Ratings: Gossip Rises, Zombies Liven Up Castle, The Voice, DWTS and Five-0 Eye Lows

Get More: News, Ratings

The CW’s sudsers and Castle saw the largest percentage gains this Monday, as Gossip Girl (with 1.05 million viewers and a 0.6 rating) and Hart of Dixie (1.3 mil/0.6) each rose 20 percent (or a tenth) in the demo, while ABC’s cop drama (11.4 mil/2.4) rose 14 percent.

With most of CBS’ sitcoms on the upside as well, this is the first time since The Voice uncorked Season 2 that the Eye (averaging a 3.1) has won Monday in the 18-49 demo.

RECAP | The Voice Semifinal Performances: Run, Baby, Runs

Going hour by hour….

8 pm | Both Dancing With the Stars (15.8 mil/2.7) and The Voice (9.4 mil/3.5) dropped to set new lows for performance shows. How I Met Your Mother (7.9 mil/3.2) and 2 Broke Girls (9.1 mil/3.5) both rose in audience and in the demo. What I felt was a kinda-weak episode of Bones (7 mil/1.9) fell 14 percent in the demo.

RECAP | Dancing With the Stars: Whatever Happened to Class(ical)?

9 pm | CBS’ Men drew 11.3 mil and a 3.7, slipping a tenth in the demo, while Mike & Molly (10.2 mil/3.2) upticked a few percentage points. A rather fantastic episode of House (6.6 mil/2.1) — kudos to director Hugh Laurie, seriously — was steady in audience but dipped 9 percent in the demo.

RELATED | Two and a Half Men‘s Ashton Kutcher, Jon Cryer and Angus T. Jones Set For Season 10

10 pm | Hawaii Five-0 (10.8 mil/2.5) dipped a tenth to a new demo low yet eked out the win versus Castle on that front in the hour. Smash (5.4 mil/1.8) was down 10 percent, hitting new lows.

What were you watching this busy Monday night?

Comments (60)

• It was NOT a weak episode of Bones. It was an awesome episode. It just wish the ratings were better.

Comment by Jillian – May 1, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We’ll agree to disagree ;) I thought the Case of the Week was all over the map and lousy with cornpone stereotypes.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 1, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s what made it funny. I just wish they did more with the the case instead of rehashing the same Max drama in a new form

Comment by pyk – May 1, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with Matt on this one. The hillbilly stereotypes, even with that one good-old-boy squint, are often overblown by the writers.

Also, I personally don’t care about who watches the new baby. I realize they decided to write it into the show rather than hiding Emily’s tummy, but please get back to the good stuff.

Comment by Roscoe – May 1, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Here, here!

The new squintern is supposedly from NC (me, too!) and he makes me cringe every time he is on screen.

Comment by Amy – May 1, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • He’s so sweet though. I love him.

Comment by tp – May 1, 2012 11:13 AM PDT
      • The character interaction was pretty awesome though. I thought that they played Brennan’s and Max’s relationship very well… and you can totally just tell how in love Booth and Brennan are.

Comment by Jillian – May 1, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Have to agree with MWM on the massive West Virginia stereotyping. Unfortunately, the Hollywood types associate large areas of real estate in the country to a particular stereotype (everyone from Massachusetts talks like they’re from Boston, everyone in Pennsylvania between Philly and Pittsburgh is Amish, everyone in Minnesota talks like the characters in Fargo, etc).

Comment by Bob – May 1, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • To be fair, I live in Pittsburgh and have lived here for my entire life, to me the only thing between here and Philly are Amish people and the rest stop mecca of Breezewood. In my rational mind I know that there is a lot more but I just don’t think of it that way.

Comment by Ava – May 1, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with Matt. I’m a huge Bones fan, but this episode didn’t do it for me.

Comment by lbw – May 1, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Matt,
        I not only agree with you about Bones, but also about House as well.

Wouldn’t it be ironic if Hugh Laurie got a Emmy nod this year for directing and not acting. I have a sad feeling that Laurie will never get an Emmy for his amazing acting as one of the all-time great TV characters.

Comment by Maggie – May 1, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t know what FOX was thinking when they switched Bones to Mondays at 7 (Central time for me). Of course the ratings are going to fall when you put it up against The Voice, How I Met Your Mother, AND Dancing with the Stars.

And I’m pretty happy about the ratings for Castle. :) I could only expect another rise next week after that monster of a promo.

Comment by Alex – May 1, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WAsn’t Bones on Thursday at 8 before? I’d argue that the Thursday at 8 timeslot is WAY harder than the Monday at 8 time slot.

Comment by Ava – May 1, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones really needs to move to Thursday nights again. If next season it’s still on Monday nights it will most definitely not be renewed for a 9th season, and that can’t happen.

Comment by sofia – May 1, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones is already renewed, so I’m not TOO worried about the time slot this year. I just hope it gets better next year

Comment by pyk – May 1, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bones will get better when they give “Seeley Booth” more action shots. And for God’s sake, please buy the man some new suits. Those jackets are ridiculously short on him!

Comment by Ros – May 1, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle is up because ABC finally decided to put some advertising behind it! We are force fed promos from CBS and NBC but nothing from ABC! Love Castle and Caskett!

Comment by typhoonred – May 1, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …and Castle could use a GOOD lead in show for a change. That would certainly help its ratings. If people would just give it a shot they’d have to love it. Best Show Ever!!!

Comment by anita – May 1, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dancing with the Stars?

Comment by Shaun – May 1, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • DWTS is about the best lead in they could have. I don’t know what other good lead-ins there are. Also, Castle’s ratings are fine. They aren’t the best, but they could do a lot worse.

I started to watching Castle this season, but I’m still not crazy about it.

Comment by Jillian – May 1, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You shouldn’t start with this season, It was absolutely terrible and the producers are trying to make up for it by finally getting Caskett together.

Comment by jane – May 2, 2012 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • as not in the US I only see Castle promo on facebook but from what I have read it does not seem to get the publicity it deserves and as a Caskett shipper who is very happy after last nights episode look forward to a few more seasons of my favourite show

Comment by Janis Adams – May 1, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For me it’s the judges on DWTS that is a big turn off. Carrie Ann is intolerable. I bailed on Smash this week so I could watch Castle and H50. I figured missing one eppy of this subpar show wouldn’t hurt me. I’m still shocked NBC renewed it.

Comment by wrstlgirl – May 1, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh great Gg went up :/

Comment by ? – May 1, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ouch Smash! It was a pretty good episode too.

Comment by JJ – May 1, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, you’d think with all that pimping–I mean “promoting,” TVLine was doing last week that House viewership would be up a little. Oh well, you guys better shove another dozen or so “articles” down readers throats in prep for the next ep, that’ll do the trick.

Comment by Sam – May 1, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was the BEST episode of GG last night. I hope viewers come back to it. Keep going up! Yay!

Comment by Janet Snakehole – May 1, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was great, wasn’t it! I can’t wait til next week.

Comment by rubytu – May 1, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watched part of it. I just can’t stand the Dan/Blair romance. It’s not appealing. I don’t think they have any chemistry and Dan is just so unlikeable. I was glad to see Jack Bass back in action though. i love Uncle Jack!

Comment by Ava – May 1, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ditto here, can’t stand Dan and Blair— the best part of the episode was the glimmer of hope that we don’t have to endure “Dair” much longer…that relationship is extremely boring and annoying to watch at the same time. Matter of fact, Dan can go for good…just like Jenny & Eric went.

Comment by C Wo – May 1, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle with zombies had some pretty funny moments. The doublespeak between Castle and Beckett was cute.

Comment by tvdiva – May 1, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gossip Girl was a snore last night. I feel like everyone is just phoning it in and waiting for it to die already. The only thing keeping me coming back is the Dan/Blair relationship. What happened to Chuck’s face? He looks so bloated and gross. I miss long haired, bad ass, season 1 Chuck.

Comment by Bethany – May 1, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol what a pathetic comment

Comment by samantha – May 1, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Right. How dare someone express an opinion you disagree with. Get a life and show a little respect.

Comment by tripoli – May 1, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loved last night ep of castle. i laughed so hard and some forward.moment to caskett. and how great alexis stayed in nyc even though she might not get as much screen time next year. just love the family scences toghter

Comment by ollie – May 1, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @mattmitovich

The best thing from last night was your tweet to @harthanson about Suebob and Willa.

Comment by slkmcs – May 1, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m onto something, right?

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 1, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You very well maybe. It is also possible that Willa was the runner up.

Comment by slkmcs – May 1, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loved gossip girl last night!! even though it wasn’t a big rise..the ratings went up a lot in cw terms!!! take notice gg writers: make the episode revolve around chuck and blair and more people will watch!!!

Comment by lea – May 1, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s really magic when Chuck and Blair are together. They have chemistry.

Comment by rubytu – May 1, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the Bones epi was fun. I love it when Max shows up.

Comment by Velvet – May 1, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Bones
    Hart of Dixie
    Eureka
    Castle
    Lost Girl

Comment by Velvet – May 1, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gossip Girl
    House
    Smash
    Eureka and Castle dvr for later
    Gossip Girl was wonderful! absolutely wonderful!
    Robert Sean Leonard did a great portrayal of suffering. I suppose those makeup people helped a lot. He was good.
    Ivy sang like she never sang before! Awesome. So beautiful. Rebecca was a terrible Marilyn. The show is about “the heartbreak of the theater” so I suppose it’s too much to hope for any good things for Derek and Ivy.

Comment by rubytu – May 1, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the best episodes of Castle last night EVER.

NBC should wake up and move the voice to tuesdays – no reason that it should face the CBS comedies and Dancing with the stars when Tuesday is free and clear of any reality competition. It’s sinking week to week and these are the final two shows!

Comment by sam – May 1, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Castle was fantastic! Great lead in to the season finale. Can’t wait!

Comment by leigh – May 1, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched Bones since episode 1 and enjoyed up until last season. I wish they would let Brennan grow as a person and not just in her relationship with Booth. I can’t stand the way she’s rude and offensive to people but when someone calls her a bytch, Booth wants to jump to her defense. I hate to jump ship but she is wearing on my nerves. If she wants so much respect in her field then respect others. Child care providers need to be respected…they have your most valuable possession.

Comment by tp – May 1, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bones used to be appointment TV for me and if I couldn’t watch in real time, would watch the DVR’d episode ASAP. No more. Some weeks, it takes days for me to gather up the enthusiasm to watch. This season has ruined it for me. Besides the Brennan rudeness you cite, last night’s kiss in the field about had me ready to throw up. How totally unprofessional and out of character for Brennan. This show has basically lost me any more; even the crimes aren’t as good. The only thing saving it for me is the supporting cast (although not Daisy, can’t stand her or her relationship with Sweets).

Comment by emmalinesadie – May 1, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST EPISODE OF [H]OUSE !
    Amazing performance by RSL…and HLaurie too -of course, did a super job directing it…simply priceless!
    Every scenes together was powerful…amazing chemistry..

Pizza/shot of whisky “box” battleship, seriously! Genius…
    And that ending was irresistible& sarcastic..
    Hangover “House’s style”😜

Comment by Jules – May 1, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • major agreement with you. Last night’s House episode was very powerful and heart wrenching, it had me in tears and LOL, great drama. And that little girl was totally adorable as TPOTW. If the last three eps are as powerful as this. Then the show will go out very well indeed. Great directing by Mr Laurie, is there anything that man can not do! :)

Comment by Jill – May 1, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch Bones and my favorite show is Castle. I love when Ryan ONeal is guest staring as. Max. Castle is my favorite I thought this was a good episode to have before next week’s finale. There was a lot of subtext between Castle and. Beckett.

Comment by Nicole – May 1, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I hope the ratings go up for Bones in the finale. It looks like it’s going to be really good and angsty.

Comment by Jillian – May 1, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they want to help Fringe out then they should put it on after Bones like in the old days. The Friday night death slot is no place for a struggling show. I could not be happier about it’s final season pick-up, but it deserves a better time slot.

Comment by Krystan – May 1, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for Castle next week. Finally Castle and Beckett:)
    Wow. The crossover didn’t help Hawaii FO at all. CBS is really trying with this show, weekly guest stars, crossover and strong lead in. Nothing helps. The show is down.
    Wish abc helped Castle the same way.

Comment by SunA – May 1, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Castle how brilliant you where yesterday! xD Honestly I was scared and laughing! The Caskett moments where a bonus I will admit I was at first looking forward to the “Always” promo more than the episode but gosh it was great! Also gosh is the “Always” promo lets just say the whole fandom went crazy when that was aired xD I was squealing and trying not to shout my heart out! Started to nearly hyperventilate and you know what the worst part is? I have only been a fan of Castle nearly a year! xD I don’t know what the ones that have been since day one is feeling! probably 10 times more then me!
    I really hope that blind item was them I still have doubts BUT the rating of next week is bring me less doubt! xD

Comment by Em J – May 1, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night’s H5O/NCIS: L.A. crossover episode rocks and I can’t wait for the conclusion tonight and while the news broke on the stars of Two and a Half Men back on board for Season Ten, it may end up being its last if CBS is going to prove them wrong.

Comment by bad kevin – May 1, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot get over how DUMB Gossip Girl was last night. Chuck’s dad is alive?.. Really? Ugh.

Comment by Alex – May 1, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I called that weeks ago, was too predictable and way boring! And Blair’s reaction was so OTT is was silly – screaming and looking terrified, like she was in a slasher movie. I actually loved the episode, but found the ‘twist’ to be a major let down!

Comment by katy917 – May 1, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Gossip Girl last night. So glad that the ratings went up for such a wonderful episode. Chuck and Blair were amazing!

Comment by Crystal – May 1, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad that Gossip Girl’s ratings improved because it was a good episode and they deserved it!!

Comment by sarah – May 1, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Castle, cannot wait for Always but Bones is a let down from season 6. I am not waiting impatiently for Bones anymore. Everything in this series is forced and awkward DB and ED were more comfortable around each other in earlier seasons and the interviews then on screen as full grown couple. Brennan is so robotic after great season 3 and 4 not believable at all. My obsession is staying with Castle and the hot kiss from Canadian promo cannot wait. GO CASKETT!!!!!!

Comment by nan – May 4, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post