Fall TV Scoop: NBC Greenlights J.J. Abrams' Revolution, Ryan Murphy's New Normal

Capping a busy day for the Peacock net, NBC has picked up the Ryan Murphy comedy The New Normal and the J.J. Abrams-Eric Kripke thriller Revolution to series.

That brings to four the number of new shows the Peacock has ordered for fall, joining previously greenlit comedies Save Me (starring Anne Heche) and Go On (starring Matthew Perry).

Revolution — starring The Cape‘s David Lyons, Twilight’s Billy Burke and Breaking Bad‘s Giancarlo Esposito — is described as a high-octane action drama following a group of characters struggling to survive and reunite with loved ones in a world where all forms of energy have mysteriously ceased to exist.

The New Normal, meanwhile, centers on a blended family made up of a gay couple (Book of Mormon‘s Andrew Rannells and The Hangover‘s Justin Bartha) and the surrogate (Georgia King) helping them have a baby of their own. Murphy co-wrote the pilot with Glee scribe Ali Adler.

NBC will formally unveil its fall schedule to advertisers next Monday. In the meantime, scroll down for a first look at Revolution and New Normal.

1. bamabunny says:

Welp…there goes the quality of American Horror Story…

2. john says:

Ausiello, now we want more details on ‘Revolution’ as soon as possible!!!

Please….

3. Mark says:

Hmm whatever happened to that Sarah Silverman show? I felt like that would be an absolute lock for a fall slot when they announced it, considering NBC’s building of strong women in comedy. But then…nothing. Kind of went dark there? Does anyone have any info on it? I haven’t seen it in literally an article on any website thats talking about the upfront pickups.

4. 1mars says:

The Revolution sounds interesting but one more blended family sit com,….. yak

5. Mark says:

Is the New Normal the one that NeNe would be a regular character on?

6. S says:

Good. Justin Bartha is hot AND his character is gay. Love it.

7. Mark says:

I’m a very worried about Revolution, just feels like we’ve had this before with Terra Nova and we all know how well that one did. It also feels like Walking Dead, which unfortunately I’m not saying as a good thing. Sure, it may say a “high-octane action drama,” but knowing the limitation of network TV shows, I’m guessing one or two “high octane episodes” and then many, many episodes of characters sitting and talking and whining and speechifing at each other what the world and their lives USED to be like (ala Walking Dead season 2). And “reunite with loved ones”? So, we’re just going to have another similar character to Michael screaming Walt every 15 minutes?

Eeh, I’m just not that convinced it can hold up at all.

8. S. from A. says:

This is already the third comedy for NBC :x I just dearly hope that this isn’t really bad news for Community )= It sounds like the show could be quite some fun and I would be happy to see Andrew Rannells on my screen, but I am not willing to give up Community for that…

But it sounds a lot like they are moving a few of the current comedy shows to midseason…

• Carmichael says:

I have the same reservations. I’m betting we won’t see Parks & Rec till at least January. Plus there’s also Whitney, Best Friends Forever, and Are You THere CHelsea that need to go. Still, I think networks are starting to learn lessons *Points to Chuck and Fringe* I’m betting Community will get its fourth season and they’ll say that’s the last one.

• CJ says:

Go On is starting early (in August, right after the Olympics), so I’d assume they are planning on splitting time slots and doing a lot of shuffling like they did this year with Thursday nights. Whether or not that will be successful remains to be seen….

9. @Ausiello

No Kripke in the headline?

10. CJ says:

Didn’t ABC just cancel The Revolution? I hope the show gets a name change. Wonder what this means for Gian and OUAT?

11. kevin says:

I’m excited about the new NBC series Revolution if it debuts in the Fall.

12. mkedy says:

I’m a gonna go ahead and play living room programmer and suggest NBC makes this decision for Tuesday night:

Up All Night
    The New Normal

Go On
    Save Me

Parenthood

Having only read the descriptions, this looks like a cohesive and solid evening of TV, which is why NBC will ignore me.

Biggest Loser should have gone to Friday or Sunday years ago, where it would get the same ratings, and fill what seems to be a doomed hole on NBCs schedule

The Revolution/Grimm would benefit being together in the same block…in theory on Wed followed by some Crime procedural at 10ET

• Carmichael says:

right there with you on most of that save for the crime procedural on Wednesday. The world doesn’t need any more of them.

• smidnite says:

The world needs more crime procedurals than sitcoms. I actually have more respect for reality shows than 30 minute sitcoms.

• KSM says:

They won’t put Ryan Murphy against his own show on Fox. That wouldn’t make any sense… it will likely draw similar fan bases.

13. Spn Dahne says:

Very excited to have Eric Kripke back on TV. Will definitely check out Revolution.

14. Ian says:

The gay couple look like Kurt and Blaine from Glee

15. thefirstmrshummel says:

After witnessing the debacle that something with as much promise Glee became, I will never watch another Ryan Murphy show in my life. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

16. Sammy says:

If you put your cursor over the picture of the cast of Revolution, it’ll say Blackout – Season Pilot. Either that’s the show’s new name or the name of the pilot.

17. Toni-ann says:

In Kripke we trust :)

18. Ana says:

Isn’t Ryan Murphy the same guy behind Nip/Tuck which can only be characterized as offensive, sexist, cartoonish and badly written? Glee is only enjoyable because of the music but it is horrifically written. Who would trust him with producing anything worth watching? NBC, the already-on-the-brink, polarizing network.

19. BL says:

Cause hes the best gay dad that anybody could have, yes hes the best gay dad that anybody could have. Love Justin Bertha!! This show looks promising!

20. Mickey says:

Kripke created Supernatural, my all-time favourite tv show, so I’m really looking forward to Revolution.

I hope it has a classic rock soundtrack too. I’m just listening to @TheMixxRadio playing all the kickass tunes from season 2 of Supernatural, and man is it making me miss Kripke’s musical influence on the show!

21. Gem says:

Excited for The Revolution! I need something to fill the hole LOST has left in my heart.

22. kevin says:

Hope NBC doesn’t have the guts to cancel another J.J. Abrams series just like it did with Undercovers.

23. Alex says:

Revolution sounds like it has the potential to be awesome, or a hot mess. At the very least, I’ll give it a shot because of J.J. Abrams.

I really hope that Ryan Murphy has learned from his mistakes with Glee and American Horror Story, but somehow I doubt it.

24. bad kevin says:

NBC better pick up County as a series too since the drama series is created by Jason Katims, the same man who did Friday Night Lights & Parenthood.

25. Temis says:

Eesh. That Revolution cast photo is painfully corny. Esposito is going to have to save this show, isn’t he? Good luck, but he may wish he was back in the Evil Queen’s mirror..

26. CAN’T WAIT TO SEE REVOLUTION I LOVE ERIC’S SUPERNATURAL SO LETS SE WHERE THIS SHOW GOES LIKE TONNI ANN SAID IN KRIPKE WE TRUST

27. Jay says:

Revolution sounds ridiculous. If for some reason, physics changed, and electrical energy stopped — people would fall over dead. Clearly kinectic energy still works. Clearly they can still light fires, so combustion and steam power would work. Sun’s still shining, right? What kind of energy stopped working then? None.

28. That second image of the New Normal is not helping them. Bad advertising peeps!

29. Polly says:

Really interested in Revolution.
    Murphy has magically forgot how to write a decent show in the middle of season 3 of Nip/Tuck, so not really interested in his show.

30. Mikael says:

Definitely checking out Revolution. I mean, the creator of Supernatural + the creator of Alias/Lost/Fringe?? I am SO IN.

31. Sarah says:

Holy crap, New Normal marketing folks. Delete that promotional image immediately (the second pic). That is atrocious. You are doing yourselves no favors!

Revolution sounds kind of lame, but…Billy Burke! I might have to watch just for him.