Fox Cancels Alcatraz and The Finder

Fox giveth and now Fox taketh away.

The network, which just got done picking up five new shows and renewing a sixth (Kiefer Sutherland’s Touch), has axed freshman dramas Alcatraz and The Finder.

The J.J. Abrams thriller and the Bones spinoff both launched at midseason with much fanfare and decent ratings. But those initial numbers didn’t hold. The Finder was eventually banished to Friday nights, which is where it will complete its run this week.

RELATED | Fall TV Scoop: Fox Orders 5 Shows Including Mindy Kaling Comedy, Kevin Bacon Thriller

Fox has also cancelled Breaking In and I Hate My Teenage Daughter.

TVLine’s 2012 Renewal Scorecard has been updated with the news.

1. sladewilson says:

Awwwwww man – I loved Alcatraz… That sucks…

• tp says:

Ditto…

• daviduter says:

Good thing we still have Glee. SMFH. This is why Glee and American Idol piss me off.

• ben says:

I like Alcatraz too, and don’t like Glee. But it really isn’t Glee’s fault that the Alcatraz didn’t find great ratings.

• Bobby Lou says:

I wish they would cancel Glee and American Idol. Brutal TV shows. And we do not need any more scripted reality shows either. I can’t believe networks still think we, as Americans, think reality shows aren’t scripted. Reality shows have become an absolute embarrassment to us.

• heather_kaye says:

I am so sad about this…I was so pleased with the direction Alcatraz had taken near the end of the season. Very, VERY disappointed, Fox.

• lydiakj says:

Yes, this exactly. It was getting SO good!

• brian says:

That is the problem with so many shows. They wait until the middle or near the end of the season to “get good”. Tough … I quit watching 2 months before, when Alcatraz was a typical story of the week show.

• valerie says:

I’m dissapointed that we’ll never find out what the secret of Alcatraz is. I really liked the show, but I can kind of see why it got cancelled. For the first few weeks it was pretty much the same thing over and over again, then near the end it turned into this interesting, weaving story. A lot of people probably stopped watching during the first few weeks, and I can understand why.

• mark says:

Those who run these networks are killing tv they don’t give shows enough time to build a fan base my way of dealing is to not watch fox

• AL says:

This is what CBS did with Jericho but all the fans made CBS bring it back with an ending by sending ton’s of peanuts to them to say they are nut’s.

• Mo says:

You can go to the Fox Facebook page and make a comment on the “Fox announces primetime series for 2012-2013″ posting and ask them to bring it back. I just did, but Alcatraz needs more support there.

• Helen Visser says:

I loved Alcatraz too. I wish they hadn’t cancelled it. Bring it back please!

• Melissa says:

Agree! I can’t believe this….. well I can and this totally sucks!

• WeeklyWeek says:

And there it goes one of the 2 shows i see from Fox… After the last Fringe season Fox is definitely on my “blacklist”. (It’s so normal for them to pull the plug on interesting shows so why bother start seeing something if you know it most likely be canceled??)

• Cheksi says:

So true! I quit watching new shows bc once they pull me in and leave me hanging with great season finales , Alcatraz was the best cliff hanger ever, they pull the plug and you’re left feeling so cheated as if someone has stolen a valuable item from you. The least they could do is write one script to close the book in the series so I won’t feel so empty like I wasted half my year on a show when I could have been watchin…….CBS

• Temperence says:

Alcatraz lost my interest about three episodes in. The lead lady was just badly miscast.

• leahbh says:

Everyone said the same thing about Anna Torv when fringe started and look how that turned out. I think JJ Abrams has some great people casting for him. And I liked Sarah Jones. (and her character, heck, i liked them all)

• Temperence says:

Funny, I though Anna Torv was great from the start.

• smidnite says:

I’m still saying it. Ugh!

• AB says:

Funny, I never heard anyone say that about Anna Torv.

• really? says:

Yeah, look at how those ratings or lack thereof for Fringe are. The show may still be on and have a small following but it is far from a blockbuster. The lead for Alcatraz was just horrible, she wasn’t believable or likeable.

• leahbh says:

that’s your opinion, lots of fans feel differently. my POINT was not about ratings it was about how everyone hated anna torv when fringe started and love her now.

• Rob Centros says:

Sarah Jones just seemed like a kid playing a cop. She had no “weight” or “presence.” She did not convince me at all. Anna Torv, on the other hand, stepped right into the character and seemed genuine. I’ll miss Fringe, after its thirteen shows next season, but I think it’s about ready to go. They’ve had some missteps along the way as well.

• Ken says:

As a die hard Fringe fan i will say this,Anna Torv apart from being stunningly beautiful,in my opinion is by far the best actress on TV today,and should have been winning emmy’s several times over.I must admit there as been missteps along the way. For me personally it was the first 4 episodes of season 4,with the phasing out of Peter, and the introduction of Lincoln Lee (Seth Gable)who seems out of place,and just did not fit.His awkward presence only upset the team balanced dynamics. I believe this cost us some fans.

• Mercy Alessandro says:

First of all. Finally a lead woman role that is believable .. I am a detective and are both similar in ways.. The show just needed to have a second season.. Def had a great cast and story .. Also an awesome cliffhanger I think if they brought it back ratings would sky rocket ! To hell with these stupid reality shows and American idol and glee it’s played out ! I needed something I can enjoy and this was the show along with a lot of others that got cancelled and I’m sure others agree as well.. But everyone is entitled to his/her opinion

• davej says:

Thanks for remindnig me. I love Anna now, but I forgot how I thought she looked and acted like “Olive Oil” from Popeye early on.

Would have like to see Alcatraz back and even The Finder, but to be honest, I can live without either show.

I just would like to know where Alcatraz was headed with the plot.

• PhillyWings says:

I agree — she was a weak link. but improved a bit as season progressed.

• Ken says:

Apart from Sam Neal, ALCATRAZ was badly cast. I had no interest in it because of the horrible casting,they could have done so much better. I’m surprised at JJ Abrams.

• ddrizz says:

Agree 100% Temperence. The best thing about Alcatraz was killing her off at the end. I’m sure she would have been “resurrected” in S2, but now I can always think that she died.

• Rob Centros says:

Exactly my impression. She just didn’t seem to fit. I last interest after the first night’s two episodes.

• Ken says:

Yes i agree,she was badly miscast, they could have done much better.I rather like Sam Neal but i just could not get into the show because of the miscasting.

• Michelle says:

Are u serious I love that show. I want it back. U know what lost my interest sorry keifer but touch and glee y doesn’t glee Just join American idol same thing they took away terra nova ,the event ,v, what else sg-u I mean come on these shows were great and every network should bring them back syfy abc fox now they bring back bones and warehouse13 eureka all these crap shows sorry they need to send Alcatraz to syfy that should pick it up it is kinda science fiction they disappear off the island and they return just like they left (aliens) hello it fits

• Polly says:

Fudge! I really liked both shows!

• Ana says:

The Finder was launched at the height of HH’s ugly fight with Bone’s fans over the unnecessary extension of Hannah arc. He ranted against the “nasty fans” and closed off to Twitter. He even told “Andrea” to do an expletive act because she dared ask a question. You were the moderator, Ausiello, of that Bones Panel at Paleyfest. Consequently, Bones fans vowed NOT to watch The Finder. Here is the end result — cancellation. If HH could have counted on Bones fans to crossover to The Finder, it would still be on the air. I hope that he has learned his lesson — a costly one.

• Evelyn says:

I love the Finder! You found actors who worked very well together. You had I am very near cancelling my tv all together. Every time I find a show the stupid network cancel them. I’m not sure I will continue with Bones, I know you will cancel it very soon too. Your network people are complete idiots.

• Siggers says:

fully agree. I loved a lot of shows that they have cancelled!!!! Argh…there is nothing like following a show and really liking it and then it is gone :(

• David says:

Bones is a great show. The Finder was amazing too. The fact that they are cancelling such a great show is crap. I watch Bones, House, and until recently, The Finder. That’s all. I don’t watch Touch because it seemed boring, I didn’t watch Fringe because it didn’t seem interesting at the time, but I can see myself getting into it and getting caught up, and I didn’t watch Alcatraz only because I missed the first few episodes. What’s left? Glee? American Idol? Well you can bet your ass I won’t be watching those. House is almost done, and Bones should be following it fairly soon seeing as how it’s almost as old. I have the internet so I can watch Fringe there. So what’s left for me to watch on Fox? Nothing. Crap network, and now that they are getting rid of two very good shows, it’s even worse. Trashing The Finder and Alcatraz was a huge mistake. I hope they realize it soon and fix it.

• Completely agree with you David. Bones will be the only thing left worth watching on FOX and who knows what will happen there? I loved The Finder episode on Bones and flat couldn’t wait until it finally premiered. It is fun and unique and always left you with a good feeling. If they don’t listen to the thousands of fans who are trying to get them to bring it back, I will quit watching Fox altogether. If they would just listen to the people who actually watch the show, and then stop doing stupid things like moving shows around after a 3 week hiatus so that no one can find it…there might be some hope.

• Diane says:

I agree with you. The Finder was awesome. I tried to complian to Fox, but I can’t find an email to use.

• ATS says:

I truly enjoyed The Finder. I probably won’t watch another Fox program again. I’m done.

• lala says:

I must be the only person on earth who liked Hannah!!

• LaHunter says:

I agree. I loved Alcatraz. Just reconfirms my feelings that network execs are clueless about good television. I wonder if they count viewers that DVR in the ratings. I DVR everything just so I can fast forward through the commercials.

• Temis says:

Since TV is all about getting people to watch ads (who do you think pays for the shows?) then why in the world would anyone care what you want to watch?

However, they do count DVR viewing because (oddly enough) about 40% of DVR viewing includes ads. So it’s counted, but obviously less than live viewing. And they only count viewing w/n 3 days of the original airing, since ads have expiration dates. They are often meant to be seen on the day they air – for weekend movies, for instance.

• tris says:

makes me sad :( crying on the inside. that was one of my fav. shows

• Same here, loved that show

• larry says:

You just cant cancel the episode just yet, you need to finish the final episode first.

• chuck's ticked says:

FOX sucks azz!!!! Alcatraz was great show! Finder was descent. Please some other network out there like TNT or SY-FY channel please pick this show up. Like TNT did with Southland! Only show FOX still has left i watch is Bones & Fringe but after this crap i may just boycott the channel.

• Francis says:

The whole movie thing is driven purely by greed.Its not a matter of making a profit anymore,but behaving like hogs at the trough.Everyone would need to just tune out to make these people understand why the shows are made in the first place.I was really looking forward to the coming season of Alcatraz and Terra Nova.

• jordan says:

Glee sux compared to the finder, i think its bs that theyre canceling it, especially the way they ended the last episode. screw fox they dont know whats good or not the only reason the still have glee is because all of the tweens and their families they force to watch that stupid show. i hope there are more people out there that feel the same way i do, because im so freaking pissed right now its not even funny.

• Makinbacon says:

Me2 Moment of silence for the show………………………sad

• elaine says:

I loved Alcatraz. Im From the UK. we watch on Watch. Disappointed its been cancelled :(

• Charles kingston says:

Yet again sabotaged by the studios who care little for viewers

• Thom says:

Ditto
      It had more promise than any other show on television. I couldn’t wait to see what the good doctor was going to do with the prisoners. It was suspense to the max!!!

• Ketts says:

Let’s face it; The bigwigs at Fox are a bunch of morons. I’ll never forgive them for cancelling Firefly

• marion says:

I completely agree! I loved Firefly! Joss Whedon is such a baby for not wanting to do more than Serenity b/c he didnt make a zillion dollars! Now Fox is taking Alcatraz and The Finder….are you serious??? Bones is the ONLY show I watch on Fox now, when they take it, they may as well cancel the whole net
        work! They are useless!

• stew says:

alcatraz was really great such a shame to cancell it .

• Kristen says:

Everytime a good show comes on its cancelled for some stupid reality crap or dumb comedy series. Soon I’ll stop watching the station all together. The Finder is the only one I understand being cancelled due to a death

• KatieO'L says:

I loved Alcatraz to!!!!!!!!!!!! Its ridiculous they left you hanging after the first season and I’ve been waiting all summer for the new season. It cracks me up that they have all these reality shows thats why I dont watch FOX CBS or ABC or NBC when you finally find a show you like they take it away this sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Diane says:

I can’t believe they are canceling Alcatraz. It had me on the edge of my seat. Someone needs to do something about this!

• Chris says:

….and they keep on crap like Two and a Half Men.

2. i was really liking the finder too … tis a shame i liked the crossover with bones too :(

• Temperence says:

Geoffery Stultz is a *star*, but the rest of the show tanked quickly. It was the writing that went south, not the acting, so there was no real hope there.

• AB says:

Michael Clark Duncan isn’t a star? The man’s been nominated for an Oscar.

• Rakath says:

The writing is good, the issue comes from the fact Fox shuffled the order aimlessly. The whole cast meshes well together and Fox just burned it for pretty much zero reason.

• Kevin says:

I’d expect an dummy with the name “temperence” to hate on the Finder. Sorry , but the writing on bones has went south for the last two seasons, and its been terrible. AT least Finder was enteraining.

• kelley says:

I liked The Finder, too. BOO Fox.

• zaza says:

I wish The Finder would find a new network, because I really like that show!

• Evelyn says:

Yes, because fox doesn’t deserve it a hit show!!

• S. Amon says:

Count me in on wishing The Finder would come back – some way, any way. I really enjoyed the show, the writing, the characters – if FOX had tried it in a better time slot I bet the fan base would grow like crazy. I really wish they’d stop jamming the airways with reality shows and bring back enjoyable television.

• Paula says:

A new network for The Finder would be great! It was such a fun quirky show and it’s such a shame that is was cancelled. Too expensive to produce? It was put in the death time slot. Not many shows have survived there. :( Firefly was then as well.

• Rob Centros says:

I liked The Finder — got better as it went in my opinion — but the pilot sucked, it was really weak and disjointed. Had that been stronger I think they would have had a lot better chance of making it. My wife gave up after the first show — and I almost did, but I really like Michael Clarke Duncan and stuck it out. Glad I did.

3. Cogero says:

This is why I don’t generally watch anything on fox until it is on at least 2 seasons.

• mandy says:

Same here. Too may fox shows get canceled after one. There was an episode of Family Guy that named a lot of them. It was pretty sad considering I liked most of the shows.

4. mooori says:

Man, that stinks. Granted, I wasn’t a fan of Alcatraz but I really did enjoy The Finder quite a bit. Sad to see it go.

As for Touch, even if the ratings were high or low, I imagine a show starring Kiefer Sutherland would see another season at least.

• Rob Centros says:

I haven’t watched Touch — the promotion seems too heavy handed, like they’re full of themselves. Probably not my kind of thing. I also liked The Finder. Alcatraz lost me right away.

• Deb says:

Ditto…the Touch ads made me dismiss it immediately. I loved the Finder and never started watching Alcatraz, (un)fortunately.

5. Bigdog5758 says:

I liked Alcatraz so I am sad to see it go. On the other hand The Finder was ok but I lost interest after awhile

6. Mike says:

Well they renewed Fringe, can’t complain about anything after that.

• Fox have been doing well of late. They gave Dollhouse a series beyond what most people expected, and now are giving Fringe a proper sendoff. Can’t argue with either of these cancellations. The Finder was haemorrhaging viewers (not helped by the worst back-door pilot of all time) and Alcatraz just wasn’t compelling enough to make much of an impression.

• Rakath says:

You mean the having better viewing numbers than Touch for every episode but the first two and the episodes after a month long mid-season hiatus and unadvertised shift to Fridays?

Fox systematically fails at running a network. It might as well not bother starting new series and just shift all those writers into crafting their news programs.

7. SAD I [LIKED] BOTHOF THOSE SHOWS :(

8. Kristen says:

I enjoyed Alcatraz. Bummer.

9. julia says:

CRAP! I loved Alcatraz!! I am really bummed!

10. bad kevin says:

Sad to see Alcatraz getting sentence to life without the possibility of renewal. RIP Rebecca Madsen

• Electric chairs just aren't what they used to be says:

That’s called a death sentence, carried out immediately. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAP!!!

11. Chuck says:

Finder cancelled? That seriously blows.

• rubytu says:

It was starting to get interesting. Friday nights? That’s the death knell. People go out on Friday nights, so what hope is there once they put a show there? It’s like they want it to die.

12. twitch201 says:

bullshiza!!!

13. Dr. Bombay says:

I honestly can’t believe anyone who watched the episode of Bones that introduced The Finder would tune in to watch the actual show. That was one of the worst hours of TV I’ve seen in a long time…

• Samantha says:

lol I’m betting most Bones fans weren’t the ones watching.

• Christina says:

Saw that episode of Bones and knew I wanted nothing to do with The Finder.

• Ros says:

I’m a diehard Bones fan, and I REALLY did try to get into The Finder. After suffering through several episodes, I had to let it go for the sake of my sanity. The series tried to be a comedy/drama, but the writing was awful, IMO. Too quirky and unrealistic for my tastes, and the characters (other than Stults and Duncan) just didn’t mesh. The storyline of the teenaged gypsy girl (can’t think of her name) was completely out of place in the series.

• lechatnoir says:

I think it tanked because Saffron Buress was missing. she was one of the gals introduced in that Bones episode. She was supposed to be on there . The teenage Missy was just there to make sure the show reaches its 43 mn mark . She shouldn’t have been on there in the first place.

• Evelyn says:

You got to be kidding me!

14. Kidwynn says:

No to happy about Fox cancelling The Finder. I really enjoyed the show, but as I learned from Firefly, leave it to Fox to cancel something I was just having a good time watching.

15. Ally says:

Totally bummed! I watched both shows :-(

16. Reena says:

Dislike! I really liked Alcatraz! maybe another network will pick it up? I am loving Touch glad to see it got renewed

17. wavytiger1 says:

I watched Touch and Alcatraz … maybe I should skip season 2 of Touch in protest

18. Myrna Lebron says:

I’m so sad about The Finder. I liked that show, it made me laugh. I was just getting use to the characters and enjoying the humor. It really could have used another season. I’m glad Fox renewed Touch at least.

19. TrulyRoxie says:

Boo! I liked both of those shows. I’m not adding any new shows from now on on the big 4 networks. I’ll stick to USA, TNT, and the pay channels. Goodbye network TV. You have alienated me for the LAST time!

20. Lauralea says:

Ugh, Fox. You ruin everything good. RIP Alcatraz.

21. shahendr says:

Not entirely surprising. My wife and I enjoyed both shows, but neither of them felt like shows we absolutely couldn’t miss. It’s a shame too because we really enjoyed the Finder episode of Bones, but the series itself just didn’t have the same charm for me.

22. John DeMayo says:

I wonder if Alcatraz has a chance to be picked up by Netflix? Being a J.J. Abrams mystery/sci-fi show with a dedicated fanbase, it seems like it might be a good fit over there.

I mean they WERE talking about picking up the massively more expensive “Terra Nova” awhile back. If they were thinking about that, surely they’d look at the much cheaper “Alcatraz”?

23. Amy says:

Man I really enjoyed Alcatraz, it had a lot of potential, and was far better than Touch. That sucks.

24. Jace says:

Hadn’t watched either of them, have them all DVR’d, but was waiting until season 2 was green-lit before starting, in the same boat with a few other shows. Started doing this last year, too many good new shows were getting the boot, it was reeeally starting to annoy me.

25. Kathleen says:

I knew Fox was going to do this to me. I loved The Finder so very much and they screwed me over again. I don’t want to watch anything they do anymore. I don’t even want to watch Bones anymore after this.

26. Angel says:

Awww! I really liked the Finder!!

27. tvdiva says:

Fox renewed Fringe and Touched, so I can live with Alcatraz and The Finder being axed, even though I watched them.

28. I wish The Finder could have gotten another season. I really like the characters and the dynamic.

• ben says:

I agree. People who complain forget that networks are slaves to income, which is a slave to ratings, which the Finder didn’t really have. I really wish it got another season too, because I think it deserved it. But I understand why it didn’t. Lets just hope there is a DVD release.

• TrulyRoxie says:

Of course, they stuck it in the Friday night death spot. Where did they thing the ratings were going to come from? I wasn’t usually home to watch it then either. I DVR’d it and watched it later.

29. Nina says:

Aw, what a shame. I really liked Alcatraz

30. Christina says:

I liked Alcatraz but knew it had no hope of renewal. Its ratings were the pits.

31. Larissa says:

Not happy. I really liked ALCATRAZ!! This is why I don’t get into FOX shows till after the 2nd season is underway. PRISON BREAK, HOUSE, 24….

32. JoshJacksononOnceuponatimefan says:

I loved the Finder. That sucks.

33. Mark says:

Damn. I really enjoyed “The Finder’. :(

• Mark says:

“The Finder” that is…

Btw, Don’t judge the show by the mediocre pilot that took place during the “Bones” episode. The regular episodes are much better.

34. Anon says:

Not Alcatraz. FML. I f*cking hate it when a TV show ends on a cliffhanger. She got stabbed by her grandfather. I’m pissed. I guess when House and Bones are off, I’ll no longer have to watch Fox.

35. rachel. says:

booooooooooooooo.

36. Sara says:

Screw you Fox :( I loved The Finder… very upset by this :(

37. Justin says:

Darn it! I really liked The Finder and Alcatraz. That sucks, man!

38. sk says:

I loved the Finder!! :( So sad.

39. murley says:

sad! i really loved alcatraz. i liked the finder although i hadn’t seen much of it.

40. FoxSucks says:

NOOOOOOO! To both!!!!!

41. Kevin says:

LOVED FINDER. stupid move FOX.

BTW Glee absolutely sucks.

42. mia says:

Ug. I frelling LOVED Alcatraz, looked forward to it every week. The show should have aired in the summer, when nothing is on, it would have done better.
    But Jorge Garcia and Sam Neill have the pedigree to have been granted a second season.
    I’m officially giving up on Fox. I will not watch a single new thing they air next year. If anything good manages to outlive this network’s desire to kill everything, I’ll check it out on DVD.
    Goodbye Fox.

43. Taryn says:

noooo i want the finder back :’(

44. MoonsKnight says:

I love The Finder, I really get genuine enjoyment out of it every week when I watch it. The only reason it was cancelled is because they moved it out of its Thursday night post-Idol slot for the new Kiefer Sutherland show… which obviously wasn’t going to get cancelled because Jack Bauer. But I can’t stand Touch, I couldn’t make it through the first 20 minutes. Oh well… I guess once again, Bones is all I have to watch on FOX…

• robert says:

Kiefer Sutherland only plays one character and I was bored with it after two seasons of 24. Scream, yell, pull your hair, hey, take another acting lesson, or better yet, find another profession. Touch is interesting, Jack Bauer as a baggage handler is finger nails on a chalkboard. Renewing a show after a few episodes demonstrates Fox’s failure oriented business model. I looked forward to the Alcatraz premier since they began teasing us with it last Fall and loved it once it finally arrived. I loved Glee until it became overly focused on homosexuality and less on the music. Smash is going the same way and losing my interest. I have gay friends and believe in live and let live, short of pedophiles and barnyard animals. What is next for Fox, the kindhearted child molester with the heart of gold? “A Man, His Dog, and A Jar of Peanut Butter?”

• Yes, that's a Fringe reference. says:

I can’t even believe what I just read. You just rambled about fox, changed the subject to your hate for paedophiles then decided to sign off by calling fox paedophiles. Somebody should call St. Claires hospital.

• lechatnoir says:

Roburt,

its just the plot points were limited. They’d been exausted after 3 seasons, I suppose. I tuned in at season 5 and watched to the end , I didn’t get the feeling that I missed anything from the previous seasons.

I like Kiefer sutherland , but let’s be honest his acting style is the same , just like Jennifer Love Hewitt. No matter what show they are in. They play the exact same person . They are too robotic.

45. Eliza says:

Boo. I really liked The Finder :(

46. raven says:

Sad news, but not at all unexpected.

47. Mindy says:

Ha! Who’d have thought at the beginning of the season that Terra Nova and Alcatraz would be cancelled but Fringe would be renewed? Go Fringe!

48. JeffDJ says:

I liked both shows. Worst part is well never get the answers behind what happened with the Alcatraz inmates. Biggest TV mystery this season and it’ll never get solved.

49. Larry says:

Disappointed. I really liked Alcatraz. I just think it was put on a bad night. Really wished that FOX had paired it off with Fringe on Fridays because it felt better suited on that day than on Mondays.