TNT's Southland Cops a Season 5 Renewal

Good news, Southland fans: It looks like the stories of Officer Ben Sherman’s professional free-fall and Det. Lydia Adams’ journey to juggle motherhood and case work won’t wind up as unsolved mysteries: TNT has renewed the gritty (oftentimes harrowing) L.A.-set police drama for a 10-episode fifth season.

“Season after season, critics and fans alike have championed TNT’s Southland as one of television’s best dramas. This year, the show has not only solidified its impassioned fan base, but also picked up some new young-adult devotees along the way,” Michael Wright, president and head of programming for TNT, TBS, said in a statement.

Southland this past season averaged more than 2.9 million total viewers when factoring in Live+7 DVR playback, while its delivery of Adults 18-49 grew three percent from Season 3.

Season 5 will premiere in February 2013.

Excited that there’s more Southland in your future? Ready to storm Emmy HQ with brickbats and torches if King and Hatosy don’t get nominations this year? Hit the comments and sound off!

1. Curt says:

so my watching from day 1 is justified! Yayyyyyyyyyyyy

2. common fig says:

Fantastic news!

3. DL says:

Yes! Yes, yes, yes! This just made my day! I’m ecstatic!

4. Beth Mack says:

Awesome news! this is the best scripted show on TV right now, in my opinion. It definitely deserves some Emmy love.

5. Nate says:

Glad to hear it. And I had been worried when I saw that TNT had so much in development and was not bringing back many shows for additional seasons.

6. Jahojo says:

This is good news for sure. I wonder if NBC is sorry now for cancelling another good show that someone else has picked up?

7. ninamags says:

One of the best dramas on tv for sure.

So happy it is coming back.

• Louise Ross says:

ME TOO. LOVE THIS SHOW. NEVER MISSED AN EPISODE

• Nicky Viz says:

This show is without a doubt the best show on tv. It leaves me on the edge of my seat and most episodes I develope major sweating attacks. If it were to be cancelled I would lose faith in tv and Americans alike and give tv up. I would like 15 to 20 episodes for sure.

8. Sarah says:

Of course! It’s one of my favorite shows that not enough people watch!

9. Bella says:

This is great news. I’ve watched this show from its first episode and was really happy when TNT picked it up. It’s so intense, though, that sometimes I DVR it and watch it the next day because for some reason, it makes me feel like I have more control over things that happen on the show. Ha!

10. Christine S. says:

YAY! :D This is such great news.

11. Jimmy James says:

Now if they can do more than just 10 episodes next season all will be good. I don’t know how renewal wasn’t a given, but I guess they have to have the f’n numbers. It’s better than almost all pay cable channels series right now so maybe, if they don’t do a sixth on TNT, we’ll see it on HBO or Showtime? Anythings better than no-thing. I don’t even like cops but it doesn’t matter what they are, their characters are just about as real feeling as any show since “Breaking Bad”. Now that would be a show, Sammy out to get Jesse and Walt trying to loose Sherman in a foot race. Sadly Southland would win, but it would still be fun to watch. Now I guess it’s time to wait on the premier…

12. Keith says:

Glad it was renewed. I wish they would have said for how many eps and hopefully it’s for more than 10.

13. sheila says:

Looking forward to the return of Officers Ben and Sammy more than anything else. There’s bound to be major drama between those two when the show returns. With just ten episodes, i hope that the writers focus on Sammy/Ben

14. Saint Alicia says:

Excellent news! Best “cop show” on TV, period.

15. CJ says:

I have watched it since day one on NBC and fell in love with it immediately. Best cop show I have ever seen and one of the best dramas on TV right now. Thank you God, universe, and TNT for another season of this brilliant show.

16. gcem says:

FINALLY!!!!!!

17. bad kevin says:

Southland is back for more and another season with ten episodes. Guess we’ll wait nine long months before the new season begins.

18. topsyturvy says:

Regina King needs an Emmy.

• Clay says:

The entire cast needs an Emmy. There’s not a single weak link among them. The only thing I didn’t like about season 4 was that the Sal and Russell didn’t make an appearnance.

• satch says:

you are so correct, loved her in the shotgun shootout?

19. Paulysj says:

Excellent! One of the best shows on the air!

20. Allie says:

YAY! I will miss John and Tang’s great chemistry but have no doubt that Michael Cudlitz will have great chemistry with the next one too. I hope they keep Regina’s partner…he is the first one I have liked!

21. MEKISHA HALE says:

I think this season was some really good stories on the show. Any time I get a chance to watch this show it gets better every time. Glad that TNT is renewing another great season of the television drama “Southland”!!!

22. Steve D says:

I usually hate cop shows they are sanctimonious, or simplistic with their black and white view of the world… This show however has been super from the start. The acting is great portraying real people and gritty situations. Even when in an earlier season Sherman and Cooper show up at a house and a mother explains to her daughter that you dial 911 and the police come. That sort of scene can add unexpected humour. When tang and cooper arrive at a suicide on a railway line that really caught me off guard. It just really sells the idea these are real situations and people. Anyway looking forward to 2013 and watching the only show that can give me a cold sweat, keep up the tense excellent writing.

23. Britta Unfiltered says:

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

24. J.D. says:

together with The Closer, best cop show on air! Maybe it’s LA…..

25. John smith says:

This show captures something that no other cop shows out there has ever done.

26. satch says:

so pleased the show has returned, best cop drama ever

27. Cheryl Fox says:

Best damn cop show on TV

28. i really love this show. i have watched it since it aired on tnt. the show has a great cast but i i have loved Regina King since forever. she is a great actress and i want to see more of her. Great job to the writers,producers and directors keep of the good work!!!

29. hughdunit says:

you cant base viewing figures via tv anymore, just look at the downloads from the internet this show gets.. that will give you a better view of how many people and where your audience is.
    For those of us that dont have access to cable, we get our fix from downloads.
    Great show, we are expecting to go season 20

30. Max Miller says:

Please keep the reruns showing i love th is show please never take it off the air. Keep reruns on

31. Max Miller says:

Reruns till new show comes on please

32. josh says:

Great show!!! TNT SHOULD ORDER 90 episodes! We love this show in our home. I get excited every time the music on the intro starts, I I’ve that intro. Definitely one if the best shows on TV!

33. josh says:

You just can’t say enough good things about this show, the writing, actors, and drama. Hopefully it will be like family guy, on the verge of cancellation then when enough people make noise and write to the network about it, it will become a huge success! HOPE TNT IS LISTENING.

34. Charleen says:

OMG!!!! I can not wait for Southland to start. I love this show amazing acting from all the cast and great writing. I agree NBC lost out by dropping the show but sooo happy TNT new the potential.

35. Rich says:

Great show and great cast. This show is so much better than all the other crap on. TNT is to be commended for keeping it going.

36. I agree this is the best show on TV!!

37. Curt says:

so glad to hear this I could almost cry. SUCH and excellent series. Only 10? I’ll take ‘em!

38. Clendon ford says:

I’m from the uk and so love southland. Please please please make some more. Never miss an episode. The best ever cop program. LOVE IT

39. Ukdeebee says:

Any news when Season 5 will air in the UK?

40. Margarette says:

Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site,
    how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account helped me a appropriate deal.
    I were a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea