NBC Moves Community Finale into May Sweeps

Well this is Changsteresting…. NBC has moved Community‘s Season 3 finale up a week, to May 17, thus landing it within the May sweeps ratings period.

In doing so, NBC “added” a half hour to the acclaimed comedy’s season-ending night, by tacking the double-episode finale onto the episode that was to precede it.

Community Death Revealed! Find Out Which Human Being Is a Goner and What’s Next

In other words, the night will look like this:

8:00 Community — “The First Chang Dynasty”
8:30 30 Rock season finale
9:00 Community — “Introduction to Finality”
9:30 Community — “Digital Estate Planning” (season finale)

The Futon Critic first reported on NBC’s move.

TVLine’s May Season Finale Calendar: What’s Ending When?

The “loser” in this shuffle is, in a way, Awake, which was to have a double-episode finale on May 17, starting at 9 pm. Instead, the underperforming freshman drama will now air the second hour on May 24 aka the night after sweeps ends.

Mind you, NBC will have announced all of its renewals (and thus cancellations) for next TV season by Monday, May 14.

1. Luke says:

I don’t know whether we’re supposed to see this as a vote of confidence for Community or a vote of dissent for Awake.

• Randall says:

I’d say it was a vote of confidence for Community. I could be wrong but it’s numbers have been up this season? I never really got into Awake.

• Brandon says:

Definitely a wise move. Community has been getting at around a 1.4 lately, while Awake got a .8 last night. Neither is a good rating by any standard, but it least it’s a small upgrade for a sweeps night.

• Alex says:

I’d say both. They expect that Community will perform better than Awake during sweeps, and rightly so.

• sam says:

by the time this finale airs — it’s fate will have already been decided.

2. So, let me make sure I’ve got this straight: There’s going to be 3 episodes of Community on May 17?! Is this NBC trying to help the show or just put an end to it more quickly?

• Adam says:

It indicates the that NBC has confidence that Community will perform so well as to keep a high rating throughout the night during a sweeps week.

• Mitholas says:

And I think putting one 30 Rock episode in between the first and the last two episodes is a way to try to get more Community fans into 30 Rock. That’s actually not a bad strategy, even if it’s on the season finale.

3. Good deal for Community. An almost entire night. Maybe NBC isn’t going to drop this show after all. What a relief.

4. Robert Dougherty says:

Do you have any details on why they are airing the supposed season finale, ep 322 “Intro to Finality” at 9 pm and then airing episode 321 at 9:30? Is that a bad sign about anything – like renewal chances or the content of these episodes?

• I think those numbers are production codes. They often shoot episodes out of order, so the numbers don’t necessarily reflect the chronology of the Greendale universe.

• Robert Dougherty says:

But TV Line itself made it clear in its season finale list that the Community finale was the episode that turned out to be “Intro to Finality” And the title alone is a dead giveaway of what the ep is designed to be. Yet NBC is switching them around for now anyway – and if that isn’t a clue as to its renewel chances, one has to wonder what it says about the eps themselves, if anything

5. Aileen says:

It is very exciting and sad at the same time. We have three episode on one night to enjoy…and then to wait after summer for season 4 hopefully! Thursdays are my favorite day because of Community. Great show!

6. kevin says:

Hey Matt, do you know when the season finale of Awake is going to air since the two-hour finale was supposed to be on May 17th?

7. Balaji K says:

Actually, FOX has announced a two-hour season finale of Touch on Thursday, May 31
    8:00/7:00c.

8. Angela says:

Ooh, good, I don’t work that night, that’ll be perfect, then! Interesting to have all those shows crammed together into one evening, but hey, I ain’t complaining! If this is NBC’s way of showing confidence in the series, that makes me happy and hopeful. Looking forward to the 17th!

9. ROB R says:

It does mean the double pump of “Community” at 9 pm and 9:30 pm will air against the highly promoted season finale of “Grey’s Anatomy,” with it being the possible final episode for Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo.

10. Mike says:

NBC is a mess. I’m glad Community gets it’s finale into sweeps, but it sucks for Awake, which I also really like and which might perform better in an earlier time slot. The show doesn’t really need to be at 10, not for content reasons anyway.

• rowan77 says:

Wake is a pretty good show that has the potential to be a great show, but they’re blowing it. He can’t be right all the time. It’s boring. You know he’ll always work it out so the suspense is tempered too much. And now the whole baby thing – snore. I think they need fresh eyes and NBC has to be willing to let them go all out on the stories. It’s not like the ratings for the network can get much worse.

11. John says:

Ugh, just kill it already.

12. I don’t like the fact that they do it…8, then 9 then 930

13. em says:

I usually like to do multiple viewings of Community just to catch everything before the next ep airs, but I can live with it. And 9:00 is a better timeslot for me for the finale. I’m not really worried about renewal chances at this point with all the votes of confidence. (Don’t fail me now TVLine).

14. Ram510 says:

So before it was changed to the 17th was Community just going to have a hour finale on the 24th and be the lone original show for NBC that night? That would’ve been a crappy deal.

I wish ABC would air Cougar Towns finale during sweeps

15. Polly says:

3 community episodes on one night?!?!?!?
    YES! YES! YES! YES!

16. Bert says:

They need to add a two hour special of Parenthood during sweeps week. It is their second highest scripted drama, pretty much tied with svu and slightly behind Smash.

17. Sarabi says:

My only wishes this season were renewals for Fringe and Community.
    We’re halfway there.
    (Ooooh, living on a prayer! :P)

18. DJ Doena says:

Question how does Digital fit between Dynasty and Finality? At the end of Dynasty Troy goes into exile to the air-conditioning repair school. In Digital nothing hints at him being there – at the end he’s with Abed in the study room. And then in the beginning of Finality he’s clearly not in contact with the group anymore.

Please explain.