Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Scoop: NBC Greenlights J.J. Abrams' Revolution, Ryan Murphy's New Normal

Capping a busy day for the Peacock net, NBC has picked up the Ryan Murphy comedy The New Normal and the J.J. Abrams-Eric Kripke thriller Revolution to series.

That brings to four the number of new shows the Peacock has ordered for fall, joining previously greenlit comedies Save Me (starring Anne Heche) and Go On (starring Matthew Perry).

Revolution — starring The Cape‘s David Lyons, Twilight’s Billy Burke and Breaking Bad‘s Giancarlo Esposito — is described as a high-octane action drama following a group of characters struggling to survive and reunite with loved ones in a world where all forms of energy have mysteriously ceased to exist.

The New Normal, meanwhile, centers on a blended family made up of a gay couple (Book of Mormon‘s Andrew Rannells and The Hangover‘s Justin Bartha) and the surrogate (Georgia King) helping them have a baby of their own. Murphy co-wrote the pilot with Glee scribe Ali Adler.

NBC will formally unveil its fall schedule to advertisers next Monday. In the meantime, scroll down for a first look at Revolution and New Normal.

Comments (53)

• Welp…there goes the quality of American Horror Story…

Comment by bamabunny – May 7, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re hilarious if you think Ryan Murphy brings anything worthwhile to the table. To any table.

Comment by Kerry – May 7, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • tvline.com needs to add upvote functionality to their comments system immediately.

Comment by Robert Paulson – May 7, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Up, perhaps.

Comment by jrobbed – May 7, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s like saying “There goes Kim Kardashian’s intelligence.”

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – May 7, 2012 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well he didn’t write all of the 1st season so what made you think he’d write all off the 2nd?

Comment by dee123 – May 7, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ausiello, now we want more details on ‘Revolution’ as soon as possible!!!

Please….

Comment by john – May 7, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm whatever happened to that Sarah Silverman show? I felt like that would be an absolute lock for a fall slot when they announced it, considering NBC’s building of strong women in comedy. But then…nothing. Kind of went dark there? Does anyone have any info on it? I haven’t seen it in literally an article on any website thats talking about the upfront pickups.

Comment by Mark – May 7, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Deadline said it was a ‘long shot’ i.e. disappointing

Comment by Berry – May 7, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh thanks for the info, I hadn’t heard. I just googled it and apparently the title was Susan 313, didn’t know that either!

Comment by Mark – May 7, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sarah Silverman is the antithesis of comedy.

Comment by Mike – May 7, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Revolution sounds interesting but one more blended family sit com,….. yak

Comment by 1mars – May 7, 2012 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is the New Normal the one that NeNe would be a regular character on?

Comment by Mark – May 7, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is the show NeNe Leakes is on, but she’s only set to recur at the moment.

Comment by Dizzle – May 7, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good to know *makes note to pass on New Normal*

Comment by Carmichael – May 7, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That picture alone is enough for me to hope it dies a quick painful death.

Comment by smidnite – May 7, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good. Justin Bartha is hot AND his character is gay. Love it.

Comment by S – May 7, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a very worried about Revolution, just feels like we’ve had this before with Terra Nova and we all know how well that one did. It also feels like Walking Dead, which unfortunately I’m not saying as a good thing. Sure, it may say a “high-octane action drama,” but knowing the limitation of network TV shows, I’m guessing one or two “high octane episodes” and then many, many episodes of characters sitting and talking and whining and speechifing at each other what the world and their lives USED to be like (ala Walking Dead season 2). And “reunite with loved ones”? So, we’re just going to have another similar character to Michael screaming Walt every 15 minutes?

Eeh, I’m just not that convinced it can hold up at all.

Comment by Mark – May 7, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is already the third comedy for NBC :x I just dearly hope that this isn’t really bad news for Community )= It sounds like the show could be quite some fun and I would be happy to see Andrew Rannells on my screen, but I am not willing to give up Community for that…

But it sounds a lot like they are moving a few of the current comedy shows to midseason…

Comment by S. from A. – May 7, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have the same reservations. I’m betting we won’t see Parks & Rec till at least January. Plus there’s also Whitney, Best Friends Forever, and Are You THere CHelsea that need to go. Still, I think networks are starting to learn lessons *Points to Chuck and Fringe* I’m betting Community will get its fourth season and they’ll say that’s the last one.

Comment by Carmichael – May 7, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Go On is starting early (in August, right after the Olympics), so I’d assume they are planning on splitting time slots and doing a lot of shuffling like they did this year with Thursday nights. Whether or not that will be successful remains to be seen….

Comment by CJ – May 7, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @Ausiello

No Kripke in the headline?

Comment by KS Winchester (@winchesterks) – May 7, 2012 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t ABC just cancel The Revolution? I hope the show gets a name change. Wonder what this means for Gian and OUAT?

Comment by CJ – May 7, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited about the new NBC series Revolution if it debuts in the Fall.

Comment by kevin – May 7, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a gonna go ahead and play living room programmer and suggest NBC makes this decision for Tuesday night:

Up All Night
    The New Normal

Go On
    Save Me

Parenthood

Having only read the descriptions, this looks like a cohesive and solid evening of TV, which is why NBC will ignore me.

Biggest Loser should have gone to Friday or Sunday years ago, where it would get the same ratings, and fill what seems to be a doomed hole on NBCs schedule

The Revolution/Grimm would benefit being together in the same block…in theory on Wed followed by some Crime procedural at 10ET

Comment by mkedy – May 7, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • right there with you on most of that save for the crime procedural on Wednesday. The world doesn’t need any more of them.

Comment by Carmichael – May 7, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The world needs more crime procedurals than sitcoms. I actually have more respect for reality shows than 30 minute sitcoms.

Comment by smidnite – May 7, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They won’t put Ryan Murphy against his own show on Fox. That wouldn’t make any sense… it will likely draw similar fan bases.

Comment by KSM – May 7, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very excited to have Eric Kripke back on TV. Will definitely check out Revolution.

Comment by Spn Dahne – May 7, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The gay couple look like Kurt and Blaine from Glee

Comment by Ian – May 7, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you for that nightmarish image. Now I can’t get it out of my head. Someone pass the brain bleach.

Comment by thefirstmrshummel – May 7, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • When I first saw it, I thought it was for TLC’s newest series.

Comment by smidnite – May 7, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After witnessing the debacle that something with as much promise Glee became, I will never watch another Ryan Murphy show in my life. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Comment by thefirstmrshummel – May 7, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you put your cursor over the picture of the cast of Revolution, it’ll say Blackout – Season Pilot. Either that’s the show’s new name or the name of the pilot.

Comment by Sammy – May 7, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In Kripke we trust :)

Comment by Toni-ann – May 7, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t Ryan Murphy the same guy behind Nip/Tuck which can only be characterized as offensive, sexist, cartoonish and badly written? Glee is only enjoyable because of the music but it is horrifically written. Who would trust him with producing anything worth watching? NBC, the already-on-the-brink, polarizing network.

Comment by Ana – May 7, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hopefully he’ll stick to Glee and let someone else showrun this one. Then it could be interesting!

Comment by cinephilactic – May 7, 2012 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cause hes the best gay dad that anybody could have, yes hes the best gay dad that anybody could have. Love Justin Bertha!! This show looks promising!

Comment by BL – May 7, 2012 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kripke created Supernatural, my all-time favourite tv show, so I’m really looking forward to Revolution.

I hope it has a classic rock soundtrack too. I’m just listening to @TheMixxRadio playing all the kickass tunes from season 2 of Supernatural, and man is it making me miss Kripke’s musical influence on the show!

Comment by Mickey – May 7, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excited for The Revolution! I need something to fill the hole LOST has left in my heart.

Comment by Gem – May 7, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope NBC doesn’t have the guts to cancel another J.J. Abrams series just like it did with Undercovers.

Comment by kevin – May 7, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Undercovers was really terrible though. Not everything that J.J. Abrams touches turns to gold.

Comment by Alex – May 7, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revolution sounds like it has the potential to be awesome, or a hot mess. At the very least, I’ll give it a shot because of J.J. Abrams.

I really hope that Ryan Murphy has learned from his mistakes with Glee and American Horror Story, but somehow I doubt it.

Comment by Alex – May 7, 2012 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC better pick up County as a series too since the drama series is created by Jason Katims, the same man who did Friday Night Lights & Parenthood.

Comment by bad kevin – May 7, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eesh. That Revolution cast photo is painfully corny. Esposito is going to have to save this show, isn’t he? Good luck, but he may wish he was back in the Evil Queen’s mirror..

Comment by Temis – May 7, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not nearly as vomit inducing as the image below it.

Comment by smidnite – May 7, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CAN’T WAIT TO SEE REVOLUTION I LOVE ERIC’S SUPERNATURAL SO LETS SE WHERE THIS SHOW GOES LIKE TONNI ANN SAID IN KRIPKE WE TRUST

Comment by Amanpreet Dhaliwal (@AmanpreetD) – May 7, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revolution sounds ridiculous. If for some reason, physics changed, and electrical energy stopped — people would fall over dead. Clearly kinectic energy still works. Clearly they can still light fires, so combustion and steam power would work. Sun’s still shining, right? What kind of energy stopped working then? None.

Comment by Jay – May 7, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That second image of the New Normal is not helping them. Bad advertising peeps!

Comment by cinephilactic – May 7, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really interested in Revolution.
    Murphy has magically forgot how to write a decent show in the middle of season 3 of Nip/Tuck, so not really interested in his show.

Comment by Polly – May 8, 2012 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely checking out Revolution. I mean, the creator of Supernatural + the creator of Alias/Lost/Fringe?? I am SO IN.

Comment by Mikael – May 8, 2012 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy crap, New Normal marketing folks. Delete that promotional image immediately (the second pic). That is atrocious. You are doing yourselves no favors!

Revolution sounds kind of lame, but…Billy Burke! I might have to watch just for him.

Comment by Sarah – May 8, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post