NBC Pulls Best Friends Forever from Schedule

Best Friends Forever does not appear to be forever, as NBC has pulled the freshman comedy from its line-up effective immediately, after four airings.

“BFF Fans: Wanted to let you know that our show is being taken off the air until the summer,” series star and executive producer Lennon Parhmam said via Twitter on Friday. “Hoping to post ep 5 & 6 online asap…. Jessica St. Clair and I CANNOT thank you enough for the love and support of our little show. You guys are truly the best.”

Best Friends Forever starred Parham and St. Clair (who also serves as an EP) as gal pals who had been displaced to opposite sides of the country until a divorce reunited them in Brooklyn, even in the apartment they used to share. The series drew 3.9 million total viewers and a 1.2 rating with its April 4 debut, but most recently mustered just 2.65 mil and a 0.8.

According to NBC’s press site, a second weekly helping of the hidden camera prank show Betty White’s Off Their Rockers will fill the Wednesdays-at-8:30 void, at least for the short term.

Comments (64)

• Uncool, NBC. Uncool.

Comment by Tim – April 27, 2012 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And yet the far-worse Whitney and Up All Night never got yanked. Man, NBC sucks.

Comment by KevyB – April 28, 2012 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really liked this show–but most people have never heard of it! Where was the advertising NBC?

Comment by JAMANDAFAN – April 28, 2012 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ve seen absolutely no advertising for this show. If I didn’t read TVline I probably wouldn’t even know it existed. The blurb about this show in this article is the most I’ve ever heard about the premise.

Comment by Ari – April 29, 2012 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Totally agree………..it’s similar to planned obsolescence!!!! NBC is good @ that!

Comment by jackie2830 – June 21, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Are you kidding? Up All Night is so good!

Comment by Carly – April 29, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Love Up All Night as well!

Comment by jackie2830 – June 21, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know right? Whitney is THE most horrible show out there – and it won’t go away!! I don’t mind Up All Night but I don’t go out of my way to watch it.

Comment by missmiggles – April 30, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Whitney is amazing, don’t watch it then.

Comment by steph – June 21, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree with the Whitney aspect………….loved BFF! Not surprised though………..NBC is noted for dissing the consumer like this!!!!

Comment by jackie2830 – May 10, 2012 05:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The problem is that there is no ideal place for this show except as part of the Thursday comedy block and as such they should have not shown this until they were ready to launch summer programming.

Comment by Joseph Angelo – April 29, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m starting to get tired of Betty White.

Comment by Betty White – April 30, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HORRIBLE CHOICE. i love best friends forever and whitney and all these simple comedys. Stop starting something and never finishing it. SO annoying. unhappy.

Comment by steph – June 21, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we get Bent back?? Please?

Comment by Lauren – April 27, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS! Please, give Bent back!

Comment by May – April 27, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was just going to say the same thing! Bent was AWESOME!

Comment by sarah – April 30, 2012 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I came here to say! We want Bent!!

Comment by HC – April 27, 2012 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree with this one too!

Comment by jackie2830 – June 21, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS!!!!!! I watched all of the episodes in one day…..so great!!

Comment by Jessica – April 27, 2012 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why NBC insists on premiering these shows against the ABC comedy juggernaut just goes to show how stupid they continue to be over there.

Comment by dsrbroadway – April 27, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • took it right out of my mouth.

Comment by cj – April 27, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly – this is what COUNTER PROGRAMMING was created for. There is a reason we are so drama/reality TV heavy on thursday nights. It’s because NBC OWNED the night. The other networks placed shows that weren’t comedies and wham now who owns Thursday? Instead of sacrificing what could be great shows, BFF, Bent, Perfect Couples, etc. against ABC’s wednesday comedies they should be doing the opposite and reclaim a night. It would be interesting to see if NBC could create a TGIF style comedy night on Friday and then move Grimm unto Wednesdays to see what happens.

Comment by Thereasonsy – April 27, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • EXACTLY! Also, how are people supposed to get invested into a show when you only create six episodes of it AND put it up against the biggest comedy out there right now? Why even bother? It’s too bad – the show had it’s funny moments and, while it was no Community or Parks & Rec in terms of genius, the two leading ladies were very funny and there was definitely room for growth.

Comment by debbie – April 28, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously NBC you don’t give these shows any kind of chance

Comment by Cathy – April 27, 2012 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meanwhile, the likes of Whitney and Are You There Chelsea are still on the air…

Boo :( I really enjoy BFF.

Comment by nyla – April 27, 2012 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • touche.

Comment by cj – April 27, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • couldn’t have said it better. C’mon NBC, I want to love you but it is getting tougher and tougher.

Comment by MelCK – April 27, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how on effing EARTH is whitney still on the air when best friends forever (and bent) didn’t even get a chance? tv execs are so outside of the circle of what viewers want. it is a shame, finally i’d found a sitcom that i loved, that evoked the feeling I used to get from Friends in it’s heyday, that even my husband loves and quotes? gone. thanks nbc, as always!

Comment by rae – April 27, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Lennon Paarham is quite possibly the female Kyle Bornheimer

Comment by Carmichael – April 27, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The fact that my first thought was, “Oh, that’s already on the air?”, means they’re doing something wrong at NBC (not breaking news).

Comment by Micah White (@micahwhite) – April 27, 2012 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope NBC can do the same thing if the network pulls the plug on Bent. :-(

Comment by bad kevin – April 27, 2012 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i liked this show. it had promise.

Comment by Rocky – April 27, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And people keep saying Harry’s Law is a problem for NBC? HL pulls a demo slightly higher than BFF, with 3x as many total viewers. Harry’s aw should be toward the very bottom of NBC’s worry list, especially when you factor in the embarssment that is NBC’s entire Thursday lineup.

Comment by mkej43@yahoo.com – April 27, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Since when are critical favorites like Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, Community and The Office an embarrassment?

Comment by Kelly – April 29, 2012 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh no, shame Queenetta was the highlight of the show.

Comment by Z – April 27, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hadn’t even heard of it..which goes to show how great the promotion was. And I wtch a lot of television

Comment by Jules – April 27, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awww, I really liked this show, AND Bent. Shame on you NBC. Shame.

Comment by Meagan – April 27, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw posters all over Manhattan, and from those alone I knew it was done

Comment by Brad – April 27, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t care about the show, but that is another lemon for NBC.

Comment by Mary Beth – April 27, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show didn’t have a chance. It was sandwiched in between cr@p that nobody would watch.

Comment by bob – April 27, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • of course it bombed, just like every other comedy on wednesdays in that time slot. Are you there Chelsea? Bent. Did they expect that all of the sudden another brand new show in the past few months would all the sudden explode in the ratings? Such a shame, it was a really funny show.

Comment by Jeff – April 27, 2012 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s cute how fans of flop shows think networks should air unsuccessful shows out of a sense of charity and the kindness of their hearts. Of course they pulled BFFs, no one was watching or were they ever going to.

Comment by Brit – April 28, 2012 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOO.

Comment by M – April 28, 2012 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the first episode and found both of the ladies lame and annoying so I’m not surprised.

Comment by Trina – April 28, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC doesn’t even give their comedies a chance anymore. It’s like they introduce them while already planning on them failing. No promotion + awkward time of year for a premiere = dead in the water.

Comment by Lauren – April 28, 2012 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whitney is a much better comedy than this drivel…

Comment by xwiseguyx – April 28, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I no longer buy this stuff about giving the show a chance. It was on for four weeks, and the ratings dropped each week. What did people expect, there was suddenly going to be an upswing in viewership?

For most of its brief run, it was up against reruns of Suburgatory. Things weren’t about to get any better.

Comment by TV Gord – April 28, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought this show was quite funny. Shame.

Comment by Mark – April 28, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uh. I liked both BFF and Bent. WTF NBC. WTF.

Comment by Summer – April 28, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually really liked this show :( damnit!

Comment by Eli – April 28, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m outraged! The core trio had such great chemistry and it was a unique angle for a show, looks like we’ll be getting even more couples in different stages of their relationship comedies that wish they could be the new Friends (or as funny as Happy Endings).

Comment by Liam Tait (@brilliam_t) – April 28, 2012 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That sucks, I really enjoyed “BFF” and “Bent”…I wish they’d pull the AWFUL “Whitney” and “Are You There, Chelsea” and replace them with “BFF” and “Bent”…

Comment by Kristi – April 28, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s kind of a shame. Granted I didn’t love the show, but it was a good ‘to pass the time’ show. I’m glad they atleast aired the episode with Aaron Hill (ie. The Beaver) in it.

Comment by Paige – April 28, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t even aware this show existed…

Comment by Sam – April 28, 2012 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have to say I liked both it and bent

Comment by Rachel – April 28, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • give bent a chance!

Comment by grace – April 29, 2012 02:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No more queenetta :(. I loved her

Comment by Greg – April 29, 2012 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, this show was pretty decent. Very sad to see it go.

Comment by Hussman – April 30, 2012 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was my favorite out of the new comedies NBC premiered this year. And Perfect Couples was the best new comedy last year. NBC does not know how to promote the good shows out there. Pathetic.

Comment by Ashley – April 30, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super dissapointed this series has been pulled I LOVE it!!! The network definately didn’t give it a chance as there was no advertising and for the people I told about it they loved it also and were anticipating the upcoming episodes :( hope another network finds a place for this show would live to see it continue!! P.s I’m not a big tv watcher but this is a show I anticipate watching great job Jessica and Lennon :)

Comment by Lynn – May 7, 2012 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well that sucks!! I liked it but it was on the same time as Suburgatory & Survivor & my dvr can’t record more than 2 shows at time so I wish they had tried another time slot before they yanked it completely. Queenetta was my favorite.

Comment by Heather – May 9, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooooo!!!!! This was such a great show! I was looking forward to watching it this evening only to find out that it has been cancelled. Give it another chance!!!

Comment by M – May 9, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’ve never been a fan of nbc until the voice. I love that show but stoppef watching it because christina is irritating. then I watched the BENT and BFF. I lovef both showd then nba cancels both. now its back to not watching nbc.

Comment by lehua – May 10, 2012 04:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good for you…………we should all boycott stations, but alas, it will never happen. Not only do we pay for TV, but we love them telling us what we can watch, or yanking shows we love from us. And, the sad part is, the ratings game all revolves around a target audience……I think it’s 19 – 49 years of age……that probably wipes out half the people on this blog right??????

Comment by jackie2830 – June 21, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post