TVLine Items: Joss Whedon's Best of Buffy Countdown, Everwood Dad Is Collar'd and More

Ever wonder which Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes Joss Whedon loves most? Well, Logo’s about to solve that mystery.

The cabler will spend Saturday, May 19 (beginning at 10 am) airing the Sunnydale creator’s Top 10 favorite installments, which include the game-changing “Innocence,” the music-tinged “Once More With Feeling,” the Emmy-nominated “Hush,” the harrowing “The Body,” the heartbreaking “Becoming Part II” and the first season finale, “Prophecy Girl.”

Rounding out Whedon’s picks are “Doppelgangland,” “The Wish,” “Restless” and “Conversations with Dead People.” Did your faves make the cut?

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

Treat Williams has booked a recurring role in the upcoming season of White Collar, EW.com reports. The Everwood alum will play a boorish undercover officer with “deeply rooted ties” to Neal. (All together now: Hmmmmm….)  Entourage‘s Perrey Reeves has also been Collar‘d as an over-ambitious “fixer” in a Season 4 episode.

RELATED | White Collar Buzz: Why Is Smallville Alum Laura Vandervoort Kissing Neal?!

• Fox’s Family Guy and American Dad, which are already renewed for next season, have been picked up a season beyond that each, the toons’ 12th and ninth, respectively.

• Big-screen funnyman Russell Brand has been tapped to host the 2012 MTV Movie Awards, airing Sunday, June 3 at 9/8c.

• AMC has ordered 16-episode second seasons of its unscripted series Talking Dead and Comic Book Men.

• DirecTV has given the green light to Rogue, a 10-episode drama starring Thandie Newton (Crash). The project — which is the cabler’s first original series — centers on cop who is tormented by both her son’s death and the idea that her actions may have contributed to it.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (62)

• Don’t you mean Family Guy was renewed for 12th, since this season is 10, and, thus, next season is 11?

Comment by Ryan – May 10, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • also american dad would be season 9 since its in its seventh right now.

Comment by ed – May 10, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • All fixed! (Though the gist was clear.) Management

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 10, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Becoming Part II – best Buffy episode of all time, hands down. I’d also name The Prom, Surprise/Innocence, Passion, Amends as the best episodes.

Comment by Meghan – May 10, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love all of those as well. I just watch Passion again the other day.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – May 10, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. ‘The Gift’? Joss, you wound me.

Comment by Deion – May 10, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know! I thought the same thing.

Comment by Melanie – May 10, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oooh. Not me. I cry way too much when I watch the end of that episode. It’s so good, I want to love it, but I just can’t. It’s just too sad, especially knowing that was almost a series finale.

Comment by Stephanie – May 10, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really loved Tabula Rasa….

Comment by Gloria (@NoxHowl) – May 10, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s my fav too!

Comment by Princess Adora – May 10, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Love this one too!

Comment by Lime – May 10, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Becoming Part II makes me cry every single time.

Comment by Emily – May 10, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Prophecy Girl is one of my favorites! OMG “Restless was kind of dumb.” Should air “The Gift.” What a great ep, esp the end on the tower. Bawled when it aired.

Comment by lorna – May 10, 2012 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d include the Gift. Best Buffy/Spike moments in that episode, and the moment when Buffy dies is awesome.

Comment by AB – May 10, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My favorite episode, too. I agree with your entire list. All episodes I’ve watched over and over again because they’re so awesome. I also love “Earshot”, “I Only Have Eyes for You”, “Graduation Day” & “Lovers Walk”. For laughs, it’s “Something Blue”, “Band Candy”, “Pangs”, “Tabula Rasa” & “Storyteller”.

Comment by Carrie – May 10, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I rate “Something Blue”, “Band Candy”, “Pangs” and “Tabula Rasa” (“Randy Giles? Why not just call me ‘Horny Giles’ or ‘Desperate for a Shag Giles’?”) as some of the funniest episodes, but I also love “The Puppet Show” from season 1, because the sound of Sid the puppet scurrying along the floor, while maybe meant to be freaky, always makes me laugh…and the random, bizarre coda is just awesome.

Comment by MelindaB – May 10, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s about as good a collection of Buffy episodes as I could imagine – and it conveniently has at least one from each season.
    I’ve got personal affection for certain others – Something Blue (where everything Willow says is coming disastrously true), and This Year’s Girl/Who Are You? (aka the Buffy/Faith body swap) – but Joss’ picks really do cover most of the truly great artistic moments of the series.

Comment by wordsmith – May 10, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you on Who Are You? Perfection.

Comment by Paige – May 10, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Though I suppose it’s worth pointing out that, of the 10 episodes, 8 are ones Joss wrote and directed himself. (all but The Wish and Conversations…)

Comment by wordsmith – May 10, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Four different writers wrote each of the four “conversations” and Joss was one of them and he heavily influenced “The Wish” too (he knew that Anya would come back for his ep “Doppelgangland” and the twist of nobody remembers it and learns a damn thing was his as well.) Basically, his favorite episodes are the ones he did himself. :(

Comment by Nat – May 10, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That is because Joss is an amazing writer and director! He knows what he is doing, I pretty much every Buffy episode but reading through the list of his favorites I kept getting more and more excited about his choices! Love Him!

Comment by Jessica – May 10, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • He’s the show’s creator, of course he has major influence on a lot of the episodes, particularly the early ones.

Comment by Miranda Valenti (@EmmeElleVee) – May 10, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Gift (season five finale) is actually my favorite episode of Buffy. But the rest of the list is great!

Comment by katherine – May 10, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, I thought for sure The Gift would’ve made the list.

Comment by Ed – May 10, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Restless is my all-time favorite episode. Conversations with Dead People is an easy number 2.
    More controversially, my top ten would also include I Only Have Eyes For You from Season 2, and the two-part season 6 premiere.
    Also, I’m really shocked that the two-parter where Buffy becomes Faith didn’t make the list. Those episodes are some of the most fun in the series.

Comment by Sam – May 10, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It obviously didn’t make it because it’s wrong.

Comment by Paige – May 10, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love “I Only Have Eyes for You.” That would’ve been on my list. Along with The Gift, Passion, and the Graduation episodes. That moment where Angel leaves – still breaks me.

Comment by Kristin – May 10, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh I love Graduation Day, good choice! It’s so emotionally powerful when the whole class rallies together to fight the mayor, and I always like when Xander gets to take charge!

Comment by Princess Adora – May 10, 2012 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I Only Have Eyes For You was a big one for me too. Loved that one.

Comment by Fiona – May 10, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree with I Only Have Eyes for You. I’d add Passion to the list.

Comment by cmrice10 – May 10, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Apparently my list and Joss’ list overlap. A lot.

Comment by Michael – May 10, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great selection of Buffy episodes. There are so many great ones though, I know I would never be able to pick just ten.

As far as White Collar, we are supposed to learn more about Neal’s family next season, so I’d guess this man has something to do with that.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – May 10, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Prophecy Girl (season 1)
    The Pack (season 1)
    When she was bad (season 2)
    Innocence (season 2)
    Passion (season 2)
    Killed by Deatn (season 2)
    Becoming part II (season 2)
    Bad Girls (season 3)
    Doppelgangland (season 3)
    Earshot (season 3)
    Hush (season 4)
    This Year’s Girl (season 4)
    Who are you (season 4)
    Restless (season 4)
    Family (season 5)
    Fool for Love (season 5)
    The Body (season 5)
    The Gift (season 5)
    Once More with Feeling (season 6)
    Hell’s Bells (season 6)
    Normal Again (season 6)
    Entropy (season 6)
    Seeing Red (season 6)
    Villians (season 6)
    Two to Go (season 6)
    Grave (season 6)
    Selfless (season 7)
    Conversation with Dead People (season 7)
    Lies my parents told me (season 7)
    Chosen (season 7)

Comment by Fernanda – May 10, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s frankly amazing that there are so many people out there who’ve never seen an episode of Buffy. It’s a Top 10 all-time show, a game-changer, culturally-speaking. Nothing will ever measure up to that quality. For instance, The Vampire Diaries is a very good show, but it’s really not even in the same league with Buffy.

Comment by Marc – May 10, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You know it didn’t get any awards, only “hush” was even nominated for an emmy. Of course, lots of great movies of all time weren’t the ‘Best Picture” of their year, either! It’s funny how this works. The ‘experts’ – well, haha on them!

Comment by rubytu – May 10, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Pack? To each his/her own. But for me thats one of the worst episodes of TV I have ever seen haha

Comment by JeniLee – May 10, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This! Love Normal Again, so subversive, but The Pack, really?! Almost as bad as Beer Bad, having said that do like all the allusions they make about Xander remembering his time as a hyena in later eps, classic Joss!

Comment by aud – May 10, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ooh Normal Again! I love that one!! And Seeing Red!! and Grave!! and Selfless!! Aaah!! I love Buffy!!!!!! lol

Comment by Princess Adora – May 10, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What is this, your top 50? No one needs to see this. Have some discretion! I mean, “The Pack”? Seriously?

Comment by AB – May 10, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “The Pack” is awesome! What are you talking about? The students freaking eat Principal Flutie!!! Sure, it’s one of the cheesiest episodes of the show, but it was hilariously bad, both intentionally and unintentionally.

Comment by Christopher – May 12, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, can’t believe Joss didn’t toss in the series finale.

The choices are, honestly, a bit obvious. I get that non-showy episodes might not play as well in a marathon, but I would have hoped for less predictable ones. We all know Hush and Once More…are classics. Would have liked to see some unheralded eps (including more he didn’t do) make the cut.

Comment by cinephilactic – May 10, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, those are some of my favourite Buffy episodes as well. Passion is missing on that list though.

Comment by Lila – May 10, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no ‘the gift’ ? wow …….

Comment by mc joãozinho (@joaotc) – May 10, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think ‘The Body’ should be added to the list. It was so well done, the response to death, very real. The way Buffy was numb, shocked, I could feel it. Really, really better than any I’ve ever seen in that regard.

Comment by rubytu – May 10, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Body is in the list :) I agree, it was a beautiful and real episode. No music in the background, it was really based in reality. Loved it even though it makes me cry every time.

Comment by Princess Adora – May 10, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, it was so real. And this show, not to mention this episode, didn’t get any Emmys! What the hell are those people thinking?

Comment by rubytu – May 10, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, I totally need the complete set so I can sit down and waste a complete weekend :) :)

Comment by Amy – May 10, 2012 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite Buffy episode is RESTLESS. Other standouts are FEAR, ITSLEF; HUSH; THE BODY and INNOCENCE. I do, however, happen to hate COVERSATIONSVWITH DEAD PEOPLE. I never liked it, and I never will.

Comment by Jon – May 10, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Earshot, graduation day, becoming pt 1 and 2. Want to rewatch buffy now x

Comment by Louisecee – May 10, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • also, “Something Blue”

Comment by rubytu – May 10, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Buffy remains my favorite TV serial to this day… my DVDs get dusted off at at least once a year. That does not stop me from watching when LOGO does a marathon. When I think about BtVS, there are obvious classics – like “The Becoming Part 2″ (that I still cry at); Hush, OMWF, The Body. Then there are the others, that are just amazing, but get lost to the better known classics. So if I got to add 10 more to Josh’s list, I would add:
    * I Only Have Eyes For You (Buffy/Angel suprise twist)
    * The Prom (yeah for public recognition)
    * Wild At Heart (true hearbreak)
    * Who Are You (Faith and Buffy mix it up)
    * Checkpoint (Buffy inspires her gang)
    * The Gift (the non ending/ending)
    * Life Serial (the faces SMG makes still make me laugh hysterically)
    * Tabula Rasa (you needed some fun in S6 and I love spike as Gile’s son)
    * Beneath You (that ending scene in the church was killer)
    * Chosen (inspired ending)

Comment by RUCookie – May 10, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes to recognition in the prom right? about bloody time! hated seeing class protector award almost permanently damaged in season 4

Comment by aud – May 10, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeees, Beneath You is definitely on my list, it’s in top five tear-jerker Buffy moments!

Comment by Jessica Oliver – May 10, 2012 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fósil for Love is my favourite

Comment by Yunuem – May 10, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I meant “fool” for Love, damn autocorrector

Comment by Yunuem – May 10, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d have to include ‘I Only Have Eyes For You’, ‘The Prom’, ‘Graduation Day Part II’, ‘Something Blue’, ‘Who Are You’, ‘Fool for Love’, ‘The Gift’, ‘Life Serial’, ‘Normal Again’, and ‘Chosen’.

I’d also definitely discard Restless, not that great a finale. It was a pretty good filler episode, but not a good finale. Although I do love the Cheese Man.

Comment by Miranda Valenti – May 10, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Restless was a different finale but that’s why I liked it. And it gave SO MANY hints and foreshadowing

Comment by S – May 10, 2012 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me, the best episode is probably The Body but I have TONS of other favs like Convs. With Dead Ppl, the prom episode, beocming (I and II), innocence, passion, the gift, chosen, hush, once more with feeling, tabula rasa

Comment by S – May 10, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really agree about Tabula Rasa.

But, really, I could go one with watching Once More with Feeling over and over alone… and forever! <3

Comment by Barbie Furtado – May 10, 2012 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post