Ratings: Gossip Rises, Zombies Liven Up Castle, The Voice, DWTS and Five-0 Eye Lows

The CW’s sudsers and Castle saw the largest percentage gains this Monday, as Gossip Girl (with 1.05 million viewers and a 0.6 rating) and Hart of Dixie (1.3 mil/0.6) each rose 20 percent (or a tenth) in the demo, while ABC’s cop drama (11.4 mil/2.4) rose 14 percent.

With most of CBS’ sitcoms on the upside as well, this is the first time since The Voice uncorked Season 2 that the Eye (averaging a 3.1) has won Monday in the 18-49 demo.

RECAP | The Voice Semifinal Performances: Run, Baby, Runs

Going hour by hour….

8 pm | Both Dancing With the Stars (15.8 mil/2.7) and The Voice (9.4 mil/3.5) dropped to set new lows for performance shows. How I Met Your Mother (7.9 mil/3.2) and 2 Broke Girls (9.1 mil/3.5) both rose in audience and in the demo. What I felt was a kinda-weak episode of Bones (7 mil/1.9) fell 14 percent in the demo.

RECAP | Dancing With the Stars: Whatever Happened to Class(ical)?

9 pm | CBS’ Men drew 11.3 mil and a 3.7, slipping a tenth in the demo, while Mike & Molly (10.2 mil/3.2) upticked a few percentage points. A rather fantastic episode of House (6.6 mil/2.1) — kudos to director Hugh Laurie, seriously — was steady in audience but dipped 9 percent in the demo.

RELATED | Two and a Half Men‘s Ashton Kutcher, Jon Cryer and Angus T. Jones Set For Season 10

10 pm | Hawaii Five-0 (10.8 mil/2.5) dipped a tenth to a new demo low yet eked out the win versus Castle on that front in the hour. Smash (5.4 mil/1.8) was down 10 percent, hitting new lows.

What were you watching this busy Monday night?

1. Jillian says:

It was NOT a weak episode of Bones. It was an awesome episode. It just wish the ratings were better.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

We’ll agree to disagree ;) I thought the Case of the Week was all over the map and lousy with cornpone stereotypes.

• pyk says:

That’s what made it funny. I just wish they did more with the the case instead of rehashing the same Max drama in a new form

• Roscoe says:

I agree with Matt on this one. The hillbilly stereotypes, even with that one good-old-boy squint, are often overblown by the writers.

Also, I personally don’t care about who watches the new baby. I realize they decided to write it into the show rather than hiding Emily’s tummy, but please get back to the good stuff.

• Jillian says:

The character interaction was pretty awesome though. I thought that they played Brennan’s and Max’s relationship very well… and you can totally just tell how in love Booth and Brennan are.

• Bob says:

Have to agree with MWM on the massive West Virginia stereotyping. Unfortunately, the Hollywood types associate large areas of real estate in the country to a particular stereotype (everyone from Massachusetts talks like they’re from Boston, everyone in Pennsylvania between Philly and Pittsburgh is Amish, everyone in Minnesota talks like the characters in Fargo, etc).

• Ava says:

To be fair, I live in Pittsburgh and have lived here for my entire life, to me the only thing between here and Philly are Amish people and the rest stop mecca of Breezewood. In my rational mind I know that there is a lot more but I just don’t think of it that way.

• lbw says:

I agree with Matt. I’m a huge Bones fan, but this episode didn’t do it for me.

• Maggie says:

Matt,
        I not only agree with you about Bones, but also about House as well.

Wouldn’t it be ironic if Hugh Laurie got a Emmy nod this year for directing and not acting. I have a sad feeling that Laurie will never get an Emmy for his amazing acting as one of the all-time great TV characters.

2. Alex says:

I really don’t know what FOX was thinking when they switched Bones to Mondays at 7 (Central time for me). Of course the ratings are going to fall when you put it up against The Voice, How I Met Your Mother, AND Dancing with the Stars.

And I’m pretty happy about the ratings for Castle. :) I could only expect another rise next week after that monster of a promo.

• Ava says:

WAsn’t Bones on Thursday at 8 before? I’d argue that the Thursday at 8 timeslot is WAY harder than the Monday at 8 time slot.

3. sofia says:

Bones really needs to move to Thursday nights again. If next season it’s still on Monday nights it will most definitely not be renewed for a 9th season, and that can’t happen.

4. pyk says:

Bones is already renewed, so I’m not TOO worried about the time slot this year. I just hope it gets better next year

• Ros says:

Bones will get better when they give “Seeley Booth” more action shots. And for God’s sake, please buy the man some new suits. Those jackets are ridiculously short on him!

5. typhoonred says:

Castle is up because ABC finally decided to put some advertising behind it! We are force fed promos from CBS and NBC but nothing from ABC! Love Castle and Caskett!

• anita says:

…and Castle could use a GOOD lead in show for a change. That would certainly help its ratings. If people would just give it a shot they’d have to love it. Best Show Ever!!!

• Shaun says:

Dancing with the Stars?

• Jillian says:

DWTS is about the best lead in they could have. I don’t know what other good lead-ins there are. Also, Castle’s ratings are fine. They aren’t the best, but they could do a lot worse.

I started to watching Castle this season, but I’m still not crazy about it.

• jane says:

You shouldn’t start with this season, It was absolutely terrible and the producers are trying to make up for it by finally getting Caskett together.

• Janis Adams says:

as not in the US I only see Castle promo on facebook but from what I have read it does not seem to get the publicity it deserves and as a Caskett shipper who is very happy after last nights episode look forward to a few more seasons of my favourite show

6. wrstlgirl says:

For me it’s the judges on DWTS that is a big turn off. Carrie Ann is intolerable. I bailed on Smash this week so I could watch Castle and H50. I figured missing one eppy of this subpar show wouldn’t hurt me. I’m still shocked NBC renewed it.

7. ? says:

oh great Gg went up :/

8. JJ says:

Ouch Smash! It was a pretty good episode too.

9. Sam says:

Wow, you’d think with all that pimping–I mean “promoting,” TVLine was doing last week that House viewership would be up a little. Oh well, you guys better shove another dozen or so “articles” down readers throats in prep for the next ep, that’ll do the trick.

10. Janet Snakehole says:

It was the BEST episode of GG last night. I hope viewers come back to it. Keep going up! Yay!

• rubytu says:

It was great, wasn’t it! I can’t wait til next week.

• Ava says:

I watched part of it. I just can’t stand the Dan/Blair romance. It’s not appealing. I don’t think they have any chemistry and Dan is just so unlikeable. I was glad to see Jack Bass back in action though. i love Uncle Jack!

• C Wo says:

Ditto here, can’t stand Dan and Blair— the best part of the episode was the glimmer of hope that we don’t have to endure “Dair” much longer…that relationship is extremely boring and annoying to watch at the same time. Matter of fact, Dan can go for good…just like Jenny & Eric went.

11. tvdiva says:

Castle with zombies had some pretty funny moments. The doublespeak between Castle and Beckett was cute.

12. Bethany says:

Gossip Girl was a snore last night. I feel like everyone is just phoning it in and waiting for it to die already. The only thing keeping me coming back is the Dan/Blair relationship. What happened to Chuck’s face? He looks so bloated and gross. I miss long haired, bad ass, season 1 Chuck.

13. ollie says:

loved last night ep of castle. i laughed so hard and some forward.moment to caskett. and how great alexis stayed in nyc even though she might not get as much screen time next year. just love the family scences toghter

14. slkmcs says:

@mattmitovich

The best thing from last night was your tweet to @harthanson about Suebob and Willa.

15. lea says:

loved gossip girl last night!! even though it wasn’t a big rise..the ratings went up a lot in cw terms!!! take notice gg writers: make the episode revolve around chuck and blair and more people will watch!!!

16. Velvet says:

I thought the Bones epi was fun. I love it when Max shows up.

17. Velvet says:

Bones on Monday means I don’t have to wait until Thursday. I like the new exciting Monday lineup. I watch:

Bones
    Hart of Dixie
    Eureka
    Castle
    Lost Girl

18. rubytu says:

Gossip Girl
    House
    Smash
    Eureka and Castle dvr for later
    Gossip Girl was wonderful! absolutely wonderful!
    Robert Sean Leonard did a great portrayal of suffering. I suppose those makeup people helped a lot. He was good.
    Ivy sang like she never sang before! Awesome. So beautiful. Rebecca was a terrible Marilyn. The show is about “the heartbreak of the theater” so I suppose it’s too much to hope for any good things for Derek and Ivy.

19. sam says:

One of the best episodes of Castle last night EVER.

NBC should wake up and move the voice to tuesdays – no reason that it should face the CBS comedies and Dancing with the stars when Tuesday is free and clear of any reality competition. It’s sinking week to week and these are the final two shows!

20. leigh says:

I thought Castle was fantastic! Great lead in to the season finale. Can’t wait!

21. tp says:

I have watched Bones since episode 1 and enjoyed up until last season. I wish they would let Brennan grow as a person and not just in her relationship with Booth. I can’t stand the way she’s rude and offensive to people but when someone calls her a bytch, Booth wants to jump to her defense. I hate to jump ship but she is wearing on my nerves. If she wants so much respect in her field then respect others. Child care providers need to be respected…they have your most valuable possession.

• emmalinesadie says:

Bones used to be appointment TV for me and if I couldn’t watch in real time, would watch the DVR’d episode ASAP. No more. Some weeks, it takes days for me to gather up the enthusiasm to watch. This season has ruined it for me. Besides the Brennan rudeness you cite, last night’s kiss in the field about had me ready to throw up. How totally unprofessional and out of character for Brennan. This show has basically lost me any more; even the crimes aren’t as good. The only thing saving it for me is the supporting cast (although not Daisy, can’t stand her or her relationship with Sweets).

22. Jules says:

BEST EPISODE OF [H]OUSE !
    Amazing performance by RSL…and HLaurie too -of course, did a super job directing it…simply priceless!
    Every scenes together was powerful…amazing chemistry..

Pizza/shot of whisky “box” battleship, seriously! Genius…
    And that ending was irresistible& sarcastic..
    Hangover “House’s style”😜

• Jill says:

major agreement with you. Last night’s House episode was very powerful and heart wrenching, it had me in tears and LOL, great drama. And that little girl was totally adorable as TPOTW. If the last three eps are as powerful as this. Then the show will go out very well indeed. Great directing by Mr Laurie, is there anything that man can not do! :)

23. Nicole says:

I watch Bones and my favorite show is Castle. I love when Ryan ONeal is guest staring as. Max. Castle is my favorite I thought this was a good episode to have before next week’s finale. There was a lot of subtext between Castle and. Beckett.

24. Jillian says:

Well, I hope the ratings go up for Bones in the finale. It looks like it’s going to be really good and angsty.

25. Krystan says:

If they want to help Fringe out then they should put it on after Bones like in the old days. The Friday night death slot is no place for a struggling show. I could not be happier about it’s final season pick-up, but it deserves a better time slot.

26. SunA says:

I can’t wait for Castle next week. Finally Castle and Beckett:)
    Wow. The crossover didn’t help Hawaii FO at all. CBS is really trying with this show, weekly guest stars, crossover and strong lead in. Nothing helps. The show is down.
    Wish abc helped Castle the same way.

27. Em J says:

Oh Castle how brilliant you where yesterday! xD Honestly I was scared and laughing! The Caskett moments where a bonus I will admit I was at first looking forward to the “Always” promo more than the episode but gosh it was great! Also gosh is the “Always” promo lets just say the whole fandom went crazy when that was aired xD I was squealing and trying not to shout my heart out! Started to nearly hyperventilate and you know what the worst part is? I have only been a fan of Castle nearly a year! xD I don’t know what the ones that have been since day one is feeling! probably 10 times more then me!
    I really hope that blind item was them I still have doubts BUT the rating of next week is bring me less doubt! xD

28. bad kevin says:

Last night’s H5O/NCIS: L.A. crossover episode rocks and I can’t wait for the conclusion tonight and while the news broke on the stars of Two and a Half Men back on board for Season Ten, it may end up being its last if CBS is going to prove them wrong.

29. Alex says:

I cannot get over how DUMB Gossip Girl was last night. Chuck’s dad is alive?.. Really? Ugh.

• katy917 says:

I called that weeks ago, was too predictable and way boring! And Blair’s reaction was so OTT is was silly – screaming and looking terrified, like she was in a slasher movie. I actually loved the episode, but found the ‘twist’ to be a major let down!

30. Crystal says:

Loved Gossip Girl last night. So glad that the ratings went up for such a wonderful episode. Chuck and Blair were amazing!

31. sarah says:

I’m glad that Gossip Girl’s ratings improved because it was a good episode and they deserved it!!

32. nan says:

I loved Castle, cannot wait for Always but Bones is a let down from season 6. I am not waiting impatiently for Bones anymore. Everything in this series is forced and awkward DB and ED were more comfortable around each other in earlier seasons and the interviews then on screen as full grown couple. Brennan is so robotic after great season 3 and 4 not believable at all. My obsession is staying with Castle and the hot kiss from Canadian promo cannot wait. GO CASKETT!!!!!!