Report: NBC Poised to Renew Community, 30 Rock and Parks and Rec - But There's a Catch

30 Rock Tina FeyNBC is looking to bring back its Thursday night comedy block — with some caveats.

The Peacock network is nearing a deal that would see 30 Rock return for a seventh and final season of 13 or 14 episodes, per our sister site Deadline.

RELATED | Season Finale Spoilers: Scoop on 54 Big Finishes!

Last month, Rock‘s creator and star Tina Fey told the ladies of The View that the end was “visible on the horizon… We can’t do this for 35 years.”

Meanwhile, Deadline reports that Community and Parks and Recreation are also expected to be picked up for an abbreviated (and hopefully not final) fourth and fifth season, respectively.

1. lara says:

abbreviated?? That is literally…NOT COOL. NOT COOL.

• tripoli says:

Agreed, but it’s better than nothing at all.

• Carmichael says:

Yeah, abbreviated is uncool. Give us at LEAST 18

• Shaun says:

Networks usually do 13 eps,or the full 22+

• dude says:

However, they often pick up a show for 13 episodes with the option of extending to 22. One Tree Hill was literally never picked up for 22 episodes right off the bat but it always ended up with 22 or more. Just because it’s not given a full season order now, doesn’t mean it won’t be.

• Kalie says:

“30 Rock” is definitely at the end of its run, so it doesn’t bother me as much, but “Parks and Rec” and “Community” are fairly new. I do not like the idea of a shorter season of “Parks and Rec”! I look forward to it more than any of the other Thursday night comedies. What a bummer.

• KevyB says:

Totally agree! While I love 30 Rock, they seem like they’re starting to scrape the barrel. Another live episode (though way more clever than the first) and another Queen of Jordan (much less clever than the first). The Kenneth plots haven’t worked out too well, though the addition of Kristen Schaal has been a plus. And Tracy and Jenna have done it all so they’re far less shocking this far along in the series. Still good, but it doesn’t need to go all Simpsons on us.

• Ari says:

WHY? Parks & Rec? SERIOUSLY NBC? I feel light headed. Parks & Rec is the best they’ve got and they are going to do this to them? WHY?!

• Mary Beth says:

Agreed, but with Chevy Chase rants about the show and producer last month we just might see Pierce killed off or graduating that is if Chevy gets fired or quits Community.

• Philipp says:

I have never liked the character of Pierce. There are episodes in which certain characters just stand out but never Pierce. Jeff is a solid character, Britta has been one of the funniest parts of the show this season, Annie has had her moments, so did Shirley and the awesomeness that is Troy and Abed goes without saying.

2. Anna says:

I’d rather have abbreviated seasons than see any of them canceled.

• Me too, but I’m confused as to why just about all the shows they are renewing are for abbreviated seasons. They must really be banking on some new shows to take off or something, which seems a little optimistic given the performances from the new shows this past year. o_O

• Meg says:

With the way the TV landscape calendar is right now, I’d rather have an abbreviated season if it means they show all the episodes consecutively instead of two weeks of new episodes, then three weeks of reruns, two weeks of new episodes, three weeks of reruns, etc., like on the cable channels. Abbreviated seasons–at least where USA, TNT, and HBO are concerned–do often indicate better-quality plot and character development (but such is also subjective).

• Dizzle says:

They could easily order more episodes of Community and Parks & Recreation if they need to, Happy Endings only had a 13 episode order for this season originally but ABC extended it, it’s not uncommon.

3. K says:

An abbreviated fourth for Community? What happened to #sixseasonsandamovie?

4. Gus says:

Three of the best shows on TV. If an “abbreviated season” means no more of them, I’ll be sad to see them end – I think 30 Rock has had an amazing run, 6 seasons is not for everyone. Parks and Rec and Community, however, could use at least 2 more years.
    Anyway, I’m sure wherever the cast of these amazing shows end up, they’ll keep doing great comedy. :)

• Tarc says:

It’s so interesting what people watch. I wouldn’t watch any of these three shows if you paid me, and I’d say Fringe is the best show on TV (hands down). They aren’t even vaguelly amusing. YMMV, I guess.

5. Claire says:

Abbreviated, but the final part is only for 30 rock, right ? Right ?

6. Tiffany says:

I’m torn between “But I need MORE Community in a season, not less!” and “Some is better than none.” I guess I’ll go with the latter, but it’ll hurt to have a shortened season.

7. bad kevin says:

30 Rock deserve to have a seventh and final season if NBC accepted it and they better renew both Community & Parks and Recreation as well.

8. David says:

I don’t quite understand. 30 Rock, yes, but SHORTENED Parks and Recreation and Community?!

• Ari says:

It’s the Parks & Rec shortening that gets me. P& R has been gaining steam getting some awards recognition, etc. etc. The real question, is The Office getting picked up? Has it already been picked up? Of all the comedies that NBC has on Thursday, The Office is the one they should put down first. It still has sporadically good episodes but it’s not like Parks & Rec which has produced some of the most consistently funny television on any network. Honest to goodness the third season was practically perfect and this season has been exceptional as well. NBC, get your head out of your…well you know.

9. drew says:

Agreed, very uncool. I don’t know why they wouldn’t renew both for regular seasons if the cast and creative teams are up for it. It’s not like NBC has any other good comedies..

• Carmichael says:

But they think they do

• Nick says:

Yeah, they have that retarded Dwight show coming out with the idiot from the Office. Sure that will be an instant hit…

Not to mention they’ll probably give those crap fests Whitney and Up All Night full seasons, but not any of their good shows.

10. Alex says:

Makes sense since NBC has already picked up a few new comedy series to do things in 13 episode waves, much like Fox did with it’s crazy Monday shuffle this year.

11. Angela says:

Abbreviated…yeah, kind of a downer.

However, ultimately, just having “Community” back at all will certainly be enough to make me happy. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

12. John Berggren says:

Community deserves a full 22 episode final season.

• John Berggren says:

… Unless they do a 13 episode 4th and 5th with each being a semester.

• Robert Frye says:

Community, 30 Rock and Parks and Rec deserved to be cancelled. You are lucky that they are being given a shortened season. Their ratings are a disgrace.

13. Not cool NBC. Not cool at all.
    Let’s just hope that these three new seasons come in and *suck* so our favorite shows get kept on for whole seasons…maybe we will get lucky.

I can’t imagine season 4 being the last of Community…

14. Ann says:

Let’s be frank here. Community and 30 Rock have been getting horrid ratings (1.3-1.5), so as much as you love the shows, they do not deserve full seasons, nor should one expect it. But cutting Parks and Recreation is not right. Parks is NBC 2nd highest rated comedy and has been performing the most consistently. Parks deserves a full season.

• John Berggren says:

Let’s be frank. There is a minuscule delta between ratings for Community and Parks and Rec. Dont denigrate someone else’s favorite show in favor of yours.

• Steven says:

Actually Parks and Rec had a 1.7 on Thursday compared to Community’s 1.4. It may seem like a little, but it means a world of difference. Community is only being brought back for syndication, while Parks and Rec is being brought back because the ratings indicate it deserves it.

• Pall says:

It’s because of the stupid timing. I think that the only reason why Community doesn’t get better ratings is because of TBBT (which in my opinion is not as good as it used to be). If Community was in P&R’s spot I’m sure they would be doing just as well if not even better.

• tripoli says:

Agreed. I like both shows but find myself a bit disappointed in Big Bang lately. It’s now an easy decision as to which show to watch live. Community is just bringing the funny a lot more.

• amy says:

If Community was in Parks and Rec’s spot, it probably would be doing as well as P&R, may be a little better.

• sadfda says:

dude it is a discussion on tv shows, pretty much every single comment is someone favoring their favorite

15. Kip Reed says:

I guess I would just prefer something that has a definitive end. I don’t want to see 12 seasons of community. Get in, tell the story, tell some side stories, and then get out on your own terms.

16. Amy says:

I don’t understand what they think they have to gain from abbreviated seasons–it’s not like they have anything else on that network worth watching (and judging historically, probably won’t for a while).

17. I hate this stupid abbreviated season crap! why can’t they just do a classic community/parks&rec/office/30rock 2 hr time slot for a whole season & leave it alone!? those 4 shows at the best & they need to stop messing with them! UGH!

• rubytu says:

I totally agree with you. They’re great shows, real comedy, funny stuff. I’m so glad NBC has them and has stood behind them. For the life of me, I could never figure out why they’re not the top rated shows. They’re so damn funny.

18. This all makes sense when you remember NBC is the network that gave “Whitney” a green light and picked it up for an entire season. Also, “Outsourced” got the green light too.

19. Dan says:

Umm… what is an abbreviated season?

20. TV Gord says:

I think 13 episodes will be the norm for scripted television before too long, especially with anemic ratings everyone seems to have these days.

21. MariaPompeo says:

We got our wish of 4 seasons…so I guess I’m happy??? :s No I AM!

4 seasons and a graduation!!!!

22. Eric says:

I’d kinda prefer that Community comes back for a full season but for it to be the last. Still cool that it can last this long.

23. Michael says:

I love Community, but the shows needs to be four seasons and done…Dan Harmon has talked about how the show can go beyond, but look at the episodes that center around them outside of school…not as good as the school based, Dean Pelton and supporting cast visited ones…gives them a 22 ep send off where Jeff has his seat for one at Morty’s steakhouse where he can celebrate becominga lawyer again like he said at the end of season 1.

24. Dani says:

Typical of NBC to ‘abbreviate’ the best shoes that they have! Yes, better some than none but stop putting crappy on and give us FULL seasons of the BEST shows!!!

25. Davey says:

Most of these new NBC comedies will tank. Look at their track record.

26. Natalie says:

NBC has a hard time getting just about ANY show off the ground so why they think they’re suddenly going to have a hit that will beat ABC/Shonda Rhimes (who beats them from 9-11 every Thursday) is beyond me.

News flash NBC you’re not the #1 network and you haven’t thought or acted like it in a long freaking time. Invest in the shows that actually work. I’m a huge fan of 30 Rock but I’m okay w/next year being its last season. As for Community and Parks and Rec there’s PLENTY of life left in them.

27. Barbie says:

If community and parks and recreation were given full 22 episode orders, then they would be eligible for syndication. Why NBC wouldn’t want that us beyond me.

• minalba says:

That was my thought as well. A 13 episode order would fall short of the 88 episodes needed for syndication. At this point, it seems to me it would make more economic sense to give them the full season to lock up syndication. And I’m not sure how this would affect the deal with Comedy Central. Are they really willing take less than the minimum?

28. Chris says:

Wow. NBC is giving the short-hand to 3 of their hit shows?? Someone over there must be reallllllllly drunk, but I do think 30 Rock should end, but not with a short 13 episodes

29. Alternate Peter says:

The main reason NBC is “abbreviating” the episode orders is because of all the new comedies they are ordering to series. They all better be really good, or I’m gonna be pissed that NBC has yet again screwed themselves and the viewers by picking what could be bad comedies.

30. Amy says:

I understand 30 Rock, it has a few more seasons than Community and Parks, but why are THEY get abbreviated seasons?! dafuq?!

31. Truth says:

NBC really is determined to shoot themselves in the foot here. If it weren’t so frustrating it would be comical.

30 Rock, I understand. It has had a great run and it is better to bow out gracefully than go on for too long. It would be nice to get a full final season, but I get it. But Parks is the highest rated comedy on NBC after The Office and a critical darling. And Community is a fan favorite. Granted they both get abysmal ratings compared to other networks, but none of NBC’s other comedies are doing well either. The whole network is struggling.

So in what world does it make sense to screw over the only comedies that are actually performing well in order to take a chance on a few new comedies that most likely will, if NBC’s track record is anything to go by, fail?

Whatever they’re doing over there is clearly not working. So the obvious solution is to piss off the few viewers they do have until they’re left with none. That way they can start from scratch. Business 101, brought to you by the National Broadcasting Company.

32. paul says:

What is sad, 30 rock, community, and parks and rec are their best comedies, they are only giving them abbreviated pickups but the sad part is that they will probably order a full season of The Office, which should have been canceled a long time ago. What a joke!

33. Jay says:

Some of the comments here are so ignorant. 30 Rock and Community get dreadful viewing figures. It doesn’t matter if you think they’re the best shows on TV (and I agree, they are) the network can’t keep them around with those numbers. To be honest, I’d much prefer 30 Rock to have an end date agreed between the network and the creatives, so they can resolve it properly.

As for Community, I expect they’ll order 17 episodes next season to get it to the syndication 88, or they’ll add episodes if they don’t plan to renew for season 5. Parks is better-rated in the demo, so it has the best shot at going longer, but I suspect that it too will meet its end next year, again, with enough episodes for syndication. NBC won’t pass up the chance to get them syndicated when they’re this close.

Anyway, this news isn’t confirmed yet, it’s still a bit hearsay for my liking.

• Kerry says:

Leonard likes this post.

• Lisa says:

Everyone here acknowledges that the shows don’t get great ratings, especially when compared to other shows on other networks. The point is that they’re the best NBC’s got right now. They’re not doing themselves or us any favors when they keep shoving them aside for new shows that wind up getting cancelled after less than a season.

34. Mat Utsch says:

why has no one mentioned the fact that community in any other time slot would make it the highest rated nbc comedy!

• Kerry says:

Because who’s to say that it would? Trust me, I love Community just as much as you do, but it’s gone against TBBT reruns and still only scored above a 2.0 once this season. I don’t get this outcry of discontent. We all said we wanted a fourth season – and now we’re hearing that anything less than 22 episodes is unacceptable?

I just want a fourth season. That’s actually good enough for me, and I’d be grateful to NBC if they could give us that, in whatever form.

• Mike says:

Don’t be grateful to them. They want you to beg for crumbs. Cable companies do NOT know how to run a TV station much less a network. Anybody ever watch News12 from Cablevison here in the NY Metro area? And they own a major newspaper Newsday? And the Knicks, and the Rangers? Will you EVER hear a bad story about the Knicks and Rangers on News12 or Newsday?

35. pawan says:

2 years ago chuck was only ordered for 13 eps. But after a few weeks after it started they ordered 11 eps. =24 eps. maybe Community will too.

36. Leah says:

What the heck is wrong with NBC? Why do they seem determined to destroy the only good shows they have?

37. ThereasonsY says:

Can NBC even afford to lose these series? Why play the game, give them the full season pick up and focus on making sure your pilots are great rather than just good. Why is the network in last place? Because it is full of shows that should never have gotten through pilot season. I mean seriously Whitney, Playboy Club, Are you There? No, NBC, we aren’t there.

38. Mike says:

Comcast bought them. A cable company. What do you expect? When the delivery system owns the product creation they figure they’re the king of the universe and can do no wrong. CBS seems to be the network which sticks with its shows (except for Rules of Engagement). ABC is a somewhat shaky 2nd. Fox and NBC are tied for the most fickle. Put ANY old crap on, declare it a hit after 1 episode and when it tanks make it disappear.Or show it in August on Saturday night. Hey, here’s an idea. If American Idol is the greatest thing since sliced bread run it on FRIDAY instead of chewing up Mon-Thu nights.

• Mike says:

Oh yeah, and Dancing With the “Stars” on Friday. Let’s see who’ll watch it if it’s so great

39. YowzaPowza says:

Any news on Parenthood? Fingers crossed that gets a renewal, soon.

40. Jeffrey McGraw says:

I understand then need for as much of your beloved show as possible. However, might I suggest that the British model for series television be considered. With a usual 22 episodes per season, the writers are required to be brilliant for the better part of 5 months. Yet, a 13 episode set like FX’s JUSTIFIED, USA’S BURN NOTICE, and THE GLADES allows for entertainment, growth and not killing the golden goose before it runs out of ideas.

A further note, it allows for more shows to get on the air. If LAW & ORDER had used one time slot and rotated each installment through with X number of episodes, the mother ship might still be on as would Goren and Eames. You could always augment them with the occassional TV movie where all three series are blended like one case.

Put NCIS on for a full 22, no reruns, then run 13-16 episodes of NCIS: LA until the fall. Again no reruns. If people want to see reruns of ones they’ve missed let them get them off iTunes. Augmented revenue stream.

In any case, 13 episodes seems a good compromise. Now waiting for summer premiere of BURN NOTICE and SHERLOCK2 ep. 2.

41. Michael says:

They need to renew Community, it is simply the best and smartest show on TV right now. They really need to fix how ratings are done. Young people simply do not watch TV when its actually on anymore and Community’s fans are generally young people.

42. Jay says:

If you look at modern day single-camera comedies on NBC with longer runs…

-My Name is Earl was cancelled on a cliffhanger after season 4. And it was their first single-cam hit!
    -Scrubs was shipped to another network, given a proper series finale – and ruined with a season 9.
    -The Office should have gotten a graceful exit when Carrell left. And now that it’s continuing, it’s still funny, just not as classic or enjoyable. And viewers are exiting in mass.

So one can home that Community, 30 Rock, and Parks and Recreation can all get PROPER series finales. Not too early. Not too late.

Granted -this entirely ignores the ratings. If it were up to ratings, no comedy on NBC would deserve it. But hopefully they get some semblance or resolution, deserved or not.

43. YowzaPowza says:

What exactly does abbreviated even constitute? That could be anywhere from 13-18 episodes. I have no problem with 18 episode seasons of Parks and Rec or Community. Because honestly, aren’t there are at least four episodes per season that aren’t so great anyway? And if they’re cut down to thirteen or something, so what? It’l make room for more new shows, which is really what NBC needs right now, and it’ll be no different from all our favorite cable shows that don’t really have any filler. As long as Parks and Rec isn’t done after this season, and continues getting season pickups (at least six or seven will suffice) at at least 13 episodes per season, I’ll be happy.

44. Sarabi says:

NOOOOO, I don’t want these shows to end!

45. JDHetherington says:

Does nobody remember that in Community Jeff refers to a dinner reservation he’s made for himself the day he get’s his Law Degree back in Season 1. It was for May, 2013. Meaning that Jeff is only SUPPOSED to be at Greendale for 4 years, they literally ended Season 1 saying that it was going to happen. As for 30 Rock, When Alec Baldwin signed on for Season 7 only, that was a pretty big red flag for it’s potential final season coming up, since most actors resign with several years on their contract. I’m ok with 30 Rock and Community ending next season…..provided 30 Rock goes out with a good series finale, and Community’s loose ends (and Chevy Chase as Pierce) are all back and tied up. (I know nobody likes him, but adding a new member to the study group and writing him out will probably do more harm then good. and may damage syndication chances if they have such a big and noticable cast change right before the end)

46. Polly says:

SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE!!!!!!!!!

47. Britta Unfiltered says:

This is perplexing news. Three of their most established, highest-rated comedies, and they’re getting “abbreviated” seasons? What crap are they planning on airing the rest of the year? Why would their two freshest, smartest shows get shortened seasons while The Office, which is quite long in the tooth, is looking good for a full season pick up? If they end up giving half seasons to Parks and Rec and Community while giving full seasons to Whitney and Chelsea, I WILL become needlessly defiant.

48. Jo says:

I’m a little worried. I know NBC is in big trouble with ratings, but they have some great shows. I’d hate to see them go the CBS route and crank out mindless garbage for the slack-jawed masses.

49. noa says:

i don’t get it. whatever NBC can find to put in its schedule on the weeks when Parks and Rec and Community aren’t on won’t be as good and it’s not like the ratings will be better either. so why? why?!