Finale Post Mortem: Castle Boss Says What Comes Next Is Tough, 'But It'll Be Fun Tough'

Get More: Finales, Recaps, Spoilers

Warning: The following contains major spoilers from the Season 4 finale of ABC’s Castle. If you have not yet watched, turn away now. All others, proceed….

On Monday night in the Season 4 finale of Castle, all secrets were shared and all cards were put out on the table, as promised. But where did it all lead?

Working the murder of an Army vet, Beckett & Co. came to discover through DNA evidence that the shooter was the same guy who put a bullet in Kate’s heart a year ago — and thus he figures into the larger, deadly conspiracy surrounding Johanna Beckett’s years-ago killing.

RELATED | May 2012 Sweeps Scorecard: Deaths, Weddings, Pregnancies, Sex, Graduations and More!

But for Kate to rattle that hornet’s nest again would certainly lead to her own demise — a fact that Rick has known but kept to himself. And in the finale, he made clear to Kate exactly why she needed to back away from this case.

Beckett was less than understanding. “I didn’t need protection; I needed a lead, and you sat on it for a year…. How the hell could you do this?!”

“Because I love you. But you already know that, don’t you,” Rick said, alluding to his Season 3 finale declaration which Kate has pretended to not remember.

They agreed to disagree, and Kate stayed on the case while Rick disclosed his intention to exit stage left, once and for all. But after a brutal rooftop throwdown with the shooter (played by Battlestar Galactica alum Tahmoh Penikett) — and backlash from Capt. Gates which led Beckett to not just turn in her badge, as Esposito did, but tender her resignation — a rain-soaked Kate showed up at Rick’s door to say three words again and again: “I’m so sorry.”

“He got away, and I didn’t care,” she explained. “I almost died, and all I could think about was you. I just want you.”

RELATED | Season Finale Spoilers: Scoop on 54 Big Finishes!

And like that, one of TV’s biggest Will They/Won’t They couples fell into each other’s arms, and then (from all indications) into Rick’s bed. And not a moment too soon.

“In terms of storytelling, we felt like we were dangerously close to trying the audience’s patience – and we were starting to get impatient ourselves. We want to move on to new territory,” series creator Andrew W. Marlowe tells TVLine. “We feel like we wrung everything out of them not being in a relationship, so it’s time to put them in a relationship and in more, different fun.”

Fun however does not necessarily mean easy. “Relationships are tough, especially when the two people are fundamentally different people,” the show boss notes. “But I think it’s going to be fun tough – like when Sam and Diane got together on Cheers.”

Marlowe reports that the timing of the sexy new wrinkle “felt right” to not just him and his writing team but both of Castle‘s leads, Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic. “To not have done it now would have betrayed our covenant with the audience,” he states. “We’ve asked them to invest, and we would not be good storytellers if we did not pay off that investment.”

So, Castle fans: Happy? (And did you really have any doubt?)

Tags: ,

Comments (314)

• That was awesome!

Comment by leigh – May 7, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loved it seriously hot too!!! Nice job everyone!!! I clapped and had tears in my eyes watxhing it over and over again. Definitely staying on the Dvr…. Yay caskett!!!

Comment by sparky – May 7, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, nice job to the whole crew. Rob Bowman is one of the best directors on TV. And Marlowe, one of the coolest show bosses too. He’s accessible, kind, fun and truly thankful to his fans, and he doesn’t just say he’s thankful, he shows it. Marlowe=awesome.

Comment by @sparky – May 7, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Killer says he’ll put her in the ground and your going with casket haha

Comment by anom – May 8, 2012 04:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Um…maybe we should start saying ‘Beckle’ instead of ‘Caskett’?

Comment by Hope – May 8, 2012 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nahh…”Caskett” just means ’till death does them part” haha

Comment by Allyson – May 8, 2012 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ditto,dude

Comment by sammy – June 23, 2012 03:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Indeed! But Beckett being all soaked and wet before going to Castle’s apartment was totally unnecesary. I mean, of all clichés to choose from!

Besides that teeny tiny not-so-important thing, this finale was EVERYTHING we’ve been waiting for!

Where’s the fast-forward button? I cannot wait for September to come!

Comment by martina – May 7, 2012 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A soaking wet Beckett just added hotness to the whole scene ;)

Comment by Always is always – May 7, 2012 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Totally agree..

Comment by melissa – May 7, 2012 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • it was a fantastic throwback to when she and Castle talk about her wall at the playground though!

Comment by cynicalismylife – May 7, 2012 11:26 PM PDT
        • Exactly. She’s never looked better.

Comment by Jim Sullivan – May 8, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Water is the symbol of Baptism – a new life; a new beginning. Kate Beckett was cleansed of her old emotionally constipated life. She has been reborn to a new, and hopefully, loving relationship with Rick Castle that will color her outlook on life. Cliched maybe, but Marlowe uses lots of subtext.

Comment by Maureen A. – May 7, 2012 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That is brilliantly said!

Comment by Lindsay Jordan – May 8, 2012 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • OMG. So deep! :O
          I love this fandom.

Comment by A – May 8, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree….It depicted her being soaked in her new found knowlegde about herself…her wall being completely washed away…she was reborn after 13 years of dying each moment…

Comment by Shubhra Sarkar – May 8, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • THIS!

Comment by Ashley – May 8, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nice :)

Comment by Heather – May 8, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the rain soaked Beckett is a nod to one of the Nikki Heat books, too.

Comment by Amy – May 8, 2012 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Awesome finale. Loved it so much. I just hope it doesn’t go downhill now they are at that point. That voiceover at the end had me in tears almost. Amazing season and onwards and upwards to season 5

Comment by greysfan – May 8, 2012 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well…they didn’t mess with us. :) Fantastic finale. Well done!

Comment by Kim R – May 8, 2012 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A well done finale, although I could have done with a little less “Godfather” backlighting. A little bit is effective. Too much makes you wonder why no one ever turns on a lamp.

Comment by Mencken – May 8, 2012 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i wish they would have showed them in bed other than that greatttttttttttt job

Comment by pam – May 10, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was a fitting finale after the constant build-up throughout the season. The voiceover of Alexis in the final moments was very poignant.

Comment by Lambsilencer – May 7, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very very very happy!

Comment by Luu – May 7, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a Castle fan, I can DEFINITELY say I was happy with the episode! Congrats to Terri and Andrew for writing an excellent ep.

Comment by Tracey – May 7, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SQQQQQQQQQQQQQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. from the opening “would you like to join me?” “I’d love to!” to the end hand clasp, i was squeeing like a fangirl. YAY!

Comment by Betsy – May 7, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well done, Mr. Marlowe. Great way to get these two together :) Can’t wait to see what next season will bring!

Comment by Alyssa – May 7, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Tracy – May 7, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mad, mad props to Mr. Andrew Marlowe. That was a brilliant and creative way for those two to finally get together. Is it September yet?

Comment by Garnet_and_Gold47 – May 7, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely happy, but also waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Comment by heidimercedes – May 7, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed.

Comment by MA – May 7, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • me too. i keep thinking that they’re going to pull a Dallas and have it all be a dream.

Comment by nyangel22 – May 7, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • that would be cruel

Comment by Christ – May 7, 2012 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really, even after reading what Marlowe just said about not wanting to overly try the audience’s patience? They’re not breaking up anytime soon, the question is will they give us a bantering flirty fun Caskett, or will it soon be drowned in angst filled plots.

But I keep the faith, Marlowe has provided us this amazing show that has culminated in this amazing finale, so I’m willing to trust him and his vision.

Comment by Shae – May 8, 2012 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • blind item… it’s not a dream

Comment by Lei – May 8, 2012 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s not a dream. Aus confirmed the “couple having sex for the first time” BI was Caskett, and in the BI he said that it was definitely not a dream sequence.

Comment by Ashleah Whatserface – May 8, 2012 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Kic – May 7, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • giggity.

Comment by TJCrinc – May 7, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that everything we were promised happened! I know there are going to be those who complain about this episode but it was great!

Comment by leigh – May 7, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow what a great finale,

Comment by MikeF – May 7, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy does not even begin to describe. Ecstatic! Just…thank you Castle writers for not being afraid to hook up the leads before the last episode of the show.

Comment by Amanda – May 7, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quite pumped! Loved it, Mr. Marlowe! The summer will be long… but I will re-watch those last few moments (a few thousand times) to hold me over.

Comment by tlc19 – May 7, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bloody brilliant & beautiful! This ep is not leaving my DVR!!! Can’t wait for next season (please ABC)!!!!

Comment by Natalie – May 7, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was perfect. Absolutely everything was perfect(:

Comment by Jess Narr – May 7, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO HAPPY! I’M WATCHING THE KISS ON REPEAT! :D

Comment by Alison – May 7, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Andrew Marlowe is going to be charged with killing the Castle fanbase after that amazing finale!! My shipper heart is in heaven right now!!!

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – May 7, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVED this episode! Only thing missing for me was an “I love you” from Kate. I really wanted to hear her say that. Oh well, there’s plenty of time for that in season 5 :)

Comment by Melissa LaCour (@melissalacour) – May 7, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Extremely happy!! It was definitly worth the 4 years of waiting!

Comment by Larissa – May 7, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I happy? OMG of course :D It was the best tv series finale ever!!!

Comment by nimfka – May 7, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SEASON finale, please!!! Although if it had to end now, It would be a great ending.

Comment by RJ – May 7, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree…Best T series finale Ever Ever…Hats off to Marlowe for scripting this and Nathan n Stana to pull it off so Naturally…………

Comment by Shubhra Sarkar – May 8, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m with RJ… it was not a SERIES finale, it was a SEASON finale. Very important difference. Not that there’s any chance Castle won’t be coming back for more seasons, but still. No need to jinkx it.

Comment by gia – May 8, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Waited four years for this!! Wished it lasted longer but I’ll take it. Stana was amazing. Those lines could have come off corny but she nailed it!! Holy cow!! What an ending!!

Comment by Castle lover – May 7, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally! Noooooow, will you confirm that they were he blind item!?!?!

Comment by Jaime – May 7, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Aus confirmed that they were indeed the Blind Item

Comment by marybrownell – May 8, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES. Finally.

Comment by KMC – May 7, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy-ish. I guess I should know better than to hope for a happy ending. I just have this terrible feeling that Castle’s family is going to be dragged into it all now. But at this point I guess the only plotline is to resolve the whole “creepy syndicate wants to kill Kate” storyline. How long will that go on? Is Beckett going to go back to the NYPD? If not, what the hell is it going to be – the couple on the run?

Lots of questions, one big answer.

Comment by Jake – May 7, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t forget that they still need to revisit the Triple? Killer.

Comment by April (@Dargamogirl) – May 7, 2012 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, and with Pan Am likely being gone, Michael Mosely can reprise his role.

Comment by Kathy – May 8, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Beckett goes to law school and becomes the DA !! And, together, they solve her mother’s murder by feeding info to Espo and Ryan.

Comment by Bev – May 7, 2012 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree, so many questions. what about Espo and Ryan will they still be friends? I’m sure she’s gonna go back to the 12th precinct, my questions is Gates gonna be the one to bring her back, or the mayor, or maybe a new captain? while i think the character is a little weak Penny Johnson is a Fabulous actress and would love to see her back. I think your right about castles family getting involved, my guess is that will be a theme next season, maybe with Castles father coming into the picture :)

Comment by James – May 8, 2012 04:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love Penny Johnson, but I hate the character of Captain Gates. Roy Montgomery had us all spoiled.

Comment by Kathy – May 8, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think the only thing that bothers me about the show right now is that they aren’t giving Penny Johnson anything to work with here. No character development, very few good lines, no richness, nothing. I sincerely hope for some character development this coming season! Otherwise why put such a powerful actress in the role, but to use her to the best of her abilities!

Comment by Meri – May 10, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’ll pull Kate back in in the premiere. It’s still a procedural after all.

And re: bringing the drama, don’t forget that there was a major breakup tonight, too: the beautiful bromance of Ryan and Esposito is now on the rocks!

Comment by John – May 8, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HAPPIEST PERSON ON EARTH right now! Thank you, Mr. Marlowe!

Comment by Nina – May 7, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really into it, right up to the very last scene. Quit beating the dead horse. Let Beckett’s mom’s case go for a while. I’m actually getting really tired of it. Which is saying something, because I freaking love this show.

Comment by lariet50 – May 7, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree on Johanna’s murder. It’s so convoluted now, that I can’t even keep everything straight. The sooner that gets wrapped up for good, the better!

Comment by Michelle – May 7, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t know if it will ever be resolved. Or if it’ll be the show’s ‘quest’ the way Mulder’s search for his sister was X-Files’ mythos and underlying arc.

Comment by Jen (@jlo1013) – May 7, 2012 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think the Joanna Beckett case is just a storytelling instrument to push the character. Don’t expect for it to be ever solved anytime soon. Each and every time the case has been brought up, it brings Castle and Beckett closer. In season one, Castle was intrigued by Beckett and her backstory. In season two, he was willing to throw $100k out the window just to have a chance to lure the killer out. And it made Beckett to realize that she wants him to be there (“I’ve gotten used of you pulling my pigtails.”) Season 3, well, the cover kiss and introduced us the whole new meaning of “always.” And now here? Come on. ;)

Plus, think of it this way. If her mom wasn’t dead, Beckett wouldn’t have join the police force. Therefore, she and Castle would have never cross paths!! And the world would be a little sad because there would be no Caskett.

Comment by Always is always – May 7, 2012 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah, it’s also a storytelling device, but it’s first and foremost a mystery. You can’t put it into a police procedural and not have fans annoyed that it never goes anywhere. X-Files lost its fans when it became clear that even the writers didn’t know where they were going… that they were just teasing the fans with hints and innuendo.

I don’t think even Marlowe knows who killed Beckett’s mom. If we think he doesn’t know, then we won’t care. And if they can’t come up with a good resolution, it’ll not only alienate the viewers, it’ll ruin the previous seasons for us. Remember “Who shot JR?”

A middle ground would be to have them “solve” the case early in Season 5, and then dance around with the problem of how they actually bring such a powerful guy to justice. Or arrest him, but now there’s a long trial ahead where the guy may or may not have bought off the judge.

Comment by Shipping Perlanie – May 8, 2012 05:25 AM PDT
          • Maybe for the season 5 she’ll be prégnant ;) i really like your storytelling it totally makes sense.
            It’s been 2 days since the final and i’m still thinking about it and listening to ” in my veins” repeatedly :) i’m definitely in love with this show … :)

Comment by Aude – May 9, 2012 07:08 PM PDT
    • Totally agree as well. Hell, on the Castle website he calls it a Ponzi Plot: where the writers keep upping and upping the ante. Then when they try to resolve it, audience expectations are so high there’s no way they WONT be disappointed.

On the other hand, there needs to be a meta-plot that ties a season together, at least in Castle. The two big meta-plots are Caskett and Beckett’s mom. If they wrap both at once then the show screeches to a halt. So they pay off Caskett, create a new story arc, and then close Beckett’s mom’s murder. Sounds like the new one is “Espo loses all his friends.” or “Who is Castle’s father?”

The big challenge is that with Beckett’s mom, it’s already so big that any reveal will be a letdown. Seriously, how big a villain could they find who could have believably done all that?

The rumor is that there will be a Season 5, and will be the last one. So they have time to wrap things up cleanly, but don’t have to invest in plots as big as these. A season of “The Thin Man” would be a dream. Castle’s always best at being a FUN show above all, and this season has had very little fun.

Comment by Shipping Perlanie – May 8, 2012 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Where are you getting that Season 5 is the last one? I have not seen that anywhere, and I follow spoiler sites pretty closely.

I disagree that Marlowe doesn’t know who the big bad is. He’s always had a basic plan for the series, and I would have to imagine that included who the big bad is. I don’t see the reveal as a guaranteed letdown at all.

Comment by Katherine215 – May 8, 2012 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There is no rumor that Season 5 will be the final season.Management

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 8, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thank you for clarifying, Matt. Almost got my second heart attack of the day after reading that (the first came from the ending of “Always”).

Comment by fan – May 8, 2012 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWESOME! FINALLY!!! The moment the whole fandom has been waiting for and it was such an epic scene! I loved the talk they had, all the cards out in the open. Castle calling Kate on her bs, because she kept secrets/lied to him just as well as he had. The whole episode was intense, traumatic and emotional, just like last season’s finale!

Comment by Phessal (@FaisalRahat) – May 7, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really happy. Not just because of them hooking up tho (and the way it was done) but also because of all the action and such, and the buildup. It was superbly done. I can’t wait for season 5, to see how they gonna catch mr-sniper-guy, especially what with Espo suspended and Beckett having resigned.

Comment by Symce – May 7, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best thing ever! Hoping it picks up the day after. I wan to know what happens with her resigning and the whole mr smith situation…. She still hasn’t said she loved him yet! ;)

Comment by Nikikole – May 7, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Best episode ever. I’m so in love with this show, even after 4 seasons. Tonights acting was flawless, Nathan and Stana blew it out of the water. Bring on season 5!! My pair finally got together!

Comment by Andrea – May 7, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC most certainly should renew! And the Emmys should finally take notice! Great acting, great writing. Not the usual prime time fluff!

Comment by Bev – May 7, 2012 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally and I would be utterly shocked if they didn’t renew, its ratings are still solid, and after the finale i’m sure the ratings are gona go through the roof. I thought Nathan really earned his stripes with this episode the emotion in his face when he divulged his secret was priceless he should totally get an emmy

Comment by James – May 8, 2012 04:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very nice..they did not go over the top with sex scenes, but the kissing and the wall pushing was just perfect..and now 4 more months to talk about for season 5 possible first scene..hmmm :)

Comment by tahina – May 7, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have read on other sites how some viewers wanted to see the actual deed done, but I completely agree it was perfect as is. This show is so sexy, and sexy has to do with attitude more than anything else. However, a scene of tenderness between the two waking up together, completely necessary.

Comment by G – May 8, 2012 03:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree x

Comment by Lorraine Cheek – May 8, 2012 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Kind of the same way with another great show, “Bones”. Everyone clamored to actually get them doing the deed on screen, but it was much better to just know what was possible and know that they got together.

I think it allows the show to stay classy, but still give the viewers what they want, which is the knowledge that the couple they wanted together got together.

Comment by misterbrain – May 9, 2012 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely!! They left it “emotional” and never crossed into “gratuitous.” I got a little worried when he went after her blouse, but they kept it in character — the pause over her scar kept it firmly there, showing he’s wanting to heal her heart all the way, not just drag her off to bed. And the hand holding made it clear they were equals making a mutual decision, not one of them going caveman (or cavewoman!!).

Comment by Meg – May 8, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the chemistry between these two amazing actors is phenomal!!! i loved everything about this episode. especially the ending!!!

Comment by jackie – May 7, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINALLY.

Comment by Michelle – May 7, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST. FINALE. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Mo – May 7, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto! Squeeee indeed!

Comment by Leola – May 7, 2012 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!!! It was amazing, beautiful and just perfect! I can’t wait for season 5!!! It’s going to be the longest summer ever!!!!

Comment by Caskett forever – May 7, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a fantastic, wonderful, amazing finale.

Comment by Tara – May 7, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I can say is Andrew Marlowe is definitely CLEVER! Gosh, the make out scene was enough but I definitely wanted MORE! Get that, ENOUGH but MORE! Oh snap, this indeed will be the longest summer CASTLE FANS will ever have!

Comment by ilongtoseeyourface – May 7, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Some people are going to complain (there always are) but overall, this finale got everything pretty much dead on and was IMHO loads better than last year’s finale!!!
    It was pretty obvious since Ausiello revealled his blind item that Rick and Kate would get it on by the finale, but the build-up through the hour all the way to the actual moment itself was a very satisfying ride. Season 5 is looking very promising!!!
    Well done Andrew Marlowe. Well done.

Comment by JBS – May 7, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Commenting from my grave. That was the most awesome episode ever. Caskett finally happening

Comment by Amber – May 7, 2012 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am ABSOLUTELY elated! This finale….I can’t even begin to describe how satisfying it was. This is a show that knows what the viewers want and isn’t afraid to deliver!

Comment by Courtney – May 7, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show gives us what we want because the characters are compelling, well acted, and the actions are consistent with their emotions/personalities. The arch of the relationship worked out organically; the writers were true to their characters, and that is why giving us what we wanted wasn’t a gift, but just necessary to the narrative. Kudos.

Comment by G – May 8, 2012 03:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ABSOLUTELY. A lot of the time, when fans complain about writers not “giving them what they want”, they’re asking the writers to force their characters to behave our of character, and at the right time. The reason this feels so satisfying is because, as you said, it was organic. It is rare that I feel so totally contented with the set up and payoff of a full season, practically salivating for the next episode. Sigh. This will be a long summer.

Comment by Ella – May 8, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!!!! Such a happy and ecstatic Castle fan right now!!!! Such an intense episode!! And that scene where Rick confesses to Kate his love while he’s sure she’s conscious (lol) loooovvvveeeddd it!! But what this fan since the beginning loved the most was finally seeing all those sparks and chemistry catch fire in that passionate scene!! Already counting the days until the season five premier!! :)

Comment by Kat – May 7, 2012 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I currently don’t know what coherent thoughts are. But I LOVED IT. I just have no words.

Comment by Allyson – May 7, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • happy, heck to the yes! My one and only critique,,,was alexis’ speech a downer or what? touching yes…but as high school speeches go, i’d want to cut my wrists if I were a fellow student. Geesh!

Comment by LMP17 – May 7, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What? I thought it was perfect!

Comment by Youmna – May 9, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perfect! So well done….gives us what we want but leaves enough dangling for next season-her resignation, the bad guys coming for her and also the friction left between Esposito and Ryan.

Comment by wmcc520 – May 7, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since they finally resolved the Castle/Beckett relationship, they had to pass all that tension on to the other “couple”, Ryan/Esposito. So, should they be listed in the “break ups” on the finale score sheet?

Comment by Mo – May 7, 2012 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone feel like the Caskett scene was the actual cliffhanger?!
    The cliffhanger before the actual cliffhanger
    but all I can say is that I woke up my parents :D so yeah I am definetely happy

Comment by laura – May 7, 2012 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love the epi wondering where it is going next season… September is much too far away

Comment by mdb – May 7, 2012 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so. so. so. amazing

Comment by EmmaLeeLove – May 7, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am happy should we pick up excatly where we left off in September. “From all indications” is not good enough. I really hope that things don’t happen off screen.

Comment by Aimee – May 7, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh god I completely agree, I want to see the relationship develop, not just fast forward to them being in a relationship, but actually allowing them to discover all the little quirks they could only find out by being a couple. I also want to say the ending was just prefect

Comment by thecasey – May 8, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Read an interview with the Mighty Marlowe that he wants to pick up pretty much the morning after with them in bed. He says he knows fan want to see what that looks like, and he says he wants to show that. This is why we love him.

Comment by becca – May 8, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If season 5 starts like three months later or something I will actually hurt someone.

BUT I highly, highly, highly doubt they will. Mainly, from a narrative standpoint, the Espo/Ryan thing needs to be addressed, but everyone (Marlowe) knows that we need to see that morning after ;D

Comment by Tallulah Alice Mae (@Luvagoo) – May 9, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMFG that was so great flu am just lossing it thanking for not going the “Bones” route and take forever to show love .Thank you Castle writers for not going the ” Moonlight”bull crap I was worry this season but you did me proud I will be buying season 4 on DVD after all

Comment by Mishka Barnard – May 7, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was what I was expecting and more, one of the best episodes of Castle

Comment by JAA – May 7, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree best episode ever….

Comment by Jo – May 7, 2012 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post