Fall TV Preview

ABC Renews Once Upon a Time, Revenge, Grey's, Castle and Three Wednesday Comedies

RELATED | ABC Renews Dancing With the Stars, Shark Tank and Bachelor

The first-year comedy Suburgatory also has been picked up, while Grey’s Anatomy, Castle, The Middle and Modern Family are also officially set to return.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy‘s Pompeo, Dempsey and Other Original Cast Members Sign New Deals

There is no official word yet on the freshman sitcom Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23, the sophomore comedy Happy Endings, or Private Practice, though all three are expected to be back.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Bosses Tease a ‘Severely Intense’ Season Finale

Once co-creator Adam Horowitz broke his show’s good news via Twitter on Thursday evening, saying, “It’s official — #OnceUponaTime has been picked up for Season 2. Thank you all so much for watching, we’re beyond thrilled to continue on!” Once premiered the week before Halloween to 12.8 million total viewers while scoring a 3.9 demo rating, making it the TV season’s top-rated freshman drama — a crown it has worn ever since. (The Season 1 finale airs this Sunday at 8/7c.)

Comments (103)

• CONGRATS!! Looking forward to more story telling.

Comment by Nina – May 10, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Congrats but is there a official return date for once upon a time season 2?

Comment by Nimo – May 27, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about REVENGE? :(

Comment by K – May 10, 2012 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • REVENGE renewed; please see update.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 10, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Matt. Any chance that the site could note updates as such in the stories rather than editing the articles? This isn’t the only site that does this, but it does lead to some awkward “Can’t you read??”-”It wasn’t there when I posted my comment!!” fights in the comment section.

Comment by Marc – May 10, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ve noticed that happening a lot on this site as well. People get really vicious when they assume you haven’t read the whole article, like they have to prove how much smarter they are than you (see Kathy’s comment below), and I believe 90% of the time this situation is occurring when comments were made before updates were edited in. It would be cool if TVLine would note in the articles when things are updated, perhaps with a time code.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 10, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • K, please read paragraph one on the top with only one sentence which is Thursday evening was ABC’s turn to make some noise, as the network officially renewed seven scripted shows for the 2012-13 TV season, including the freshman dramas Once Upon a Time and Revenge.
      By Matt Webb Mitovich. Thanks.

Comment by Kathy – May 10, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is totally coming back with a wedding (Emily’s) and a funeral (who knows?) so keep waiting it will be back!

Comment by Emily Thorne – May 26, 2012 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really Emily?I don’t know which pairs to support..

Comment by Amber – June 14, 2012 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never doubted it but good to have it confirmed. Completely obsessed with this show.

Comment by Tanya (@kirads09) – May 10, 2012 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with this. Thanks, ABC!

Comment by AB – May 11, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO EXCITED!!!!

Comment by Allie – May 10, 2012 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy to hear this news and I was not shocked at all. This show is really good because it is different and I love the actors who are in it. Mazel Tov! And I am so excited for Sunday!

Comment by Linds (@Lwass007) – May 10, 2012 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle???? Now!

Comment by Rachael – May 10, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Castle, Grey’s and MF!!!

Comment by Becca – May 10, 2012 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have they said anything about Happy Endings?

Comment by Sharona – May 10, 2012 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please see update.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 10, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy about once and suburgatory!

Comment by Reena – May 10, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! Two of my favorites this season.

Comment by Deena – May 10, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Revenge & Once, now renew Body of Proof and GCB

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – May 10, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CASTLE FTW! IT’S OOOONNNN!!!!

Comment by ilongtoseeyourface – May 10, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Praying for PRIVATE PRACTICE. My life depends on it. <3

Comment by Barbie Furtado – May 10, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • matt is Body of Proof looking good for a renewal or not

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – May 10, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle!!!! Yes!!!!!

Comment by Rachael – May 10, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am SOOOOO ecstatic for Once Upon a Time!!! =D I pretty much knew it would be renewed but it’s never for real until we finally see it reported somewhere so I was still nervous about it, LOL ;) Glad for Grey’s and Revenge too and REALLY hoping for official news about Happy Endings and Private Practice next. This has been one of the most enjoyable TV seasons ever for me. Usually I lose several shows a year and this year I’m keeping almost all of my faves. I’m going to treasure this year because it may never happen again, LOL =D

Comment by Heather – May 10, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dam it come on Apt 23! last few episodes have been amazing

Comment by ggny – May 10, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sooooooo glad Castle will be back in september. God, I’m really excited right now! Yes! Thank you ABC!!!

Comment by M. – May 10, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • prayingg for happy endings and private practice

Comment by exfromtheleft – May 10, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely need some more Happy Endings!

Comment by JustMy2Cents – May 11, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooooo happy Castle is coming back!

Comment by kat – May 10, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT NEWS!!!! My 4 favorite must-watch shows are all coming back!!! Congrats to OUAT, Castle, Revenge & Grey’s!!!

Comment by JenB – May 10, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need something official about Happy Endings. Ughhh.

Comment by Josh – May 10, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • happy endings have been renewed for 22 episodes

Comment by LLL – May 11, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the fact Castle’s back for a 5th season

Comment by Erin – May 10, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle…..Revenge…..Once Upon a Time….Grey’s…..Happy person over here =)

Comment by Ella – May 10, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha ha the same four for me ! That’s great !

Comment by lilys87 – May 11, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hell to the yeah for Castle! Looking forward to see Castle and Beckett’s adventures together.

Comment by Yesssss Castle! – May 10, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree….can’t wait to see Caskett unfold in season 5. ;) :D

Comment by Vannesa – May 11, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yayyy. Castle! Finally!!

Comment by Andrea – May 10, 2012 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Last Man Standing and The River? They are ABC, I luv those two

Comment by Bradley Martens (@BRJericho7) – May 10, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pretty sure The River was cancelled awhile ago, but check the scorecard.

Comment by AB – May 11, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt, any news on numbers of episodes for any of the show, particularly Castle (I watch all of them shows you mentioned)? Or will we find out next week at upfronts?

Comment by Fanana – May 10, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about GCB?? :(

Comment by omg – May 10, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m wondering the same thing. ;)

Comment by robinepowell – May 10, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Regarding GCB – it is going to be close-call/50-50 at best. As other show bubble dramas get renewed at ABC [Body of Proof and Scandal have a good chance now based upon what I've reading from various sources], that leaves less and less room for GCB. Keep fingers crossed – we’ll know soon.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – May 11, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings has to come back! I really hope it does return for another full season!!!!!!! Ditto to GCB and Apt 23

Comment by tvaddict – May 10, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Duh. Now here’s hoping for a Happy Endings, Don’t Trust The B renewal.

Comment by YowzaPowza – May 10, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy they renew Once Upon A Time and Revenge love these shows now they need to renew GCB

Comment by Aleana – May 10, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle and Revenge! Yay!

Comment by DL – May 10, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!! OMG CASTLEEEEEEE!!!!

Comment by Mari – May 10, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GCB????

Comment by lala – May 10, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No GCB has officially been cancelled sorry.

Comment by Emily Thorne – May 26, 2012 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Once and Castle!!! As well as Modern Family

Comment by Cathy – May 10, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO excited for season 5 of CASTLE!!! AWM & the cast brought their A game for the finale and let’s hope that carries through season 5! (or atleast the season opener!!!)

Comment by Callie – May 10, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CASTLE!!! YES!!!!! Now, to survive hiatus for Castle AND Supernatural…I’m going to need more chocolate.

Comment by Reyane – May 10, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Castle” and “The Middle” and “Once…” are the ones I’m glad to see return. :)

Comment by Natalie – May 10, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CASTLE- Yes!!!!!! Glad to know my favorite show is offically coming back! I’m also excited for Once Upon a Time and Modern Family. Way to go, ABC!

Comment by Kate – May 10, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We need some good news for Happy Endings, Don’t Trust the B—-, the River and GCB. ABC needs to pick up those shows as well

Comment by Bradley Martens (@BRJericho7) – May 10, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CASTLE CASTLE CASTLE!!! yayayay <3

Comment by brittany – May 10, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy Once Upon A Time got renewed! Really hoping Happy Endings gets a renewal as well, love that show. Also won’t mind seeing The B—- in Apartment 23 getting another season too.

Comment by Paige – May 10, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scandal?

Comment by Jackie – May 10, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Need it to come back after lasr night’s amazing episode!!

Comment by Sean – May 11, 2012 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! Once upon a time and Revenge are coming back my top 2 new shows now Please Renew GCB!

Comment by Josh – May 10, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THEY MUST RENEW SCANDAL!

Comment by Bradley – May 10, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hoping for more Scandal too! I stopped watching ER when the helicopter fell on Dr. Ramano so I’m thinking it is time for me to stop watching Grey’s! ENOUGH WITH KILLING THE DOCTORS.

Comment by sonja – May 10, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really happy about these renewals but right now I really just want to read a post-episode recap/speculation/comments on tonight’s Greys! I shouldn’t have been surprised really but I was…gah…

Comment by Robin – May 10, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now all I need is for Scandal and Happy Endings to be renewed. And NBC needs to give Parks a full season order while we’re at it!

Comment by Leah – May 10, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gah, no Grey’s spoilers, people, it hasn’t aired in every time zone yet! I mean, I don’t care because I don’t really watch it, but please be respectful of your TVLine friends that live in the Pacific, Alaska, and Hawaii time zones. It’s only 6 PM in Hawaii right now, you know.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 10, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Revenge, would love to see Pan Am and GCB renewed. Sundays: Once at 8, Pan Am at 9 and GCB at 10. Once would be a good lead in for Pan Am and GCB would just round out the entire night.

Comment by jennifer – May 10, 2012 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • once canceled never renewed

Comment by ha873 – May 16, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post