American Idol Top 5 Set List Spoilers Leaked: But Who Will Sing What?

The set list for tonight’s American Idol Top 5 performance show has been leaked by band leader Ray Chew — in addition to the previously announced British Music theme, the remaining finalists will also tackle a track from the 1960s — and now it’s time to speculate who will sing what.

First, here are the song spoilers, which include a lot of familiar titles. (Oh Uncle Nigel, when will you hire a year-round staff to start pre-clearing a fresher and deeper song library?)

The ’60s
The Temptations’ “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg”
The Box Tops’ “The Letter”
Ike and Tina Turner’s “Proud Mary”
CCR’s “Fortunate Son”
Ike and Tina Turner’s “River Deep, Mountain High”

British Pop
The Bee Gees’ “To Love Somebody”
The Zombies’ “Time of the Season”
Leona Lewis’ “Bleeding Love”
Joe Cocker’s “You Are So Beautiful”
Dusty Springfield’s “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me”

Duos/Trios
Jackie Wilson’s “Higher and Higher”
The Righteous Brothers’ “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling”

And now, let’s getto speculatin’ about the solos!

Joshua Ledet: True confession: I’ve never been a fan of “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” and its Oldies Radio midtempo sweetness (though it’s better than “Sugar Pie Honey Bunch”), so if this turns out to be Joshua’s pick (and it probably will), let’s hope its his first number of the night. “To Love Somebody” (previously covered on Idol by Jordin Sparks, Josh Gracin, and Clay Aiken) has been done to death on the show, but with a stripped-down arrangement and restrained delivery, Joshua could easily catapult himself into the Top 4.

Phillip Phillips: “The Letter” will certainly fit into Phillip’s growly guitar-driven comfort zone — while providing him with an indellible hook in the process. It may also reinforce his superiority as a vocalist to Lee DeWyze, who tackled the track in Season 9. (Heaven help him if it doesn’t.) “Time of the Season” (previously covered by none other than Blake Lewis) is a groovy slice of nostalgia that could benefit from a P2 twist. Here’s hoping dude sticks to the melody on at least one of his performances.

Skylar Laine: If Skylar hops aboard the “Fortunate Son” train, she won’t be alone in pumping her fist and bopping around like a certifiable crazy. (Just don’t expect me to upload video of my couch dancing to the internet.) British Pop is a little trickier, but it’s been a minute since Skylar showed her vulnerable side, and a little torch and twang wouldn’t hurt “You Are So Beautiful” any, now would it?

Jessica Sanchez: Over the last few weeks, Jessica has shown she’s not afraid to get a little bit rowdy with her song selections, and “River Deep, Mountain High” is the kind of meaty exercise in holleration that is right in her wheelhouse. I suspect she’ll follow up with “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me”; her vibrato-infused delivery would definitely be a departure from Dusty’s satin smooth style, and could be an Idol Moment at exactly the right point in the competition.

Hollie Cavanagh: Hollie isn’t the most skilled strategist in song selection, and if she goes with the very tricky “Proud Mary” (which just popped up on The Voice very recently) it’ll continue that trend. For her British track, since she’s already tackled Carrie, Kelly, Xtina, and Adele, it wouldn’t be a surprise if she gravitates to another recent Big Diva Ditty in Leona Lewis’ “Bleeding Love.” Plus, since Hollie already covered Dusty Springfield in Now & Then Week, I doubt she’d go there again.

What do you think of the set list for Top 5 week? And who will cover what? Hit the comments and share your thoughts!

Comments (130)

• I think Hollie will do River Deep and Jessica do Proud Mary; there’s a connection betwen Hollie and Pia

Comment by Landon Cox (@bluinjewin) – May 2, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope Hollie will do “You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me”, Skylar will do “To Love Somebody” [because country bands have adopted it], JSan will do Proud Mary [and prove she can't do up-tempo] , P2 will do “You Are So Beautiful To me” [perfect for the spaz factor alone], and Joshua will do “Ain’t Too Proud To Beg”. This is what I hope, not what I predict.

Comment by Templar – May 2, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I HOPE THAT PHIL DOES YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL BY JOE COCKER.

Comment by Judy Winebarger Wilkins – May 2, 2012 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I do to.. and God Bless him, hope he is feeling better.. I love Philip..

Comment by Sandra – May 2, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Same Sames just did the Zombies cover and it was horrible! And the judges still couldn’t bring themselves to criticize it. Where is Simon when we need him?!

Comment by NJloonie – May 2, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Oooff. I like Phillip just fine, but that HURT. It was one of those performances where I had to look away cause I was so embarrassed for him.
            He’s a lock to win.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – May 2, 2012 07:16 PM PDT
    • That was my first instinct too.

Comment by Tracy – May 2, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am thinking Jessica will do “Bleeding Love” since Michael Orland of American Idol said that Jessica’s fans will love her song selection this week. Jesse McCartney co-wrote this song and he and Jessica are tweeting and following each other on Twitter. From Beyonce, Jazmine Sullivan, and Alicia Keys, you know Jessica will be singing Leona, which will help her seperate from the pack since she is the only one who picked a current chart-topper.

Comment by ANALYST – May 2, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just goes to show that Jessica is mixing it up and challenging herself more. Just about everyone picked Bleeding Love for her. However her second song ‘You Are So Beautiful’ was just a better song choice, and a great contrast to ‘Proud Mary’ which I liked a lot as well.

Comment by Bobbi – May 2, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can easily see Hollie doing River Deep/Mountain High, and You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me. I agree with Michael that she doesn’t make the best song choices.

Comment by Name That Tune – May 2, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pia?

Comment by Hy – May 2, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Another standing O for Joshua? Really? REALLY??!

Comment by NJloonie – May 2, 2012 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the problem with American Idol, constantly re-using the same songs. It’s one of the most watched shows in the US, why can’t they get the rights to a larger selection of songs??

Comment by JLK – May 2, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! Teens and 20 year olds singing 50 year old songs. Good grief.

Comment by jen – May 2, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s not even that the songs are old, it’s that they re-use the same selection of old AND new songs. It feels like the songs on idol are ones I know (old or new), but have been song before on the show OR some obscure song I’ve never heard of. Is it too much to ask that they songs that are familiar, but haven’t been done to death on the song already?

Comment by JLK – May 2, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Couldn’t agree more JLM – nuff already!

Comment by shelbybb – May 2, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually, I don’t mind if the songs are obscure, if they do them well. Then I’d be more willing to buy it on Itunes than a song I all ready own and have probably listened to a hundred times.

Comment by zaza – May 2, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Ditto. A good obscure song is much better than a bad known one. And I don’t download them for the exact same reason.

Comment by Yo' – May 2, 2012 02:51 PM PDT
    • Wow. I am so bored by this list I might not even DVR the show!

Comment by the real wendy – May 2, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s because the contestants are choosing the songs themselves and their ‘exposure’ to live performance IS Idol. They grew up watching Idol, wanting to be on Idol and probably thinking, I can do that song on Idol, too!

Comment by HairLikeATeddyBear – May 2, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well if Idol actually cleared the current popular songs these young idols would be besides themselves. They grew up on Idol, but they know their current music better. That FAKE song list that went online yesterday was a better list! :)

Comment by Bobbi – May 2, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t Pia Toscano sing “River Deep Mountain High” before she was eliminated? If Jessica sings that then the comparisons between her and Pia will go even crazier. I do love that song though.

Comment by idolbethejudge.blogspot.com – May 2, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was the first thought that came to mind with me also when I saw that song choice.

Comment by TheBeach – May 2, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would switch your predicted songs for Jessica and Hollie, but other than that, I agree!

Comment by Annie – May 2, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you notice the set list, both River Deep, Mountain High and that Dusty Springfield song are listed at the end of their corresponding lists, ie singer will perform list. I doubt Hollie will go last again. Proud Mary and Bleeding Love are both third on the set list = Hollie.

Comment by mrOCD – May 2, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m pretty sure this isn’t the order of performances, at least, every other “leaked” setlist has been out of order.

Comment by stacy – May 2, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • We’ll find out soon enough, I guess. ‘Twas just a hunch.

Comment by mrOCD – May 2, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The order that is on the spoiler list is never the order in which they perform

Comment by Ryan – May 2, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • British music is my all time fave music, so sorry to see Leona in there.

Comment by gailer – May 2, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously?? UK music and this is the best they can come up with?! And i am English. This is poor, Nigel Lythgoe wants to take his head out of his @rse and get himself into the 21 century, or hire someone who is but has a mind of their own to put him straight!!

Comment by julie – May 2, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Consider me totally underwhelmed at these song choices. Come on, Idol…you’re a money-making machine. Spend a few of those bucks on more song rights!

Comment by TheBeach – May 2, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There are bunch of videos on youtube of Jessica singing Bleeding Love so I’m thinking she will do that.

Comment by Angela – May 2, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep–Jessica is thoroughly versed on “Bleeding Love”. At this stage in the competition, she’d be wise to sing a song that she’s already comfortable singing. No need to stress about memorization. Then she could take it to a whole new level w/ help from the arrangement team.

Comment by Nic – May 2, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Fortunate Son, To Love Somebody & Time of the Season. Hope they don’t ruin them. As to the rest, eh. I can’t stand Bleeding Love. It will either be a great improvement or make me intensely dislike the performer. We shall see.

Comment by mick – May 2, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not necessary to make a dig at Lee, FYI. Let it go, please.

Comment by XX – May 2, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah Lee is a MUCH superior vocalist to PP. He had his pitch issues, but at least he had an appealing sound, unlike Phillip.

Comment by Andy – May 2, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree -His The Letter on Season 9 was much better than what I heard tonight- I didn’t like Phillips rendition at all. Amd Michael- why the change in your opinion- you stated when you were with EW that you like Lees blues version-Lee had some pitch problems but he is a much better vocaiist than Phillip. I compared his performance in Season 9 to Phillip’s tonight anf I thought Lee’s was way better.

Comment by Brenda Russell – May 2, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to hear P2 cover “Time of the Season”, even though Blake’s version is all kinds of awesome!
    I have a feeling Joshua could have chosen “Proud Mary” and “You Are So Beautiful”.

Rooting for these two boys now that Elise is gone

Comment by Karen – May 2, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also on your P2 comment, DMB often covers Time of the Season at live shows so I immediately thought that was his song.

Comment by Cristina Giammarco (@photoshopgrl) – May 2, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bingo. It also has a line in it that asks, “Who’s your Daddy?”….that should get all his dewey fans to vote like robots all night.

Comment by Joe – May 2, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Haha! I thought the same thing. Thought he chose it for that line, and also to push Michael Slezak over the edge :-D. Did you check out the look he gave the camera on “who’s ya daddy”? Mmmm-hmm.

Comment by deedee – May 2, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Phillip will be doing the Joe Cocker song. He’s already got the facial expressions of Joe Cocker down and, except for the last note, there are only about three notes in the whole song which is about all Phillip can handle.

Comment by david7118 – May 2, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually think that Philip might do “Aint too proud to beg”……..

Comment by Victoria – May 2, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want Skylar to do River Deep Mountain High… or Joshua, actually! I was SO happy that it wasn’t Joshua singing Dance with my Father last week… Hopefully my two favorites dodge the poor song choice bullet once more! :)

Also, give Hollie Proud Mary. The song is so over-done and I don’t want it near the people I want to stick around for next week.

Comment by slizabeth – May 2, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Idol really needs a longer list of songs, also, the contestants need to speak out and ask for something different. Kris Allen and others have done so in the past.

As for song choices, this will probably be the week that benefits Joshua and Skylar.

Phillip may surprise us all and do “You Are So Beautiful.” Something totally different than what he’s been doing for so many weeks.

Comment by J – May 2, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Phillip’s gotta be doing Fortunate Son. It’s perfect for him.

Comment by Fran V – May 2, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t imagine anyone else doing a social protest song. Er, on purpose, anyway.

Comment by Yo' – May 2, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree. I liked that Skylar, but I thought it sounded more like a pep rally but for the wrong reasons since it is a cynical song in context. Can’t blame her all the way because the mentors pushed her in that direction.

Comment by Bobbi – May 2, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so bummed. Michael and the Idology posters, here, came up with such brilliant lists and this is what Idol turns out? meh. I’m sure they’ll do great but… it’s just disappointing. Also, I’m putting money on Jessica doing Proud Mary.

Comment by MamaLis – May 2, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree about the disappointing song choices. But considering Skylar’s over-the-top fist pumping performances, I could easily see her choosing “Proud Mary”.

Comment by TheBeach – May 2, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That would be interesting! I just looked at that list again…You are so beautiful. Really Idol? Really?

Comment by MamaLis – May 2, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sugar Pie Honey Bunch is actually “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)” [You gotta know somebody had to do it]

Comment by Elaine – May 2, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually they’re two different songs. “Sugar Pie Honey Bunch (I Can’t Help Myself)” is by the Four Tops and “Ain’t Too Proud To Beg” is by the Temptations.

Comment by Caitlin – May 2, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First of all Phillip is not superior to lee hes just like lee and i do not want that fool to destroy Fortuante Son and you are so Beautiful i want Philip Gone Badly and i think British Music should Benefit Hollie a little Bit she has a British background

Comment by Josh – May 2, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Huh? Phillip is just like Lee? Why are you drinking so early in the day, Josh? ;)
      Also, you might want to consider a period here and there, just for fun.

Comment by MamaLis – May 2, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think they’re alike at all. I do think Lee’s voice is much more powerful. Compare his seaon 9 performance of The letter to Phillip’s “Rendition”- a bad rendition and hear for yourself. You should do the same. Michael.

Comment by Brenda Russell – May 2, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Brenda. People either like Phillip or they don’t—that’s it. You don’t like him. I do. I don’t need to check my hearing—I like his singing, I like his guitar playing, I think he’s fantastic. No, he isn’t a technical vocalist and he isn’t always perfectly on key—not everyone is–doesn’t mean they aren’t good—especially singing live. If you listen to his studio recordings, he sounds clearer and more in tune. I happen to like how he changed up The Letter. I like how he barely hit the high note in Time of the Season—I’m a child of the 60′s those songs mean something special to me—and I liked his take on them. That’s all I have to say about that! Oh, I like Lee, too. And all the other WGWG’s—because that’s the kind of music I really like.

Comment by Marsaili – May 2, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I don’t dislike him- I just feel he is not growing like for example- like Hollie who has gotten so much better. Michael commented his strugggled last night and his vocals were off in the chorus in the 2nd song. as did several reviewers- EW, hotelangel, etc. I actually liked him more at the beginning of the season- his vocals haven’t been as good as they were earlier in the season. Maybe his health problems are causing this I like the original The Letter myself and his rendition of the song didn’t really seem to make it better to me The second song I didn’t know as well but he really was straining and struggling on the chorus with the falsetto and a lot of reviewers mentioned that- I noticed it as well. I have noticed that the judges have been more critical of other contestants vocals- Hollie, Elise for example were critcized much more harshly for vocals that may have not been great but were stronger than Phillip’s. Lee has been treated really badly- not asked to perfom on the finale last year and he has still remained humble and a really nice guy. just tonight he performed for charity at Walter Reed Hospital for wounded soldiers. Lee was made to listen to “former paints saleman” being a paint salesman but no one has made comments about Phillip at the pawn shop not that they should. I didn’t say I didn’t like Phillip- I did not like his perfromance last night and if you go back and listen to it more carefully you may hear and see what I mean. Glad you like him-I hope its for his singing not his looks. he does play well and is a an artist but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t still be judged on his vocals-it is a singing competiion. Just because i didn’t care for his vocals on Wednesday doesn’t mean I dislike him. he’s more of a performer than a singer to me. but if you are really into him-glad you enjoy him. Everyone has their favorites-mine is Hollie right now. Don’t worry Phillip will be in the finale.

Comment by Brenda Russell – May 3, 2012 11:53 PM PDT
          • Actually, my favorites are Hollie and Joshua, now that Elise is gone ;-( I’m a 46 year old housewife with 6 kids—I’m not crushing on a 21 year old guy—it’s all about the music ;-)

Comment by Marsaili – May 4, 2012 12:13 AM PDT
  • I don’t really see Hollie doing Proud Mary. But who knows? It’s been fun to get a refresher on all these songs before tonight so thanks for posting them.

Comment by Loni – May 2, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Time of the season-Phillip-”what’s your name…who’s your daddy?” Oh yeah!

Comment by Robin – May 2, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Phillip is an awesome artist, but he’s no Lee DeWyze. Their sounds are not the same, their styles are different as are the way they portrait their music. This is not to cut down or praise either one but rather state differences. Lee could sing any song and put his own special twist on it. Hallelujah is the song that he sang that stands out most to me. Phillip takes a song and morphs it into the same style of song we hear from him every week. Its always the same sound over and over with different lyrics. I don’t know how he will when his own cd comes out because I’ve never heard one of his own songs BUT I’m sure it will be better than what he’s forced to choose from on AI. Phillip is a true artist.

Comment by Stephi Masanz – May 2, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lee always put his special twist on songs by singing them off-key. He needed an ear mike which the singers are now using.

Comment by davey – May 2, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You think Phillip sings good?-listen to his 2nd performance-his vocal is both very weak and out of tunel, It was horrible- I hope you can be objective-he’s attractive but he was not good tonight at all. Hollie is getting better- the others conrinue to do well- Phillip get worse every week. Jennifer said his first song The Letter had no meloday and she did n’t even know the song. The judges never mention his vocals- on the second song Randy raved about his guitar playing probably because he thought the vocal wasn’t so good. BTW Lee DeWyze is a really good guitat playefr and also plays the piano as well. I’m sorry he;s ot well with the kidney stones and stent- that may be the cause of his poor vocals but let’s get real.

Comment by Brenda Russell – May 2, 2012 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I can be objective—yeah, he was off key at times. His performances weren’t as strong as the others—but he is still awesome, talented and I can’t wait for his album. WIll he go home tomorrow?? There is a good chance–but I think that’s better for him in the long run because he doesn’t need to be tied into a record contract where he doesn’t have creative control.

Comment by Marsaili – May 2, 2012 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m also disappointed about the song list. Why can’t they pick their own songs? Is there a copyright infringement? I’m afraid they are going to be compared to past season AI’s. I’d really hate to see one get voted off just because they weren’t as good as a previous AI.

Comment by Chrissy – May 2, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obviously Phillip is doing Bleeding Love.

Comment by YowzaPowza – May 2, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • buahahaha!! epic comment!!

Comment by Anthony – May 2, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At first when I saw the choices I thought Jessica would be doing one of the Tina Turner songs (naturally) and Bleeding Love – but now the more I think about it, I don’t think she’ll do Bleeding Love . . .there have been a couple of times when she did a song on youtube but then someone else sang it on the show. I think that’ll be the case again.

I’d prefer Jessica to do Proud Mary than for her to do River Deep Mountain High (although I love both songs) – only because Proud Mary has that great slow start and then it kicks it up a notch ! And plus I don’t want any of that Pia Toscano association . . . but I do think she’ll do River Deep Mountain High. . .

Comment by angelstorm – May 2, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Put Phillip down for CCR & Joe Cocker. That seems pretty obvious.

Comment by 1ifiona – May 2, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Switch Hollie and Jessica and it’s probably pretty accurate. Jessica has multiple videos of her covering Bleeding Love on Youtube so I’m pretty sure that’s what she’ll be doing this week.

Nervous for her undertaking Proud Mary and Hollie doing River Deep Mountain High…both have the potential to be highly disappointing.

Comment by Ryan – May 2, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

The Zombies’ “Time of the Season” – Phillip
    Leona Lewis’ “Bleeding Love” – Jessica
    Joe Cocker’s “You Are So Beautiful” – Joshua
    Dusty Springfield’s “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me” – Hollie

Poor list.

Comment by IdolFan – May 2, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointing set list, indeed….. How AI continues to draw in the younger set while playing such old, old songs is truly a mystery.

I think Phillip is gonna do Fortunate Son and You’re So Beautiful…..
    Just want that on the record…..

Comment by PFitzDC – May 2, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And the judges harp on “song choice!” Do they SEE the song choices???

Comment by shelbybb – May 2, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s a really good question. I would be interested to know if the judges have access to the list of song choices available.

Comment by TheBeach – May 2, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably because older songs are superior to newer songs!!

Comment by Jason – May 2, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But there ARE more older songs from which to chose. They keep recycling the same stuff.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – May 2, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These are some mighty old songs (except Bleeding Love). And where are the “younger”-type songs Jimmy was supposed to choose for Jessica?

Comment by connerc – May 2, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they duo Phil and Josh on You’ve Lost That Lovin Feelin and the trio of ladies do Higher and Higher!

Comment by wendeeloo – May 2, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I can say is that these are lame song choices and Uncle NIgel should be ashamed of himself. It’s like Idol is on repeat. New songs, Nigel!!!

Comment by NedPepper – May 2, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica is doing Bleeding Love (she’s covered it before) and Proud Mary, because Beyonce has covered it.

Comment by random1343 – May 2, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To Jessica’s credit, she did not do the Beyonce cover but a bluesier one with more grit. Not exactly Tina but more like …. Jessica! Beyonce’s cover was actually very soft and underwhelming vocally. She just has insane dancers and moves to cover it. She should start listening to Steven Van Zandt’s advice to Hollie and forget the judges, because Jessica actually took Randy’s advice from last week and then the DAWG threw her under the bus! WTF?

Comment by Suggestor – May 2, 2012 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! You are the first person to agree with me on song choices this week. Either we are both brilliant or will go down in flames together. No matter which it is I agree Skylar’s “The Show Must Go On” was an outerspace moment.

Comment by Nanc – May 2, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Ike and Tina Turner’s “River Deep, Mountain High””

PLEASE, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE. The owner of the rights of this song can forbid the American Idol from use it? PLEASE!!!

Comment by Pearl – May 2, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They could but why would they? Every time someone buys it on itunes that’s money in their pocket.

Comment by TheBeach – May 2, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Plus, Phil Spector, his wild hair, and his “wall of sound” are serving time in prison for murdering actress Lana Clarkson. He needs all the dough he can get for attorneys for his parole hearings.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – May 2, 2012 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Before I read Michael’s guesses, this is what I wrote;
    *Skylar – Proud Mary, To Love Somebody
    *Hollie – River Deep/Mountain High, You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me
    *P2 – Fortunate Son, Time of the Season
    *Jessica – The Letter, Bleeding Love
    *Joshua – Ain’t Too Proud To Beg, You Are So Beautiful

Comment by Name That Tune – May 2, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    ***
    I hope Skylar or Joshua sings “Proud Mary.” They’re the only two with enough spunk to pull that off.
    Phillip’s bound to do “Fortunate Son,”
    I bet Jessica does “River Deep.”
    I don’t think I’ve ever heard of “The Letter”…have I? I’ll have to google that.

Comment by MA – May 2, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • technically the Bee Gees are British (they were born there) but they moved to Australia when they were young lads. And you definitely have heard of “The Letter”. It’s just one of those songs that doesn’t pop up as soon as you hear the title. I can see P2 doing that song. I agree that Joshua would slay “Proud Mary”. It’s just that it’s done soooo much!

Comment by Chris – May 2, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, but don’t we think of them as Australian?? I do, though I did google them, and you’re right, their big success came in the UK. Just sounds weird to me. Forgot about The Letter! Must give it a listen. Proud Mary is done a lot but if Joshua does it, I’ll give him a pass because 1) I love that song, and 2) he’d be so great!

Comment by MA – May 2, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I so agree. I ADORE Josh and Proud Mary is a song he could slay. I just pray he doesn’t overdue it and turn people off to it. I’m liking both themes tonight and performances should be great!!!

Comment by Chris – May 2, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can you call it a “Leak” when the official American Idol twitter account posted the set list.. and they do it every Wednesday… the word “leaked’ is over used.
    It’s more like American Idol announces the set list…

Comment by steveymacjr – May 2, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, this is way off topic but did anyone see Elise on the Anderson Cooper Show this week? What the heck was she doing going on a nationally televised show and ragging on Jimmy Levine? Doesn’t she know she’s still got to come back to Idol for the finale and summer tour? (and maybe a future album!)
    Not so sure that was a cool move even if she’s justifiably pissed at Jimmy for being “rude” to her on the show!
    Come on Elise grow up and get a thicker skin- people are not always going to be nice to you!

Comment by shelbybb – May 2, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe she thinks he was rude to her on the show, and that’s why she said so. Elise doesn’t strike me as someone who’s all that interested in the big music scene game. I’m sure she wants to be successful, but I suspect she’ll define what that means and sucking up to Jimmy may not be on her list of “successful” attributes. I’m reminded of something Martie Maguire said after the Dixie Chicks released “Not Ready to Make Nice” as their first new music following the “we’re ashamed to be from Texas” backlash crap. She was asked why oh why did they pick that song first; didn’t it seem antagonistic? Her response was, “If we cared, we wouldn’t have done it.” If Elise cared, she wouldn’t have said it. She’s not dumb.

Comment by MA – May 2, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jimmy has also said some really complimentary things about Elise. He does it with everyone. I know he loves Joshua now but once upon a time, he said Joshua performed like sister act or something :S. Actually, I think he’s dissed everyone but Skylar.
      Granted Deandre and Heejun and maybe Elise got the worst of his criticism.

Comment by Sha – May 2, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Without reading MS’s picks or thinking too hard, my quick, first impressions based on their voices, style, positioning left …In some cases but not every one, not necessarily who I’d want to sing what.

The Temptations’ “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg”– Josh
    The Box Tops’ “The Letter”–Skylar ( I guess she has to change gender lyrics “he wrote me..”)
    Ike and Tina Turner’s “Proud Mary”– Jessica
    CCR’s “Fortunate Son”—P2
    Ike and Tina Turner’s “River Deep, Mountain High”– Hollie

The Bee Gees’ “To Love Somebody”– Skylar (I think she could start this slow then take it to church…but she could do that with Dusty’s song too…just not sure if Hollie is suited to others, so I give that one to Hollie.)
    The Zombies’ “Time of the Season”– Joshua
    Leona Lewis’ “Bleeding Love”– Jessica (If she doesn’t sing this it’s a shame…I’m not even her biggest fan this season…but she should slay this one, and has the nuance in her voice and emotion to do it.)
    Joe Cocker’s “You Are So Beautiful”– P2
    Dusty Springfield’s “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me”– Hollie (Would be no surprises with this but the long slow ballad notes should suit her.)

Higher and Higher– Skylar and Josh and maybe Hollie’s thrown in there too cuz I don’t see her in the other one
    Lovin’ Feelin– Leaves P2 and Jess?? Hot mess. Haven’t a clue here..

I usually don’t do the guessing who sings what, or give much thought to it, so, I’ll have to see how close I come.

Comment by Amy – May 2, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At first, I thought Josh and Skylar doing a duet with Higher and Higher. They both could kill it.
      But You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’ was a duet with Everly Brothers. If you’re thinkin’ of a Finale with Joshua and P2, this song fits with them singin’t it and the girls doing Higher and Higher.

Comment by Name That Tune – May 2, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok, second guessing already (see this is why I never do this…can drive ya nuts!)….but I just heard P2 singing “The Letter” in my head. I think I originally just thought of Cocker’s growl on You are So Beautiful and put P2 there…then everyone else fell in line.
    One of the ballad peeps could do Cocker’s song, without the growl too…that leave P2 for The Letter…and then Skylar……oh forget it! I’ll see what MS says now………………!

Comment by Amy – May 2, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone else think/would love to see hollie and josh doing the duet? they’re such cute besties!

Comment by Josie – May 2, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok now that I read MS…
    Not changing wanting to hear Jessica’s Bleeding Love…but it would be better for Hollie IF she could nail that one instead with the nuance she’s not yet shown…it’d be more the twist from just the long, big ballad notes we already know she can do. I wish she’d have a big breakthrough like that…that is what her “non-fans” have been missing. And Jess would do the Dusty song well too.
    Can’t wait to see who does what tonight. I hope they all bring their A-game. Come to think of it…haven’t had a season of many “disasters” this year. I keep saying it, and thought Season 7 will always be my favorite, this has been a great Idol season…the best since 7, imho.

Comment by Amy – May 2, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If P2 is playing it safe, he’ll do The Letter and Time of the Season. But, I’d like to see him stretch a little. See what he can do with Joe Cocker, which is suited to him, but will have to be a strong vocal.

Comment by connerc – May 2, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can see him doing The Letter, but he is could so much do a CCR song with Skylar taking the other one. If she doesn Fortunate Son, it’s lock that Joshua does Proud Mary.

Comment by Name That Tune – May 2, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • CCR makes sense for him too. I just assumed that was Skylar’s.

Comment by connerc – May 2, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh! ..one more thing (I know it’s like I’m spamming now but) I kept forgetting to mention
    (I guess because he’s SO forgettable) …Stephanooo Langoneeee…I thought he went away?! No? Michael…”like Kraft singles”…artificially colored, pseudo, wanna-be cheese?…actually…the perfect metaphor you used for him!
    There were no words. He took his “best” poser traits from last season…and brought it back in full force. Now, I hope he goes away again. It was painful to watch. But then…I never could take watching him.

Comment by Amy – May 2, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i actually thought Stephano was good last week. He had lots of energy

Comment by TC – May 2, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • he was good performance-wise. Vocals, not so much. He could do better. Then again, that song does him NO favors.

Comment by Sha – May 2, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Skylar – Proud Mary, You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me
    Phillip- Fortunate Son, Time of the Season
    Joshua- Ain’t to Proud to Beg, You are So Beautiful
    Jessica- River Deep, Mountain High, To Love Somebody
    Hollie- The Letter, Bleeding Love

Comment by Jane – May 2, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dave Mathew’s Band covers Time of the Season

Comment by Jane – May 2, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And why does that not surprise me.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – May 2, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I saw in an interview that Barry Gibb originally wrote “To Love Somebody” for Otis Redding but he died before he could record it. It’s intended to be a soulful song. I think Joshua could really do that great song even more justice. “The Letter” has Josh written all over it as does “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me” for Hollie. “Bleeding Love” has to be Jessica’s song and “Proud Mary” for Skylar. That’s all I’m going to guess, as I’ve probably completely butchered my guesses

Comment by TC – May 2, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sorry, I meant to say “The Letter” has Phil written all over it

Comment by TC – May 2, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kind of interesting that we assume:
    Proud Mary means Tina Turner, but it’s also a CCR song.
    The Letter means Joe Cocker, but it’s BoxTops song. And given a jazz spin by Eva Cassidy.
    River Deep, Mountain High means Tina Turner, but it’s also a Celine song. And Annie Lennox. And before all of them Eric Burden (“House of The Rising Sun). His version is SO P2!!!

Comment by Name That Tune – May 2, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And thinking about it, P2 doing River Deep, Mountain High will get Randy so worked up, he’ll have to pull out “The Artist” card again.

Comment by Name That Tune – May 2, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think Dave Mathew’s has ever done a Version of “River Deep/ Mountain High”, how ever will Phillip know how to sing it?

Comment by Jane – May 2, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanna see Joshua doing “You are so beautiful” & “Proud Mary”. P2 will probably do The Letter.

Comment by HairLikeATeddyBear – May 2, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Zombies’ “The Time of the Season”? Really? Boy, there’s a blast from the past.

I’m a little late but here are my predictions:

Ain’t too Proud to Beg – Joshua
    The Letter – Hollie
    Proud Mary – Skylar
    Fortunate Son – Phillip
    River Deep, Mountain High — Jessica

To Love Somebody – Joshua
    Time of the Season– Phillip
    Bleeding Love – Jessica (Lord forgive me, I detest that song!)
    You Are So Beautiful– Skylar