Ratings: Renewed Fringe Rises, Nikita Steady, Finder and Supernatural Dip

Fox’s freshly renewed Fringe and NBC’s Who Do You Think You Are, Rob Lowe? were the only gainers this Friday night, as Nikita and Grimm held steady and all others dipped or dropped.

CBS, meanwhile, led the night in both total viewers and in the demo, despite all three of its shows experiencing declines.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: Nikita Status Change!

Going hour by hour….

8 pm | Undercover Boss led the hour with 7.15 million total viewers and a 1.6 rating, down about 10 percent from its last fresh outing. Shark Tank (5.4 mil/1.4) was down 12 percent in the demo, while WDYTYA (5.2 mil/1.0) saw gains of 12 and 25 percent. The Finder dipped 8 percent to 3.94 mil/1.1,  Nikita held steady at 1.32 mil/0.4, matching its series low demo.

Exclusive Nikita Hot Shots: ‘Mikita’ Gets Wet ‘N’ Wild

9 pm | CSI: NY (9 mil/1.4) was down 18 percent in the demo (tying Grimm for the win), yet led the hour in viewers. Grimm was flat with 4.5 mil/1.4. Fringe (3.14 mil/1.1) celebrated its final-season pickup with gains of 4 and 10 percent. Supernatural (1.53 mil/0.6) dipped a tenth, matching its series low.

TVLine’s Season Finale Calendar: What’s Ending When?

10 pm | Blue Bloods, with an audience of 10.2 mil and a 1.4 rating (down 18 percent), was the night’s most watched program and tied 20/20 for the hourly demo win.

1. Peeta says:

@Matt
    Are you still sure that Nikita is a safe bet? Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan, but Nikita’s low ratings frustrate me!

2. @Matt

1.Why is Supernatural yet “a safe bet”? I think it should be “A Sure thing” considering the news about change of its show runner?

2.Does these ratings hinder its renewal? Is that why its still on penultimate step?

Excuse me for my poor English. I am from a Non-english speaking country, India.

3. m says:

i still have hope 4 nikita to come back 4 a third season. The writing is outstanding and in my opinion it could have better ratings if it aired in another network.

• Nick says:

This is one of the few ACTION shows on tv, & in my opinion the best. Everything else is sitcoms & drama. We need more shows like this one, NOT LESS…CW!

4. mac says:

At least Cas haters have no reason for blaming the series low from his episode this season entirely on his appearence.

• I am the biggest Castiel hater. But, I don’t ever relate the ratings to the content of the episode. Nielsen ratings are all crap and are useful only for Renewals and cancellation. Not for checking the quality of the episode or quality of the show.

Supernatural got 0.6 for that episode because of Hunger Games movie release. Not because of Castiel or some other crap.

I want to tell you one more thing that is most of the Supernatural fans don’t care about Castiel, if he lives, dies or craps. What every one cares about is Winchesters. And all these guest stars like Castiel are mere passing clouds.

• rowan77 says:

You are wrong about “most” fans hating Castiel. The emails they get, the amount of followers he has on twitter, the amount of people who show up to see him at conventions and the amount of people who joined his scavenger hunt across the worked because of the show say otherwise. He is well loved by most fans.

• I didn’t say most fans hate Castiel. I said, most of the VIEWERS DON’T CARE ABOUT HIM. Like they don’t wait for his return or feel depressed if he is dead on the show.

I completely accept the fact that, he has hardcore fans. It is because of those ‘loud’ hardcore fans, there is enormous buzz on internet. Do remember not all the viewers attend conventions or not all the viewers of Supernatural are active on internet. Only a minority of the Supernatural fans does these things. Based on Castiel, we can divide fans into three categories:

1. Castiel Lovers – Those people who has voted for Vampire Diaries during because he is killed show are pure Castiel lovers
          2. Those people who are, Winchester-centric not Castiel-centeric. They don’t care if he is dead or alive on the show. They watch the show for brothers, monsters and family love.
          3. Castiel Haters – Best example is myself. Can’t even stand at the sight of that actor.

IMO, majority of the viewers belong to 2nd category. 1st and 3rd categories are usually the active participants on internet.

• James says:

I think your 3-tier system has more than a few flaws. While I may not be a hardcore Cas lover or hater, and while I may not post on everything Supernatural related or attend conventions or whatever, I can say i’m in your ’2nd category’ but I’m not Winchester-centric. I’m Supernatural-centric. I watch the show for the show, and personally I think that Misha Collins brought something that supernatural clearly needs; someone who is a bit comedic, not always mopey and who has power yet aloof most of the time.

Sam and Dean are too back and forth with the mopeyness these days, Bobby is now an excellent character with him being a ghost *see my above point of powerful and aloof*. Sam and Dean need more friends, it can’t always be about what happens to either of them, otherwise the storyline is going to suffer, as it has been slowly doing since they killed off the majority of characters

• @James

Even I welcome more recurring actors on Supernatural. I don’t mind if they have more friends. But the fact is I want better friends. How good is Castiel’s character? That’s subjective. I don’t find him funny, nor his character interesting. Castiel was good in 4th season. But I kinda felt him like a “Cancer” to the show in the next two seasons. 5th season would have been awesome without him and if they had brought somewhat better recurring stars. 6th season is not even worth discussing. Even Castiel is boring by now. So, I want a new recurring character like Frank.

• rowan77 says:

You can be Winchster-centric and still care about Castiel being on the show. That’s like saying you can either love the boys or love Bobby, but you can’t love both. And that’s just ridiculous. I think everyone loves the boys, but most people also enjoy Castiel and want to see his return.

• hlots11 says:

Ratings don’t have anything to do with the content of one episode – they generally tell a story about the content of a season, at least how it compares with viewer expectations (not necessarily quality). Granted, the highest rated shows on TV are usually the most trite, predictable, low-quality shows (that’s why they appeal to the most people), but a decline in ratings for a show like this means people aren’t watching because of the previous episodes. An episode can be awesome and have terrible ratings because the ones preceding it were terrible or boring or even re-runs. Also, once again, you can’t have a show with just two characters and no consistent secondary characters. You’d get what we have now – stagnant, predictable scripts with no development, because all the interactions between those two characters have been done.

• forrest says:

Sounds like a very reasonable argument. I like it. I’m thinking Fringe for several reasons along the similar lines. The changing of the main characters this season (same actors – different interaction – long story if you don’t follow Fringe) I believe turned off many loyal and casual viewers. IMHO.

• Also, once again, you can’t have a show with just two characters and no consistent secondary characters. You’d get what we have now – stagnant, predictable scripts with no development, because all the interactions between those two characters have been done.

I agree with you 100% with this. But, I want better secondary characters than Castiel and Ghost Bobby. All they have done this season was killing favorties and bringing them back. At the end of the season, I don’t understand, what’s the point in all this.

But I want some Winchester story time. I want the story-line to be Winchester-Centered not Castiel or Bobby-centered like it was this season. I hope they activate Sam’s demonic powers or bring Lucifer back again.

As far as this statement is concerned, I want to tell you that there are many factor influencing ratings. For instance, during initial days of Day Light Saving Time, all the shows across the board are down. This is the time of the season ratings usually show a decline. It might not necessarily be the quality of episodes. But this statement is true for CBS, ABC or NBC shows and not for CW shows.

5. llws88 says:

Nikita kept the momentum last night, although not as emotionally intense…it was another GREAT episode. I completely blame CW for it’s low ratings…and I hope they see the errors of their ways and renew the show for a 3rd season!

• mac says:

As much as I want to blame the low ratings on theCW…I just can’t. They’re promoting the hell outta this show and gave it a strong lead in, they’re obviously trying but are failing. I hope that Nikita gets renewed but the way it’s looking now they might cancel it (or give it a shortened third season)…darn

• JC says:

They gave Nikita a strong lead in? it doesn’t have any its the lead in to supernatural if only they switched it up and have supernatural as its lead in instead :)

6. genifer says:

I love last night’s Grimm, Nikita and Fringe! They are all great. As of Supernatural, I still stick to my previous opinion that it should have ended in Season 5.

7. bad kevin says:

Very happy to see Fringe get renewed for a fifth and final season and I really don’t know how the CW would fare on the fate of Nikita.

8. Rachel says:

I thought last night’s Supernatural was one of their best episodes in awhile! Felicia Day is always amazing, but the number of geeky references in that episode was unrivaled!! Is this real life?!

9. ndavika says:

Nikita’s episode was excellent, shifting some of the heaviness from last week to a lighter, but still important exploration of Birkhoff’s character. We need a Season 3 now!

10. kmkitt says:

I disagree that most Supernatural fans hate Castiel. If you look at social media Misha Collins is very popular. I’m surprised at the ratings drop since Felicia Day was a guest. I thought she would bring in some viewers. Do we know when the CW will make any decisions?

11. Kalie says:

I honestly don’t get why “Supernatural” has gone down in the ratings the last couple of weeks. They brought Bobby back last week, which is something a lot of fans were waiting for. This week, they had a popular actress on the show and everyone knew this episode would move the Leviathan story forward. I wonder if people are frustrated after all of the hiatuses this season? It seems like every time there’s a big cliffhanger, the network then puts the show on hiatus for a few weeks.

12. Amanda says:

I just want to hear some good news now about The Finder. It’s such a consistently feel good show. It’s charming, unique and all around delightbul hour of television. It should never have been compared to Bones, crossed over with Bones etc… It’s got merit on it’s own, not to mention Geoff Stults is adorable. Wish more people were watching.

13. June says:

I do not watch Nikita, or Fringe, those are not my favorite shows, they totally suck I am getting tired of telling people the same thing over and over my favorite shows are Vampire Diaries, Secret Circle, Revenge, and Supernatural.

• Emily says:

And I’m sure everyone is tired of hearing what your favorite shows are and how all the other ones suck. I’m failing to see the basis (or relevance) of your indignation.

• Russ says:

I watched Nikita and its is a good show but I would rather have a second season on The Secret Circle than Nikita. TSC is amazing and with Diana being the other blackwell uh! I want to see where they go with a second (much deserved) season.

• kavyn says:

TSC is absolutely terrible. Absolutely. Terrible. I can’t possibly see how a second season for that show would be “deserved”, give it Ringer or Nikita’s time slots and it would get the same – if not worse – ratings.

14. Chris says:

Let me get this straight: Nikita smells up the ratings yet again, and you upgrade its status to a ‘safe bet’? It’s doing horribly! What in the world are you thinking?!?

15. H says:

CW, please renew Nikita for another season!

16. Nikita is steady in ratings while everything else is seeing drops. Its on Friday nights at 8pm AND the episode aired the Thursday night before in Canada. Its the most critically acclaimed drama on CW and deserves a 3rd season, properly promoted and a better time slot.

17. JC says:

Nikita is the best CW show right now. I know that’s a bold statement but TVD and Gossip Girl (2 of my other fav CW shows) are slipping in the creative quality department while Nikita is consistently good. Look at the reviews of its episodes online especially at tv fanatic every episode is rated 5 stars renew this show CW!!! and give a better timeslot or a big lead in :)

18. JoshJacksononOnceuponatimefan says:

I am really loving this season of Fringe and also I really like the Finder.

19. sarah says:

While I am happy that CSI NY and Blue Bloods both one the time slot, being down in numbers is not good! I love these shows!

20. Nick says:

Sounds like Nikita is battling with Heart of Dixie for the final cut. Come on CW! You have plenty of shows like Dixie, but only one Nikita. Maggie Q can out act Rachel Bilson ANYDAY! Keep trimming away the good shows from your line-up and you will officially be a network for teenage girls. Lets keep some variety…SAVE NIKITA!!!

21. Brian says:

There is no other show like NIKITA on television at the moment. This is truly an amazing show with everything that a great show should have=sexy cast, amazing fight/action scenes, drama, comedy, complex relationships, fast paced thrills, quiet moments of reflection, character driven, suspense…….It’s just amazing. Maggie Q rocks ! Pleasse let there be more seasons to come.

22. LJ says:

I love seeing so many positive comments for Nikita from guys. This show is a standout for the CW. The network wants to move past the ‘teen girl’ niche it’s in and this is the show to do it. It has a strong cast and fantastic production values. It needs more promotion.

23. Sylvia says:

NIKITA SEASON 3!!!!!!!! Best show on television! Just needs a better network….. PLEASE RENEW!!! :)

24. jmc000 says:

FYI Supernatural was adjusted up.

Hate how all the sites that report ratings (that aren’t ratings sites) don’t post an update of shows that were adjusted up or down in finals