Fall TV Scoop: Fox Orders 5 Shows Including Mindy Kaling Comedy, Kevin Bacon Thriller

Fox has given the green light to five new series for next fall, including comedies fronted by Mindy Kaling and Becki Newton and a serial killer drama from Vampire Diaries‘ EP Kevin Williamson starring Kevin Bacon.

Also receiving pickups are the sitcom Ben & Kate (formerly Ben Fox Is My Manny) and a mob-tinged medical drama starring Jordana Spiro.

Details on the new shows are below…

• The Kaling project, titled It’s Messy, finds the Office vet playing a Bridget Jones-type OB/GYN trying to navigate both her personal and professional lives.

RELATED | Fox Renews Touch For Season 2

* The Williamson thriller, titled The Following, revolves around a deranged serial killer (James Purefoy) who creates his own cult of murderers via the wonders of technology, and the retired FBI profiler (Kevin Bacon) who is hunting him down. Justified‘s Natalie Zea costars.

• Ben & Kate is a single-camera comedy about an uptight single mother (played by Dakota Johnson) whose aimless brother (Nat Faxon) moves in to help raise her daughter (Maggie Jones).

• The Goodwin Games (from HIMYM‘s Carter Bays, Craig Thomas and Chris Harris) is a high-concept comedy about three siblings (played by Newton, Scott Foley and Jake Lacy) who must reconnect in order to inherit their recently-deceased father’s fortune.

RELATED | Fox Cancels Alcatraz and The Finder

* The Spiro drama, titled The Mob Doctor, finds the My Boys alum playing a doctor working for the mafia in Chicago.

Fox will unveil its new fall schedule to advertisers next Monday in New York.

1. Mack says:

I wonder if Fox will pick up Zachary Levi’s show?

2. kavyn says:

The Goodwin Games sounds pretty awesome. I’m willing to give it a shot. I hope Zachery Levi’s show gets picked up too.

3. Jill says:

The Goodwin Games is a win just for the casting!

4. JimJam says:

What does “High-concept” mean?

5. Ali says:

Please pick up Let it Go

6. Jake says:

Definitely going to be watching The Goodwin Games and Mindy Kaling’s show.

7. Malcolm says:

It looks like the Mindy Kaling one is paired up with New Girl, while Ben Fox is paired up with Raising Hope, resurrecting the 2-hour comedy block. The Goodwin one could get the post-X Factor slot.

8. Superhero says:

Raising Hope
    Goodwin Games
    New Girl
    Mindy

That’s potentially a damn good two-hour block of comedy right there.

Yes, I’m leaving out that stupid Manny crap because it’s guaranteed to be awful.

9. haley says:

considering becki newton has a new show..does this mean she wont be in himym next season n thus this means she is not the bride n barney picked someone else….probably ..robin?? :DD

• Roger says:

God I hope it’s Robin! Fingers crossed

• Jeff says:

well we don’t actually know that Barney gets married…just because he has a wedding, doesn’t mean they actually go through with it

• hw216 says:

I read an interview ages ago where Carter Bays said that although it may not go smoothly, Barney will be getting married. I really hope it’s Robin!

• AHHHHHHH says:

Yes! Smell ya later, Quinn!
      (Note: Becky Newton seems lovely and I’m sure she smells fine. I actually will watch Goodwin Games and enjoyed her on Ugly Betty. But she is my enemy until she is off HIMYM and broken up with Barney)

Apparently Fox inks pretty iron clad deals, so there’s little to no chance she’ll be able to do consistent (if any) network crossovers, even if the creators are the same. Business is business and the network is king…and for once I LOVE IT.

• Alex says:

That was my initial thought, but who’s to say that since Carter Bays and Craig Thomas are the creators on both shows that they haven’t worked out a way to balance her involvement on both shows. On the other hand, it could be a clear indication that they know they don’t need her on HIMYM anymore. I’m not making any assumptions until I see the bride next week

• Rowrohoh says:

Because CBS and Fox are notoriously contentious — they rival for the #1 spot in key demographics, despite being under the same parent company. Therefore, the show runners won’t make much of a difference at all. The network will not want to share her, especially with CBS. (for some context, it was essentially a MIRACLE that NPH was able to get on Glee — and that was CBS to Fox which is the easier route)

It was be extremely unrealistic for Becki to appear in more than 1 or 2 episodes next year, which bodes really well for her NOT being the bride.

And Barney definitely gets married; the creators have confirmed that.

• Joel says:

With both shows being done by the same people, I’m sure Carter Bays and Craig Thomas will allow Becki Newton room in her contract/schedule to film necessary guest spots on HIMYM if Carter Bays and Craig Thomas request it. And as for whether the network will allow it, CB & CT know the HIMYM end game so if Becki Newton is a part of that, I’m sure they will have discussed those factors already. I pray Barney isn’t marrying Robin.

• Travis says:

In the talk with the kids, Ted always tells his kids about “Aunt Robin”. I’m guessing it won’t be Robin.

10. Sean M says:

Really hope Josh Friedman’s “The Asset” gets picked up, that’s the Fox pilot I was looking forward to the most.

11. Moe says:

Wow. None of those sound good to me :-/

12. Linda says:

I was really hoping they would pick up Julian Mcmahon’s pilot. Hopefully maybe as a midseason replacement maybe?

13. Karen says:

I’m really interested in The Following & The Goodwin Games.It would be great to see Jake Lacy & Scott Foley on tv again.Jake was awesome as Casey on Better With You & Scott as Bob Brown in The Unit.

14. K says:

What about Karyn Usher teen spy drama and Guilty? I hope they both get picked up!

• Linda says:

I read on Deadline Hollywood and Variety that Guilty is a strong contender and that the Karyn Usher project is a wild card, whatever that means. On Twitter , Louise Lombard, said they are calling that KU project Rogue. That is the one that Julian is in and I really, really, want it, but at this point I am not sure it will happen/

15. Martin says:

One of their spy shows will be picked up, no??

Unless. they are done for their pickups for the season.

Also, funny side note, Jordana Spiro was supposed to be on Love Bites with Becki Newton but she couldn’t so her role was recast in the pilot. Now, theya re back on the same network.

So, as long as Becki Newton doesn’t get pregnant and throws the production off, the Goodwin Games will be a hit, hopefully. Great casting and creators.

16. Renee says:

I wish the Kevin Bacon one was on another network. I would watch it on say CBS or NBC. Since I’m currently hoping Fox goes bankrupt I won’t be watching anything on that channel.

17. Jay says:

“Mob Doctor”? That’s almost as bad as “Widow Detective”

18. Marie says:

Well, I guess we can rule out that quinn is not barney’s bride on himym on the season finale on monday. That leaves only one choice which means it has to be robin.

• hw216 says:

Given that she’s on the same network and with the same showrunners I think they could make it work although with much less screen time, especially since there HAS to be a twist in there somewhere… it wouldn’t be HIMYM if there wasn’t! Definitely want Robin though, I can’t wait!

• AHHHHHHH says:

Different network. And CBS and Fox are notoriously contentious. The show runners won’t make much of a difference at all. The network will not want to share her, especially with CBS. (for some context, it was essentially a MIRACLE that NPH was able to get on Glee — and that was CBS to Fox which is the easier route)

19. Amy says:

I’m very interested in The Following. Looking forward to it and also seeing Kevin Bacon back on tv.

20. Christina says:

The Following, The Goodwin Games, and It’s Messy have me interested

21. Leah says:

Becki Newton can’t be Barney’s bride now, right? (Yes!) Go Robin!!!

22. Dr Poop says:

I don’t think ANYONE wants to see Mindy in her own series, especially if it means no Kelly on the office…:-(

So this means Quin isn’t the Barney’s Bride after all???

23. Darcy says:

The Goodwin Games and It’s Messy will be must sees for me just because of the casts. So excited!!

24. mia says:

While some of these look promising (namely the Mindy comedy and the Kevin Bacon show), I will NOT be watching any of them.
    Its Fox, I’ll get hooked and then they’ll cancel them.

25. jon says:

The one with the most generic title will be the one cancelled first – Ben & Kate.

26. Sg.Grant says:

The Following pickup just made Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon ridiculously easy.

27. Lindsey says:

From that description, Ben & Kate sounds like so many other shows out there. No appeal at all. Sad to hear Zachary Levi’s pilot Let It Go isn’t getting picked up. (Even though it didn’t sound all that great, other than him being in it.) I miss him on my TV.

28. S says:

OMG I am so excited for Becki Newton’s new show!!!! She better not get pregnant before it airs like with what happened to Love Bites!…That’s so selfish of me but whatevs.

29. Mark says:

God Ben & Kate sounds awful. The actor that plays Ben is painfully unfunny in almost everything I’ve seen him in. Excited about the Mindy Kaling show though! She’s my all time fav on the Office.

30. diggie says:

I bet Nora will be Barney’s wife.

31. Stacey says:

I was so looking forward to Kevin Bacon being on my tv, but they went and ruined the whole thing by casting Natalie Zea. She’s in, I’m out!

32. sarah says:

I will be watching Fox in fall time for the first time since Prison Break as The Following looks great.

33. Chadwick says:

I think this is the first time I won’t plan on watching ANY Fox TV shows.

The only thing they have of value is FRINGE. And yet they are killing that off after a deliberately shortened 13 episode season.

See’ya FOX – wouldn’t want to be’ya. Stick with your quality and dump the cr@p, like “Animation Constipation”. The 18-30 demographic is not the target demo you should be courting.

2012-13 Season prediction. Looks like CW has a new friend in the root cellar with FOX. Yuck. That means NBC moves up one notch.