Fall TV Scoop: NBC Renews Law & Order: SVU, Picks Up New Drama Chicago Fire

Law & Order SVU Renewed  It’s a good day if your name is Dick Wolf.

NBC has renewed Law & Order: SVU for a 14th season while giving a green light to the new Wolf-produced drama Chicago Fire.

The SVU pickup was foreshadowed last month when leading lady Mariska Hargitay sealed a deal to return as Det. Benson.

Chicago Fire, meanwhile, centers on the complex and heroic men and women of the Chicago Fire Department and stars Taylor Kinney, Jesse Spencer, Teri Reeves, David Eigenberg, Charlie Barnett, Lauren German, Monica Raymund, Eamonn Walker and Merle Dandridge. (Scroll down for a first look at the smokin’ ensemble.)

RELATED | NBC Eyes Shortened Seasons of CommunityParks and Rec and 30 Rock

The Chicago order brings to eight the number of new shows NBC has already ordered for fall, joining previously greenlit comedies 1600 Penn, Animal PracticeSave MeGo On and The New Normal, as well as serial thriller Revolution from J.J. Abrams and Eric Kripke and Bryan Fuller’s Hannibal.

NBC will formally unveil its fall schedule to advertisers on Monday. In the meantime, TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard has been updated with the SVU news.

Comments (43)

• Great news. I love SVU!!!!

Comment by Daniela – May 9, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this show will be on for thousands of years. nbc and usa are in love with it. it needs to go! get some balls and create more new shows…………PLEASE!

Comment by pete – November 4, 2012 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now how about they make a good day for Jason Katims by renewing Parenthood and greenlighting County?

Comment by John Vanner (@JV401) – May 9, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • county sounds like their worst pilot… if you want a medical drama then hope for Do no harm…

They need to pick these up

Do No Harm
      Midnight Sun
      The Frontier
      Beautiful People

Comment by Mike – May 9, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now renew Harrys Law and Parenthood and ill be happy.

Comment by jasie – May 9, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And follow through with the news on their comedy night. Agree. I think NBC are making good decisions this year (Anne Heche aside, perhaps)

Comment by Ben – May 9, 2012 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now where is the room for Community?
    #sixFULLseasonsandamovie

Comment by Nicole MacGregor (@destinoscelgo) – May 9, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Great news.

Comment by Meghan – May 9, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This looks like one of the most diverse shows on tv.

Comment by Joseph – May 9, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jesse Spencer in fireman gear is even sexier than Jesse in a doctor’s coat. Man, I am there!!!!!

Comment by unguibus – May 9, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. So much this.

Yowza.

Comment by heather_kaye – May 9, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha totally agree – I was just going to say something similar!

Comment by Alex – May 9, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, Jesse Spencer is just radiating awesome hotness! He’s actually a wonderful actor too.. But, woah is he beautiful (it’s quite distracting, really).

Comment by Kate – May 9, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So true. I’m literally blushing from his sexiness right now.

Comment by Zoe – June 27, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about a Parenthood renewal them, hmmm NBC?

Comment by Alex – May 9, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!!! Can’t wait to see Jesse Spencer again on TV next Fall!!!!

Comment by Julie – May 9, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just as I was mourning the loss of Jesse Spencer’s Chase on House, I hear this great news! So happy he’ll be back this fall in what sounds like another hit. Can’t wait to hear more!

Comment by Steph – May 9, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago Fire looks really good. Probably the new show I am most excited for right now.

Comment by CJ – May 9, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh man. they really should just let SVU die already.

Comment by kate – May 9, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited to see Chicago Fire picked up. I have loved Taylor Kinney since he was on Trauma. :) A little nervous for Parenthood though. NBC has picked up a lot of shows.

Comment by mandy – May 9, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad that Jesse Spencer will be back on tv next fall :) I already know that I’m going to love Chicago Fire!

Comment by Kim – May 9, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awwww! Jesse Spencer will rock this show!

Comment by Lou – May 9, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great! I stopped watching House, But I still love Jesse, so he can be back on my TV each week.

Comment by Steven – May 9, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love SVU and this season was pretty great but with some huge changings like:
    1) to cut Giddish’s part. Her character is useless even though the duo Munch/Tutola was almost inexistent this season like the ADAs
    2) a better balance between the investigation and the trial like in first seasons -> if S. March & D. Neal were back, it would be FANTASTIC! :-)
    3) a new romance for Olivia and/or a kid and even both.

Maybe S14 will be the very last so…

And

Comment by Géraldine – May 9, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great suggestions – May I also add MORE BD WONG!

Comment by Melissa – May 9, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m looking forward to Chicago Fire.

Comment by Renee – May 9, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they don’t renew parenthood there will be nothing on NBC that I watch.

Comment by Michael – May 9, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WE NE A FULL SEASON OF COMMUNITY WHICH IM POSITIVE THEYLL DO AT LEAST 16 EPISODEDS TO MAKE 88 FOR SYNDICATION UT I HOP THEY DO A FULL 22 … COMMUNITY JUST NEED A D BETTER TIME SLOT NOT AGAINST BIG BANG THEORY .. NBC SHOULD HAVE A DRAMA IN THAT SPOT TO PULL IN A DIFFERENT AUDIENCE IF THEY WERE SMART

Comment by Mike – May 9, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING? IT HURTS MY EARS!

Comment by liddad – May 9, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great for both shows but I am HIGHLY disappointed and disgusted that NBC is pushing new shows for the fall but won’t support newer ones viewers already love because of low ratings. I don’t need to see repeats of L&O SVU every Saturday when NBC could be showing repeats of shows like Awake.

Comment by Jennifer – May 9, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We need Parenthood. I need my regular fix of Lauren Graham.

Comment by May – May 9, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t this Third Watch but no cops???!

Comment by beidn – May 9, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to watch all the different Law and Orders and stopped a few years ago. I think I just got over dosed on them. But I am glad SUV got picked up, as that was my favorite, and I think I am going to start watching again in the fall. Dick Wolf and team produce a quality product that is well written.

Comment by Casey – May 9, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t watch SVU w/ the blond, she has to go… the rest of the cast is fine.

Comment by matt – May 9, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC better bring back Harry’s Laws!

Comment by matt – May 9, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I missed the news about Mariska signing for another year. I thought last year around this time the big news was that this year would be her last, and that’s why they brought in whats-her-face. I know it’s been a year, but I really miss Stabler. The show isn’t the same without him.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 9, 2012 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thankfully they picked up Chicago Fire. :)

Comment by bklyngirl – May 10, 2012 12:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i havent watched the last season but i didnt know danny from cold case was in the show now, thats awesome because he is a good actor

Comment by manfred – May 10, 2012 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy that they picked up Chicago Fire! Glad that Jesse Spencer will stay on TV :)

Comment by Lena – May 10, 2012 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When they got rid of Casey and the India cop they should of ended the show

Comment by Michael – May 10, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yesss!! (fistpump) Maybe we’ll even get a surprise appearance from Elliot sometime this season! (Hey, a girl can dream. I’ll just sit here in my eternal Stabler-denial corner. Pay me no mind.)

And Chicago Fire looks good. But anything that Dick Wolf is involved in tends to be really good, so… yeah, I’ll probably be watching that.

Comment by Zoe – June 27, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post