Vampire Diaries: Michael Trevino Previews the New Threat to Tyler/Caroline and 'Wow' Finale

Vampire Diaries Michael Trevino Candice AccolaDing dong, the evil hybrid is gone! The Vampire Diaries‘ Elena, Stefan, Damon and the rest of the gang finally got Klaus out of their hair with some help from Tyler, who effectively broke his sire bond. But that doesn’t mean the troubles are over for the young hybrid and his girlfriend, Caroline.

After being outed by Alaric as supernatural beings to the entire Council, they’ll be in more danger than ever in this Thursday’s season finale (The CW, 8/7c).

RELATED | The CW Renews Supernatural, Vampire Diaries and 90210

“At this point, it doesn’t even matter about the rest of the Council,” previews Tyler’s portrayer, Michael Trevino. Alaric and his one-man army is “trying to rid Mystic Falls of everybody that has any kind of supernatural element in them,” which leaves Tyler and Caroline with a tough choice.

“Now that Klaus is gone, it’s about a different kind of survival,” he notes. “It’ll be a life-changing decision: Do they leave town and wait until things cool off and settle somewhere else? Do they never come back? Or do they stay and fight things off with their friends?”

“They” of course refers to Tyler and his love, Caroline, to whom he’s struggled to return. Now that they’re together again, Tyler is forced to think about more than just his own well-being.

PHOTOS | The Vampire Diaries Finale First Look: What’s Alaric Hiding?

“It’s about keeping them safe — not only himself, but Caroline,” explains Trevino. “Usually, when Tyler’s put into these positions, he just leaves town and lets things cool off. But now it’s the both of them.” With Klaus out of the picture and Tyler having proven his devotion, “their relationship right now is stronger than it’s been in a very, very long time.”

But the memorable Original isn’t really gone, is he?! “Joseph Morgan is a great actor. I don’t see how we could get rid of him that easy,” replies Trevino. “Sooner or later, we would probably see Klaus again.” After all, this is a show about the undead, and there are also plenty of flashback opportunities. However, “I don’t think [he'll return] any time soon,” he adds.

PHOTO | Exclusive First Look: Aunt Jenna Makes Her Return to Vampire Diaries

But there is one ancient, handsome vampire who will be coming back: Elijah! While he can’t reveal why he’s back or what his purpose is, Trevino says his return could be a really good thing… or a really bad thing… for the gang. “[Elijah is] 50/50 – I feel like you can never tell. Is he back to help out? Or is he back to stir things up a bit?”

As for his personal reaction to the finale, Trevino says it can be summed up in one word: “Wow.” He also offered up three big teases: The last minute of the episode “opens another whole can of worms,” somebody “ends up leaving Mystic Falls forever,” and there’s a “really, really big [tearjerker scene] that’s going to get everybody.”

Vampire Diaries fans, hit the comments with your theories!

Comments (49)

• How come Tyler was gone half the season? I still have yto watch last weeks, bout to its on tape, sounds like I missed some good stuff. This season started out great and lately has been meh. Hope it picks back up.

Comment by lorna – May 9, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tyler left to break his sire bond by forcing himself to turn into a werewolf 100 times or so. Can’t wait for the season finale tonight!

Can’t wait for THE SECRET CIRCLE season finale tonight right after TVD too! Please, stick around and watch TSC season finale as well, even if it’ll be your first time! You won’t regret it.

Comment by Anon – May 10, 2012 03:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yes! Secret circle is also goin to be as awesome as TVD on the Finale Thursday! CW should totally renew TSC .. it compliments TVD the best!

Comment by R – May 10, 2012 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They put Tyler with Caroline again? Boring.

Comment by XFACTOR – May 9, 2012 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah…boring :(
      I want to see Caroline next season, but to be true, the best thing for all this supes on TVD would be to leave Mystic Falls. To their safety and the city (not the show, unfortunately).

Comment by MicaRM – May 10, 2012 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Major yawn. Tyler is SO boring, and the actor stinks.

Comment by Chris – May 10, 2012 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree…Klaroline is better – best…=D

Comment by Denise – May 11, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Klaus returns sooner than later…

Comment by Meerna – May 10, 2012 12:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree! Klaus was the best thing on there. They should’ve let the romance between Caroline and Klaus happen.

Comment by ILoveMusic – May 10, 2012 01:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Klaus, Rebekah, Kol and Elijah were the best parts of this season. I was actually really upset that they eliminated Klaus last week. I was hoping he’d be back this week (maybe Elijah stops them before they dump him in the ocean?) but it sounds like he won’t be. Hopefully Michael Tevino is just throwing us off the trail.

Comment by Pash – May 10, 2012 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was also hoping Elijah would save Klaus. I miss Elijah, I’m happy to hear is back. And I agree Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah made such a great show.

Comment by AnnClau – May 10, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I wouldn’t mind a spin-off with the Originals. But something a little darker…

Comment by MicaRM – May 10, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok.. now I know.. Caroline is going to die or to leave MF forever.. =(

Comment by ginger – May 10, 2012 12:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • elena will leave mystic falls

Comment by shaheer – May 10, 2012 01:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Elena should leave mystic falls. Everyone will have live happily. Never having to save her again and again and again

Comment by Spock – May 10, 2012 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes…I really think Elena should leave Mystic Falls (or turn into a vampire). Actualy, all those supernatural beings don’t need to live there, they can go anywhere, why are they stuck in MF being hunted over and over again?

Comment by MicaRM – May 10, 2012 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • tyler and caroline yawn!!!!!! tyler can leave mf and i would even notice but caroline’s gotta stay shes one of my favorites

Comment by nikki – May 10, 2012 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can someone please tell me the last time Jeremy and Tyler had a scene together? Are they both on the show again?

Comment by S – May 10, 2012 02:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can understand why they haven’t….didn’t Tyler kill Jeremy in the second season?

Comment by Shaun – May 10, 2012 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No. Damon killed Jeremy.

Comment by T--V--D – May 10, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, who cares about your relationship, that can’t compare to Klaroline! Tyler can go, but Caroline needs to stay and wait for Klaus to return :)

Comment by Jelenica – May 10, 2012 03:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO glad Klaus is finally gone! As for who “leaves Mystic Falls forever”? That has to mean Stefan or Damon, whichever one Elena doesn’t choose. But of course we know that sometime, likely sooner rather than later, we will actually see them again.

Comment by MaryAnn – May 10, 2012 04:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forwood is the best thing to ever happen to this show so they better not screw them up.
    Too bad Klaus is not gone for good :( He was the most boring villain to ever exist and this whole Caroline thing turned him into an even more pathetic mess.

Comment by Yasmine – May 10, 2012 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I mostly just tolerated Klaus. He wasn’t a very interesting villain, he was just a character playing the bad guy, and then suddenly became all soft cause of a girl. Talk about a lame way to create layers.

Comment by Dominique – May 10, 2012 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tyler reeks. Klaus was far more interesting than Tyler has ever been. Ew!

Comment by Chris – May 10, 2012 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “Reeks”? Really? Grow up. Obviously, you’ve never watched a show with a real villain before if you think Klaus is interesting.

Comment by Yasmine – May 10, 2012 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I find Klaus very interesting. I also don’t see him as a villain. He’s like what Damon could have been if Damon weren’t so busy picking out ruffled shirts and fluffing his hair.

Comment by Danni – May 10, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I honestly don’t find him very interesting. He’s not a real villain that would make me interested and put me on the edge of my seat yet he’s not someone I would find believable to become allies with the other guys.
            Like Katherine for example. She was a total HBIC. She was the villain yet they gave her humanity and it worked because the show clearly stated that she’s a selfish bitch. For me Katherine was waaaay more interesting and compex than Klaus ever was. One of the reasons I’m glad Klaus is gone. It means Katherine will be back soon :D

Comment by Yasmine – May 10, 2012 09:08 AM PDT
  • I think it’s going to be Alaric who leaves, hasn’t Matt Davis signed on to a new show?

Comment by Amanda – May 10, 2012 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also I thought his purpose was to hunt Originals,not every vamp in sight.

Comment by Shaun – May 10, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hm, I guess it will probably be better for Elena to choose someone rather than continue this back and forth between the two. Storywise, it makes more sense for her to pick Damon, since they’ve been building up their relationship this year. But I feel like Elena never really let Stefan go, either, so I’ve no idea. I hope they either “fix” Alaric, or kill him off, though. :\ I don’t like his sadistic, crazy vampire-slayer side.

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – May 10, 2012 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So they get rid of interesting Klaus, played by a good actor, and keep boring Tyler, played by a stinky actor? Yeah, that makes sense.

Comment by Chris – May 10, 2012 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL You did not actually use the word “stinky”. How old are you? 5?

Comment by Yasmine – May 10, 2012 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is katherine guys… !!!!

Comment by arslan – May 10, 2012 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’ll probably show up in the finale now that Klaus is gone.

Comment by Shaun – May 10, 2012 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So more and more I am thinking that Elena will die in order to have Alaric be killed off for good and then she will turn into a Vampire.

Comment by sarah – May 10, 2012 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Klaroline or Steroline :(

Comment by nicole – May 10, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Steroline, but I prefer her with Klaus or Damon. I actualy like Tyler (even though I liked him better siren to Klaus), but him and Caroline aren’t interesting as a couple anymore. It was at the beginning, but since he became a hybrid they relationship became boring and too set on stone (specially because now they’re both ‘immortal’ and will be together forever). And in my opinion, Tyler is bringing back the worst part in Caroline…she is a better character when she’s not dealing with him.
      I don’t want Tyler to die and I don’t matter if he stays in the show, I just don’t want to see him and Caroline together because it doesn’t work for me.

Comment by MicaRM – May 10, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Tyroline is the most boring on/off relationship ever. Both the vampire Barbie and the aspiring werefool should be killed . They ad nada to the show , zero zilch.

Comment by lechatnoir – May 10, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone knows klaus not gone , he’s just gone for the moment he’ll be back next season … & but right elijah still around somewhere ? , thats one mellow original that i love elijah !!!

Comment by Parker – May 10, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • End this triangle and Forwood and get Stefan/Caroline together. :P

Comment by blahhhh – May 10, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one hoping that they will stop with the love triangle crap next season and focus on the story like back in S1… I mean Caroline and Elena have/are nothing without the men running around them. I’d love to see them growing without the triangle stuff around them for once. Everyone complains about the triangles, and let’s face it this season, the episodes that received the best reviews were the ones with more action and less lovey-dovey stuff… So I think we can all agree that TVD is no longer about the love triangle which seems to annoy the fans more than anything else right now.

As for Klaus, if he comes back to start with the “drawing ponies” thing, he’s better dead. People fell in love with Klaus because he was a great villain and now they want him to turn into another Damon?! COME ON! Joseph Morgan is an amazing actor, I adore him, but cutie-I-fancy-you-Klaus needs to go, bring back evil Klaus from S2… I mean Alaric is a better villain than Klaus, and that is insulting. Klaus was supposed to be this all mighty villain and look at what he’s been reduce to?! Makes me want to cry.

Comment by Manie – May 10, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please Tyler…let it be you who leaves MF for ever…dead or alive I want you gone!!! team Klaroline!!! Seriously??? How can anyone pick MT over JoMo???

Comment by An6ra – May 10, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not picking Tyler, but if picking him makes Klaus a real villain again, I’m 100% Team Tyler then! :) Klaus is being turned into another Damon, one is enough.

Comment by Manie – May 10, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t kill off Elijah pretty pleeeaaaassee =(

Comment by mac – May 10, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The writers on this show love to pair up every guy with every girl. It is so annoying.

Comment by T--V--D – May 10, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pleaaaaaase watch The Secret Circle afterwards. So worth it!!!

Comment by Burr – May 10, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You read one thing here and the complete opposite on another site!Someone is obviously messing with us! I hope that’s you Michael Trevino cause Klaus can’t be gone! TVD would be soooooooo boring without him!

Comment by Rose – May 10, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KLAUS IS THE BEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO THIS SHOW. I MEAN WITHOUT KLAUS THIS SHOW WOULD’VE BEEN SO BORING AND ALL ABOUT ELENA, IT WOULD’VE MADE THE OTHER CHARACTERS SO BORING.

IF KLAUS IS GONE, SO IS THIS SHOW.
    I MEAN YOU CAN’T JUST BRING A SEXY CHARACTER (Joseph Morgan/klaus) INTO THIS SHOW, MAKE US FALL IN LOVE WITH HIM THEN TAKE HIME AWAY, C’ON SERIOUSLY?

Stefan + Elena
    Damon + Rebeka
    KLAUS + CAROLINE
    Bonnie + Jeremy
    Tyler + some new bitch that’s going to come on this show.

The end :D
    I love you joseph Morgan.

Comment by KLAUS IS FOREVER MINE – May 26, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post