Fall TV Preview

Breaking: NBC Renews Parenthood For Season 4

Parenthood RenewedThe Bravermans are officially off the bubble: NBC has renewed Parenthood for a 15-episode fourth season.

Although the family drama was listed as a “safe bet” on TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard, the recent cone of silence from NBC about the show’s future — combined with the leak of an unofficial (and likely fake) schedule that had P’hood MIA — triggered a wave of cancellation anxiety across the Twitterverse over the past 48 hours.

RELATED | Fall TV: NBC Picks Up Jekyll & Hyde-Like Medical Drama and Revengeful Sudser

Parenthood is the second veteran Peacock drama (joining Law & Order: SVU) to get renewed by NBC ahead of next week’s official schedule announcement. NBC also has picked up second seasons of the freshman dramas Grimm and Smash.

TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard has been updated with the news.

Tags: ,

Comments (142)

• VICTORY!

Comment by AW – May 10, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I literally just shrieked, “YESSSSSSSSSSS!” when I read this headline. OMG, I love Parenthood, it’s the only drama I watch regularly. Thank you NBC for not being a factory of disappointment, now do the right thing and renew Parks & Rec and Community.

Comment by Pash – May 10, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And just to make it even better, now the 5th season seems like a done deal, as well…they’ll have 68 episodes with Season 4, 20 away from syndication and they rarely give up so close to the obligatory 88 episodes.

Comment by mantua – May 10, 2012 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too! Love it; so well written, such complex characters; it pulls at your heart strings every episode, including the story lines involving Max’s autism. Can’t wait to see how the family grows this coming season.

Comment by Ginny – May 12, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just hearing Parenthood was being renewed for another season was the highlight of my TV viewing year !!! I had been waiting for this news since the last episode aired !! This is the best drama series on TV !! This is a quality show with quality story lines. I LOVE this show !!!! Thank you NBC for realizing this is a show that needs to stay on the air. I can not believe that everyone that has a TV is not watching this wonderful show. Hurry Fall ! I can hardly wait to see the first episode !!!!

Comment by Kay McCabe – July 27, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree kay, good stuff,makes me cry, laugh, I ALSO CANT WAIT FOR FIRST EPISODE.

Comment by JODIE – September 3, 2012 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Best and most realistic show on T.V.

Comment by GayleStocker – November 1, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you NBC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to season 4 parenthood viewers!!!!!!!!

Comment by Melissa – May 10, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeeeeeessssssss!!!!!!!!

Comment by love=-)it – May 12, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, a show that is about the trials and tribulations of one family; no cops, detectives, lawyers or doctors. We ALL can relate to this show. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT !!

Comment by SHARON STAFFORD – May 10, 2012 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WOW!! I am so pleased! I never watch regular television, only cable shows, but this makes me happy to watch TV!! I love the Bravermans…..

Comment by Sue – May 10, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This show has changed my life. Real life situations in a time of crisis America. Thank you NBC we need a show like this right now…………A show the wife and I can watch together>>>>

Comment by Brian – May 10, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is terrific news!! Love Parenthood…keep it going

Comment by Joyce – May 14, 2012 03:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am so happy, you just made my day , I do not watch any other tv show except this one and I make time for it, because it reminds me of our family! Thank you so much for keeping it going! :)

Comment by chandra – May 14, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AWESOME!!!!! finally they r back im so ecxited they bring this show back great choice. thank you NBC for listening to the people

Comment by nancy – May 15, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LOVE PARENTHOOD! So glad it is being renewed! I am a faithful follower of the Braverman Family! Great writing and the cast is fantastic! I look forward to it every week! Thank you for renewing this terrific show!

Comment by Mary Gibbs – May 15, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you for renewing this great show. I am a faithful viewer! I look forward to this show each week! The writing and the cast are absolutely GREAT!

Comment by Mary Gibbs – May 15, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great to hear- but why only 15 episodes?? Least amount so far…

Comment by adam – May 16, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is one of the best programs on TV. I am thrilled to see that it is coming back. I NEVER use the internet to check on TV programs, but this one is worth it. The network got it right this time.
      Thank you form a loyal watcher. Miss P

Comment by Priscilla – May 19, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS IS GREAT NEWS! I LOVE PARENTHOOD! I WILL BE WATCHING!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Mary – May 27, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes, I am so happy I thought it had been cancelled and I was mad!!! Thank goodness I love The Bravermans!!!!!

Comment by Ginger Wilson – May 31, 2012 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is a awesome program! Being a mom of a large family,with all so close,yet so different? I relate on a personal level. Thank You for keeping it!

Comment by Tricia Plunkett – June 25, 2012 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SO EXCITED:)!!!!

Comment by Virginia herrera – June 26, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I do not have the words of excitememt! This is one of many NBC programs,that the writing actors come toghter and crecate wonderful progaminging! Being a parent of a family that is close and larger like this one? Helps me relate! Thank you!

Comment by Tricia Plunkett – June 26, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I would love to see more episodes this season! This program deserves your time and investment!

Comment by Tricia Plunkett – June 26, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OH MY GOD!!!! I hope they never cancel this series!!!! PARENTHOOD ROCKS!!! It is the only TV show that I absolutely love and look forward to. I can’t understand how series get canceled that are so good!!!! What do we do to prevent this from happening? Maybe I have to ask family to make sure they record every episode on their DVR so it gets better ratings!

Comment by Rosalie Godtfredsen – August 29, 2012 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • omg I LOVE THIS SHOW, THIS IS THE BEST SHOW IVE SEEN IN YEARS, THEW JUST DONT MAKE THEM LIKE THIS ANYMORE, GOOD CLEAN FAMILY TV

Comment by JODIE – September 3, 2012 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Parenthood is such a great show. I watch it every week. So glad it didn’t get cancelled!

Comment by scoop – September 11, 2012 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • COOL KNOWING THAT MY REAL LAST NAME IS BRAVERMAN AND THAT SO MUCH OF THIS SHOW REFLICTS, A LOT OF THINGS THAT HAVE HAPPENED IN MY FAMILES LIFE ARE SO TRUE. THIS SHOW IS A TRUE INSPERATION AND A VIVED TRANSCRIPT OF SO MANY PEOPLE DEALING WITH CERTIAN AND DEVERSE FAMILY ISSUES THAT HELP AND COMFORT MANY FAMILES . SO ROCK ON NBC!!
      THANKS FROM THE ORIGNAL BRAVERMAN FAMILY.

Comment by BRADLEY BRAVERMAN – April 25, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s the 4th renewed drama, Grimm, Smash, SVU and now Parenthood. Very excited.

Comment by Smigglesby – May 10, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But it’s the second veteran drama…

Comment by Carly – May 10, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! Good news!!! One of the best shows on tv right now. I’m happy it will be back!

Comment by Caro – May 10, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! 4 MORE YEARS, 4 MORE YEARS!

Comment by Conor Shanahan (@ConorShanahan) – May 10, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO UNBELIEVABLY THRILLED I JUST SCREAMED IN MY OFFICE

Comment by PGV417 – May 10, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THANK YOU!!!

Comment by Chris – May 10, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! So happy.

Comment by Kelly – May 10, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 15 episodes? Is this a shortened final season or doe NBC just think they’re USA or TNT?

Comment by Meg – May 10, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whenever has Parenthood been given orthodox renewals? 13, 22, 18… 15 doesn’t strike me as necessarily a final season, and they haven’t said it is either. I don’t think its intended to imply a decision has been made one way or the other. Also, given rumours of shortened seasons for their existing comedy block, perhaps we are seeing NBC indicate fewer 22 episode shows this year?

Comment by ben – May 10, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Season 3 was actually renewed for 16 episodes but NBC increased the order to 18. But you’re right. I don’t take it as a sign of imminent cancellation and I’m not convinced NBC won’t add more episodes to the order once the season premiers.

Comment by Ryan – May 10, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, I was being over simplistic, because I didn’t want to write a wall of text, but I agree that 15 isn’t necessarily the final number, too.

Comment by ben – May 10, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I was just going to say the same thing, depending on how many viewers and also how well or poorly the new shows do they may add more episodes this upcoming season again.

Comment by sarah – May 10, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • With all the various pickups of new shows I think they are gonna have a very unconventional schedule with shorter seasons.

Comment by mandy – May 10, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And let’s face it, this is NBC, they need to be testing things out to try to find shows that work so they can stop being a joke (all my favorite shows are on NBC though so I guess they aren’t a joke to me.)

Comment by Pash – May 10, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully they will add on 3-6 more episodes during production next season.

Comment by Sg.Grant – May 10, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • oo I hope so. I love this show. I’m just so happy it got another season…more episodes I’d like but I’ll take what I can get for now! It is one of the best shows on TV.

Comment by Robin – May 10, 2012 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!

Comment by Lovemyshows – May 10, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now we need some Emmy noms!!

Comment by Liz – May 10, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes. I think they are being snubbed! Or everybody is just so high on cable shows that they won’t give an amazing network show like this the credit it deserves.

Comment by Fabe – May 10, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy to hear,now Abc get with the program and start renewing some shows

Comment by joe – May 10, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • funny Deadline was just reporting a few days ago that Parenthood wasnt gonna make the 12-13 schedule

Comment by ggny – May 10, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!!!!!

Comment by soarin829 – May 10, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huzzah! If only it was a full 22 episodes. I can’t get enough Parenthood.

Comment by DL – May 10, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Though now the last episode of this season turns out to be kind of crappy, damn.

Comment by Eli – May 10, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah I am having a fantastic t.v. day! With the Grey’s originals renewing their contracts, Cougar Town getting picked up by TBS, and now the Parenthood news, awesome! And add in that epic Castle finale that happened Monday…wow my life just sounded really sad. :D

Comment by Becca – May 10, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Subsitute Grey’s news with Fringe’s renewal and I have the same life as you :-)!

Comment by GeoDiva – May 10, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • For me its subbing Fringe for CT. It’s not been the ideal renewal season, but it’s been close. I’m sad that we are most unlikely to see an Awake renewal – ratings don’t justify it, even if the show itself does :(

Comment by ben – May 10, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Also, I want Harry’s Law renewed. But if it isn’t when NBC unveil their final schedule, is there any chance John Scott could get some episodes on Fringe this year? No?

Comment by ben – May 10, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree – only thing is TBS programming does not air directly in Canada so I hope one of our stations opts to pick CT up, otherwise I may not be able to see it!

Comment by gemapet – May 10, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSSS! :D

Comment by Rachel – May 10, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NBC’s best drama and that is a fact. hope more people tune in next year ! maybe NBC can step it up with the promo?

Comment by Christina – May 10, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, this and Cougar Town getting renewed have seriously made my day if not my week. Too happy

Comment by Juan – May 10, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy but this show deserves a full season!

Comment by sarah – May 10, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone have a link of the leaked NBC schedule?

Comment by Andrew – May 10, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited! Hopefully NBC will order more eps later.

Comment by Coco – May 10, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why only 15 episodes? I am sad about that!

Comment by Amy – May 10, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Phew ! Love this show, so glad it got renewed !

Comment by Deb – May 10, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • fantastic i like this show but how is it a veteran when its only been on for like 2 years?

Comment by freddy – May 10, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The fourth season means it’s been on for three years. That seems like enough for veteran status.

Comment by Carly – May 10, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to hear the good news. 15 episodes for Season Four is fine by me. At least if Parenthood may have the same number of seasons Friday Night Lights had which is five and one word of advice: don’t bring back Minka Kelly back for the upcoming season.

Comment by bad kevin – May 10, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops, my grammar still messed up on the very last sentence. Sorry about that.

Comment by bad kevin – May 10, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still holding out hope for a last minute reprieve of Harrys Law. It’s on a strong streak the second half of this season

Comment by jasie – May 10, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea, great news!!! But why only 15 episodes? Since when did “regular seasons” become so short?!

Comment by rsd – May 10, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE IT! My favorite show!

Comment by Laura Buller – May 10, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LovEEeeeeee this show!!! So glad its going to be on again!!! Look forward to Tuesdays. I need more Amber and Bob Little!!

Comment by Dannielle Sandoval – May 10, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too am thrilled and screamed at my house!

Comment by Lindsay – May 10, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woohoo thank goodness it’s my favorite show.

Comment by cw – May 10, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THANK YOU NBC!!!!! This is the show that my friends and I stay home to watch—LOVE it, love it, love it!

Comment by Colorado RN – May 10, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!!!!!! Can’t wait!!… um… when will it start airing again?? I miss Parenthood!

Comment by Jess – May 10, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Favorite show along with SMASH. So glad it’s being renewed!

Comment by sjmarciapn – May 10, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay so darned happy! Cant wait till the first episode! :)

Comment by tami – May 10, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG, I’m so excited. One of the best shows on tv. And Smash is an awesome show too.

Comment by Debbiw Miller – May 10, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad to hear about Parenthood and Smash. Great shows both. Would love to see Harry’s Law return as well. Keep us up on that one too.

Comment by Nitra Barnes – May 10, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC still better pick up another Jason Katims-produced series County soon.

Comment by bad kevin – May 10, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWESOME!!!! Parenthood rocks!

Comment by Jessica Lands – May 10, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YEAH!!! This is the best show on TV

Comment by Dalne – May 10, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is such great news, and if it’s only going to be a 15 episode run, I kind of hope they wait to air until January 13th rather than have it be over in February again.

Comment by Anne – May 10, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love parenthood soooooo much!!!! I cant wait to see season 4!!!!

Now lets get this show an award and recognized more :) Thank you NBC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you just made my day :)

Comment by Melissa Dawson – May 10, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m SO EXCITED! This is my favorite show and I’ve been worried that I’d have to lay it to rest. I don’t keep up with a lot of shows, but this story just captures your interest. I love it. Way to go NBC!

Comment by loveintheforest57 – May 10, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yaaa this is my FAVORITE show! So excited! Keep it going for years to come pleeeease!!!

Comment by Tracy – May 10, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • now community and P&R. do it.

Comment by joaopedromillan – May 10, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!! Parenthood is the ONLY program I regularly wait for….oh, except for Who Do You Think You Are, which is fabulous, too! Thank goodness it won’t go the way of My So-Called Life decades ago, the only true to life program about high schoolers I’ve ever seen (and I taught high school for 32 years.) Way to go, NBC!

Comment by Barbara Kimball – May 10, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool beans.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 10, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent news, excellent show! Can´t wait to spend more time with my TV family!!

Comment by Danula – May 10, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post