Fall TV Scoop: NBC Picks Up Comedies 1600 Penn and Animal Practice to Series

1600 Penn TV Show NBC 2012NBC has picked up two more comedies for fall, the ensemble White House farce 1600 Penn and the Justin Kirk-fronted workplace comedy Animal Practice.

The Washington D.C.-set 1600 Penn centers on a dysfunctional first family and stars Bill Pullman, Jenna Elfman and Josh Gad. Animal Practice, meanwhile, finds Kirk playing Dr. George Coleman, a House-like veterinarian who loves animals but usually hates their owners.

RELATED | NBC Eyes Shortened Seasons of Community, Parks and Rec and 30 Rock

Animal Practice NBC Fall 2012That brings to seven the number of new shows NBC has already ordered for fall, joining previously greenlit comedies Save Me (starring Anne Heche), Go On (starring Matthew Perry) and The New Normal, as well as serial thriller Revolution from J.J. Abrams and Eric Kripke and Bryan Fuller’s Hannibal.

NBC will formally unveil its fall schedule to advertisers next Monday.

1. kyle says:

Ok so 5 new comedies, Community, Parks and Rec, and 30 Rock. Plus The Office thats 9 Comedies for next season.

2. A says:

Predicting most of these new comedies to get cancelled anyway

3. bad kevin says:

NBC still hoping to pick up County as a series.

4. ggny says:

Animal Practice sounds like one of them midseason replacements that gets burned off in 3 weeks

• chatulim says:

I’m inclined to agree. In my experience, veterinarians who dislike the paying clientele (animal owners) don’t stay in business very long. So unless this is a comedy based on how a highly-trained professional can’t keep a job….

5. therandomfiles says:

this is making me nervous for the fate of community. as of now it sounds like it’s safe, but you never know.

6. Ken says:

Really NBC?, 1600 Penn looks Good…but white dr.dolittle has to go!

NBC will be sh!t without Community & Parks In the fall

And i will be really sad if Whitney gets axed, for Up All Night

• Lil Jo says:

OK Ken i just came to the realization you have horrib… err, I mean completely different taste in comedy from me.

If you take out the 1600 looks good and the “out” of “without”on the second line, then well both those shows should go on the third line. Then I think you’ve got something.

• max says:

You do know the original Dr. Dolittle is white right?

7. Colleen says:

So is there an over/under on Animal Practice lasting longer than Free Agents?

8. Robin says:

Parenthood??! Any news on Parenthood!!!

• Ari says:

I’ve read Parenthood is leaning toward a greenlight for a 4th season but it’s still unofficial. Who knows though, this is NBC who is planning to kill off three of it’s best comedies after next year.

9. joe says:

Book of Mormon taking over NBC!

10. Kitty says:

Both shows sound promising *shrug*

11. Todd Everett says:

House/doc Martin knockoff and West Wing/Veep knockoff — way to go, NBC!

12. I really hope the Sarah Silverman pilot is picked up but its looking doubtful now.

13. Josh says:

That promo image makes me not want to watch it haha…Seriously, that guy doesn’t look amusing. He looks like “Future Most Annoying Character of the TV Season”

14. Chris says:

Michael, does this mean that Justin Kirk is not returning to Weeds??

15. eddie says:

why does NBC continue to pick up a butt load of comedies every May when it knows it doesnt have any room? i swear half of these are gonna air in may/summer of 2013.

16. Brad says:

I’m looking forward to The New Normal. What is happening to Justin Kirk and Weeds? Maybe this upcoming season will be the final season of Weeds. Animal Practice doesn’t sound that great. I’m hoping that J.J. and Eric Kripke can make Revolution revolutionizing.

17. RENNY says:

i’m predicting cancellation for all these pick ups.mathew should have stayed with the good wife.i am afraid kripke/abrams revolution might end up like awake.NBC habit!!

18. darcyewilson says:

NBC has picked up the worst of their comedy pilots so far, except 1600 Penn. I understand The New Normal, I mean Ryan Murphy does have the Midas-ratings touch even if it’s all utter garbage, but there is no excuse for picking up Save Me and Animal Practice. Even the loglines for them are bad. So much for a turn of fortune this season, eh?

19. Keith says:

I won’t watch either of those shows.

20. Mary Beth says:

My thoughts on these shows

1600 Penn: Might last 2 seasons or maybe a 3rd season
    Animal Practice: A train wreck that will be canceled after a month

21. Natalie says:

I’ll watch ‘Animal Practice’ simply because Justin Kirk is the funniest thing to hit TV since, heck I don’t know when. He was the only reason I watched as many seasons of ‘Weeds’ as I did.

22. Forwarddad says:

The whole problem is the Nielsen viewers. They need to develop a better ratings systems then handpicked viewers who watch CSI, NCIS shows. They never watch Cable and cutting edge shows like Parks and Community.

23. Aidan Williams says:

This is so exciting i cant wait to see 1600 Penn and Go On.