TNT's Southland Cops a Season 5 Renewal

Get More: News, Renewals

Good news, Southland fans: It looks like the stories of Officer Ben Sherman’s professional free-fall and Det. Lydia Adams’ journey to juggle motherhood and case work won’t wind up as unsolved mysteries: TNT has renewed the gritty (oftentimes harrowing) L.A.-set police drama for a 10-episode fifth season.

“Season after season, critics and fans alike have championed TNT’s Southland as one of television’s best dramas. This year, the show has not only solidified its impassioned fan base, but also picked up some new young-adult devotees along the way,” Michael Wright, president and head of programming for TNT, TBS, said in a statement.

Southland this past season averaged more than 2.9 million total viewers when factoring in Live+7 DVR playback, while its delivery of Adults 18-49 grew three percent from Season 3.

Season 5 will premiere in February 2013.

Excited that there’s more Southland in your future? Ready to storm Emmy HQ with brickbats and torches if King and Hatosy don’t get nominations this year? Hit the comments and sound off!

Tags: ,

Comments (50)

• so my watching from day 1 is justified! Yayyyyyyyyyyyy

Comment by Curt – May 4, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • best show on tv. nbc was foolish for letting it go

Comment by pat – June 24, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic news!

Comment by common fig – May 4, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! Yes, yes, yes! This just made my day! I’m ecstatic!

Comment by DL – May 4, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news! this is the best scripted show on TV right now, in my opinion. It definitely deserves some Emmy love.

Comment by Beth Mack – May 4, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to hear it. And I had been worried when I saw that TNT had so much in development and was not bringing back many shows for additional seasons.

Comment by Nate – May 4, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is good news for sure. I wonder if NBC is sorry now for cancelling another good show that someone else has picked up?

Comment by Jahojo – May 4, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

One of the best dramas on tv for sure.

So happy it is coming back.

Comment by ninamags – May 4, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ME TOO. LOVE THIS SHOW. NEVER MISSED AN EPISODE

Comment by Louise Ross – September 10, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This show is without a doubt the best show on tv. It leaves me on the edge of my seat and most episodes I develope major sweating attacks. If it were to be cancelled I would lose faith in tv and Americans alike and give tv up. I would like 15 to 20 episodes for sure.

Comment by Nicky Viz – September 23, 2012 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course! It’s one of my favorite shows that not enough people watch!

Comment by Sarah – May 4, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news. I’ve watched this show from its first episode and was really happy when TNT picked it up. It’s so intense, though, that sometimes I DVR it and watch it the next day because for some reason, it makes me feel like I have more control over things that happen on the show. Ha!

Comment by Bella – May 4, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! :D This is such great news.

Comment by Christine S. – May 4, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now if they can do more than just 10 episodes next season all will be good. I don’t know how renewal wasn’t a given, but I guess they have to have the f’n numbers. It’s better than almost all pay cable channels series right now so maybe, if they don’t do a sixth on TNT, we’ll see it on HBO or Showtime? Anythings better than no-thing. I don’t even like cops but it doesn’t matter what they are, their characters are just about as real feeling as any show since “Breaking Bad”. Now that would be a show, Sammy out to get Jesse and Walt trying to loose Sherman in a foot race. Sadly Southland would win, but it would still be fun to watch. Now I guess it’s time to wait on the premier…

Comment by Jimmy James – May 4, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t like cops? You must have a few felonies under your belt. Let me guess, your innocent right?

Comment by Cws – September 17, 2012 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad it was renewed. I wish they would have said for how many eps and hopefully it’s for more than 10.

Comment by Keith – May 4, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 10 episodes. The post has been updated to include that.

Comment by Vlada Gelman – May 4, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to the return of Officers Ben and Sammy more than anything else. There’s bound to be major drama between those two when the show returns. With just ten episodes, i hope that the writers focus on Sammy/Ben

Comment by sheila – May 4, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent news! Best “cop show” on TV, period.

Comment by Saint Alicia – May 4, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched it since day one on NBC and fell in love with it immediately. Best cop show I have ever seen and one of the best dramas on TV right now. Thank you God, universe, and TNT for another season of this brilliant show.

Comment by CJ – May 4, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINALLY!!!!!!

Comment by gcem – May 4, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Southland is back for more and another season with ten episodes. Guess we’ll wait nine long months before the new season begins.

Comment by bad kevin – May 4, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regina King needs an Emmy.

Comment by topsyturvy – May 4, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The entire cast needs an Emmy. There’s not a single weak link among them. The only thing I didn’t like about season 4 was that the Sal and Russell didn’t make an appearnance.

Comment by Clay – May 4, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you are so correct, loved her in the shotgun shootout?

Comment by satch – May 14, 2012 03:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent! One of the best shows on the air!

Comment by Paulysj – May 4, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! I will miss John and Tang’s great chemistry but have no doubt that Michael Cudlitz will have great chemistry with the next one too. I hope they keep Regina’s partner…he is the first one I have liked!

Comment by Allie – May 4, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this season was some really good stories on the show. Any time I get a chance to watch this show it gets better every time. Glad that TNT is renewing another great season of the television drama “Southland”!!!

Comment by MEKISHA HALE – May 5, 2012 02:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I usually hate cop shows they are sanctimonious, or simplistic with their black and white view of the world… This show however has been super from the start. The acting is great portraying real people and gritty situations. Even when in an earlier season Sherman and Cooper show up at a house and a mother explains to her daughter that you dial 911 and the police come. That sort of scene can add unexpected humour. When tang and cooper arrive at a suicide on a railway line that really caught me off guard. It just really sells the idea these are real situations and people. Anyway looking forward to 2013 and watching the only show that can give me a cold sweat, keep up the tense excellent writing.

Comment by Steve D – May 5, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – May 6, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • together with The Closer, best cop show on air! Maybe it’s LA…..

Comment by J.D. – May 11, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show captures something that no other cop shows out there has ever done.

Comment by John smith – May 11, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so pleased the show has returned, best cop drama ever

Comment by satch – May 14, 2012 03:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • when does the uk get it?

Comment by satch – May 14, 2012 03:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best damn cop show on TV

Comment by Cheryl Fox – September 17, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agree agree agree love the closer and homeland also

Comment by satch – September 18, 2012 12:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i really love this show. i have watched it since it aired on tnt. the show has a great cast but i i have loved Regina King since forever. she is a great actress and i want to see more of her. Great job to the writers,producers and directors keep of the good work!!!

Comment by Quintina jones – November 6, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you cant base viewing figures via tv anymore, just look at the downloads from the internet this show gets.. that will give you a better view of how many people and where your audience is.
    For those of us that dont have access to cable, we get our fix from downloads.
    Great show, we are expecting to go season 20

Comment by hughdunit – November 8, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please keep the reruns showing i love th is show please never take it off the air. Keep reruns on

Comment by Max Miller – December 27, 2012 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reruns till new show comes on please

Comment by Max Miller – December 27, 2012 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Max Miller – December 27, 2012 01:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show!!! TNT SHOULD ORDER 90 episodes! We love this show in our home. I get excited every time the music on the intro starts, I I’ve that intro. Definitely one if the best shows on TV!

Comment by josh – January 7, 2013 01:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You just can’t say enough good things about this show, the writing, actors, and drama. Hopefully it will be like family guy, on the verge of cancellation then when enough people make noise and write to the network about it, it will become a huge success! HOPE TNT IS LISTENING.

Comment by josh – January 7, 2013 01:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!!!! I can not wait for Southland to start. I love this show amazing acting from all the cast and great writing. I agree NBC lost out by dropping the show but sooo happy TNT new the potential.

Comment by Charleen – January 30, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show and great cast. This show is so much better than all the other crap on. TNT is to be commended for keeping it going.

Comment by Rich – February 6, 2013 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree this is the best show on TV!!

Comment by Gary Arithson – April 25, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so glad to hear this I could almost cry. SUCH and excellent series. Only 10? I’ll take ‘em!

Comment by Curt – April 26, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m from the uk and so love southland. Please please please make some more. Never miss an episode. The best ever cop program. LOVE IT

Comment by Clendon ford – April 28, 2013 01:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any news when Season 5 will air in the UK?

Comment by Ukdeebee – November 4, 2013 11:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site,
    how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account helped me a appropriate deal.
    I were a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

Comment by Margarette – December 17, 2013 02:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post