliner’!
      Awesomely said:)

• Irishgirl says:

Actually I liked Dekker in Terminator: TSCC, but your Capt Guyliner question has me wondering if that is liner or if he has Nestor Carbonell eyes. Or maybe on this show it’s both. In some scenes, it’s distracting.

13. aLEX says:

the secret circle but deserves a second temporarily

14. Alex says:

the secret circle sim merece uma segunda temporada

15. Excited for the finale. Like most I think the show has picked up in the last few episodes, though I’m still surprised at how poorly the adults have been integrated into everything. Here’s hoping that they can connect everything together and go out with a bang – regardless of the prospects for S2.

16. kate says:

Love the Faye and Jake relationship, so much chemistry between those two. This show definitely needs a renewal, it’s really hit its stride these last few episodes. Plus, there are so many questions and angles they can take these characters. I want to learn more about them. Please save the circle!!

17. Jose Cordero says:

Yeaahhh… the show needs a second season… I want to watch how they get more and more power and make bigger things..!!

18. Suzy says:

What about fayana?? C’mon Miller, Faye & Jake have like zero chemistry!!! Besides their shipping name is FAKE!! Just making it clear.

19. Sheri says:

Hate Adam and Melissa, just saying. I wanted a second season previously, but if they are going to continue with putting Adam with every girl in the circle…. it’s going to be a stupid show. I didn’t read the books and I don’t know if that is how it happens, but if it does I probably wont continue watching. I love the darkness of the show. I love sci-fi/fantasy and even enjoy a little relationship stuff. (for example; Adam and Cassie’s attraction to each other even if they are dating someone else and Faye and Jake’s connection, from the past). Right now, I got my fingers crossed that the finale is good and that the second season will be better than the end of season one.

20. Sara says:

I think we should get some Fayana instead. Much more interesting.

21. ray says:

the secret circle is one of the best shows i have ever seen apart from the vampire diaries and i really do hope you people plan on renewing it

22. it deserves second season… pls dont cut de season all de characters are awesome and it more interesting!!!

23. balcoin kids says:

How could they cancel the show we were going to make it even more awsome next season. I’m still pissed off!!!

24. thats b.s that was my show. bring back the secret circle . screw the heart of dixie i liked it but it was not so good.