Spartacus Scoop: Cabin in the Woods' Anna Hutchison Among Three Actresses Joining Cast

Spartacus is replenishing its ranks in the wake of Season 2’s climactic bloodbath.

Cabin in the Woods‘ Anna Hutchison, Aussie actress Jenna Lind and New Zealand newcomer Gwendoline Taylor are joining the Starz drama’s Season 3 ensemble as series regulars.

Hutchison will play Laeta, the privileged wife of a Roman dignitary who becomes entangled in the struggle against Spartacus. Her life and those of the ones she loves are forever changed by the conflict.

RELATED: Find Out Why Lucretia Had To Die

Lind will portray Kore, a loyal slave to Marcus Crassus (Simon Merrells), the Roman tasked with bringing an end to Spartacus and his rebellion. Her deep feelings for her master will be sorely tested by spiraling events.

Lastly, Taylor will play Sibyl, a beautiful young slave rescued from Roman cruelty. Now free, she will embark on a journey that will touch the lives of key leaders in the rebellion.

Back in March, Sparty creator Steven S. DeKnight told TVLine that he planned to introduce a handful of new characters to fill the enormous void left by the mass exodus in the Spartacus: Vengeance finale. Among those whacked were Lucy Lawless’ Lucretia and Viva Bianca’s Ilithyia. DeKnight insisted at the time that the actresses being brought in would “not reproduce what Viva and Lucy were,” adding that they “will be completely different and won’t have that same dynamic. But hopefully they will be engaging.”

Spartacus‘ still-untitled third season is slated to bow in early 2013.

1. Alex says:

The news has come too soon! I still ache for Ilithyia’s death. :( But I’m excited to see what these new actresses bring to the table.

• Fred says:

What they likely bring to the table the most is quite a bit of gratuitous nudity. This is Spartacus after all

2. Martin says:

i thought i read before that Luke Pegler who played Glabers sidekick was to play Marcus Crassus, think i read it on here too.

3. Mcat says:

And I was wondering if it was too soon to ask you for Spartacus scoop. Thanks, Aus.

Season 3 is going to be painful for me to watch because I expect either Agron or Nasir is going to die. :(

4. wordsmith says:

Interesting news.After they COMPLETELY wiped out the whole non-rebel cast, I was a little worried, but clearly they’ve got a plan for carrying on.
    Now I’m wondering what the new subtitle for the season will be…

5. anakinjmt says:

Wow Anna Hutchison to me will always be Lily from Power Rangers Jungle Fury. Seeing her in Spartacus will be weird!

6. James says:

cool i’m sure it will be epic. I really hope they can milk some seasons out of this show, knowing that Spartacus only lasted about a year against the Romans. this show is easily one of the best on tv and i’d love to see it carry on. it should be interesting to see these ladies, its gonna be tough to capture the same magic they got from Lucy Lawless, but Deknight is a talented bloke i have little doubt he will succeed

7. Ladyvader says:

I will Ilithyia and Lucretia forever. Except Kore, the others two characters doesnt sound interesting. Sybil will be Sparty’s new love interest( another Mira) and Laeta will the typical wife.

• Shaun says:

I dunno,would be interesting if there end up being Roman captives(like Ilythia was shortly).Could add a new perspective.

8. It would be weird to see the Yellow Cheetah Ranger naked. I wonder who among these women we’ll get to see in action first. These girls sure have big shoes to fill.

9. Sebaj says:

wow! i think this 3 girls gonna be amazing. But “Sibyl” doesn’t sound like an ancient name to me. If she is Roman i think that Sibilia or something like that is more properly. Right? Anyone find that weird?

10. Sara says:

I was really hoping they would pull what they did with lucy and say Ilithyia isnt dead. I was hoping she just passed out. the show will not be the same without her and lucy’s character i think they made a big mistake! Honestly with them killing all my favorite characters i am not looking forward to the new season.

11. Carol says:

I have seen all of season 3 on DVD I could not wait for the program to begin on Foxtel, It’s the best show I have seen in years, please make another.