TVLine Items: Joss Whedon's Best of Buffy Countdown, Everwood Dad Is Collar'd and More

Ever wonder which Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes Joss Whedon loves most? Well, Logo’s about to solve that mystery.

The cabler will spend Saturday, May 19 (beginning at 10 am) airing the Sunnydale creator’s Top 10 favorite installments, which include the game-changing “Innocence,” the music-tinged “Once More With Feeling,” the Emmy-nominated “Hush,” the harrowing “The Body,” the heartbreaking “Becoming Part II” and the first season finale, “Prophecy Girl.”

Rounding out Whedon’s picks are “Doppelgangland,” “The Wish,” “Restless” and “Conversations with Dead People.” Did your faves make the cut?

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Treat Williams has booked a recurring role in the upcoming season of White Collar, EW.com reports. The Everwood alum will play a boorish undercover officer with “deeply rooted ties” to Neal. (All together now: Hmmmmm….)  Entourage‘s Perrey Reeves has also been Collar‘d as an over-ambitious “fixer” in a Season 4 episode.

RELATED | White Collar Buzz: Why Is Smallville Alum Laura Vandervoort Kissing Neal?!

• Fox’s Family Guy and American Dad, which are already renewed for next season, have been picked up a season beyond that each, the toons’ 12th and ninth, respectively.

• Big-screen funnyman Russell Brand has been tapped to host the 2012 MTV Movie Awards, airing Sunday, June 3 at 9/8c.

• AMC has ordered 16-episode second seasons of its unscripted series Talking Dead and Comic Book Men.

• DirecTV has given the green light to Rogue, a 10-episode drama starring Thandie Newton (Crash). The project — which is the cabler’s first original series — centers on cop who is tormented by both her son’s death and the idea that her actions may have contributed to it.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Ryan says:

Don’t you mean Family Guy was renewed for 12th, since this season is 10, and, thus, next season is 11?

2. Meghan says:

Becoming Part II – best Buffy episode of all time, hands down. I’d also name The Prom, Surprise/Innocence, Passion, Amends as the best episodes.

• Love all of those as well. I just watch Passion again the other day.

• Deion says:

No. ‘The Gift’? Joss, you wound me.

• Melanie says:

I know! I thought the same thing.

• Stephanie says:

Oooh. Not me. I cry way too much when I watch the end of that episode. It’s so good, I want to love it, but I just can’t. It’s just too sad, especially knowing that was almost a series finale.

• I really loved Tabula Rasa….

• Emily says:

Becoming Part II makes me cry every single time.

• lorna says:

Prophecy Girl is one of my favorites! OMG “Restless was kind of dumb.” Should air “The Gift.” What a great ep, esp the end on the tower. Bawled when it aired.

• AB says:

I’d include the Gift. Best Buffy/Spike moments in that episode, and the moment when Buffy dies is awesome.

• Carrie says:

My favorite episode, too. I agree with your entire list. All episodes I’ve watched over and over again because they’re so awesome. I also love “Earshot”, “I Only Have Eyes for You”, “Graduation Day” & “Lovers Walk”. For laughs, it’s “Something Blue”, “Band Candy”, “Pangs”, “Tabula Rasa” & “Storyteller”.

• MelindaB says:

I rate “Something Blue”, “Band Candy”, “Pangs” and “Tabula Rasa” (“Randy Giles? Why not just call me ‘Horny Giles’ or ‘Desperate for a Shag Giles’?”) as some of the funniest episodes, but I also love “The Puppet Show” from season 1, because the sound of Sid the puppet scurrying along the floor, while maybe meant to be freaky, always makes me laugh…and the random, bizarre coda is just awesome.

3. wordsmith says:

That’s about as good a collection of Buffy episodes as I could imagine – and it conveniently has at least one from each season.
    I’ve got personal affection for certain others – Something Blue (where everything Willow says is coming disastrously true), and This Year’s Girl/Who Are You? (aka the Buffy/Faith body swap) – but Joss’ picks really do cover most of the truly great artistic moments of the series.

• Paige says:

Totally agree with you on Who Are You? Perfection.

• wordsmith says:

Though I suppose it’s worth pointing out that, of the 10 episodes, 8 are ones Joss wrote and directed himself. (all but The Wish and Conversations…)

• Nat says:

Four different writers wrote each of the four “conversations” and Joss was one of them and he heavily influenced “The Wish” too (he knew that Anya would come back for his ep “Doppelgangland” and the twist of nobody remembers it and learns a damn thing was his as well.) Basically, his favorite episodes are the ones he did himself. :(

• Jessica says:

That is because Joss is an amazing writer and director! He knows what he is doing, I pretty much every Buffy episode but reading through the list of his favorites I kept getting more and more excited about his choices! Love Him!

• He’s the show’s creator, of course he has major influence on a lot of the episodes, particularly the early ones.

4. katherine says:

The Gift (season five finale) is actually my favorite episode of Buffy. But the rest of the list is great!

5. Ed says:

Wow, I thought for sure The Gift would’ve made the list.

6. Sam says:

Restless is my all-time favorite episode. Conversations with Dead People is an easy number 2.
    More controversially, my top ten would also include I Only Have Eyes For You from Season 2, and the two-part season 6 premiere.
    Also, I’m really shocked that the two-parter where Buffy becomes Faith didn’t make the list. Those episodes are some of the most fun in the series.

7. Michael says:

Apparently my list and Joss’ list overlap. A lot.

8. Great selection of Buffy episodes. There are so many great ones though, I know I would never be able to pick just ten.

As far as White Collar, we are supposed to learn more about Neal’s family next season, so I’d guess this man has something to do with that.

9. Fernanda says:

Prophecy Girl (season 1)
    The Pack (season 1)
    When she was bad (season 2)
    Innocence (season 2)
    Passion (season 2)
    Killed by Deatn (season 2)
    Becoming part II (season 2)
    Bad Girls (season 3)
    Doppelgangland (season 3)
    Earshot (season 3)
    Hush (season 4)
    This Year’s Girl (season 4)
    Who are you (season 4)
    Restless (season 4)
    Family (season 5)
    Fool for Love (season 5)
    The Body (season 5)
    The Gift (season 5)
    Once More with Feeling (season 6)
    Hell’s Bells (season 6)
    Normal Again (season 6)
    Entropy (season 6)
    Seeing Red (season 6)
    Villians (season 6)
    Two to Go (season 6)
    Grave (season 6)
    Selfless (season 7)
    Conversation with Dead People (season 7)
    Lies my parents told me (season 7)
    Chosen (season 7)

• Marc says:

It’s frankly amazing that there are so many people out there who’ve never seen an episode of Buffy. It’s a Top 10 all-time show, a game-changer, culturally-speaking. Nothing will ever measure up to that quality. For instance, The Vampire Diaries is a very good show, but it’s really not even in the same league with Buffy.

• rubytu says:

You know it didn’t get any awards, only “hush” was even nominated for an emmy. Of course, lots of great movies of all time weren’t the ‘Best Picture” of their year, either! It’s funny how this works. The ‘experts’ – well, haha on them!

• JeniLee says:

The Pack? To each his/her own. But for me thats one of the worst episodes of TV I have ever seen haha

• aud says:

This! Love Normal Again, so subversive, but The Pack, really?! Almost as bad as Beer Bad, having said that do like all the allusions they make about Xander remembering his time as a hyena in later eps, classic Joss!

• Princess Adora says:

Ooh Normal Again! I love that one!! And Seeing Red!! and Grave!! and Selfless!! Aaah!! I love Buffy!!!!!! lol

• AB says:

What is this, your top 50? No one needs to see this. Have some discretion! I mean, “The Pack”? Seriously?

• Christopher says:

“The Pack” is awesome! What are you talking about? The students freaking eat Principal Flutie!!! Sure, it’s one of the cheesiest episodes of the show, but it was hilariously bad, both intentionally and unintentionally.

10. Yeah, can’t believe Joss didn’t toss in the series finale.

The choices are, honestly, a bit obvious. I get that non-showy episodes might not play as well in a marathon, but I would have hoped for less predictable ones. We all know Hush and Once More…are classics. Would have liked to see some unheralded eps (including more he didn’t do) make the cut.

11. Lila says:

Yeah, those are some of my favourite Buffy episodes as well. Passion is missing on that list though.

12. no ‘the gift’ ? wow …….

13. rubytu says:

I think ‘The Body’ should be added to the list. It was so well done, the response to death, very real. The way Buffy was numb, shocked, I could feel it. Really, really better than any I’ve ever seen in that regard.

• Princess Adora says:

The Body is in the list :) I agree, it was a beautiful and real episode. No music in the background, it was really based in reality. Loved it even though it makes me cry every time.

• rubytu says:

Yes, it was so real. And this show, not to mention this episode, didn’t get any Emmys! What the hell are those people thinking?

14. Amy says:

Man, I totally need the complete set so I can sit down and waste a complete weekend :) :)

15. Jon says:

My favorite Buffy episode is RESTLESS. Other standouts are FEAR, ITSLEF; HUSH; THE BODY and INNOCENCE. I do, however, happen to hate COVERSATIONSVWITH DEAD PEOPLE. I never liked it, and I never will.

16. Louisecee says:

Earshot, graduation day, becoming pt 1 and 2. Want to rewatch buffy now x

17. rubytu says:

also, “Something Blue”

18. RUCookie says:

Buffy remains my favorite TV serial to this day… my DVDs get dusted off at at least once a year. That does not stop me from watching when LOGO does a marathon. When I think about BtVS, there are obvious classics – like “The Becoming Part 2″ (that I still cry at); Hush, OMWF, The Body. Then there are the others, that are just amazing, but get lost to the better known classics. So if I got to add 10 more to Josh’s list, I would add:
    * I Only Have Eyes For You (Buffy/Angel suprise twist)
    * The Prom (yeah for public recognition)
    * Wild At Heart (true hearbreak)
    * Who Are You (Faith and Buffy mix it up)
    * Checkpoint (Buffy inspires her gang)
    * The Gift (the non ending/ending)
    * Life Serial (the faces SMG makes still make me laugh hysterically)
    * Tabula Rasa (you needed some fun in S6 and I love spike as Gile’s son)
    * Beneath You (that ending scene in the church was killer)
    * Chosen (inspired ending)

19. Yunuem says:

Fósil for Love is my favourite

20. I’d have to include ‘I Only Have Eyes For You’, ‘The Prom’, ‘Graduation Day Part II’, ‘Something Blue’, ‘Who Are You’, ‘Fool for Love’, ‘The Gift’, ‘Life Serial’, ‘Normal Again’, and ‘Chosen’.

I’d also definitely discard Restless, not that great a finale. It was a pretty good filler episode, but not a good finale. Although I do love the Cheese Man.

21. S says:

For me, the best episode is probably The Body but I have TONS of other favs like Convs. With Dead Ppl, the prom episode, beocming (I and II), innocence, passion, the gift, chosen, hush, once more with feeling, tabula rasa

22. I really agree about Tabula Rasa.

But, really, I could go one with watching Once More with Feeling over and over alone… and forever! <3

23. Behzad says:

Something Blue needs to be in this list