Post Mortem: Vampire Diaries Boss on Tonight's Big Cliffhanger and What's Next!

WARNING: If you have yet to watch Thursday’s The Vampire Diaries, avert your eyes now. Everyone else, you may proceed….

The Vampire Diaries inched nerve-wrackingly closer to its big Season 3 finish with tonight’s episode, in which Esther attempted to remake Alaric’s dark alter ego into the ultimate vampire killer by turning him into the thing he hates the most — a vampire! When he came to as his normal self, Elena and Jeremy’s only remaining pseudo-guardian chose not to complete the transition, which led to a poignant, beautifully-staged scene featuring all the characters paying their respects to him. But Bonnie’s “sisters” on the other side had different plans and got her to feed him her blood, giving us Alaric the Vampire Vampire Slayer.

Below, executive producer Julie Plec and the cast answer your burning questions about the episode and tease what the future holds for Alaric, Elena, Jeremy, Tyler and the rest of the gang.

Season Finale Guide: Get Exclusive Spoilers on 54 Big Finishes — Including Vampire Diaries!

What’s next for Alaric? |“He’s very clearly a badass vampire killer with a pretty magnificent, deadly and unburnable stake, so I definitely think he’s going to be a conflict provider,” says Plec. “He’s going to be pretty hardcore, which is going to be equally exciting and devastating.” His quest to kill the Originals kicks off in next week’s episode with “Alaric in the high school where Caroline and Rebekah are having a little post-dance clean-up. … It’s a very extreme, hardcore episode of Alaric on a tear, and no one is safe.” Uh oh, should we be preparing ourselves for more deaths? Over the next two episodes, there will be “a lot” of characters whose fate will be murky. “You’re not going to be sure if they’re going to make it to Season 4,” is all Plec would say.

Was Bonnie possessed? | “She was very clearly under some sort of witchy influence,” says Plec. But the bigger concern for Ms. B. will be having yet another group of people bossing her around. She’ll start to ask herself, “’Where’s my free will? And where’s my choice?’ That’s going to impact her character moving forward,” teases Plec.

Will Jeremy avoid the dark side? | Now that we know Alaric was being molded into a killer by Esther every time he crossed over, Elena’s brother is a little bit safer from meeting the same fate. “The stakes of death and resuscitation are possibly not as intense for Jeremy as they were for Alaric because he had something happen [to him] on the other side,” explains Plec. “But there’s still always going to be a concern of consequences for cheating death one too many times. It might just not come in the form of a Jekyll and Hyde alter ego.” And as Jeremy hinted when he replied, “When my sister stops hanging out with vampires, I’ll take it off,” the magical piece of jewelry is not going anywhere. “The ring’s going to stay in play for a while,” confirms the EP.

Exclusive First Look: Aunt Jenna Makes Her Return to Vampire Diaries

Is Elena leaning toward choosing Stefan? | Losing yet another loved one will only make Elena’s decision between her ex and his brother, Damon, more difficult. “How do you choose in a moment like that?” muses Plec. “The last two episodes of the season are really going to be about her asking herself that question and really trying to understand how she could possibly let one of them go when she’s already lost so much.” But when she does finally make her pick, “It will effect everything.”

Did Tyler break the sire bond or not? | A hint might be found in the following quote from his portrayer Michael Trevino: “In these last two episodes, if not next week’s episode, we might see him actually take some action against Klaus and maybe not follow his orders when it comes to Caroline.” Meanwhile, his sire will do something heroic and then naturally follow it up with something absolutely heinous.

Will Matt ever love again? | After losing Elena and Caroline — and being warned to stay away from Elena — will Matt ever catch a break in the romance department? Maybe with Original vamp Rebekah? Teases Plec: “Should he be so lucky to survive Season 3” and “should Rebekah be so lucky to survive Season 3, there’s a little crush brewing on her side there, so maybe there’s some story there to tell.”

1. kavyn says:

Did anyone else feel like the last 20 minutes was complete filler? It was kind of obvious he’d survive.

• Manie says:

I assure you, you weren’t the only one… I was almost yawning at one point! LOL But I’m glad that TVD FINALLY has a REAL villain… After 3 season, it was about time… Though, did we really need to kill Mikael to get another Mikael #2?! LOL Talk about recycling…

• Josh says:

To be fair that’s what TV does a lot…Recycle…I don’t know. I just want to kill Klaus, they sort of need to end that storyline. Put a stake in it…Anything please…

• lorna says:

I’m not liking the 2nd half of this season. Do they really have to turn everyone into vampires? Thery better keep Matt human. My poor Ric.

2. TV fan says:

Go Fringe!!!

3. I want full body pics of Elena in her white dress!

• prochoice ontuesdays says:

That is a really good point. This show really does need to figure out a way to incorporate the gay community into it’s story lines. While appealing to such a young demographic, it is strange that the number of LGBT characters has dropped in the past few years. Jeremy could be a gay. The ring made him do it.

4. Lois says:

I couldn’t stop sobbing for the last quarter of that episode. And I was still going by the twist at the end. I couldn’t place my emotions properly I was all ‘oh god, this is so sad, poor Alaric’ and then I was like ‘…oh, oh no, Bonnie what are you doing?!’ The saddest thing has to be that Alaric has become the opposite of what he wanted to be now, and his ‘goodbye’ has sort of been tainted by the villain he’s become.

• Jane says:

I’m totally with you- I had a feeling Alaric would become a vampire in the end, but that didn’t make any of the so called “filler” less sad. And i don’t think it was filler, because really, the Alaric we knew and loved really is gone. I was positively bawling my brains out. Both my boyfriend and my dog were totally freaked out by me.

5. Danielle H says:

I see why some people say they felt it was filler, but I feel that like part of the episode was everyone’s time (including the viewer) to say goodbye to “good” Alaric.
    I am so sad to know that he’ll most likely end up dead, especially since he’s moving on to another CW show. I really like Matt Davis and his character.
    I’m just not sure why the producers feel the need to take every last thing away from Elena. It feels really contrived and I actually disagree with it. A person cannot lose every last thing and make it out.

• Deion says:

Agreed. But it is positively perilous to be a guardian to the Gilbert children.

• Carolyn says:

But she hasn’t lost everyone. She still has Damon and Stefan who would die to protect her. And she still has her friends and Jeremy, who though biologically isn’t her brother, they are still related. She’s not alone, though she may feel like it right at this moment.

6. Fran says:

I agree that it was saying goodbye to the “good” Alaric. I thought it was moving actually. And I loved Elena and Stefan’s scenes together!

7. Andy says:

Klaus was incredible in this episode..as always

8. Shan says:

I too loved every second between Stefan and Elena, it felt so good and so right. Of course God forbid they have more than a mili-second of contentment…

Meanwhile it’s awful that the CW took Jenna from us (let alone Elena and Jeremy!) but now Alaric? Sending Matt Davis to a new show that won’t survive?! And it won’t be Matt Davis’ fault that the show won’t make it, CW.

• Josh says:

Why are you blaming the CW haha?

• Carolyn says:

And it was good to see Stefan and Elena together, but I really think she should choose Damon… Stefan has to force himself to be good, but Damon has naturally become that way because of Elena… but I always put faith in the writers, so whatever they do is usually [in the long run] the right choice for the show and the characters.

9. I loved the Stefan and Elena scenes. Ian seems like a good person (and I know he and Nina are dating in real life), but I really don’t like Damon. He provides conflict and id capable of doing something good occasional, but I really feel like Stefan is the guy for Elena. I love that Caroline is a Stelena shipper. So cute!

• Gina says:

I agree. I think it would be interesting to see Elena and Damon get together. But not like this. I’m Team Stefan all the way. They end up together in the books. Which is part of the reason why I don’t get why everyone wants her and Damon to end up together so badly. It’s just setting the Delena shippers up for dissappointment since her and Stefan are the end game. lol

• zirjelle says:

i feel like damon and stefan are like dean and sam in supernatural…. everyone is led to believe that stefan and sam are the good brothers whilst damon and dean are the bad ones however really damon and dean are in there core good but try there hardest to be the irresponsible bad brothers who make bad judgements and stefan and sam are in there core have badness… you see it with stefan and his ripper phases and sam being the veceil for lucifer… damon and dean are the good ones at every turn and at the end of the day although they make mistakes most of time on purpose to make their brother look good they always do the right thing and put others first

10. I was actually getting really sure they were going to kill off Alaric. I teared up a bit when he was having the last drink with Damon – it was a sad and sweet moment. I almost wish he’d just died instead of coming back as a crazy vampire vampire-hunter, though. :\ Also, how much of the original cast is going to be a vampire by the end? Already Caroline, Tyler, Jenna, and Alaric have become vampires at one point. And I love Matt! He’s such a nice guy. I’m still thinking that he might end up with Elena in the end. He’s pretty much the only “normal” guy left!

• Carolyn says:

I’m sorry to burst your bubble, but Matt and Elena will never truly be happy. Remember what she says to Stefan really early on in Season 1 [think it might be the first ep or maybe the second ep], that there just wasn’t any passion with Matt? She loves… but only like a friend. That would be the most boring relationship if she ended up with him, trust me…

• Haha, okay? I just have a feeling that unless Elena is going to become a vampire, that at the “end,” Damon and Stefan are both probably going to die, and it makes sense for her to end up with Matt. There are allusions to it, even Klaus said so. Whether it’ll actually happen or not, though, I guess we’ll have to wait and see!

11. Maryam says:

The Stefan and Elena scenes felt flat. But the scene between Damon and Alaric in the end was what really got to me. I’m sorry Julie Plec but this season finale will be my last TVD episode ever! I’m sick of Damon always being the bad guy in everyone eyes and Stefan the ultimate hero. As a Damon fan I feel hurt and betrayed because for once I thought things were going to look up for him but from the looks of it the “EPIC” love story is coming back and I for one cannot handle to watch another go around of Stefan and Elena. So two more episodes and I’M OUT!

• Jen says:

I’m soooo with you. I have to say when Damon’s eyes filled with tears when he was down in that dungeon next to Alaric I just wanted to reach out and hug him. But please- DO NOT abandon the show! I’m a fellow Damon fan, and yes, I think he and Elena are more compelling than Stefan and Elena- thought I liked their scenes this week- but that doesn’t mean, if she chooses Stefan, you should quit! The writers also love Damon, and ELENA also loves Damon, and that means he’ll never truly be ruled out. PLEEEEEASE stick with the show. If all the disappointed shippers jump ship, so to speak, the show will be CANCELLED. This we do not want.

• jess says:

I agree with you! i don’t like when ppl say they’ll quit watching if such and such happens. the writer’s aren’t there to write exactly what YOU want, they’re there to tell a story, and if you get peeved off when your favorite brother isn’t chosen, then our favorite show will get cancelled! This is for delena and stelena shippers alike.

• Sonia says:

Please! We are under no obligation to go on watching a show if we hate the story. Why should we? If the show gets cancelled it’s on them for not keeping their viewers, not on us.

• Maryam says:

Oh please don’t get me wrong. I really do not care who Elena chooses to be with. I actually want Damon to get out of this triangle of doom and find a girl who actually loves him and knows that she loves him. My complaint about this show is how badly Damon is treated by the other characters and especially Elena on this show. He’s always the bad guy… the bad brother… the bad influence but what about Stefan? The guy murdered people for decades, bit Elena, almost killed her and yet he’s still the one true hero in there eyes. Damon has changed so much throughout this series. He has been at deaths door countless amount of times to show people that he can be good. But time and time again all they see is the bad. It’s to much at this point. 3 seasons of Damon bashing is enough.

• Jen says:

I do agree with you there. I wish the other characters gave Damon more credit. He’s earned a lot more than he’s gotten.

• Carolyn says:

And let’s not forget that Elena has saved him a few times, and also that he has done nothing but protect her. At some point she’ll stick up for him, but I gotta tell ya, love does weird things, and she isn’t thinking about every single thing she needs at the moment… *sighs* we just gotta wait a little bit longer.

• Daisy says:

I get what you’re saying on some levels. Yes, Stefan the ripper killed people for decades, but that is somewhat removed from what Damon has done directly to Elena’s friends and relatives. When Stefan bit Elena he was under Klaus’s control–he had no free will to try to stop it. Let’s never forget that Damon KILLED JEREMY and compelled and fed off Caroline for months (and this was his choosing–he killed Jeremy in a fit of petulant anger and fed off Caroline because he wanted to). Damon is always the one that’s willing to sacrifice Bonnie if they need to (or threaten her), while Stefan helped Caroline transition into being a vampire, tries to find another solution to prevent any of Elena’s friends from getting caught in the crossfire. So I’m not really buying that Damon is a ‘good guy’. They’re both pretty ‘evil’ in their own ways, but you have to admit that Damon has done a lot of damage to the people in the group and their not being able to forgive him for that is NOT poor writing on the show’s part. In fact, I think it’s very realistic.

• Luli says:

Agreed!!

• Em says:

Stefan threatened to drive her off the bridge where her parents died. Of his own volition. He put his anger and revenge above her life and her feelings. Not only was he ready to turn her, but he chose the cruelest possible way to do it, by driving her off the bridge where she almost died with her parents. It wasn’t just an impulse out of deep pain like Damon snapping Jer’s neck. It was premeditated, twisted, and evil. Neither brother is innocent or a “safe” choice. Whichever brother she chooses, she will be forgiving a great deal of wrongdoing. They have both gone to great lengths to keep her safe, and both have proven how deeply they love her. If she chooses one of them, the choice is between comfort and familiarity with Stefan or passion and the unknown with Damon. For me it’s a no-brainer, but Elena has been through a lot, so maybe comfort is what she needs. I just think that she’s a better person with Damon (strong, determined, confident in the first half of S3) than with Stefan (self-centered damsel-in-distress in the last episode). To quote Rose’s completely superfluous exposition, “Damon challenges her,” which forces her to learn how to fight back– against him and against everyone. She needs someone who will tell her no every now and then.

• Em says:

P.S. I think the actual poor writing is her desperation to forgive Stefan and forget everything evil he has done to her and all the evil he did with Klaus (even pre-compulsion). And choosing to forget/ignore/disrespect everything she and Damon went through together while he was gone. Or maybe it’s intentional, and it’s leading up to some personal growth at the end of the season. I’m hoping for the second option but not holding my breath.

• Kel says:

I agree! How much does Damon have to prove himself?? So annoying! I don’t think Elena deserves him. She’s too conflicted, uncertain, self-conscious and depressing. Damon needs someone happy, cheerful, upbeat, and fun. Like..Katherine! She’s trying to be a tiny bit good too. Her character is changing like Damon, so they should get together. Damon and Rose were a nice combination too. But I agree! No more Damon bashing!!

• Carolyn says:

Ditto Jen. Maryam, don’t lose faith. Even if she does choose Stefan, you really think it will be as simple as that? I don’t think so. From everything I’ve been reading [interviews with the EPs and cast], my gut feeling is that she will choose Damon… but even Ian Somerhalder doesn’t think it could last… he makes a comment about the EPs telling him that he won’t always be the bad guy [and he hasn’t been for most of this season if you really look between the lines] and to look at his character with a five season arc of ups and down and character growth… the best is yet to come, I promise you.

• Ava says:

I agree with you. I think Elena is the emotional weak link on the show. I have no connection with her. I find her so unlikeable that even when she isn’t doing something unlikeable I can’t connect to her. All of the boys on this show have great bromances going on. I am really glad that Damon was there with Alaric at the end. It was oddly fitting and a beautiful end to their friendship.

• Sim says:

im sorry, but ill be out if she choses Damon. Elena does not need a guy to push her around…or be overprotective. She’s old enough to make her own decisions. Damon cannot handle another person in his life, if he cannot handle himself in the first place. Damon is not a bad guy, but it’s clear as day to everyone that he’s quite selfish. And also, if you really want damon to be happy, you should want someone to love damon completely for himself. Why should he be with someone who has partial feelings for him? Delena fans don’t get that aspect..not one bit.

12. Russ says:

Please don’t kill Rebekah!

13. Maryam says:

Jen and Carolyn I’ll try to hang in there but I really need for Damon to stop getting tortured, beaten, and almost killed each episode over people who treat him like crap. Also I need to see them give Stefan hell for his wrong doings as well. Stefan is no saint!

14. mike says:

For a minute I thought the newest show couple might be Matt & Jeremy.

15. Jo says:

I’m getting tired of this love triangle. Damon deserves a girl who loves him the way he is and not try to change him. I would love for him to be with Katherine. It would be a HUGE twist if they would come out saying Elena was actually Katherine the whole season

• Aaron says:

Agreed…I am getting so tired of this show..same love this and boo that..it’s getting pathetic..I think the haters just might be right ….

16. TheLonelyPlace says:

I’m all for Rebekah and Matt, if they survive this season’s bloodbath. What a nice way to address things Julie >:D

17. Fran says:

Whoa, really? You don’t get Damon being the bad guy in everyone’s eyes? Let’s see, Damon compelled Caroline then wanted to kill her when she became a vampire. He killed Jeremy- YES he did and he did not know Jeremy had the ring on. How in the world is that forgivable?? Not to mention he could give a crap about Tyler, Bonnie or Matt. Why in the world should they NOT think he’s a bad guy? Don’t get me wrong, Stefan is NO saint but he hasn’t really done anything to personally hurt any of Elena’s friends. So I think it’s pretty natural that Damon is still being viewed as a bad guy to them. He may be redeeming himself in Elena’s eyes, but that’s it. Sometimes I just think I’m watching a different show than a lot of you. This entire season has been really focused on Damon and they did a complete 180 on Stefan’s character to drag it through the mud. What more do people want???

That being said- I like Damon, I really do. I can see him and Elena having a short lived relationship based on lust. I just think that fades in time. Plus I want Damon to be with someone who appreciates him and I don’t see that with Elena. I’m not even sure if I want Elena with Stefan either… oh decisions! I think she needs to be by herself for awhile.

• Em says:

Why does every Stefan-defender forget about 3×11??? Scroll up for my thoughts on that little sadistic piece of crazy. People’s motives mean just as much as their actions. Give me intense love and pain over anger and revenge any day. Doesn’t make either action right, but I actually related to the heartbreak that led to Jeremy’s snapped neck. Using Elena as a pawn in your psychotic need for revenge– I don’t have any sympathy for that.

• Sonia says:

Stefan hasn’t done anything to hurt Elena’s friends? Have Stefan fans blocked out 3×11? Alaric died in that episode trying to save Jeremy. Even after Elena begged Stefan to forget his revenge because Jeremy could get hurt. Stefan bit Elena and he tried to turn her into a vampire in the most cruel way possible, on the same bridge her parents were killed. He knew that and still did it to her. But is anyone holding him responsible for his actions? Then why should Damon be held responsible?

• Meg says:

Does anyone on here remember that Damon and Stefan are not human? And have not been human for quite some time? They are BOTH Apex predators. Just like any other predator… the longer you’re around them, the more likely it is that you will be hurt. I don’t really hold either of them to my moral standard because they are not human beings, they have a different morality. Both of them. Neither is perfect, neither of them are really all that good, even. But they are not human. At this point, Elena and everyone else is well aware of what it means to be around predators. How close do you want to get to the cow that you’re going to eat for dinner? If i am being honest, i prefer Damon and Elena together, mostly because I think what Rose said is right, they challenge and better each other. Stefan is “safe”… but… They aren’t human. They don’t live by the same “rules” as human beings do.

18. Shan says:

I really give a lot of credit to Stefan who said, “After all I’ve done to you, I’m just honored to be here with you…”

When have we ever heard Damon say something like that to Elena? And he’s hurt her and her family way more! He thinks it’s his right to have Elena instead of an honor, as Stefan looks at it. I’m sorry, but I don’t care how “misunderstood” Damon comes off as, or why it’s worse that Stefan tries to be good…I wouldn’t want to be with someone who thinks they own the right to me instead of being grateful to have love returned in any way….

• Swarkles says:

Have we been watching the same show? Damon basically says that he doesn’t deserve Elena millions of times now. And Damon is slowly but surely becoming the good guy naturally, Stefan has to FORCE himself to become ‘good’ again. I love Stefan, but I’m sick of Stelena fans bashing Damon for the things he did in the past. THE PAST IS THE PAST, move on already.

• Fran says:

It’s hard to say THE PAST IS THE PAST when the past includes the things Damon has done to all these people!

• No one on the show is blameless. Didn’t Caroline just bring that up a few episodes ago? Stefan’s killed a bunch of people, Damon’s killed a bunch of people. Alaric, Caroline…the morals are pretty gray on this show. And I agree with Swarkles, Damon is always talking about how he doesn’t deserve Elena.

• Fran says:

No you’re right, no one is blameless and I agree that they’ve all done bad things. I just think personally some things Damon has done have been way worse than others. Just a personal opinion.

• Daisy says:

I think the difference is that a lot of the bad things that Damon has done have been done directly to Elena’s friends and family. It’s easier to let go of all the killing that Stefan has done to nameless/faceless strangers–harder to let go of what Damon has done to Jeremy and Caroline in particular. This is my feeling.

19. sarah says:

I truly loved everything about this episode! Well I was sad that Alaric died and then came back as a Vampire which he did not want to do. The next 2 episodes will be so good!
    I am not sure how I feel about Mabekah (Matt and Rebekah) however Julie Plec said IF either of them survive they may hook up next season…so I wonder if one of the dies.

20. Rebecca says:

Maybe I missed something,but……Where is Elijah? We’ve seen Kohl and Finn and Ester, but where is Elijah in all of this hoopla?

21. hello says:

I can’t help cheering for the supposed bad guys

22. stacey says:

I liked rebekah with damon but i think she would be great with matt!

23. Martin says:

I think, if she survives the season, Damon will get together with Meredith next season.

I do think, and hope, that Elena will choose Stefan and at least Ian Somerhalder can go to Paul Wesley, “You get to make out with my girl, well now I get to make out with yours”.

Rebekah to survive, please.

But that tease about him going to the school where her and Caroline are doesn’t look good.

Really wouldn’t be bothered if they killed off Bonnie, for me, she hasn’t been interesting since they killed off her Grams in season 1, she had a few little moments like when she brought it ti Klaus in the penultimate episode last season but nothing really.

If Alaric does die at the end of this, which is seeming very likely at this stage, i know people are like what will Jeremy and Elena do, which is obvious…

but, what will Damon do??. If Elena does choose Stefan which i think might happen, he’ll be left with no-one. That is why i like the Meredith idea.

24. Think I’ve fallen at least 3 eps behind with this, and about 5 with Supernatural.
    Between all the shoddy writing & random breaks all the time, I just can’t be bothered with CW shows any more.
    This annoys the hell out of me, as TVD had a very strong first 2 series IMO, but the whole originals thing is completely tiresome and Elena is becoming more unlikeable by the second (and she REALLY needs to quit smoking, she has the voice of an old woman!)

For me a lot of it feels like the writers are making it up on the fly with no plans in place for a decent arc.

25. MaryAnn says:

I really really loved the scenes in which Alaric decided to sacrifice himself to prevent his evil side from gaining a foothold in the world, and I really thought he was going to die. I just hope that the “reprieve” that he got when Bonnie forced him to change over will actually work out so that we get the good Alaric back eventually. I will be really disappointed if his earthly existence is saved only to stick around only a little while so that his evil side can wreak havoc and then die.

26. A says:

I’m tired of all the Originals. I preferred when the show wasn’t about Klaus and his manpain over his family. YAWN. The only one that doesn’t bother me is Elijah. I’m fine with them killing Klaus and taking Tyler with him since he disappears for half the episodes anyway.

Matt could hook up with Jeremy. There were vibes in the last episode.

27. annie says:

vampire diaries is very tiresome and its just going round and round the tenson between elena and damon is boring too…….there is no grip on the show anymore……i think revenge is a better show now…….its really interesting

28. Sonia says:

I am so sick of the Damon bashing on the show too. I watch a TV show to be entertained but all I feel is rage at the double standards on the show. I watch Damon and Stefan who have committed identical crimes still being treated differently and it gets my goat. I just can’t take it anymore. I’m giving it until the finale to see if anything changes, but if it doesn’t it’s goodbye from me. It’s just not worth my investment. Sorry, Julie Plec.

29. An effective measure will need to be taken up prevent water from collecting on the floor presenting a hazardous situation upon exiting.
    The reply is to accent your design with a newer type of
    marble known as Bardiglio. When possible, steer clear of
    purchasing a specialist handicap shower or bathroom.

30. Erma says:

I was recommended this website by my cousin. I am now not positive whether or not this publish
    is written through him as no one else recognise such special approximately my difficulty.
    You are incredible! Thanks!