The CW Renews Supernatural, Vampire Diaries and 90210

Vampire Diaries RenewedThe CW has made its first scripted pick-ups for the 2012-13 TV season, granting early renewals to Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries and 90210.

The Vampire Diaries will head into its fourth season, 90210 will return for its fifth and Supernatural will be entering its eighth. TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has thusly been updated.

Still awaiting official word on their fates at The CW are Gossip Girl, Nikita, The Secret Circle, Ringer and Hart of Dixie.

PHOTOS | Supernatural‘s Castiel Is Back… Again!

The Supernatural announcement doesn’t come as a huge surprise. Last month, it was reported that showrunner Sera Gamble would be stepping down to focus on development. Although the show had not yet been renewed for Season 8 at that time, a replacement — former co-producer Jeremy Carver — was already named, a good sign that the series would be back. Producer Todd Aronauer added fuel to the fire this Thursday morning by tweeting, then deleting, word of the show’s renewal.

VIDEO | Vampire Diaries: Klaus Plots His Mystic Falls Departure — But Not Without [Spoiler]

Supernatural‘s current season wraps up on May 18 and features a cliffhanger ending that leaves two fan faves in a very unexpected place. As for what the future holds, Misha Collins shared with TVLine that he’d like to return as angel Castiel.

“I have told [executive producer] Sera [Gamble] that I would love to come back next season if that is something that works out for everybody’s schedule,” he said. “If it’s in the cards, it would be great. I don’t know yet how things are going to play out.”

The CW also has several pilots under consideration for next season’s schedule, including Arrow, Beauty and the Beast (with Smallville’s Kristin Kreuk), First Cut (with The Good Wife‘s Mamie Gummer and Smallville‘s Justin Hartley), The Carrie Diaries and the Hunger Games-esque The Selection.

1. 90210? What are they thinking.

2. dianthac says:

will they ever announce the other shows? It seems like we’ve been waiting for ages…

• Anon says:

Excited for TVD, and really, really hoping they renew The Secret Circle soon!!

• Cat says:

Agree! TVD and Secret Circle work really well next to each other on Thursdays!

• Elyse says:

agreed! TVD and the secret circle are my favorites! if Hart of Dixie gets renewed too i’ll be happy. i’m not too attached to GG anymore. if Ringer gets renewed i wont watch a 2nd season. would love to have Nikita back but i want TSC and HOD back more!

3. Janneke says:

Ok, Supernatural and Vampire Diaries, I totally get that… but 90210?

• ksenija says:

these three shows are best rated cw shows, which means 90210 have better ratings than gg, tsc, ringer, nikita, heart of dixie and that is why. i don’t watch the show so i have no idea how is it, i’m only talking about numbers and numers get shows renewed.

• None says:

Did he just say 90210 should’t get rewound? If 90210 shouldn’t get rewound then why should any of the other shows do? Like for example The L.A. Complex. Although that show is Canadian.

4. Michael says:

come on NIKITA now please renew!!

• smallville944 says:

i dont think it will be renewed sadly

• Eric says:

Actually it probably will get one more season.

• ksenija says:

actually, with 0.4 rating it will be cancelled.

• Nikki says:

That 0.4 is not an accurate depicition of its average ratings. Also, Nikita is one of the largest shows the CW has internationally, it has been #1 on sites like Get Glue and Netflix when other CW shows have not, and has an extremely dedicated fanbase. I highly doubt CW would risk losing those people. I think it will receive a final 3rd season, as Craig Silverstain, show runner, has said from the beginning he had up til the end of season 3, pretty much, mapped out. If anything gets cancelled, it will be Ringer and a toss up between The Secret Circle and, unfortunately, Hart of Dixie.

• Chris says:

“That 0.4 is not an accurate depicition of its average ratings.”
            That’s right, Nikita. The show has also crapped out with a bunch of .5 ratings, which are pretty darn awful. Plus it performs extremely poorly in the 18-34 demo. DEAD, dead, dead, dead! :)

• Michael says:

If Nikita gets a third season, it’ll all but be guaranteed a fourth season. A third season for a show is unlikely unless the network plans on the fourth(to get it to the magic syndication number of 88). I hope that they make the right call. Gossip Girl is absolutely dreadful. The Ringer is Toast. My only quandary is that if Nikita is renewed, Hart of Dixie is all but dead and, despite loathing Rachel Bilson before this HoD started, the show has the adorable quotient and a great supporting cast that make me very happy every time I watch it. However, Nikita(along with TVD) is a quality show and I’d much rather see that on my TV come fall than light fare.

• smidnite says:

Nikita is just about the only CW show that doesn’t specifically pander to the under 25 crowd.

5. Glad for VD but that is their biggest hit hardly a surprise. The only shows I am concerned about are TSC and Nikita both of which I love dearly and are such fantastic quality shows. Please CW do not screw this up!

6. mac says:

Pleaaaasssse bring Misha back =D

7. ? says:

how funny they annouce this today. I was jst thinking about it this morning. Out of those 3 i only watch 1.

8. Does the renewal of 90210 spell the end of Ringer? Shame, I really liked Ringer. It picked up in the latter stages of the season and the finale was awesome. I really hope Nikita is renewed!

• JC says:

Ringer is the lowest rated show on The CW. It is going to canceled anyway, regardless of the 90210 renewal.

9. Claire says:

90210 is a joke. I don’t get it. Anyway good for the people who watch i guess… yay.

10. M says:

Now if they just promise to make 90210 not completely unwatchable.

11. deborah says:

Please let Hart of Dixie be next..

12. Alex says:

Hope they bring back Gossip Girl for a final season! These past few episodes have been great.

• rubytu says:

I want the final season to be far, far into the future. I want a lot more seasons of Chuck and Blair. I think it’ll go there.

• Mary Beth says:

Hopefully for either a 13 episode or maybe the typical 24 episode season, it’s likely it will be a final 13 episode season (that is if Gossip Girl is renewed)

13. George says:

Why are people confused that 90210 got renewed? it’s never drawn lower than 0.6. The others on this list have drawn 0.5′s some weeks (and in Nikita’s case 0.4′s)

• Ryan says:

“Nikita” is on Fridays at 8pm and they’re still maintaining a larger total audience and maintaining their demo numbers – which is normally a 0.5 – all while being one of the best shows on the network (though I would say that it’s THE best show on the network). “90210″ is on Tuesdays and it pulls low ratings while most people consider it the worst scripted show on the network. I think a lot of people are mainly surprised by its renewal because the head of the network says he wants to reinvent the network so it’s more adult, more intelligent, and – in all honesty – neither “90210″ or “Gossip Girl” do not fit that description AT ALL.

• Chris says:

And Nikita is consistently and substantially outperformed in the demo by Supernatural despite providing a crappy lead-in. So don’t use the “it’s on Friday” thing as an excuse for doing stinky. Supernatural overcomes the Friday placement very nicely. Nikita does not. And your assertion that Nikita is a good show is just YOUR opinion, which doesn’t matter a bit when it comes to renewal decisions. The day the CW consults you is the day the world ends.

14. Isa says:

I know it’s a long shot but pleeeeaseeeeeeeee a second series of Ringer! Even if it’s just a 13-episode finale!!

15. Jorge Castro says:

No Nikita?

• smallville944 says:

makes sende its ratings are atrocious

• rowan77 says:

It’s not just about the US ratings for pick-up. If Nikita has a strong following overseas (like Supernatural), it may still be a good idea to do a pick-up because on the overseas revenue another season creates. Is the show popular overseas?

• Emily says:

I’m pretty sure overseas only matters if the CW has a stake in production (I don’t know who produces Nikita). Otherwise, it could be the most popular show outside of the U.S. and it wouldn’t matter because the CW wouldn’t see a cent of it.

• rowan77 says:

It’s owned by Warner Bros Studios. Time Warner owns both the studio and the network, so it matters how it does overseas.

• CJ says:

Yes, Nikita does very well overseas.

• Rolfe says:

Nikita’s ratings seems to be on par with 90210. And it airs on Friday.

• Brandy says:

90210 went from 0.9 beginning of this season to 0.6s, while Nikita had 0.6 beginning of this season down to 0.4s (four 0.4 as of today and Likley will have 7 0.4 by seasons end) so no Nikita’s ratings are not on par with 90210 , in demo at least.

16. mare says:

really surprised that they are picking up 90210! I’m glad as well! The show has gone a long way and it got better when U compare it to season 3! Where there just was a rollercoaster!
    VD was for sure!
    And Supernatural even if I don’t watch it, it’s steady on the ratings and deserves an other season!
    Expect The SC to be renewed and GG for the old shows!

17. Robin says:

Happy for Supernatural!!! Please, please, please renew Nikita!! It’s one of the best shows on TV- great action sequences, wonderful scripts and amazing actors!

• Goonie says:

I’m sorry but you can’t seriously think anything that airs on the cw is “one of the best shows on tv.” you can’t match the quality of cable on network television, especially not on the cw.

• Emily says:

Well, I’d say when comparing the quality of trashy TV on CW with trashy TV on cable, CW gets the win.

• Nikki says:

Have you seen Nikita? It has high quality action, acting, and directing. It is better than most cable shows; it deserves to be on a better network, frankly.

18. Evyn says:

YESS! So happy for supernatural!!! They deserve another season to try to restore the show to it´s former glory with a new showrunner. And yes please bring Misha/Cas back ether as a regular or as a guest star with 10-12 episodes, and Jim/Bobby too!

19. Nikki H. says:

Hallelujah! I’ve been waiting for this confirmation for a couple months now. I hate it when they leave it to the last minute!!

20. Josh says:

I knew VD would obivously be Renewed And Supernatural as well I want Secret Circle renewed!

21. Clare says:

Now I’d like to hear confirmation of Misha’s return as a regular – it’s the one thing that will coax me back to watching Supernatural.

• rowan77 says:

I’m hoping for the same thing, but even if they don’t brig Misha back full time (again, I hope they do), consider watching season 8 because Jeremy Carver is at the creative helm and we may get back to a stronger narrative and dialogue that doesn’t make you cringe.

The head writer on a TV show provides the “voice” of the show. Kripke created the voice and when he ran things, the boys sounded like the boys would sound. Even Sera Gamble’s episodes under Kripke had the same exact voice – which is what you want in a staff writer. If you can’t write in the head writer’s voice, you shouldn’t write the show. I think now it is clear that Sera’s dialogue was polished by another writer (probably Kripke) to prevent the boys from sounding like women in those episodes. Revisions and polishes by other writers on the show (without screen credit) is perfectly normal on a TV series. Happens a lot,but if you have to do that a lot with a writer, any make them the head writer? It explains why some truly bad and out of character dialogue got in this season and the leads have said publicly that they have had to go to Bob Singer during a scene and ask to change the dialogue because it wasn’t anything the characters would ever say. I don’t think they did that with Kripke.

Sera isa talented writer – she just never totally mastered Kripke’s voice and shouldn’t have been the on in charge of keeping that voice constant.

• You better stop watching the show then. We will see that, Misha will never ever dare to comeback to Supernatural. Cass is the worst character not only on Supernatural but also on entire television. If you are a Misha Fan, go watch his other shows. I don’t want him back on this great show and spoil. He is such an unpopular b!t(# who fodders Wincest for popularity. I don’t want Castiel back.

• elios87 says:

Unpopular? I’m not sure where you’ve been hiding, but both the actor and the character have excellent fanbases in the SPN fandom, and this is coming from someone who wouldn’t stop watching regardless of the character’s fate.

• Melanie says:

Hate to break it to ya, but Jim Michaels confirmed that Misha WILL be a part of season 8. :D “Never ever dare to come back to Supernatural”?? WTF?! “We” will see just the opposite of that asinine remark. This post might be the most ridiculous thing I’ve read all day. Guess it doesn’t really matter what YOU want, it’s happening. And if you claim to like the show, why tell other people to go watch something else? Where is the logic in that? Right, there is none, as with the rest of the post.

22. Mrs. Peele says:

Another Season of our brave and gorgeous Winchester Boys! Hopefully, Cas, the Impala aka as Baby and Bobby will also rejoining us with the other usual suspects! Thank you CW but you didn’t have to wait so long – as Dean would say ‘my head hurts’!

23. Pepper Weeks says:

secret circle deserves another season. It’s picking up really well.

24. trev says:

nikita please

25. Michelle says:

So happy Supernatural is getting an 8th season. I’m not a fan of 90210 or TVD but i’m happy for those people who are fans of those shows. Now they need to renew Ringer, The Secret Circle, Hart of Dixie for 2nd seasons and i’ll be happy :)

26. R says:

TVD was a sure thing!
    surprised and happy for 90210 ..
    CW folks! Just renew Ringer and The Secret Circle, and I promise to be your devoted viewer forever (well at least for the next year! ;) )

27. brandy says:

These are the only 3 CW shows I don’t watch. Go figure. (Preparing myself for the cancellations of all my favorites)

28. John Berggren says:

And in other news, CW will make a go of it for another season.

• ggny says:

that is what they have to do. stick with the niche they have with Teens and easy their way into better programs. they cant just change the whole network in 1 year

29. Yay for Supernatural! I was getting a little worried about that show not coming back. This season has been so bleak and depressing that I hoped it wouldn’t go out on such a sad note. Let the boys get some HAPPY for once, please!

On a side note, has anyone heard about Ringer? I’ve really gotten into that show and hope they renew! :)

30. Nikita Fan says:

I would love if CW renewed Nikita.

31. Radina says:

90210 YEEEY! I was prepared to see it get cancelled since… it’s become ridiculous but for some reason I still enjoy it xD I’m gonna be sad to see HoD get canceled though :/

32. Daniela says:

Renewing shows like “90210″ will be this network’s death. The ratings aren’t impressive at all. The CW needs a lot of new shows to finally have a shot at surving. Couple of years ago, a CW show needed at least 1.0 rating. Now most of the shows have half of that.

33. Vannesa says:

90210…REALLY?

Waiting for the renewals of Hart Of Dixie, Nikita & The Secret Circle. Still not too sure about Gossip Girl.

34. TVMovieLove says:

I really hope they renew Ringer and Hart of Dixie! Those are the only two shows that I watch that are still on the bubble!

35. Winston says:

couple comments about 90210. some called it “shocking” others asked why? I mean honestly the show is creepy steady, cheaper than others on the network, and honestly,I knew this day would come after they renewed it last year, they were not about to quit when it’s close to 100. “syndication will pay off” is prob on their minds. Hopefully it’ll become the new OTH. The cw’s cockroach.

36. wrstlgirl says:

I’m not surprised by 90210 getting renewed but I just don’t get the attraction. It hurts to watch but good for those who can stomach it. Pretty sure HOD will get a renewal also, quite possibly GG. The other 3 are in trouble. That’s my two cents.

• Cassie says:

Actually TSC has better ratings than HOD and The Ringer so that has a better chance of being renewed.

• Brandy says:

Actually, the last couple weeks SC has gotten 0.5 while HoD got 0.6s. also, SC is the first or second most Declined show while Hart stayed at 0.5-0.6 since coming back from Christmas hiatus where SC has gone from 07 to 0.5 and SC isn’t growing out of or matching its lead in but HoD is.HoD ,SPN, GG, 90210 have tied at 0.6. For second highest rated cw show in demo twice in the last couple weeks. But you’re right that over the whole season SC has done better than HoD.

• wrstlgirl says:

HA! You beat me to it. Overall TSC has done better to date but it’s falling week by week and HOD is gaining. I don’t really care either way, neither one is very high on my radar. I’m even losing interest in TVD since the story hasn’t changed much from last season. SPN is really the only CW show I will never miss on a weekly basis.

• Nancy says:

The declining score of TSC can contributed to the 2 haitus in the second part of the show.

• Also, HoD is cheapier to produce than TSC with all the exploding people.

37. Cassie says:

The Secret Circle has more ratings than the other shows so I’m pretty sure that will get picked up. :)

i love Nikita but i think its time to say farewell :(

Hart Of Dixie is sure to go, and The Ringer. And i think Gossip Girl ran its course. Let those three get canceled and pick up three new and fresh pilots.

38. ggny says:

Seriously people shut up about CW shows getting over a 1.0….Its not gonna happen. Its gonna be along time before CW is out of the gutter and for now they should just milk the still niche that they have carved with teens and 90210 fits that.

39. Velvet says:

Yee Haw! I love Supernatural and Vamp Diaries. Couldn’t pay me to watch 90210. HA

40. Brandy says:

So excited that 3 of 7 cw shows I watch are renewed.Now if only Sc, GG, Hod would get renewed…I don’t care about SpN or Ringer and expect at the very least Ringer,Nikita cancelled and one of Sc or HoD be renewed or cw might cancel all of Ringer, Nikita, Sc, Hod. I hope GG gets a final wrap up season. On cw I watch Nikita, SC, VD, GG, ANTM, 90210,HoD.

41. luli says:

NNNNNIKIIIIIITAAAAAAAAAAAA PLEASEEE

42. kavyn says:

Nikita’s the only show guys can really actually get into on the CW, so here’s hoping they renew it and take it off the Friday death slot (or at least advertise it more).

43. Eric says:

Please could have done without TVD and 90210…of course TVD has ratings but still SUCKS and 90210 is pathetic. NIKITA all the way!

44. brandy says:

RINGER AND NIKITA PLEASE! (and Gossip Girl!)

45. Renda says:

Secret Circle, Ringer, and Hart of Dixie are three of my fave new shows of the year…hope they get renewed. Ringer started slow but that back half of the season was non-stop excitement!

46. Etta says:

Of course Supernatural would have been back. They sure wouldn’t have put $20,000-$30,000 into spicing up the Impala like Jensen has wanted for nothing. Just please don’t bring Castiel back, not everyone likes that character. We just aren’t as loud as the ones who like him.

• DeanSam81 says:

True. When Jensen asked the JibCib crowd whether they wanted Castiel back, the ones who don’t like Castiel weren’t quiet for once. They said no and booed loud enough to be heard. Jensen was surprised. I’m glad some people are finally clueing in to the fact that a lot of people don’t like Castiel. Furthermore, Hunger Games or not, his oberhyped rating tanked in the ratings.

47. Walter says:

I think they’re going into “save the network mood.” I think that they’re going to cancel everything else by Gossip Girl, so that it can have a shortened final season, and then bring in six new shows so that they have a full ten hours of programming.

• ggny says:

pretty much what everyone is expecting them to do. But i think we will see Hart of Dixie get another season. the show is steady ratings wise and its grow out of Gossip Girl Lead in

• Walter says:

That does make sense, but I was thinking that comparatively, the show is going a lot worse than it was in October and November (just like Secret Circle) and because the ratings have slipped by that much, they’d want to pick up something fresh to fill it’s place and attempt to attract a new audience.

48. Dizzle says:

They’ve got some pretty high profile pilots so I’m not surprised the other renewals haven’t been renewed yet… That new ‘Cult’ show with Matt Davis, the Arrow pilot, the medical drama First Cut… The fate of Nikita, Secret Circle and Hart Of Dixie will likely depend on how good those turn out.

49. Angie says:

TVD was no surprise, really hoping Secret Circle gets another season and I know it’s a long shot but I really liked Ringer. It was a slow starter but it got so good!

Maybe the CW should just do 13-episode seasons since none of their shows tend to get stellar ratings. Maybe then there wouldn’t be so many reruns & months-long hiatuses and they can try out more shows. Win-win!

• popculturedrandoms says:

13 episode seasons for some of their shows might not be a bad idea! For the fact that they only have 10 hours of programming a week and all these month-long hiatuses, it does give them room to add more shows without sacrificing so many of their current slate

50. kfw says:

Yes they are renewing supernatural wahoooo! Dean is my life. And 90210! Love that show, basically also my life <3