Ratings: Voice Is Up and Down, Gossip Girl Drops But Dixie Holds Steady, Broke Girls Ends Low

Get More: Finales, News, Ratings

Spotted: Gossip Girl drawing 870,000 total viewers this Monday, while scoring a 0.4 demo rating, translating into week-to-week declines of 15 and 33 percent. That said, the CW sudser is still expected to return in the fall for a shortened final season.

The good news for CW bubble show Hart Of Dixie is that it held rock steady, with 1.33 million viewers and a 0.6 rating. Next Monday: Both CW dramas finale!

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s Smash Recap: Peanut Butter and Jealousy

Monday’s only gainers were The Voice (10.5 mil/3.7, up two tenths) — though it was down 16 percent from last summer’s final performance show — the Castle finale (up 13 and 9 percent to 12.6 mil/2.5), and Smash‘s penultimate episode (6 mil/1.9, up 11 percent and a tenth). Fun fact: ABC notes that Castle hit more than six-month highs with its season-ender, wrapping its most-watched season ever (up 8 percent YOY).

RELATED | Post Mortem: Castle Boss Says What Comes Next Is Tough, ‘But It’ll Be Fun Tough’

Elsewhere:

* 2 Broke Girls‘ hour-long freshman finale drew 8.9 mil and a 3.2, down 11 percent in the demo to a series low. Two and a Half Men and Mike & Molly were steadier.

* Fox’s Bones (6.9 mil/1.9) dipped a hair, while House (6.2 mil/2.1) held steady with another excellent episode. Can you believe that [spoiler] quit?!

* Dancing With the Stars (16 mil/2.6) dipped 7 percent to hit a new all-time low for a performance show.

* Hawaii Five-0 was down 15 and 8 percent to 9.24 mil/2.3, placing second on both counts behind Castle.

Comments (70)

• Glad that Castle did well! The finale was SO good!

Comment by Alex – May 8, 2012 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones was EPIC last night. The case was good. The actors were hilarious. Cam’s movie was hilarious…and of course, I loved B&B talking about moving to California and the kissing. They are so in love. They are soul mates.

I hope the ratings are better for the finale next week. I believe that DWTS and the Voice had their finales last night and everyone want to tune into see the best dancer or best singer. At least they are holding their own though. Not very many shows would do that well against 2 reality shows and a primetime comedy.

Comment by Jillian – May 8, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Part 1 of The Voice finale was last night. DWTS still has 2 weeks after this one.

Comment by Meg – May 8, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The what about the Bachelorette premiere next Monday? I think it airs in the 8 pm timeslot.

Comment by Jillian – May 8, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • DWTS 8-930 and then Bachelorette 930-1100

Comment by sarah – May 8, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t know. But there’s still 6 couples left and after the double elimination tonight it goes to 4.

Comment by Meg – May 8, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bones was on last night? Gosh, I forgot with all the Castle! Squeeeee

Comment by Floodlit World – May 8, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GOSSIP GIRL should be canceled. This show has become unwatchable. Characters returning from the dead and then you have this immature characters who still don’t know what to do with themselves. Blair’s love life has become pathetic, Lily returned to being an ice queen and proves that she made no development what so ever and Serena has become a pathetic hypocrite who does what exactly for a living? GG destroyed most of their characters. No wonder ratings are down! I hope with these numbers HART OF DIXIE proves that it can build an audience out of a bad lead in.

Comment by Daniela – May 8, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! GG went downhill after the second season. I’m not even sure why I’ve kept up with it.

Comment by Sam – May 8, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think GG went downhill after the second half of S4. Season 3 wasn’t bad.

Comment by Didi – May 8, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I was really hopeful after they eliminated the menace that was Jenny Humphrey and the pit of despair that was Vanessa but they really only managed a couple of good episodes and then it just went so far down that it was unrecognizable.

Comment by Pash – May 8, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • its too painful to watch anymore! i mean i do keep watching but its rough.

Comment by Elyse – May 9, 2012 04:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree Sam, quit watching in early s3. I’ll be mad if this makes it and Ringer doesn’t.

Comment by lorna – May 9, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I haven’t even watched S5, and i was utterly devoted for the first three seasons. At the beginning, the show was compelling partly hearing real UES kids talk about how ‘real’ (if hyperbolized) the behaviors and issues were – but after graduation, all was lost. Model student Blair not getting into college and being black-balled from every school? Chuck taking over a billion-dollar company at 18, then running away leaving no one in charge? This should have been a 4 season show, and gone out on a high note with Dorota’s baby and a Chair proposal (but no wedding, please leave to the imagination). Even the quality of the musical score fell off after S3… felt like everyone went off to work on other new stuff and didn’t bother to keep an eye.

Comment by Bec215 – May 8, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “felt like everyone went off to work on other new stuff and didn’t bother to keep an eye.”–This is exactly how I feel. Even the wardrobe department, which was previously exceptional, seems to be phoning it in. Occasionally they’ll produce an excellent outfit for Blair but other than that everyone just looks like they are shopping at Hobos’R’Us. Blair lost her hairbrush for the first half of the season (including her wedding and Dan Humphrey is allowed to walk around with his hair looking like something out of a horror film.

Comment by Pash – May 8, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s terrible! Isn’t it!? GG used to be so good at things like this. Several actors don’t seem to have fun on the show anymore. The writing is on the wall for over a year now. There is nothing special. Why keep this train wreck around for another year if nobody seems to care anymore. Not the actors, the writers and the wardrobe department. It’s terrible what this show has become. So yeah The CW should just end it and give rather some other freshman show a chance.

Comment by Daniela – May 8, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only thing in my mind GG has going for it is the Blair/Dan pairing, and even that I’m not completely invested in because Penn Badgley checked out 2 or 3 seasons back. And Serena has basically become irredeemable at this point. I mean, even the CW with it’s cellar-dwelling ratings can logically justify keeping a show with less than 900,000 viewers, not to mention creative bankruptcy. This really needs to be the final season.

Comment by ChrisGa – May 8, 2012 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They should cancel GG and make a Georgina spin off, seriously!

Comment by martina – May 8, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • GG has gotten so bad… please cancel it to keep better CW shows around.

Comment by Elyse – May 9, 2012 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more. I absolutely loved it at first, it was must-see tv. Seasons one and two were perfection. Amazing. And then season three…I stopped watching half way through because I was soooo bored. I started watching again at the end and I’ve kept up with it, but every week just makes me angry because it’s so bad now. I remember when I actually liked these characters.

Comment by Lauren – May 9, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t know how more people watch DWTS than The Voice or more people watch The Voice than DWTS.

Comment by bad kevin – May 8, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And please guys, no more Bones or Castle bashing. They are both really great shows who have two really hot couples that are both totally in love and together now. I’m a fan of both shows. And just bashing or comparing shows, especially when you have never even seen one of the shows before, is stupid and immature.

Comment by Jillian – May 8, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree more Jillian. I absolutely love both shows and do not understand the bashing. Both shows are awesome. They are similar but at the same time totally different.

Comment by Sue – May 8, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unfortunately, too many TV fans today think that in order to be a good fan of their favorite show, they must bash another show. Not quite sure where this mindset came from, but I agree with you, it’s stupid and immature. (Not to mention, it has no impact on your favorite show getting renewed.)

Comment by JC – May 8, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, bashing included. And with that, Castle sucks!

Comment by tripoli – May 8, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Castle smashes Bones out of the park religiously every week. So stop making a fool out of yourself and eat your bones.

Comment by Daniel – May 9, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, Castle!! Well deserved for a fabulous episode!

Comment by Andrea – May 8, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My main problem with the Voice is that I feel zero emotional attachment to any of the characters. I just don’t care for them like I do with the people on American Idol. I stopped watching after the battle rounds and I didn’t watch the finale shows last year either. I think this is the fault of editing of the show. The back stories that they do show seem so fake and are actually quite annoying. More of the actual person’s personality needs to be shown so as to get that emotional investment.

Comment by Mark – May 8, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. The format doesn’t allow for attachment. I counted it up, and each of the singers in the final only competed on FOUR live shows. On American Idol you have thirteen weeks of live shows to get invested with the contestants.

I watched every episode this season of The Voice, and I’m done with it.

Comment by Rolfe – May 8, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did the 2nd half of 2 Broke Girls have more viewers than the first half? People might not have been aware it was an hour and assumed at 8:00 they’d get a HIMYM rerun.

Comment by webuiltthepyramids – May 8, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep — 8.4 mil/2.9 vs 9.3 mil/3.4.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 8, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad idea for CBS: 2 Broke Girls wasn’t ready for a hour long episode and should have been split into two episodes with the finale airing on the 14th or heck the 21st to keep some fans in suspense just like they did with the HIMYM fans this week.

Comment by Mary Beth – May 8, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hawaii Five-0 was epic and so explosive to watch.

Comment by LovesAlexO (@Radazzle) – May 8, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ohhh, good to hear. I DVR’d H50 so I could watch the Castle finale’ live. I know of several ppl who did the same.

Comment by wrstlgirl – May 8, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wait until you see the season finale….

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 8, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If GG gets a shortened season every single one of the “on the bubble” shows for the CW should because they all are doing better.

Comment by Sam – May 8, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • die, gossip girl, die! i love chair but every single thing in this show is horrible, nothing makes sense anymore and those characters aren’t the one we fell in love with. the show is completely unwatchable. i can’t believe they brought back bart to life! latin telenovelas are better than this show. and they will renew it, with these dreadful ratings they will renew it! awful, awful show.

Comment by ksica – May 8, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word. GG really needs to go away. I stopped watching after the “big wedding,” but I can’t stop myself from still looking at the promos- and they’re horrible! I can’t take it anymore, this is like watching a formerly dear friend take on a terrible job or get with a jerk-y boyfriend. Just make it stop.

Comment by Carla – May 8, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched House and Castle live for the first time all season, and I didn’t regret it. I think that House is moving toward a fitting ending. Those crying “Cuddy foul” at every chance are setting themselves up for perpetual unhappiness, but these last few episodes has me feeling that Shore & Co. are going to end the show well.

Comment by Emily – May 8, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am glad HOD did well.
    I am surprised that h50 was down with Alex’s return how could you not tune in. However I bet people recorded it and watched the Castle finale “live”.
    That is good that Smash did that well.
    Well of Gossip Girl did that bad ( I think it is the worst of any show this season) then maybe they should just end it instead of cancelling something else that actually does better: Ringer, HOD and Secret Circle have never been that low, at least I do not think so.

Comment by sarah – May 8, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • kinda funny the chuck/bart/blair episode has such a epic fall

Comment by ggny – May 8, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I remember when I saw the pilot to 2 Broke Girls and I thought how funny and clever it was and I was looking forward to seeing the season. It unfortunately lost a lot of the temp and comedic wit of the pilot during the season and the sex jokes got into overkill. But the thing that lost it for me, was not seeing them catch a bigger break. To me what happened in the finale wasn’t a big break. I just feel like there was a lot of filler episodes in the season vs seeing progress in the cupcake business.
    People like to root for the underdogs and it felt like they could not get any of the business off the ground and the entire premise of the show is the business. So when you have a story and the audience doesn’t see some measure of success with the characters and all they keep doing is being let down, it makes the audience feel let down. You need to have a better balance of bad things happening vs good things. I also didn’t like the whole Johnny relationship. It would have been nice to see him and Max actually date. The whole scene with them at the end was a nicely acted but it felt too depressing. I know it can’t all be too much rainbows and sunshine in their situation but…I don’t know if I am explaining this right.

Comment by Alex – May 8, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The actor got cast in another show for the fall. I think that is why the storyline ended the way that it did. At least they wrapped it up and didn’t just leave it hanging out there.

Comment by cmunney – May 8, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly how I felt about the Johnny situation. It turned me off of the show. I knew he got a pilot but they didn’t have to make me dislike the character either. Such a letdown.

Comment by tp – May 9, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If TSC gets canceled and GG gets renewed I’m calling shenanigans. Just let GG die already. TSC has held steady ever since that ONE bad week after a hiatus. Its constantly had a 0.7 throughout the season and it will be a damn shame if it gets canceled when its been superb!

Comment by Michelle – May 8, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But TSC is a new show with the BEST slot on the schedule so it’s still underperforming. I doubt it will do better when they move it next season and the primo spot behind TVD goes elsewhere.

Comment by welp – May 8, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Every show paired with TVD hasnt sustained the same viewers. Just goes to show you how vampire fans aren’t willing to give another show a go. They benefitted with the twilight mania when it premiered thus the same viewers. But if you noticed, viewership has been down for them too. As a fan of BOTH shoes, TSC is leaps and bounds better than TVD at this moment in time. TSC has been on fire since the 13th episode. Reminscent of early TVD days when it only got good in the middle of the season.

TSC has SO much potential, and is finally hitting its stride. Canceling it would be a disgrace. GG had a good run. Ringer had the most promotion of ANY new show on the network and it failed. 90210 should be gone but isn’t. HoD is a nice show but really forgettable. Nikita deserves to be renewed along with TSC, but would benefit from being on a new network like maybe FX or TBS.

TSC has found its groove and niche. Canceling it would be terrible.

Comment by Michelle – May 8, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wouldn’t exactly consider the slot after TVD the best slot anymore. TSC is fantastic and deserves a 2nd season hands down (and I hope the CW renews it soon! Tune in LIVE people this Thursday!), but it seems like after TVD people like to jump off the TV and tweet all about it rather than stick around and watch the next show live – they probably watch it later.

Comment by Anon – May 8, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m laughing at Gossip Girl’s ratings because all the shipper war posturing that goes on in that fandom, but it better not be cancelled given the season finale promo. It would be the worst series finale scenario for SB to end on the note of Serena cheating with Blair’s boyfriend… again.

On second thought cancel this show, sigh.

Comment by welp – May 8, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, on the one hand i want it to end well, but on the other I can’t face the thought of another thirteen episodes of this crap. Not to mention the writers are probably incapable of ending it well.

Comment by Lauren – May 9, 2012 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GG has been truly awful this season and last night’s ep was no exception. Let it die already, it’s been flogged enough!! Seriously, every character has slept with each other twice or more. They can’t drag it out for another season and expect people to watch.
    There is no justice if they renew GG over Hart of Dixie or even Nikita.

Comment by Sarah – May 8, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow under a million viewers! That’s horrible. I can’t believe they’re still renewing it. And the strangest thing is…NBC is bringing the showrunner of this show over to Smash! How does that make sense!?

Comment by Josh – May 8, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Had the CW any brains, the would cancel 90210, Ringer, GG and HOD…They should renew Nikita and keep the rest…This channel is nothing but a teeny/teen soap channel minus Nikita and America’s next top model. IMO most of these shows are just filler for a channel that is barely staying a float.

Comment by TIREDOFCRAPTV – May 8, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved loved LOVED 2 Broke Girls :) My highlights were the return of Johnny and Max’s final(?) goodbye to him and Han as a jockey – oh that and Chestnut!

Comment by Gabi – May 8, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the cw decides to give GG another sesson or even 13 episodes is only fair for thrm to give the other shows a chance. Those ratings are horrible. I.keep.reading all.this nice things about HOD.that I hsve decided to catch up over the summer i.haf plsns to watch it when it firdt started.but already had other shows recording.

Comment by jd – May 8, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GG haters, a GG writer tweeted Gossip Girl Season Six on fri night so it’s been renewed but cws waiting til announcing a new show to announce it

Comment by Brandy – May 8, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At this point i really dont care about the stupid ratings…
    Again last night…[H]ouse deliever another great episode…
    I (and my friends) still prefer watching our favorite addiction live, Rather watch crappy reality tv..,.seriouly!

Like last week, with that amazing/sarcastic scene of
    “pizza box/tequila shot Battleship…simply priceless!
    With “Post Mortem”, it was the steak eating contest and the bus stop/rtn Home trip scenes-who got me/us laughfing and on the verge of crying…pure honest friendship…
    Again..best chemistry/bromance(in/off screen) between House & Wilson…they are the heart of the series…
    and the main case was interesting too..great job by the ducklings..and what a shock with Chase leaving (gracefully) at the end…
    Honestly, at the beguining was a bit afraid by having Peter Weller directing…bcuz sometime new/guest star director(not like regular ones) don’t watch the series & can forget to capture the meaning of the story/arc & close up on the actors…
    But last night..Weller did an amazing job…almost believe that HLaurie directed again(sequel to The C Word) or maybe assisted him…bcuz the last scene…that close up was so intense&heartbreaking…no word..but that look said everything…
    With only 2 episodes left.. I’m dying of suspense overload just to wait until Monday again… I’m not prepared either to say farewell to my favorite show…it’s gonna be hard on may 21st…

Comment by Jules – May 8, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While you are still somewhat incoherent and use a pathetic writing style, at least you are starting to make sense with your posts.

Comment by Sg.Grant – May 8, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh Jules, your commenting style will not be missed.

Comment by tripoli – May 8, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gossip Girl: Dan needs a haircut and a shave. Plus he needs to be with Serena and Blair and go to Rome with them. Chuck should go off with his dad and uncle and head to Bangkok and stay there permanently. If it GG stays on they need to get Georgina on full time. She was the only spark (Sparks) whole season. The idiotic prince thing was annoying and dumb. Then the baby thing and who’s the daddy. Then the “car accident took care of that problem. Oh maybe the baby is alive too like Bart. Lilly is a bigamist now too. They made her character turn into a total bit*h over the Ivy thing which was her sister’s doing and kept giving Rufus another reason to leave. Come on stop with the cliche’s all over the places. Come up with some good stories.

Comment by BrianR – May 8, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need Bones back on Thursdays! It’s obviously not doing well on Mondays. The last time it had such bad numbers was when? S1? 2? :/ the long break and the move didn’t do it any good and I’d like to see few more seasons. It went from 12 mil to 6.9 :/ :/ :/

Comment by Deena – May 8, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really weak numbers for Hawaii five o. I thought numbers would go up because Alex O’Loughlin was back in the show after being on rehab , instead numbers dropped. Seems u cannot trust tweeter, a few were talking about how the show was going to rise and they were wrong.

Comment by Kate – May 8, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Castle deserved this!! Great season and awesome season finale!!

Comment by Mari – May 8, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funny how One Tree Hill got axed when it outperformed most of the other CW shows. And it should be noted that Nikita’s low numbers come on a Friday night with considerabley less people watching TV. It should be renewed over Gossip Girl, end of story.

Comment by Virginia M (@trickygin) – May 8, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, there wasn’t going to even be a s9 but the cast wanted to give the fans a proper goodbye. It was more that the cast was ready to move on, after 9 years, I can tell you that is fair enough. If they had wanted a s10, I bet there would’ve been one. LUX getting axed was a big mistake.

Comment by lorna – May 9, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • of course Gossip Girl dropped in ratings, the attention is being shifted back to the same old tired beating a dead horse chair…….END IT ALREADY!

Comment by Hojana – May 8, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the first few seasons of America Idol and then they lost me. I completely disagree with perceptions of The Voice. I love the format and find myself rooting for them more than I ever did on Idol. The biggest thing that bothers me about Idol is they put an age limit on talent. X Factor and The Voice don’t do that.

Comment by Jodee – May 8, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The reason GG is down so much in the ratings is because of the pairing of Blair and Dan. Granted the season didn’t start off well with the Prince and all, but Blair and Dan are the most boring couple on the planet. I haven’t watched the last 3 episodes because I can’t stand it. I just read the recaps to know if this horrible couple have broken up yet. I’ll watch the season finale in the hopes that Blair either chooses Chuck or she chooses neither. As long as she doesn’t choose Dan, I don’t care.

On a different note, I’ve been watching HIMYM, 2 Broke GIrls, and Bones instead and they have all been fantastic.

Comment by Brit – May 9, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you kidding me? Dan and Blair are the best pairing this show has done since S3, and they are a lot more entertaining than the way they write Chair. I think some shippers are holding onto the S1 relationship Chair had, but ever since S4 and S5 Chair has been nothing but tiresome melodrama and misery.

Comment by Beth – May 10, 2012 12:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Disagree. DB killed the show for me, basically destroying all the reasons I watched the show. Now it’s HIMYM and 2BG for me on Mondays.

Comment by Emily – May 10, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post