It's Official: Cougar Town Jumps to TBS

Get More: News

Cougar Town TBSTBS is gonna have to start stocking its crafts services tables with pinot noir: The cable net has officially plucked Cougar Town from ABC in a deal that paves the way for a 15-episode fourth season to debut in early 2013.

In addition, TBS has acquired rerun rights to the show’s first three seasons.

RELATED | Season Finale Spoilers: Scoop on 54 Big Finishes — Including Cougar Town!

Cougar Town is a smart, whimsical sitcom that draws its humor from likable, relatable characters,” said Michael Wright, president, head of programming for TBS, TNT and Turner Classic Movies (TCM). “We are thrilled to have Cougar Town moving to the TBS neighborhood as the network continues to expand its slate of original comedy series.”

The move caps a challenging year for the Cul-de-Sac Crew that included a delayed third season, a trimmed episode order, a less-than-ideal Tuesday time slot and an unprecedented grass roots PR campaign organized and funded by co-creator Bill Lawrence.

It’s unclear what changes, if any, will be made to the show in advance of its relocation. Hopefully none.

Thoughts? Relieved? Drunk with happiness? Grateful to TBS?

Comments (109)

• Tonight we play Penny Can!

Comment by George – May 10, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha fantastic celebration game! :)

Comment by Rebecca – May 10, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Penny Caaaaaan

Comment by Juan – May 10, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am filling up Big Carl as we speak!! So excited. Who needs ABC?

Comment by Eric – May 10, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC are typically my fave of the networks, but they’ve screwed up BIG TIME. This series is awesome and well done to TBS for recognising it

Comment by Brock – May 10, 2012 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YIppeee!!! Hooray!!
      TBS proves that they have the brains to keep this show going.. AWESOME!!

Comment by dianaprince – May 13, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! I’m glad TBS is giving Cougar Town two more seasons!

Comment by Sasha – May 10, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, confusing, Twitter says 2-season deal, this article states one-season deal.

Comment by Sasha – May 10, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The actors signed 2 yr contracts but TBS only ordered a year so far, hopefully more!! :)

Comment by lilygrey10 – May 10, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as long as it’s still on the air I’m happy!

Comment by matthew c – May 10, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THANK YOU TBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Screw you, ABC.

Comment by apple – May 10, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that.

Comment by D. Marie (@heydahlin) – May 10, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word up! ABC is probably the best network at destroying good comedies. Better Off Ted was treated even worse than Cougar Town and do NOT get me started on Pushing Daisies. Meanwhile, they’ll hang onto crappy stuff with middling ratings, like Lost, Desperate Housewives, that Tim Allen crap, Private Practice. You’d think they’d put a little more effort into Cougar Town, since it’s an ABC Studios show, meaning they make more syndication money the more eps they sell into syndication. Not when they can focus all their attention on Modern Family!

Comment by KevyB – May 10, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lost was an incredible show.

Comment by mark – May 10, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY. Still shaking with joy!!!!!

Comment by Margie Rife – May 10, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does this apply to viewers in Canada? Would it still be on CityTV or would that change too?

Comment by Brittany – May 10, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It shouldn’t affect it – CityTV’s deal will be with ABC Studios, not the network itself, and so as long as it’s being made, we should still get Cougar Town on CityTV.

Comment by jleask – May 10, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not necessarily. City may be carrying CT ONLY because they can take advantage of the simultaneous substitution rules (where Canadian channels can insert their signals over the American channel/network). With the show no longer on a channel that we get, City may not see the value in continuing with the show.

Comment by TV Gord – May 10, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for asking because I’m wondering the same thing – I thought for sure that I had TBS on one of my channels but for some reason now I cannot locate it – I hope CityTV stays with it!

Comment by davey – May 10, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • We use to get TBS, now we get Peachtree TV.

Comment by guest – May 10, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s almost true, but it’s not. WTBS used to have two versions, one national superstation and one local Atlanta channel. Because of the ineptness of the CRTC (Canada’s FCC, for American readers), when they approved TBS for airing in Canada, they approved the wrong channel, the local Atlanta one, and not the national one. Because their schedules back then were similar, nobody noticed. So when the local version of WTBS became Peachtree, we realized that Canada was hooked to the wrong channel. Now we’re stuck with Peachtree and we no longer get the now-distinct TBS. I know it’s complicated, but it’s a ridiculous situation.

Comment by TV Gord – May 10, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Now that we officially have at least 2 more seasons, can we stretch out the Laurie/Travis relaysh? Because I want it to happen, but I’m still SLIGHTLY skeeved by it.

Also, I expected to super hate her, but can we keep Baby Mama around on some sort of more-than-recurring-but-not-quite-regular basis? She’s about 90 kinds of fabulous.

Comment by Amanda Millwood (@amandamillwood) – May 10, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m relieved that Cougar Town is not officially canceled. I hope it finds it’s second groove on TBS and lasts a long time. That station definitely needs some sitcoms that don’t include the name “Tyler Perry” in the title.

Comment by Robtimus Prime (@BetaRayBob) – May 10, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YUP. Totally agree!!!!

Comment by Pinky_77 – May 10, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • def. co-sign, This is a big step to separate from the TP Reign

Comment by mickbricks – May 10, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would finally give the show a new title: “Tyler Perry’s Town of Cougars”…

Comment by Melvin – May 10, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Raising a glass of pinot to TBS today!

Comment by Abby – May 10, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just out of curiosity, what does this mean for Dan Byrd & Josh Hopkins if there pilots get picked up. Do they have the option to jump ship since the show is moving networks. I hope not :(

Comment by George – May 10, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Their pilots were in 2nd position to Cougar Town, so they’ll be on Cougar Town, similar to Damon Wayons Jr. on New Girl. Happy Endings was picked up, so he stayed on Happy Endings.

Comment by AJ – May 10, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Doubtful, since the show’s still being produced by the same company (ABC Studios). Also, why would they leave? It’s a guaranteed job for at least a season, whereas a new show could get canned after three episodes, or not go to series at all.

Comment by Jacob – May 10, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Doubtful. Their contracts would be with ABC Studios, not the network itself.

Comment by Jase – May 10, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It depends. Are they getting the same money they would have gotten on ABC? If they have to take a pay cut, they can likely get out of Cougar Town if they have a better deal elsewhere. They may have the leeway to renegotiate.

Comment by TV Gord – May 10, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One or two seasons?

Comment by Tiago Ramos – May 10, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My ears are cying with delight. Off to tell Abed about the awesome new development!

Comment by Raksha – May 10, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry but this show is just not funny :P Frankly it’s lame. I love Courteney Cox and she could do so much better on another show.

Comment by Jim – May 10, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not cool. Not cool. Not cool.

Comment by JimHater – May 10, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really! Not funny. I wonder why I laugh at it every week, then. It either says something about MY sense of humor…or yours.

Comment by TV Gord – May 10, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE COUGAR TOWN… AS LONG AS IT STILL ON, THATS ALL THATS MATTER…WORK IT OUT COUGAR TOWN… LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SHOW AND ALL THE CHARACTERS……………..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by dre23222 – May 10, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on The Reel Times.

Comment by reeltimes – May 10, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! Cheers to TBS :) It’s ABC’s loss…

Comment by nyla – May 10, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I care about it CT gets another season! WHOO! So excited! :)

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – May 10, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PENNNY CANN!!!! So excited! Thank you TBS!

Comment by mandy – May 10, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guess ABC has more new comedies to deal with.

Comment by bad kevin – May 10, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ausiello, you and TBS just made my day! PENNY CAN!!!

Comment by Kelly – May 10, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope that a Canadian broadcaster carries it as we don’t get TBS up here anymore. Or even canadian itunes!

Comment by lb – May 10, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • where are you in Canada that you don’t get TBS? it’s part of almost every standard cable package!

Comment by Dave – May 10, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not here it isn’t. What was once our TBS is now Peachtree TV. There’s a great comment above explaining it.

Comment by tripoli – May 10, 2012 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You just made my Thursday right here! Uncork the wine! #SixSeasonsAndAMovie!

Comment by Michael – May 10, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!! Thank you, TBS! Thank you, creators of Cougar Town for not giving up!

Comment by Jenny – May 10, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy crap, that was fast!

Comment by Kalee – May 10, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s pound some grape in celebration!!

Comment by themediamedium – May 10, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hell to the yes!!

Comment by Christina – May 10, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Abed likes this post.

Comment by Abed – May 10, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I love you TBS and I love you Cougar Town! Year made!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Liz – May 10, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TBS is perfect for Cougar Town. They’ll treat it right! I’m so glad this went through and I’m only a casual fan.

Comment by T – May 10, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ill wait to celebrate till we find out which cast members are returning full time

Comment by ggny – May 10, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! PENNY CAN!!!!!!

Comment by Conor Shanahan (@ConorShanahan) – May 10, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST NEWS EVER!!!! Just hours after reading about the cancelling of Alcatraz, I needed some good news.
    My Cul-de-Sac CREW!!!!!!!!!

Comment by mia – May 10, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Cougar and less marriage-baby stuff !!!

Comment by lepigiste@mac.com – May 10, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2013? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Comment by Linda – May 10, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tbs will treat cougar town so much better than Abc , a big thanks to you Tbs

Comment by joe – May 10, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Penny can 4eva!

Comment by Megan – May 10, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited! Also excited that they will air the first three seasons! I think Cougar Town will fit into the TBS brand wonderfully. Very Funny.

Comment by Rolfe – May 10, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I got chills and a tear in my eye! Thank you TBS! First Conan and now Cougar Town! You are quickly becoming my all time favorite network!! YAY!!!!

Comment by Jenn – May 10, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy and excited to see Cougar Town moving to TBS!

Comment by G – May 10, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!!! But, I’m wondering if they’ll change the name now and will not use those opening captions?

Comment by AW – May 10, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i hope they change the name of the show. those self-deprecating title card just look desperate and not funny now. they had so many chance to change that awful name, now that it’s moving to a new home, perhaps a new name too. Cougar Town was the worst name ever when the show was about cougars, and it still is now that they abandoned those early premise.

Comment by W – May 10, 2012 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree! I hope they change it too! With a fresh start at TBS, it would be perfect timing.

Comment by AW – May 11, 2012 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well ABC loss is TBS gain. I hope this doesn’t change CityTV airing the show in Canada. Has it ever been discussed why the idiot suits at ABC hate Cougar Town. I mean messing around with the schedule, reducing the episode order, never advertising… WTF?

Comment by Talia – May 10, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Suck it, ABC! Gracias, TBS!!!

Comment by Lorie – May 10, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad that they get to air reruns of the first three seasons, too, because I didn’t watch the first season due to the stated premise and the title. Then I caught an episode and realized how funny the show is, and how it’s not what it first purported to be.

TBS, please don’t mess with the show. If you bought it as-is, then leave it as-is.

Comment by MelindaB – May 10, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! Added bonus, one less reason to watch ABC!

Comment by Walt – May 10, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THANK YOU TBS!!!

Comment by Mary Kate – May 10, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, this officially gets TBS off my $#*! list for cancelling My Boys.

Comment by themurph2000 – May 10, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reminds me of when TNT took in Southland. NBC was failing it and look at it now, going to have it’s 5th season in 2013. And sister channel TBS doing the same for Cougar Town means it will enjoy the same great fate, I believe. And I’m with the show wherever it goes.

Comment by Sarah – May 10, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TBS is my new favorite network!

Comment by MommaC (@JulieCatrambone) – May 10, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad I will get to keep watching Cougar Town!!!!! Thanks TBS!

Comment by Carm – May 10, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll grant Wright “smart” and “whimsical” for the show, but “likable” and “relatable” characters? I thought that the appeal of these characters was that they behave in such extreme ways and tend to solve their problems over many glasses of wine. That’s not exactly “likable” or “relatable” to me, but I may be missing something others see here.

Comment by Nate – May 10, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post