Will Matthew Perry Stay In Good Wife's Race for Governor, Despite New NBC Sitcom Gig?

Don’t fret, Good Wife viewers: Matthew Perry will still be there for you come fall — if he has his druthers.

Perry’s character on the CBS drama, loathsome lawyer Mike Kresteva, recently entered the race for governor of Illinois, and in doing so promised to give rival Peter Florrick everything he’s got — including headaches for Alicia and the kids, if need be.

Yet Perry’s sitcom pilot, Go On, has already been ordered to series by NBC, to premiere in the fall. Will the in-demand Friends alum be able to pull double duty (akin to how Raising Hope‘s Martha Plimpton juggles Good Wife guest spots)?

“That is my hope,” an emphatic Perry told TVLine at the Saturday night taping of Comedy Central’s Comedy Awards (airing May 6) — especially since it’d fulfill his desire to keep things interesting.

“In the last five years I’ve tried to do a mix of comedy and drama, so it’s been really fun to play a kind of sociopathic jerk lawyer,” he said of his Good Wife run. “It’s a fun character for people to sort of root against, and The Good Wife is one of my favorite shows, so it’s all been very cool.”

Season Finale Guide: Get Exclusive Spoilers on 54 Big Finishes

As for NBC’s Go On — in which he plays a sportscaster who, while trying to move on from a loss, finds solace in group-therapy sessions — Perry was admittedly agog that it got the green light so early, while most every other pilot out there is just now being scrutinized by their respective networks.

“I’ve never heard of that happening before,” he marveled, “so it was exciting.”

Review TVLine’s Network-By-Network List of Pilots Competing for the Fall TV Season

The Good Wife airs its Season 3 finale tonight at 9/8c.

1. greysfan says:

It got the green light because A: it had Perry attached and B: because this is NBC desperate for anything. Personally i think he is great on The Good Wife and it would be a shame to have him leave. He is the character you love to hate if you know what i mean.

• Daniel alvarez says:

Agreed! I seriously doubt Go On could be a success… Anything is a success this day in the NBC programming :S

• amelia j. anzolut says:

Know what u mean…M.P. is perfectly cast in the Good Wife role (it really is about casting for those of you who think it is only about money) and it is a great story line for a terrific show. Rather see M. P. in drama than sitcom any day of the week. Your fans are with you M.P. AJA

2. ChicagoDan says:

Perry clearly doesn’t know the business: “I’ve never heard that before.” Really? Try “The Firm” on NBC and we saw how that turned out. Good thing you’re hedging your best by staying on TGW.

• nietoperz says:

I love the Internet. Only here can armchair quarterbacks say stuff like this with a straight face.

Anyway, one feels fairly sure that Perry knows the business rather better than any of us do.

3. nikki says:

Awesome. I love MP on The Good Wife.

4. Saint Alicia says:

Glad Perry has a main gig (aside from recurring on TGW), hopefully that means the vile Mike Kresteva won’t be around too much. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a great villain, but because he’s such a piece of work featuring him regularly would be off-putting (for me anyway).
    Can’t wait for the finale tonight!

• Lauren says:

I agree, I think he would be better in small doses anyway, as long as he keeps showing up, he’s a great villain. Speaking of, really excited to see Patty back soon!

• Castle Lover says:

I completely agree with you. He’s great, but only in small doses. Too much Mike Kresteva would be exhausting.

5. watcher says:

he doesn’t need the work … the cast still gets north of $25 million a year each from worldwide syndication of Friends.

6. joaopedromillan says:

I hope he stays in TGW.His character is very interesting. And I love is work in drama, i would love for him to do more.

7. lbw says:

Considering how NBC loves to cancel shows after just a couple of episodes, it’s a good idea to hang on to his Good Wife gig.

8. Sarabi says:

He’s wonderful in the TGW role!

9. karenbills says:

I wonder why I am just receiving this today, Monday.

10. Nichole says:

Was disappointed to read this article, was secretly hoping that MP’s character would become another Lockard/Garnder saving partner next season, the thought of all the good conflict episodes between MP’s character and the others at the firm had me jumping up and down with glee!!!

Plus as much as I love TGW, not sure where it could go next season that it hasn’t already been without adding in some new permanent characters to the mix. Have to say though, in terms of guest spots, the show really pulls in some good ones!