Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch Takes a Shot at Downton Abbey – Does He Have a Point?

Oh, my dears — Downton Abbey is under attack by one of its own again.

Just days after Abbey‘s leading lady, Elizabeth McGovern, took a swipe at the PBS hit’s polarizing second season, Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch has voiced his own disappointment with the show’s sophomore run.

In an interview with the New York Times to promote the May 6 return of Sherlock (which, like Abbey, is co-produced by PBS Masterpiece), Cumberbatch recalled an incident at the Golden Globes in January where Masterpiece exec Rebecca Eaton playfully taunted him with the statue Abbey had just won. “I just looked at it and went: ‘Begone, woman,'” he recounted. ‘Bring it back when it says Sherlock or [Sherlock creator] Steven Moffat or myself — someone else who’s more deserving than the second [season] of Downton Abbey.'”

“I know too many people who are in [Abbey],” Cumberbatch said, before adding diplomatically. “I thought the first series was good. That’s what I’ll say.”

Shocker: Downton Abbey To Kill Off [Spoiler]?!

Earlier this week, McGovern raised eyebrows when she admitted to the Los Angeles Times, “Abbey in the first season was more to my taste than the show in the second season.”

She later told TV Guide Magazine that her comments were “taken out of context and misinterpreted… I was in no way criticizing the second season or implying that I loved or enjoyed it less.”

All the hullabaloo raises the question: Do you think the criticism surrounding Abbey‘s second season is justified? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Controversy, News

1. Jane says:

I’ve never seen Downtown Abbey but considering the first season gained so much hype, it’s always a lot of pressure to follow with a second season.

2. Yes, Series 2 was beyond awful, a parody of itself, which is a shame as I loved the first series. If you want good period drama, watch the second series of the Upstairs Downstairs reboot, sadly that’s been cancelled.

3. Annie says:

…am I the only one that liked season 2 better? WWI added a lot emotionally for me. And some of my favorite episodes are from S2, like the Christmas Special and the ep where Matthew and William come home during the benefit concert while Mary is singing…

• Elle93 says:

I loved Series 2. The whole WWI aspect, although sad, was a nice addition.

• nyguy says:

Season 2 matched Season 1 except for the horrid amnesia/dead relative episode and too many trips to the garage for a boring subplot. Cumberbatch is a lovely actor but a PR nightmare if he can’t control the verbal diarrhea. War Horse could be bashed just as easily sir, it wasn’t all it could be either. He’ll hopefully learn in time but I fear this won’t be the last of his stupidity. It’s one thing to act out a good script and another to speak extemporaneously to the press.

• DL says:

His comments were hardly as inflammatory as you’re making them out to be. Dramatic much?

• KevyB says:

He’s a d-bag. I hate ANY actor that trashes the writing of a show. It is about a billion times harder to create a good script than it is to read it in front of a camera. Though Elizabeth McGovern proves week after week that reading it in front of a camera isn’t all that easy.

• Pat says:

” his STUPIDITY? ” Benedict is not stupid. I thoroughly enjoy both shows. If I had to choose just one it definitely would be Sherlock. Just my personal opinion but I liked series one of Downton Anby better than series two.

• CJ says:

The only problem I had with Season 2 was that it felt as if they were rushing through about 3 times as much story. All the events of the second series could’ve made series 2, 3, 4,and maybe 5. Instead, we’re going to get series 3 which will zoom farther ahead, and if they do further series they’ll end up covering Matthew and Mary’s grandchildren wearing bell bottoms and listening to the Beatles.

• Tess says:

I agree with that assessment…the only thing I would say was bad about it was that there was far too much time covered for one season – though I would have to assume this was in order to get beyond the war by season’s end. The only storylines that didn’t work for me were Lord Grantham kissing the maid and and Ethel’s whole subpolt about sleeping with the soldier and getting knocked up because she wasn’t a character I cared about enough to have so much time devoted to her. But otherwise, I thought it was great and I don’t get all the fuss about it not being as worthy as season 1.

• Magically Suspicious says:

I thought that Lady Grantham’s change in personality was out of nowhere and unbelievable. Her drastic change in character made the subplot with Lord Grantham and the maid believable to me, but otherwise I agree with your comment completely.

• GDV says:

I like S1 better, but S2 was still really good (and better than most things on TV). But I don’t get the whole Golden Globe thing. Downton won that Globe for S1, not S2 (since S2 didn’t even air in the states until January, right?). So the Globe was definitely deserving!

• Jess says:

I liked the WWII storylines and loved the Christmas Special (although I don’t think that counts as series 2), but i didn’t think season 2 was as good as season 1. I mean, that entire episode with the dead cousin coming back was terrible. I rolled my eyes so many times they almost got stuck that way. I’m rolling them right now just writing this.

• Jess says:

oh and the whole wife-blackmailing-fighting-ensues-then-she-dies thing was ridiculous. I love Bates and Anna together (mostly because I love Anna), but it was so soapy!!!

• Michael says:

That was my one complaint. The woman was too devious and self-serving to kill herself as the ultimate payback. Otherwise, I did love the second season/series.

• History geek says:

Er the backdrop to season 2 was World War 1, otherwise known as the Great War- not WW2

• Pattie says:

I loved series 2 as well. This is one of my all-time favourite shows. I can’t wait for the next series.

• kim mack says:

I feel the same way.. I loved the first season. Watched it all the way thru on Netflix on kindle. Can’t wait til season two. LOVE IT

• Sarah-G says:

Flip no!!! I personally think season 2 flowed on beautifully on from season 1. In season 2, we saw and learnt so much more of and about the characters…nay, season 2 was a masterpiece, like season 1. :D

4. grhea says:

It wasn’t as good as the first and had too many gimmicks. Still excellent television but no where near the first series.

5. Bobbi says:

Neither one of them specified what they didn’t like about the second season so how can we critique what they felt? I thoroughly enjoyed both seasons. Tell me what they’re complaining about and I’ll form an opinion!

• Ben says:

I agree. Some people have felt they didn’t like the second season as much. But having seen it with my own eyes, I cannot agree that the standard is significantly worse. I think any difference comes mostly from the fact that the war was a necessary part of the timeline, which created plotlines which are a little cliched, while also splitting up the cast. People liked the way in whicht he show was about an interplay between upstairs and downstairs, I think, and broadening the horizon to further afield diluted that story. But it was a necessary evil, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see people praising season 3 again as it doesn’t have the war in it.

6. tahina says:

Now I feel so downhearted by this. I have yet to watch it but I have lined up the 2nd season with Niteflix/..but I loved the first season too much just to miss the 2nd one…the hell with them! :)

• Bobbi says:

Definitely don’t make a decision based on their opinions. If you enjoyed the first season, you owe it to yourself to watch the second. Yes, it is different and there are one or two elements I probably could have done without, but as I said earlier, I thoroughly enjoyed both seasons. Had they been virtually the same, how boring that would have been!

7. Mindy says:

They are right. Season 1 was way better. No shame in saying you liked one season more than another. Well, maybe Elizabeth McGovern shouldn’t have said that, since she is employed by the show. But still….

8. Lisa says:

Sounds like sour grapes from Cumberbatch to me. I loved the first season of Downton and am enjoying the second immensely. The attention to detail AND the plot AND the wonderful acting are all Globe-worthy for me.

• Sour grapes? Kinda funny considering the guy is the star of his own series (drawing 10 mil. viewers each ep), won the Olivier Award this year, worked on a movie with Spielberg last year and is both in Jackson’s The Hobbit and Abram’s Star Trek sequel. Yes, he has a reason to be sour. LOL. I want to be as sour as he!

• Saint Alicia says:

It would be easier to view his comment as an objective assessment if Cumberbatch hadn’t also said about Sherlock (in the same interview no less, which TVLine conveniently left out):
        ‘”I’m desperate for America to really take to this,” he told The New York Times. “It has taken it into its heart as a cult thing, but I’d love it to hit the mainstream this time. Because I just think it’s of that quality, and it belongs there.”
        Cumberbatch added that he was envious of the success enjoyed in the US by Downton Abbey,recalling an incident…’
        Hard to argue with that.

• rowan77 says:

Cumberbatch is riding very high on his own success and is more in demand now that most American actors. Just because he wants Sherlock to have great acclaim here in the states doesn’t mean be begrudges Downton Abbey it’s success. Sherlock (save for one episode in the first season) is one of the smartest shows on TV. It’s beautifully written, wonderfully acted and the second season expanded the scope beautifully. It deserves to be more than a cult success here in the US. The show is just stunning.

And he’s absolutely right. I saw the 2nd season of Downton Abbey last fall while I was in the UK. Julian Fellows was rushed into writing a second year without having enough time to do it. The network wanted to cover more ground and what they got was incomplete plotting, characters behaving against their nature and stilted dialogue. He needed more time, but they rushed into production so he had no choice. He had time to write the 3rd season properly, so I assume there will be a return to quality. It’s okay to be a fan AND be discerning.

• Tatjana says:

Have you seen Sherlock? It is fantastic, he is fantastic

• Irish_Sheep says:

Sour grapes? He was obviously joking (he said begone woman for crying out loud!)

9. GeekFurious says:

Yes, the second season suffered greatly in story telling and my interest level. Why? Because it was about the filthy rich patting themselves on the back for their sacrifice to the war effort. Ho hum. Oh and the only one of them who dies? THE POOR BOY! Lame. Season 1 was interesting because you were essentially observing the filthy rich and the lives of the people who worked for them. When it is new, it is compelling. But it quickly wears off. Plus, season 2 is too centered on the men. The women are many times more interesting.

10. Mcat says:

My heart skipped a beat when you said Sherlock was returning on May 6, but then I realized you just meant the American airing of the second season. Sad.

11. I don’t think season two is as good as season one, but in no way do I think it was horrible or anything. It was okay, and still better than most of the stuff on tv.

12. Jacob says:

Yeah, there’s nothing wrong with liking one season over another (just ask any Wire fans). I enjoyed the crap out of season 2, but it did feel a bit much at times with convenient deaths and the like, but I still found it compelling and fun. I don’t get why “swipes” need to be made from anybody. Rather childish.

13. Jennifer says:

I’m a big fan of Downton Abbey and I’m the first one that jumps to defend the show and I can admit that the second series was a mess sometimes but Benedict’s comment sounds to me as childish bitterness that Downton is more culturally relevant. I’ve seen both shows and I can give praise where it’s due to the people involved in Sherlock (even Moffat who is the worst) but they have to stop with this holier-than-thou attitude and get off their high horse. Sherlock is a highly successful show but it’s nowhere near as the global hit that is Downton Abbey. Get over it and show more dignity. The best ones in the business don’t care (or at least don’t show if they care) about awards and they’re happy to root for other people (especially if they know said people).

NOW I WANT MICHELLE DOCKERY TO GET AN EMMY NOMINATION EVEN MORE NOW.

14. Jimmy says:

McGovern was expressing her opinion. Whether she should have done that or not is for someone else to decide. Cumberbatch ends up sounding childish. As for the second season of Downton, it had some flaws. I was growing weary of the Mary and Matthew story after awhile and I thought the character death was a little too obvious. Still, it was enjoyable and I’ll gladly watch Season 3 as we head into the roaring 20s.

15. Barbara says:

How strange is it to have wathched season 2 of Sherlock BEFORE all Americans??!!! Shall we give some spoilers to Ausielo???

• Ellie says:

Not all Americans! The true American Sherlockians found a way to see them. There was no way I was going to wait 4 whole months to see Series 2!

• mary says:

I was actually desperate enough to watch a good chunk of it in 32 second increments on YouTube! Painful! Can’t wait for next Sunday night!

• Anne says:

^ THIS! I usually watched each of the episodes the day after they aired in the UK. It’s the Internet, for goodness’ sake!

• Pat says:

Oh yes, we true American Sherlockians saw them when they were aired in UK. Like you there was no way I was willing to wait 4 months. Now I will watch and DVR all Series 2 again. I have already pre-ordered Series 2 from Amazon.

Some body help me out… The quote “Begone woman” is from which Shakespeare play?

16. Amy V. says:

They were very right about the second season. Although the whole of season two wasn’t terrible — Mary’s story arc, in particular, was nicely done — the writing was on nowhere near the same level of subtlety or originality. WWI was drained of most of its horror, every single relationship point (aside from Mary and Matthew’s) was hammered over and over and OVER again, and dull, predictable story elements were given more time than the few bits of original story that would have been more interesting to explore (such as the maybe-pretender who claimed to be the heir to Downton, or Edith’s illicit romance with a local farmer). That said, I feel sure Cumberbatch was only joking, but it sounds wrong out of context and he’d probably have done better not to say it. McGovern would have to judge for herself whether she should criticize! But they’re not wrong.

17. Bren says:

As a series, Sherlock has delivered consistent, higher quality television than Downton Abbey has. Sherlock’s second series was masterful, even better than the first. Series two of Downton was truly dismal, only saved by the Christmas special. I don’t think it is sour grapes at all.

18. Guest says:

Seriously I don’t think people here realise that he was half joking when he said that! Did ‘begone woman’ not tip anybody off?

19. Mary Beth says:

Never seen both but I have a feeling this could be a BIG celebrity feud that is about to begin or has started

20. TV Gord says:

I’m partway through the second series/season, and I find it to be consistently good. I think some people just like to arbitrarily decide THIS thing isn’t as good as THAT thing. Silly.

21. Elle93 says:

Without Series 2, there wouldn’t be much of Branson. Thus LOVE SERIES 2!

22. JL says:

Mr. Cumquat sounds a bit like a di@k, doesn’t he. My guess is that he learned that from his boss, Steven Moffat, who almost always comes across as a bit of a di@k. Moffat is that guy who reads anything and everything that contains his name and absorbs all the positive, and lashes out and attacks anything negative.

23. He was obviously joking around, and may I remind the writer of this article that he’s never appeared on Downton Abbey? Just because two shows are shown by PBS’ Masterpiece doesn’t mean they have anything do with each other.

By the way, this is what I posted earlier this week on the same topic:

I see his point entirely. The “I’m paralyzed and can never get it up again” thing with Matthew neatly fixing itself just so there could be a love scene between him and Mary next series (and babies so there’s heirs,) the weird and unsolvable question left hanging with severely burned Patrick-isn’t Patrick-might be Patrick episode, Daisy’s constant protesting that she didn’t love William, Sybil’s tripping off with the Irish coach, and Lord Grantham’s momentary and out-of-place fling with the chambermaid while his wife was upstairs attempting to die of Spanish flu…yeah. Second series, not as good as the first one.

• hawaiikaos says:

Oh goodness yes. This is exactly my criticism with the second series–you’ve hit all the salient points. Fellowes pulled his punches. He set up conflict and tension then completely deflated everything by effectively setting everything back to zero by the end (except for William).The series was great (acting, directing), but the writing kind of stunk. Hopefully Cumberbatch’s and McGovern’s comments annoy and spur Fellowes to do better with series 3.

24. Pamela says:

To be fair to Downton Abbey, he got it wrong in that the Golden Globe was awarded to the show for its first season, not its second. Yet, I am with him on his view of the second season. It was a pale imitation of the first. Soap-opera storylines, clunky dialogue, characters changing personalities left, right and center, only leavened by the quality of some of the acting.

Whether he should have said it at all is questionable given he was being interviewed for the purposes of promoting his own show. Not particularly wise, perhaps, but candor can be refreshing. Just get your facts right though, Benedict, before you irreverently comment to the NY Times!

25. bad kevin says:

Heard about Downton Abbey. The series is truly one of a kind and I want to know on when the new season begins on PBS if Ausiello wants to know or maybe Matt perhaps?

26. RD says:

Sherlock is absolutely the best thing TV has produced in recent times.And Cumberbatch could not be any better-he’s perfect!

27. Barb says:

Of course he feels Sherlock should be paid attention to – it’s as great as a t.v. show could be. The “begone woman” shows he was exaggerating his “outrage”. That’s the problem with the written word because it doesn’t show the humor behind what is being said or a sarcastic comment or any number of things.
    Benedict will be in New York this week with a PBS get-together and maybe someone will ask him about all this angst about it. He does have a right to say the 2nd season wasn’t as good as the first as many people have. That wouldn’t stop them from liking the show. And he does know people in it because their Christmas Show had Timothy Carlton as a judge – who happens to be his father.
    He seems to be loved by the people who work with him and for any who have not seen him or have not read about him – it might be different reading something like that. He’s funny and a great storyteller. Give him a chance and “Sherlock”. The first season was Great and have heard the 2nd one is maybe even better. There’s a 2nd season that did work as it should.

28. dukeroberts says:

Season 2 was not as good as season 1, but so what? That happens. It’s still better than most everything else on TV. Sherlock is too, but it’s not without its faults either. I didn’t care for The Hounds of Baskerville episode from season 2 and I never did like the portrayal of Moriarty or Mycroft. Moriarty was irritatingly annoying and Mycroft is all wrong. At least the series is better than those crappy Robert Downey Jr-Jude Law movies.

29. I LOVE SEASON 2. PERIOD. I think the whole WWI plot is awesome. And the Christmas Episode was perfect in every way.

30. Niles J says:

Wow… So quick to judge and condemn someone for expressing an opinion… Which, if folks read the entire NYT article, was probably said in jest. If you liked Downton Season 2, terrific … you are entitled to your opinion as well. Both Sherlock and Downton are great entertainment… Let’s enjoy or not enjoy as we wish. Why the stirring up?

31. Kristi says:

Definitely think criticism of the second season is in order. It wasn’t as tightly plotted out and a few of the storylines felt rushed and needlessly shoe-horned in. The first season was flawless in my opinion, the second had many, many flaws, BUT – I enjoyed it all the same and loved it just as much!

32. Astrid says:

I did love the first season more than the second. But i adore downton abbey anyway!!!

33. M says:

I agree with Cumberbatch 100% – the second season of Downtown Abbey was awful. Well, there were worse things on TV, I guess, but it was such as disappointment.

So I agree with him. I also strongly prefer Sherlock to Downtown Abbey, though I don’t think you can really compare the two. I understand why Downtown Abbey was more popular in the US than Sherlock- Americans have tons of crime/detective shows and Downtown Abbey is a period drama, something they associate with Europe and the UK. Sure, you don’t get more Engish in essence than Sherlock, but maybe to wider American audiences, it was just another crime/detective show.

I must say, though, that I didn’t like some of Benedict’s comments. The whole “we deserve the award and you don’t!” was just pathetic. Maybe he was joking, but it still sounds pathetic, and he doesn’t need that sort of things. He manages to present himself as fairy intelligent, educated man, so this was just… Not cool.

• R says:

AAARRRGGGHHH FOR GOD’S SAKE. He’s English and he was being humourous. It’s called ENGLISH HUMOUR!!! Please, can we move on.

• M says:

Humour or not, it did make him seem bitter/sour grapes. Which doesn’t suit him. But I agree with him: the second series of Downtown Abbey was disappointing, to say the least. I don’t think Cumberbatch, or anybody else for that matter, should pretend it wasn’t so.

34. Barb says:

You do know that last year ‘Sherlock” won the BAFTA for best Drama – beatiing out –
    “Downton Abbey”..
    I imagine the people who know him personally laughed at what he said.

35. Silent E says:

i think the bigger question here is “What’s up with Rebecca Eaton?” Her behavior is just childish! I’m always amazed at her attitude during Q&As on Downton. She spoken badly of Maggie Smith on more than one occasion, and now she’s taunting the losers with an award? What is she, 8?

36. Kaulbach Kurt-James says:

Yes. The second series moved too rapidly. The characters grew through too much drama. You’d think the abbey was in Colorado and Alexis and Krystal were clawing at each other’s shoulder pads in a lily pond somewhere. When the stuff writes itself, you lose so much in that slipstream. Calm down, Mr. Fellowes.

37. He was so obviously joking with the exaggeration (although of course he has every right not to like the second season). I think if it had been a video interview it would have been obvious because he’s just so sweet and charming. Nice that he still has the candor of a relative newby to fame, but soon with everyone jumping on everything he says he’ll probably clam up like everyone eventually does and that will be sad.

38. Claudia says:

Cumberbatch sounds like a pompous jerk who is a bit too full of himself. It’s one thing to criticize another show, but then to prop up your own show and act like it’s the only thing deserving of awards? And the patronizing “begone, woman” takes the cake. What a sour grapes loser. Also the Golden Globes were won for the FIRST season.

39. Frank O'File says:

Season Two of DOWNTON ABBEY was watchable but not really good. Cardboard villains (like Bates’ wife) and predictable (Matthew’s paralysis) or redundant (three cross class romances, Bates’s repeated exiles) story lines. I ate it up, but don’t have many illusions about its quality.

40. Luis says:

Yes, DA Season 2 got to be too soapy. Between a war, and temporary paralysis, and marrying the scullery maid off to a dying man, and Sybil running off with the chauffeur, and Robert nearly bedding the new maid, and ALL that Mary and Matthew, you needed to rinse all the soap off after each episode. (Note that I didn’t even mention Anna and Bates!) I think Elizabeth McGovern was complaining because she wasn’t given a hell of a lot to do in S2. Hopefully, with Shirley McClaine coming across the pond as Cora’s mother, the writers will be able to remedy that.

41. scorpiosue1102 says:

I agree with BC, season 2 was not as good as season one. The whole Earl falling in love with the maid was so out of character for Grantham along with Bates’ wife, etc. All said, it was still VERY good television. Sherlock Holmes, though IMHO, is a better series. Very innovative and well done/acted. BC and Martin Freeman aka Bilbo really are wonderful actors who play well against each other.

42. Britta Unfiltered says:

Oh, it’s all so, so true. I tore through the first season as I liked it incredibly much, but then I got to the second season and quit just a few episodes from the end. After a couple months, I eventually went back and finished it off, but I was just so bored by that point. The storylines were ridiculous and over-the-top, the characters stopped feeling like real people and became annoying caricatures, and a lot of the dialogue was so horribly written there were times when I would groan out loud at some of the lines. It almost felt like they were trying to make the second season more appealing to Americans, which is why the characters would have really bad lines like “As if!”, and why the plots were ridiculously soap opera-ish, like, a man arrives in town who could be an imposter or could have been someone who got amnesia from being in the Titanic disaster. Bleh. Terrible, like that could ever happen in real life. And I really think the show was trying to play it like there was just no way we could know one way or the other if he was telling the truth about his amnesia. I don’t think they needed to make the show more appealing to Americans, as we already liked it a lot. I hope the Emmy voters are going to be smart enough to ignore season two’s existence.

43. mary says:

I agree with BC, also. The first season of Downton Abbey was excellent. The second season was watchable in that it was riding on the momentum set up by the first season. It really felt like Julian Fellowes was rushed in writing the script for season two. My husband and I could predict the lines before they were said. Poor Hugh Bonneville got the most trite lines to say, and at times I was embarrassed for him. I’m really hoping that Julian Fellowes slows down and tries to recapture the pacing of the first season.

I can really see the wisdom of Sherlock’s Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss taking (too?) long to come up with only three episodes every 18 months of that brilliant show. The quality there just improved…

44. B.B. says:

Benedict might sound like a pompous jerk to you because you don’t seem to know that the people who actually know him would Never say that about him. He is admired and adored by people he works with and of course fans. Everyone says something day in and day out that if it was put in print (without context as how they said it) would imagine there would be people somewhere making comments about what they said.
    “Downton” has had a lot of publicity with pictures and articles in many magazines, etc.
    “Sherlock” has not gotten that kind of attention and I’ve always found that to be a shame.
    If it was less of a show then, o.k..but it’s Not. I know people who had never heard of it and then saw it on netflix and couldn’t believe they had missed it because they loved it.
    It’s 3 90 minute shows, which are like 3 movies, and it is shot like it and its a shame they couldn’t be in theaters because it’s better than a lot of movies.
    Give him and chance and the show.

• M says:

I assumed Downtown Abbey was more popular because it’s a period drama and something Americans associate with Europe and Britain. While Sherlock might seem to them like just another crime show. Which makes no sense, but it could be it.

45. Bob Lozano says:

I hope that I’m not alone in my eagerness to see how Maggie Smith’s Dowager Countess reacts to the arrival of Shirley MacLaine as Cora’s mother. That should be worth TWICE the price of admission.

46. Barb says:

That’s why I think “Elementary” with Jonny Lee Miller, if its sold, and it probably will be, it will seem like every other crime drama. There will be the usual combination of male and female with a female Watson.
    Rolling Stone had a little review of the new season – “We’ve been flooded with Sherlock Holmes knockoffs – and those Mentalists, Monks and Houses using their OCD to solve mysteries. But as Cumberbatch proves, the original is still the greatest.”

47. marthaB says:

I would be sorry to think some people might not watch Sherlock because Benedict’s comments turned them off. I’m certain that although they don’t come across that way in print, they were said in jest. He has shown himself in many interviews over the years to be affable,polite and generous in his appreciation of the work of other. He is also remarkably talented and quite intelligent so seriously insulting a group of people who he will probably be working with at some time in the future just isn’t a smart thing to do. Besides, his mother would probably give him an earful about it.