Fall TV Scoop: Fox Orders 5 Shows Including Mindy Kaling Comedy, Kevin Bacon Thriller
Fox has given the green light to five new series for next fall, including comedies fronted by Mindy Kaling and Becki Newton and a serial killer drama from Vampire Diaries‘ EP Kevin Williamson starring Kevin Bacon.
Also receiving pickups are the sitcom Ben & Kate (formerly Ben Fox Is My Manny) and a mob-tinged medical drama starring Jordana Spiro.
Details on the new shows are below…
• The Kaling project, titled It’s Messy, finds the Office vet playing a Bridget Jones-type OB/GYN trying to navigate both her personal and professional lives.
* The Williamson thriller, titled The Following, revolves around a deranged serial killer (James Purefoy) who creates his own cult of murderers via the wonders of technology, and the retired FBI profiler (Kevin Bacon) who is hunting him down. Justified‘s Natalie Zea costars.
• Ben & Kate is a single-camera comedy about an uptight single mother (played by Dakota Johnson) whose aimless brother (Nat Faxon) moves in to help raise her daughter (Maggie Jones).
• The Goodwin Games (from HIMYM‘s Carter Bays, Craig Thomas and Chris Harris) is a high-concept comedy about three siblings (played by Newton, Scott Foley and Jake Lacy) who must reconnect in order to inherit their recently-deceased father’s fortune.
* The Spiro drama, titled The Mob Doctor, finds the My Boys alum playing a doctor working for the mafia in Chicago.
Fox will unveil its new fall schedule to advertisers next Monday in New York.Follow @MichaelAusiello