It's Official: Cougar Town Jumps to TBS

Cougar Town TBSTBS is gonna have to start stocking its crafts services tables with pinot noir: The cable net has officially plucked Cougar Town from ABC in a deal that paves the way for a 15-episode fourth season to debut in early 2013.

In addition, TBS has acquired rerun rights to the show’s first three seasons.

RELATED | Season Finale Spoilers: Scoop on 54 Big Finishes — Including Cougar Town!

Cougar Town is a smart, whimsical sitcom that draws its humor from likable, relatable characters,” said Michael Wright, president, head of programming for TBS, TNT and Turner Classic Movies (TCM). “We are thrilled to have Cougar Town moving to the TBS neighborhood as the network continues to expand its slate of original comedy series.”

The move caps a challenging year for the Cul-de-Sac Crew that included a delayed third season, a trimmed episode order, a less-than-ideal Tuesday time slot and an unprecedented grass roots PR campaign organized and funded by co-creator Bill Lawrence.

It’s unclear what changes, if any, will be made to the show in advance of its relocation. Hopefully none.

Thoughts? Relieved? Drunk with happiness? Grateful to TBS?

1. George says:

Tonight we play Penny Can!

2. Eric says:

I am filling up Big Carl as we speak!! So excited. Who needs ABC?

• Brock says:

ABC are typically my fave of the networks, but they’ve screwed up BIG TIME. This series is awesome and well done to TBS for recognising it

• dianaprince says:

YIppeee!!! Hooray!!
      TBS proves that they have the brains to keep this show going.. AWESOME!!

3. Sasha says:

Great news! I’m glad TBS is giving Cougar Town two more seasons!

4. matthew c says:

as long as it’s still on the air I’m happy!

5. apple says:

THANK YOU TBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Screw you, ABC.

• KevyB says:

Word up! ABC is probably the best network at destroying good comedies. Better Off Ted was treated even worse than Cougar Town and do NOT get me started on Pushing Daisies. Meanwhile, they’ll hang onto crappy stuff with middling ratings, like Lost, Desperate Housewives, that Tim Allen crap, Private Practice. You’d think they’d put a little more effort into Cougar Town, since it’s an ABC Studios show, meaning they make more syndication money the more eps they sell into syndication. Not when they can focus all their attention on Modern Family!

6. Margie Rife says:

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY. Still shaking with joy!!!!!

7. Brittany says:

Does this apply to viewers in Canada? Would it still be on CityTV or would that change too?

• jleask says:

It shouldn’t affect it – CityTV’s deal will be with ABC Studios, not the network itself, and so as long as it’s being made, we should still get Cougar Town on CityTV.

• TV Gord says:

Not necessarily. City may be carrying CT ONLY because they can take advantage of the simultaneous substitution rules (where Canadian channels can insert their signals over the American channel/network). With the show no longer on a channel that we get, City may not see the value in continuing with the show.

• davey says:

Thanks for asking because I’m wondering the same thing – I thought for sure that I had TBS on one of my channels but for some reason now I cannot locate it – I hope CityTV stays with it!

• guest says:

We use to get TBS, now we get Peachtree TV.

• TV Gord says:

That’s almost true, but it’s not. WTBS used to have two versions, one national superstation and one local Atlanta channel. Because of the ineptness of the CRTC (Canada’s FCC, for American readers), when they approved TBS for airing in Canada, they approved the wrong channel, the local Atlanta one, and not the national one. Because their schedules back then were similar, nobody noticed. So when the local version of WTBS became Peachtree, we realized that Canada was hooked to the wrong channel. Now we’re stuck with Peachtree and we no longer get the now-distinct TBS. I know it’s complicated, but it’s a ridiculous situation.

8. Yay! Now that we officially have at least 2 more seasons, can we stretch out the Laurie/Travis relaysh? Because I want it to happen, but I’m still SLIGHTLY skeeved by it.

Also, I expected to super hate her, but can we keep Baby Mama around on some sort of more-than-recurring-but-not-quite-regular basis? She’s about 90 kinds of fabulous.

9. I’m relieved that Cougar Town is not officially canceled. I hope it finds it’s second groove on TBS and lasts a long time. That station definitely needs some sitcoms that don’t include the name “Tyler Perry” in the title.

10. Abby says:

Raising a glass of pinot to TBS today!

11. George says:

Just out of curiosity, what does this mean for Dan Byrd & Josh Hopkins if there pilots get picked up. Do they have the option to jump ship since the show is moving networks. I hope not :(

• AJ says:

Their pilots were in 2nd position to Cougar Town, so they’ll be on Cougar Town, similar to Damon Wayons Jr. on New Girl. Happy Endings was picked up, so he stayed on Happy Endings.

• Jacob says:

Doubtful, since the show’s still being produced by the same company (ABC Studios). Also, why would they leave? It’s a guaranteed job for at least a season, whereas a new show could get canned after three episodes, or not go to series at all.

• Jase says:

Doubtful. Their contracts would be with ABC Studios, not the network itself.

• TV Gord says:

It depends. Are they getting the same money they would have gotten on ABC? If they have to take a pay cut, they can likely get out of Cougar Town if they have a better deal elsewhere. They may have the leeway to renegotiate.

12. Tiago Ramos says:

One or two seasons?

13. Raksha says:

My ears are cying with delight. Off to tell Abed about the awesome new development!

14. Jim says:

Sorry but this show is just not funny :P Frankly it’s lame. I love Courteney Cox and she could do so much better on another show.

15. dre23222 says:

I LOVE COUGAR TOWN… AS LONG AS IT STILL ON, THATS ALL THATS MATTER…WORK IT OUT COUGAR TOWN… LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SHOW AND ALL THE CHARACTERS……………..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. nyla says:

YAY! Cheers to TBS :) It’s ABC’s loss…

17. All I care about it CT gets another season! WHOO! So excited! :)

18. mandy says:

PENNNY CANN!!!! So excited! Thank you TBS!

19. bad kevin says:

Guess ABC has more new comedies to deal with.

20. Kelly says:

Ausiello, you and TBS just made my day! PENNY CAN!!!

21. lb says:

I hope that a Canadian broadcaster carries it as we don’t get TBS up here anymore. Or even canadian itunes!

• Dave says:

where are you in Canada that you don’t get TBS? it’s part of almost every standard cable package!

• tripoli says:

Not here it isn’t. What was once our TBS is now Peachtree TV. There’s a great comment above explaining it.

22. Michael says:

You just made my Thursday right here! Uncork the wine! #SixSeasonsAndAMovie!

23. Jenny says:

Yay!! Thank you, TBS! Thank you, creators of Cougar Town for not giving up!

24. Kalee says:

Holy crap, that was fast!

25. Let’s pound some grape in celebration!!

26. Abed says:

Abed likes this post.

27. Liz says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I love you TBS and I love you Cougar Town! Year made!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. T says:

TBS is perfect for Cougar Town. They’ll treat it right! I’m so glad this went through and I’m only a casual fan.

29. ggny says:

ill wait to celebrate till we find out which cast members are returning full time

30. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! PENNY CAN!!!!!!

31. mia says:

BEST NEWS EVER!!!! Just hours after reading about the cancelling of Alcatraz, I needed some good news.
    My Cul-de-Sac CREW!!!!!!!!!

32. lepigiste@mac.com says:

More Cougar and less marriage-baby stuff !!!

33. Linda says:

2013? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

34. joe says:

Tbs will treat cougar town so much better than Abc , a big thanks to you Tbs

35. Megan says:

Penny can 4eva!

36. Rolfe says:

So excited! Also excited that they will air the first three seasons! I think Cougar Town will fit into the TBS brand wonderfully. Very Funny.

37. Jenn says:

I got chills and a tear in my eye! Thank you TBS! First Conan and now Cougar Town! You are quickly becoming my all time favorite network!! YAY!!!!

38. G says:

Very happy and excited to see Cougar Town moving to TBS!

39. AW says:

Great news!!! But, I’m wondering if they’ll change the name now and will not use those opening captions?

• W says:

i hope they change the name of the show. those self-deprecating title card just look desperate and not funny now. they had so many chance to change that awful name, now that it’s moving to a new home, perhaps a new name too. Cougar Town was the worst name ever when the show was about cougars, and it still is now that they abandoned those early premise.

40. Talia says:

Well ABC loss is TBS gain. I hope this doesn’t change CityTV airing the show in Canada. Has it ever been discussed why the idiot suits at ABC hate Cougar Town. I mean messing around with the schedule, reducing the episode order, never advertising… WTF?

41. Lorie says:

Suck it, ABC! Gracias, TBS!!!

42. MelindaB says:

I’m glad that they get to air reruns of the first three seasons, too, because I didn’t watch the first season due to the stated premise and the title. Then I caught an episode and realized how funny the show is, and how it’s not what it first purported to be.

TBS, please don’t mess with the show. If you bought it as-is, then leave it as-is.

43. Walt says:

Great news! Added bonus, one less reason to watch ABC!

44. Mary Kate says:

THANK YOU TBS!!!

45. themurph2000 says:

OK, this officially gets TBS off my $#*! list for cancelling My Boys.

46. Sarah says:

Reminds me of when TNT took in Southland. NBC was failing it and look at it now, going to have it’s 5th season in 2013. And sister channel TBS doing the same for Cougar Town means it will enjoy the same great fate, I believe. And I’m with the show wherever it goes.

47. TBS is my new favorite network!

48. Carm says:

So glad I will get to keep watching Cougar Town!!!!! Thanks TBS!

49. Nate says:

I’ll grant Wright “smart” and “whimsical” for the show, but “likable” and “relatable” characters? I thought that the appeal of these characters was that they behave in such extreme ways and tend to solve their problems over many glasses of wine. That’s not exactly “likable” or “relatable” to me, but I may be missing something others see here.