Once Upon a Time Recap: Woodn't You Know It...

ABC’s Once Upon a Time this Sunday threatened to take a major step in the direction of foiling the Evil Queen’s master plan and freeing the fairytale characters from their soggy little Storybrooke existence… and yet Emma still refuses to believe.

Season Finale Guide: Get Exclusive Spoilers on 54 Big Finishes

Make no mistake, August did his darnedest to show the sexy sheriff the light — and even got an assist from Mr. Gold in doing so. (How enjoyable are the scenes where two people “in the know” get to freely talk about it?) But even upon taking Emma to the site of her abandonment as a baby and producing proof that it was he who found her all those years ago, he came up empty. Not helping matters was the fact that when he went to play his stump trump card by revealing his wooden leg, Emma’s stubbornness refused to let her see it in all its hand-carved glory. Instead, she just saw a pale, slightly hair human leg. (That said, the duo’s back-and-forth escalated into perhaps Jennifer Morrison’s best performance to date, as Emma balked at her “destiny” to save not just the dying Pinocchio but everyone else in Storybrooke. Real wowza stuff.)

Oh, did I mention that August is actually Pinocchio? Though almost a foregone conclusion by way of process of elimination (i.e. he’s not Baelfire) and factoring in knot-so-subtle clues (the donkey paperweight), the reveal still delivered some magical moments, namely when Storybrooke’s Marco (aka Geppetto) bonded with this stranger toward the end of the hour, fixing a clock together as they once did back in the day.

Alas, Marco does not know of that existence, and that visibly upset August, who already and for so long has been kicking himself for abandoning Emma rather soon into his tenure as her real-world caretaker, in order to run away with some other orphans.

(As revealed in flashbacks that started with what I thought was impressive CGI of the whole whale story, the enchanted wardrobe used to protect Emma from the Evil Queen’s dark curse in fact was powerful enough save two people. Geppetto, though, leveraged his role as its designer into a “ticket” from the Blue Fairy for his newly-made-flesh son. It was kind of a dark-ish turn for the kindly man, especially when he lied to keep Snow from accompanying her newborn to safety. But his heart was in the right place and he did compel Pinocchio to assume Snow’s role as the one to make sure Emma fulfills her destiny 28 years down the road.)

Once Upon a Time Sneak Peek: Snow White Goes After the Queen!

Elsewhere, Regina made a calculated bid to sexually prey on David now that Mary Margaret has returned to work, but he wasn’t having any of it. That should garner the guy some favor with the haters.

At the close of the hour, still reeling from her adventure with August and his impassioned plea to buy into Storybrooke’s fairytale origins, Emma summoned her partner in Operation Cobra, and asked Henry if he truly wanted to live with her, his birth mother. No sooner had the lad gushed yes, Emma put the pedal to the metal and motored the two of them down Main Street and towards the town line.

But we all know what happens when (most) people try to leave Storybrooke….

1. deanna says:

So basically, even kindly old Geppetto screwed over baby Emma by leaving a seven year old to look after a baby rather than her parent. Awkward.

• TV fan says:

I’ve got to be honest: this ruined the show for me. Not only because August is Pinocchio instead of Mr. Gold’s son, but because it makes no sense whatsover that HE was in charge of Emma, especially because, unless he fathered Henry without Emma knowing so, there was no way for him to ensure she would “fulfill her destiny” in Storybrook. There’s only so much nonesense one can take

• Tarc says:

You do realize this is a faerie tale… right?

• JoshJacksononOnceuponatimefan says:

I really thought August was going to be Gold’s son but after watching their scenes, I’m kinda glad he isn’t. The August and Gold scenes are just flat to me. I am liking August more now but compared to Emma’s scenes with MM and David. I just think Gold and August were flat on the onscreen connection thing.

• Rachel says:

I disagree – nobody in the fairy tale world seemed to know it would be Snow’s grandchild that would be “the Savior” – they kept calling Emma that. Fate just works in odd ways, and it turns out that on the Savior’s 28th birthday, she has a 10 year old son who gets the ball rolling. Why would it matter who his father is?

• edludlow says:

I reckon Henry’s dad is Mr Gold’s son instead

• CC says:

I hadn’t thought of that… good theory though and probable!

• Randall says:

That’s a really good theory!! I never thought of that twist.

• marisa_once says:

Yeah, I was thinking that too, but he would have been a bit old for Emma to hook-up with him. He was at least 14 when she was born, so that makes him 31 when she was 17…

• Margeaux says:

Terrible idea. Emma got pregnant at 17 and had Henry at 18. That would put Baelfire in his 30s at Henry’s conception and in his 40s now.

• Jack says:

Like a 17-year old never made a mistake with an older guy… This seems plausible, given what we’ve been told of Emma’s troubled past.

• ceitean says:

Didn’t Emma say that Henry’s father was a married guy? It fits.

• Terri says:

Traveling through space and time doesn’t have to be linear, especially when you’re crossing into different “worlds.”. That’s why Mr. Gold said his son’s age was a tricky question when Archie asked last week.

• dan says:

also, regardless of storyline, I can’t see them bringing baelfire back and having him the same age as Mr Gold, I reckon they will want him to be younger

• Deion says:

That would be telegraphing their punches a bit, no? How clumsy of Mr. Gold would it have been to get Henry for Regina, but miss the fact that his own son is the father? I imagine they would do something different with Baelfire. I’m calling him as the season 2 bad guy.

• Templar says:

Baelfire would be about 40 now unless he was in suspended animation. He didn’t really have a profession or trade when he disappeared. One thing bothers me, Rumple said he lost his son the same way he lost his wife. Could that mean she’s also alive somewhere? And what would that do to the Rumple/Belle situation?

• guest says:

what? eww. please no!

• G says:

The decision Gepetto made was not the best but it seems you don’t understand the fairytale. He wanted a son so much and he had finally got one. It doesn’t make him right, but we can say that because we’re here, siting in front of tv, we don’t have to make a life or death choice that will decide the future of someone we love the most, like a child. Parents do stupid things for their children, he made a mistake, he’s human. August being in charge of Emma was a consequence, someone had to do it, her mother, but Geppetto couln’t put his son in danger so August being the “guardian” was the only choice for him. I’m a person who likes puzzles and good writing, but I also like the human side of a story, character development that sometimes are so erratic if we jugde with our common sense, but if we open ourselves, our minds to the human nature, those things don’t matter how stupid or wrong it may seems, are realistic. The hard choices we have to make that can screw everything up for everyone, who didn’t make such mistake? How much those choices screwed us? How we can make up for it? Can we still make it right? So in my opinion the show is even better now. August isn’t just a good looking guy romantic interest for Emma anymore, he is part of the story with some interesting conflict and potential. I couldn’t stand him, now I’m looking forward for more.
        Sorry for any typos, english is not my first language.

• marisa_once says:

Yeah, I was so angry at Gepetto, I was screaming at the screen. I felt like telling him ‘You idiot, you ruined the whole thing’. Putting the fate of the whole farytale land in the hands of a seven year old boy was simply selfish and irresponsible. I kept thinking Emma spent her whole life in the foster system because of the man’s selfishness.

2. deanna says:

Emma is such a terrible hero. I wish the she was written better

• Lo says:

Emma is a flawed hero, and I think that’s the point.

• deanna says:

*shrug* Then she needs to stop acting like she’s the Good One.

• King's Cross says:

She’s still an idiot. I keep waiting for her to wise up a little, but it never happens. She continually falls for Gold’s and Regina’s setups and her “wins” are so tiny they hardly seem to count.

• greysfan says:

Yes that may be true but its going to come all in time. If it came all at once we wouldn’t have a 2nd season. You have to be patient. I believe she comes to her senses in the finale from the short promo i saw. Morrison is amazing playing Emma and last nights episode proved that. Yes she may be thick at times but the story has to roll out. If it doesn’t then we get bored. I too feel like choking her sometimes but this is how it is. If she believed after what August said then it would start getting pointless. It did sort of feel like a letdown but trust the writers here. They know what they are doing.

• writertwin says:

Exactly . . . and last night proved that Emma has grown a bit but is essentially a girl who ran from her troubles over the past 28 years. But I cringe to think what Emma will say to Marco when she realizes she could’ve had her own mother all these years. Instead, she got cute-but-unreliable PInocchio as her only friend in the world.

I’m with the Baelfire-as-Daddy camp! Guessing he is the one who (maybe accidentally) got her landed in jail.

• Sierra says:

I’m with ya Deanna! Yes, she is flawed, but she doesn’t seem to learn much from her previous mistakes of too easily trusting people or as is the case here, underestimating Regina and the powers that be around her. I think if there is anything she could have done to ensure she never gets custody of Henry, it was “kidnapping”/running away with him. I understand the girl is in bit of a jam, but why would she ever think that was the right idea??

• Mary says:

But that’s just it. She’s not thinking. She’s still reeling from the idea that she’s supposed to save everyone.

• Templar says:

It isn’t just that. In the past she’s been able to rely on her sense of when someone is lying. However, it doesn’t work in Storybrooke, so that asset is useless. She’s flying by the seat of her pants.

• Gem says:

Remember these are the same writers of LOST we’re talking about. Jack was a frakked up mess of a man but he was still the ‘hero’. When Emma’s denial begins to turn to curiosity I think we’ll start seeing her true self and all the crazy layers that go along with. Personally I’m looking forward to it!

• King's Cross says:

Yes, but Jack wasn’t an idiot. Emma never seems to learn from her myriad of mistakes. And for a former bounty hunter and current sheriff, she’s far too trusting, especially of people who make no pretense of being trustworthy.

• Sorry, but Jack was a totally idiot and a tool. He denied everything until it was physically impossible to do so. He was one of the stupidest characters on that show.

• Total, not totally. Stupid auto correct.

• King's Cross says:

1) Your words don’t imply “sorry,” so don’t write it. 2) Jack’s denial didn’t make him an idiot and he wasn’t stupid. He consistently learned from his mistakes throughout the show. He made many a misstep and bad decision and his stubbornness was very annoying, I grant you. But those things do not make him an idiot. 3) Emma has made many mistakes (and the same ones) again and again. Her denial, like Jack’s, doesn’t make her an idiot. Her inability to learn from her own mistakes does.

• The “Sorry” is in reference to the fact that I was about to make a statement that contradicts/disagrees with your previous statement. It’s a common colloquialism left over from the times when to disagree with a statement was handled with more regard to the other persons feelings. Obviously it doesn’t happen often on the internet. With regard to Jack he never learned from his mistakes. He bull headedly went on doing things his own way because he was so sure that he could fix things and he was always right. He and Emma are polar opposites in that respect. Emma is having a panic attack because she is sure she can’t fix anything and she is sure that her judgement is wrong. I never said that Emma is a smart character, she has made some huge mistakes. I just said that Jack was stupid. I think at this point the problem is more that Emma doesn’t want to believe and instead of not seeing the clues that point to the truth she is desperately rationalizing them away because she doesn’t want the responsibility that comes with the truth. She has now had two adults and a child press the truth on her and despite the non-magical rational she has been raised with she is starting to see things that are cracking her certainty which is scaring the hell out of her because she doesn’t even want responsibility for her own life let alone a whole freaking town. I think the writers are doing a great job of chipping away at her defences. Instant gratification is over rated and present way too often in televison.

• Blaine says:

I’m not sure I understand why you would watch a show where you can’t stand the hero.

• DSteevens says:

She just bores me at this point. Same goes for mom and dad. They’re all so entitled and wanna-be goody-two-shoes kind of characters. They need some serious character development.

• Marc says:

Emma is MADDENING in her stubborn-ness. Really, it’s ridiculous the way she treats people in the face of so many obvious ‘facts.’ She won’t even STOP running her mouth-of-denial long enough to reasonably LISTEN to what someone has to say. Can we just kill her character now, please??

• Butters says:

I agree with your written better part. I compare the character to Kate on Lost. Such promise with the character major problems with writing it. I hope the Emma character does not face the same fate as Kate. Basically a character you were suppost to like but just ended up annoying the crap out of the viewer.

• Alice says:

Aw, I still liked Freckles. (Good thing too, or else I would have been really annoyed all the time, how exhausting. :) ) But I think if they are not careful Emma is going to turn out like Baby Aaron- the magical baby everyone jumps over hoops to protect, must not be raised by another, everyone had big, big expectations for…who then never really lives up to his potential.

3. wendy says:

Geppetto needs to have a discussion with Walter Bishop over at the Fringe division about choosing your own child over the well-being of your whole world.

4. tvaddict says:

I just hope by the finale, she starts to believe. It is gonna get real old if every week, someone tries to convince her of the truth and she still won’t believe

• Amy says:

I think at this point it’s not so much that she flat out doesn’t believe as she doesn’t WANT to believe. She doesn’t want to face being the savior, she doesn’t want everyone’s happiness to rely on her breaking the curse. It’s easier for her to deny there being anything to believe in because that (in her mind) clears her of any responsibility.

• LaurenMC says:

If someone told me my mother was Snow White I wouldn’t believe either. I can under the need for more proof!

5. Patty says:

I don´t get how Mr. Gold knew that August was Pinocchio, if in the last episode he thought he was his son. And now he is well aware of his story as Pinnochio. That would mean that he knew he was alive in the real world, because if not, he would be a boy.

Also I really liked the story with Regina, it didn´t feel forced. Looking forward to the finale! :)

• jenna says:

I’m curious about this as well. Also is August’s leg always wooden or is that something that comes and goes? (ie. when it turns wooden he starts feeling that pain)

• Larry says:

I thought it was revealed in the episode that August learned that Emma was in Storybrooke because he started feeling the pains in his leg. Pinocchio was made human by magic and there is no magic here. So when time started up in Storybrooke -so did his time staying human. Eventually I would assume he will become fully wooden if Emma doesn’t start believing. In a sense, Austin is on borrowed time.

• Templar says:

Gold would have to have known that Pinocchio wasn’t with Gepetto/Marco. Once he knew August wasn’t Baelfire, process of elimination [who else isn't here?] he may have suspected August’s true ID.

6. jasmine says:

Wow, could Emma be any whinier? Sheesh. There’s flawed and there’s just plain old annoying

• Tamara says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels that way. I understand that it’s all a bit much for Emma, but I still miss the Emma we got to see during the first half of the season. Right now the show’s doing a pretty decent job turning me against the heroine.

• TV FAN says:

I was so annoyed by Emma last night but I understand she does not want to be the Savior the town needs. She is not ready for it. I wonder once the “curse” is broken does everyone get a happy ending so easily or is there a twist to it. At some point the “curse” will have to be broken but does not mean a happy ending will occur so easily.

7. tvdude says:

Didn’t August and Emma leave Storybrooke? Didn’t Henry leave Storybrooke in the pilot episode? They aren’t affected by the curse and can pass freely. So technically they should be fine when leaving the town. If something does happen, then it’s flawed writing.

• Mary says:

No it’s not. If you watched the promo (which is already on YouTube), Henry grabs the steering wheel because he wants her to stay in Storybrooke to break the curse.

• Templar says:

They can leave if they intend to come back. Only when the plan is to abandon Storybrooke do bad things happen.

• Rachel says:

No, I’m pretty sure none of the fairy tale characters can leave at all. It’s just Emma, Henry and August who can come and go.

• Suzie says:

In an earlier episode they said Gold went to Arizona and brought Henry back for Regina.

• Templar says:

When Emma tried to leave the first time, the wolf caused her to crash. Because she didn’t intend to return. Kathryn crashed because she was going to Boston for good. Henry went to Boston to bring Emma back [intent to return].

• Mary says:

@Suzie. They never said that Gold left and went to Arizona, just that he got Henry for Regina. We don’t know yet how he got Henry.

• seras says:

i think you misunderstand. they CAN leave. it’s just a cowardly thing for her to do, and henry is obviously against it.

• Tarc says:

Henry can leave because he was born in the non-magic world, but now that Emma and August are in Storybrooke, I’m not sure that they can.

• Rachel says:

They just did last night, when they went to the highway where he found her.

• Domi says:

Emma and August can leave because they were saved from the curse by the wardrobe… Henry can leave because since he is Emma’s son, he is also unaffected by the curse. (Notice that these are also the only characters who age in the “non-magical” world). I suspect that Mr. Gold may also be able to come and go since he created the curse.

• songbyrd86 says:

I don’t think Mr. Gold can leave, as the curse applies to him as well, creator or not. He created it to find his son which is what his end game is. I suspect he’ll mastermind things to delay returning to fairytale land until he does find his son. Mr. Gold has access to the internet just as well as everyone else does…he didn’t have to physically go to Phoenix to get Henry.

That being said, was anyone else confused as to why if this world has no magic (as they so demonstrated last week with the whole trying to command Rumplestiltskin thing) why does Regina still have magic? She has that room of hearts where she can crush them and kill said heart’s owner… I’m confused.

And can someone please do a DNA test on Mary Margaret and Emma and prove that Emma is her daughter already???? Give Emma some of THIS world’s proof. We have science – they have magic….you’d think she wouldn’t be able to refute that one.,.. :)

• Templar says:

First, I don’t believe Regina knows that Emma is Snow’s child. Second, in that town how could anyone rely on test results when so many previous things have been tampered with?

• songbyrd86 says:

August can leave town…he just needs to get samples from both of them and get them to someone outside of storybrook Meh It’s worth a try! lol And I don’t think Regina knows they’re mother and daughter either – but august does.

8. I agree Matt the scene with Emma and August was probably Jennifer’s best performance so far. I really enjoyed that scene because it was full of different emotions and as apart of the audience you wanted to make sure you heard every word of what happened because you didn’t want to miss out on that scene because it was THAT good. I really hope in the future, the Once Upon A Time cast participates in different conventions other than Comic Con where they can interact with the fans maybe come to Canada since the show is filmed Vancouver. Anyways, it was an awesome episode and I am very excited to see what the writers bring next!

9. Morrison may have done a decent job with the material, but it is beyond frustrating to continue to see the writers drag out Emma’s denial of her role. In our recap we address that she’s obviously not just going to jump in, but after twenty episodes, it kinda ridiculous that she hasn’t even begun to question things.

I think I just hate the character…

• jb says:

I can understand your frustration, but it taken a long time makes sense to me. I think most people in our world would be hard to convinced that fairy tale characters were cursed to live in our world.

• marisa_once says:

So true! If you told me you’re a fairy tale character cursed to live on earth, I would think you’re crazy…

10. The child actors in this episode were very effective, when Pinocchio left baby Emma behind it really broke my heart.

11. kathy says:

IT WAS ONE OF THE POOREST EPISODES YET? THEY COULD OF MADE AUGUST CAPTAIN HOOK OR A FRIEND OF GRIMMS BROTHERS. ALSO, I NOTICED THAT DAVID WAS PLEASED THAT QUEEN MADE A PASS AT HIM. POOR EMMA, I WOULDN’T WANT TO SAVE A TOWN THAT DROP ME OF AT A TREE WITH A HUMAN PUPPET AS A BABY. WITH HER BEING RAISED A REG. BABY IT ISN’T SURPRISING THAT SHE DON’T BELIEVE IN FAIRY TALES SO EASY.

• Larry says:

I disagree. I think it was one of the best. And it propelled the story forward more then most episodes. I don’t get why people are having so much difficulty in allowing the story to progress as it should. We all are smart enough to know that this show is built around the breaking of the curse. How can they accomplish this in the very FIRST season. I’m expecting that the next chapter of this story will be Emma believing and trying to figure out how to break the curse. But we will get to that point. People seem to have NO patience whatsoever in allowing producers to tell their story the way they see it. We want everything settled and tied up in a nice bow and delivered to us all nice and pretty. But a good story has layers upon layers like a novel. If you want a quick resolution then skip the show and watch the series finale. I, for one, am enjoying watching each chapter and seeing the evolution of the show and it’s characters.

• Crystal says:

Thank you!

• marisa_once says:

Yes, thank you. People have no patience for tv shows these days. That is why most of them watch procedurals. Because at the end of each episode, you get the whole storyline tied up in a nice little bow. But that doesn’t always make for great tv. If you want great, you have to earn it and be patient.

• Christy says:

I was enjoying it, until I noticed too many contradictions….the most glaring of all being Emma’s “superpower” that allowed her to tell whenever anyone was lying to her. Somehow it worked with hansel and Gretel and Henry, but fails for Sidney/magic mirror, Regina, etc. I don’t need everything tied up in a pretty little package right away, but I am not willing to commit 5-6 years to a show before it decides to move the story along. I think the problem is that the endgame is breaking the curse and it seems like there will be limited action until you get to that point. Obviously the producers want to drag it out to make more $$$ and syndicate the show, but with a concept like this, I think it will come at the expense of the story.

• Heather says:

We were told at some point that Emma’s emotions get in the way of her ‘superpower’. Last night was a pretty heavy and emotional episode for her so I never expected her superpower to come into play. I can’t remember where the producers mentioned that but it does make sense. Every time she lets her emotions get the better of her, she can’t tell when someone’s lying or not and this is probably the first time in her whole life that her emotions have been so out of wack so she doesn’t even realize that yet. I think this coming week and next week are going to be HUGE turning points for Emma and that the season will end with her finally believing some of the things she’s seen in Storybrooke. (And mad props to Jen Morrison for being so awesome last night. She was fantastic especially with those scenes in the forest with August. I think if I had everyone telling me I’m supposed to save a whole town from some fairy tale curse, I’d be freaking out and in total denial about it too.)

• Kathy says:

I YOU REALLY READ WHAT SAID CAREFULLY, THE WRITERS TOOK THE EASY WAY OUT OF THIS. AUGUST ONLY SHOWED ONE LEG, AND WHO HE REALLY IS AS A PERSON COULD OF BEEN TOLD NEXT SEASON. ALSO, HE COULD OF SHOWED HENRY HIS LEG, TOO, SO HE COULD SEE HOW EVERYONE ELSE SEES HIS LEG WHO LIVES IN STORYBROOK. AS I SEE IT THEY NEED TO GET EMMA TIME TO GET OVER FUTURE ANGER ISSUES WITH BEING ABANDING AS A BABY, SENT TO FAMILY TO FAMILY, THE HARD LIFE SHE HAD ALL HER 28 YEARS OF YOUTH. ALSO, DISCOVERING THAT AUGUST HASN’T GIVEN A HOOT FOR OVER 28 YEARS!!! ABOUT HER AND STORYBROOK UNTIL LEG STARTED TO TURN TO WOOD OR/AND HAD PARTICAL CONFLEX SEIZURES THAT HE STARTED TWO SHOWS AGO. THE QUEEN IS EVEN NICE TO EMMA THEN AUGUST!!! AND SHE IS A MURDER IN ANY WORLD. AS FOR THE CURSE IN THE TOWN, THE LONGER IT IS IN EFFORT THE BETTER BECAUSE IT WILL TAKE TIME FOR EVERYONE TO GET AJUSTED TO BE THEIR OLD SELVES WHEN IT HAPPENS INSTEAD OF BEING HUMAN BEINGS AND THEY CAN BRING OTHER GRIMMS TALES LIKE SHOW WHITE AND RED ROSE, SMART GRETAL, PRINCESS & THE FROG, PETER PAN, PETER AND THE WOLF (AS RED RIDING HOOD AS THE WOLF), SLEEPING BEAUTY, ETC…

• Kirk says:

What are 12 years old? Turn off your caps lock. Your rant is very childish, your spelling is atrocious, spacing and punctuation are a mess. Clean up your act, please.

• Kathy says:

Kirk, please take you foot out of your mouth. As for my spelling I have learning disabilities which I had since I was a child. Millions of americans have. I do my best to spell, and express my opinions and my age is none of your business, I really don’t care if you approve with my last sentence being a run-on and my spelling is perfect enough for you or anyone else. Your nastiness is very unbecoming and your reply to my post reflects on who you really are as a person. ALSO FOR NOW ON I WILL BE GOING BACK TO TYPING IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE IT IS PAINFUL FOR MY FINGERS AND HANDS TO TYPE BOTH IN UPPER AND LOWER CASES.

• jen says:

i understand your frustration a bit. but august was 7 years old. in the pilot,emma described her plight in the system. a beautiful baby is easy to place in a good home. but what chance would august have had? probably no adoption,growing up with that creepy caretaker? most likely, they would have been separated(remember hansel & gretel and emma’s fears about them). so he took a chance to escape. he did want to take emma but the others said no. i don’t blame august at all. as an adult, he seems kinda cynical,hardened,been there done it. his life must have been a living h— just trying to survive.

• LaurenMC says:

• Tansy says:

Please turn off your caps lock. As for August, there is or was nothing magic about the Brothers Grimm. They were just men who collected folk tales and put them into book form, although Jakob G. did write Snow White. Many of the characters in OUAT are not even part of the tales the Grimms collected.

• Kathy says:

TANSY, MY REPLY TO KIRK, GOES TO YOU TOO, INCLUDING IT HURTS MY FINGERS AND HANDS TOO MUCH TO DO UPPER AND LOWER CASES. SORRY ABOUT THAT.

• jen says:

i was NOT a fan either of his being pinocchio. but i loved this episode. agree it was jennifer’s best performance yet. that scene in the woods was so emotionally intense. when august says “you’re our only hope” and she replies “then you’re all screwed.”,felt like a roller coaster ride. but the best for me,was the reunion(courtesy of that “dearie” mr gold) between august and marco had me in tears. wow.

12. Juan says:

August, Henry and Emma are not affected by the curse.
    The flaw is not in the writing, it is from people not taking notice in that glaring fact.

13. angelstorm says:

I’m confused about one thing though – what was that whole story Regina gave about finding David at the side of the road ? Is this at some point before he was found by Emma/Mary Margaret ? Or am I forgetting/missing something ?

• jb says:

he was originally found by Regina, she’s the one who brought him to the hospital (or so she claims) as a John Doe, that all happened prior to Emma arriving in storybrook.

• Rob says:

When David was in a Coma in the hospital in the beginning of the season it was mentioned that Regina found him.

• Ella says:

Yes, Regina is the one who allegedly found David. In the episode where he wakes up from his coma, Regina is called because she is listed as his emergency contact because she was the one who found him. But we don’t know exactly how true her story was, seeing as Charming was already knocked out when the curse was enacted.

• Babs says:

I always assumed that David was in a coma in this world because when they transitioned from Fairytale Land to Storybrook Charming had been stabbed and near death. Regina created the story of finding him so she would be the first one contacted if he ever woke up.

14. A says:

This had to be one of the best performances by Jennifer Morrison on this show. The entire scene with August in the woods was amazing.
    While I do get frustrated that Emma still refuses to believe, I think the way she is acting is pretty realistic. I mean she’s gone 28 years with no real knowledge of anything but the human world she has lived in.
    If the people in my town started telling me I was the saviour for the fairy world, I’d think they’re all nuts and that I need to get out of that place. So her denial is understandable.
    And also it make sense that they are dragging out her believing. I mean do you really want her to believe after one season and then there wont be much to go on but breaking the curse

15. Beanergirl says:

Although we’ve not established that he is in this ‘world’ – would be interesting if Baelfire was Henry’s father.

• Terri says:

It’s possible. Henry’s father was a firefighter. Maybe Baelfire is, too, in the real world.

• Sugar_bloom says:

A bit doubtful that bae is Henry’s dad cuz bae is really kind with a very good heart. But from the way Emma described Henry’s dad, he sounds like a complete loser… Bae doesn’t seem like the kinda guy who would sleep with a girl then leave her…

• Templar says:

Well, here’s what I see. Baelfire was 14 when he fell through the vortex. This had to be years before Rumple gained all of his wealth and power. And years before Snow met Charming. This was long before the curse was laid and he would have aged normally as Booth and Emma did. Emma was only 18 when Henry was born, so Bael would have been much older. Even if he was in suspended time [which does not compute] he would have been in his thirties when he seduced or forced himself on 17 year old Emma. Even now, she’d be 28 and he’d be in his 40s. This doesn’t seem in keeping with Baelfire’s noble character. JMO

• Anne says:

The theory I’ve seen in other boards is that we do not know when Baelfire appeared in “our world.” It was never specified, so it might be possible for him to appear after Emma has already made it through. I’m not sure why Baelfire being Henry’s father is such a popular theory, but it would be interesting to see it develop and explained, if that is the case.

• Templar says:

I believe a lot of fans of the show are just desperate to know what happened to Baelfire. They also really want to know who Henry’s father might be and are convincing themselves that it must be someone from Fairytale. I hope not. I hope Henry’s father never gets written into the script. And if everyone eventually ends up back in Fairytale, I hope Emma ends up with Sheriff Graham.

• Terri says:

I like the Baelfire as Henry’s father theory because it’s tidy and connects the “missing” character back to Storybrooke. Baelfire is the reason Rumpel gave Regina the curse in the first place. He had obviously been waiting a Very Long Time for the opportunity to try the curse. ,

• Beanergirl says:

Although you never really know what being abandoned by your father on a beanstalk does to a guy!

16. I thought the episode was excellent and moved the story forward to bring it closer to the season finale. Great take on the Pinnochio story. I honestly don’t get all this harsh criticism. Morrison did deliver her finest performance of the season! I loved what Mary Margaret said to Regina – about how she must be so miserable to be like she is.
    I also am glad David rejected Regina’s advances. Did she fake the whole car broken down thing and story about finding him? I would say yes.
    You can tell Regina is getting desperate as things are changing and not quite going as she would like!

• Templar says:

Did you not see that when she picked up the note that said MOM off the table, there was no writing inside? Of course she planned the entire thing, because of what MM said to her in the schoolyard.

• Patty says:

Yes I thought it was weird that Henry would leave a note that said Mom, because he was mad at her. I have never heard him call Regina mom.

17. JoshJacksononOnceuponatimefan says:

Finally Prince Charming does something right in our world.

18. Nick says:

Best episode of once ever

19. belle98 says:

Reblogged this on Television's Fantasty Series and commented:
    Fantastic episode and I am more than happy that August is Pinocchio and I think this will make for some fantastic episode later on.

20. Rachel says:

I’m glad we at least got an answer about August, but I think he’s in way over his head with convincing Emma. It makes for some good confrontations, though. I was really hoping she’d be able to see his leg…

21. Babs says:

So did Regina use magic to create the “note from Henry” to guilt David into staying for dinner? If so, then magic does work in Storybrook – as least for her.

• Sugar_bloom says:

No magic in storybrooke remember? Im sure She just planted the note there before she left home to lure david back in

• Deion says:

I’m sure this was just part of her plan, but Regina can do SOMETHING, like how she used the heart of the Woodsman she had locked up to kill Sheriff Graham.

• Anne says:

I don’t think there was an actual note from Henry at all. To me, it seemed that Regina planned to guilt David from the beginning, so she wrote MOM (which Henry never calls her) on a piece of paper to make it seem like Henry left her a note. The camera pans to an empty note when she “reads” it. It’s not magic, just plain ol’ deception…

22. Lauren says:

It’s funny, if they leave Storybrooke, there’s no way Regina can come after them.

• Tamara says:

I’m not sure Regina (and Rumple) are bound by the curse. They are the ones who created and enacted it after all. And I always assumed they had to leave Storybrooke to get Henry. It’s not like an adoption could be handled over the internet or the phone.

23. greysfan says:

Wow what an episode that was. So Emma thinks she can take off with Henry. Maybe she will finally realise the power of Storybrooke? Either way i can’t wait for the final episodes of the season. I hear a lot is going to happen. I knew Emma still won’t believe but it will happen but when is another question. I knew August was Pinocchio. I tipped that way back when they were saying who is this person.

• greysfan says:

Oh and i must say don’t get all the Morrison hate. She was brilliant in this episode. Why are you all out to get her?

• Blackbird says:

I don’t think it’s about Morrison at all. It’s about Emma, the character. And I can relate to that. I don’t expect her to believe everything August told her and to suddenly turn into a perfect white knight or something along those lines. But the writing for her character was way better during the first 10 episodes of the season. Right now I’m nowhere nearly as emotionally invested in her character and her story anymore as I would like to be, considering she’s supposed to be the heroine.

• Marc says:

Yeah. You’re great.

24. Angel says:

I liked the episode, especially toward the end when August offered to be Geppetto’s assistant in his wood shop. I wish Emma would believe already. I was upset that she couldn’t see August’s wooden leg, because she refuses to believe. As for Mr. Gold acting like he knows who August’s identity really is…you have to remember that he really knows who he is, and helped Regina with the curse, so he would know who was who in the other world, and if someone was missing. He also probably figured it out when August confessed to him the week before that he was dying and needed magical help. Overall I like how the final episodes are leading to something big, and my favorite scene in the whole episode was little Henry telling Regina off! That good always wins. Way to go kid.

• songbyrd86 says:

Mr. Gold played it like he knew, but he didn’t really – he posed a question and took in August’s reaction….which only confirmed what he had suspected but didn’t really know. Plus I think you’re right, he would’ve known who was missing. I also liked Henry teling off Regina but I especially like that we got a bit of Snow White to come out in Mary Margaret and she stood up to Regina as well. Is she waking up a bit? Woo hoo I was so happy when both of them just gave a beat down to Regina back to back. Absolutely wonderful.

25. Jennifer says:

Emma’s disbelief has gone beyond ridiculious! She’s sounding more and more like Morrison’s self-rightious character on House whom I loathed. GET OVER YOURSELF ALREADY, EMMA! Buy a ticket to use-your-imaginenationland! Did she learn nothing from Mad Hatter??
    I don’t condone what Geppetto did but I understand why. Any parent would be desperate to save their child, he only did what Snow and the prince did.
    I loved the scene at school wih MM and Regina, I almost applauded MM giving it right back to Regina. About time MM got some backbone with that woman, however, major creep-out points to Regina putting moves on David.

• @ Jennifer says:

Why don’t you take your self–righteous hate to the House fandom,
      And stay there no need to fallow her here if you don’t like her.
      we don’t need this kind of bitter trolling here.

• Kath says:

Poor Emma. She doesn’t know she’s in a TV show. She thinks she’s in the real world.

How many of us would accept that everyone in the town that we live in is really a fairy tale character?

26. JD says:

The only people/characters that know the truth are Regina, Mr Gold and August. Henry thinks he knows the truth, but Emma is just going along with the story to help Henry. Nobody else knows the truth about Storybrook, so I find Emma’s disbelief very understandable. Nobody proved anything to her, just theories and the book.

27. tvdiva says:

I am being patient with this show. I assume the producers and writers are giving us back stories in season 1, and all heck breaks loose in the finale to kick off season 2 juicyness. I do believe even if Emma breaks the curse, it is not as easy as everyone in the know in Storybrooke thinks it will be. There will be some complicated, complex happenings, some dysfunctional relationships – not everyone is going to live happily ever after. If they did, there would be no reason for a season 2. Emma and August had no adult figures to guide them into well balanced adulthood. Hence they both run when it comes to taking responsibility, and selfish when they choose what things they will be responsible for. I am waiting for those two to grow up. Gepetto was a scared father who wanted to save his son, but a man who did not think clearly. What seven year old child would take care of a baby when they need to be taken care of themselves? I hope the finale and season 2 brings us three things: 1) Mr. Gold’s son, Henry’s Father and 3) the Mad Hatter back.

28. lauren says:

emma’s strong resistance is starting to wear on me, especially after how many people now have mentioned fairy tale characters, another world, etc. to her. shouldn’t she be somewhat suspect of this since she’s heard it so many times now!?

29. Sandi says:

I don’t focus on this show enough to disect it as well as the rest of you but I just have to say that this is my favorite show on television right now. I do wonder about myself that Mr. Gold is, by far, my favorite character.

Anyone else wonder how this show can have longevity? I mean, eventually Emma will have to figure out that the curse is real and then where does the show go from there?

Also, I have a question for you faithful followers. How did Henry become enlightened to the truth of the fairy tales? I never quite got that and I’ve been watching since episode 1. What caused the epiphany that made him realize that Emma was his mother and everyone else in town was a story book character?

• Templar says:

I can’t give you a thorough analysis, but here’s my take. Henry knew he was adopted. He’s been there since he was 3 weeks old. He’s gotten older while all of the other kids at any given age have not. Mary Margaret gave Henry the book of tales which I presume came from Gold’s shop. This is all because the prophesy says that Emma will begin to break the curse in her 28th year. Henry, dissatisfied with how things are and, getting ideas from the book, begins to see correlations between people in town [Storybrooke!] and the characters in the book [Red and Granny, Gold, the pawnbroker and Rumplestiltskin, etc.]. He starts to believe the book is about the people in town and that they are enchanted. He searches for his birth mother on the internet and seeks her out. The rest you know.

30. FirstMate says:

Did anyone else notice the Oceanic Airlines plane that flew overhead when Pinnochio ported into this world from the magic tree?

31. Mikael says:

I think Emma will slowly start to believe. We saw a glimpse of that with the Mad Hatter. She can see some correlations, but like they stated in the last episode, it’s not that she DOESN’T believe, it’s that she doesn’t WANT to believe. Soon she won’t be able to deny it anymore, but like others have said, it’s only the first season and it’s not even over yet. I bet season 2 will have her believing, and then getting the town to believe one by one.

And I LOVED the Oceanic Airlines plane flying overhead!! Any nod to Lost on this show is great! I’m still waiting to see that Storybrooke gets its supplies from the Dharma Initiative :)