Vampire Diaries Preview: 5 Scoopy Bits From the 'Really Sad' Decade Dance

Vampire Diaries Elena and StefanA dance should be a happy affair, but on The Vampire Diaries it usually ends in disaster. Tonight’s 1920s party (airing at 8/7c on The CW) will be no exception. “It’s a really sad [episode],” previews executive producer Julie Plec. On the fun side, “Tyler wears a badass fedora, Matt wields a rifle, Jeremy brandishes a crossbow, and the beautiful Caroline Forbes [finds] an excellent lipstick-dress color hue match and fends off multiple suitors.”

Below are 5 other scoopy bits from the hour, titled “Do Not Go Gentle,” which we had the good fortune of screening in advance.

Season Finale Guide: Get Exclusive Spoilers on 52 Big Finishes — Including Vampire Diaries!

•  While last week’s episode was a veritable valentine to Delena ‘shippers, tonight’s hour will give fans of Elena and her first love, Stefan, plenty to swoon about. Even though she just made out with his brother, Elena will call up her ex and ask him to be her date. “[Stefan]‘s been terrified of opening himself back up and letting those feelings in,” says Plec. Apprehension aside, he will gladly accept Elena’s offer, and yes, a certain someone will find out about it. But more surprising is the younger Salvatore’s reaction when Elena brings up her and Damon’s road trip adventure. “The cliché is the girl tears them apart, so how can we let the girl bring them even closer together, which of course makes her decision even more difficult?” muses Plec.

•  After the last episode’s big Alaric and Rebekah/Esther cliffhanger, it’s no surprise that the dark side of Elena and Jeremy’s guardian takes center stage. But if you think you know where this story is going, you might be in for a shock or two (or three).

Exclusive First Look: Aunt Jenna Makes Her Return to Vampire Diaries

Caroline’s the one who encourages Elena to ask Stefan to the dance, but did you know that in addition to being a Stelena ‘shipper, our favorite perky vamp is…anti-Matt/Elena? Out of concern for her friend, she’ll give some words of advice to her ex-boyfriend about getting too close to Elena. “People who love her and care about her tend to get hurt,” explains Plec, adding that a season finale flashback will reveal “what it was like when [Elena and Matt] were dating and that they were themselves in a troubled relationship. Even though she’s remembering a simpler time, her problems were just as complicated.”

•  Then there’s Caroline’s own busy love life… Yes, as the picture to the right reveals, she will be dancing with both Tyler and Klaus. So how does Tyler feel about his sire and his girl getting close? “He’s biting his tongue,” says Michael Trevino. But one guy clearly has the edge over the other – just maybe not forever.

Vampire Diaries Triangle Scoop: EP Julie Plec Confirms Elena Will Make Her Decision By Finale

•  Have some tissues at the ready because the waterworks will no doubt be flowing, especially during a particularly moving scene involving the entire cast, which Plec calls “the heart and soul” of the season.

1. Ava says:

“Jeremy brandishes a crossbow.” I literally just swooned. I love Jeremy and I love this badass version of Jeremy we’ve been seeing this season.

2. Lovebug says:

Grrrrr. Chicago is Preempting the show for a stupid white sux game?? Seriously we have to wait to Sunday?? Can’t they run it at 11 30? This blows!

3. silly says:

is there a funeral at the end of this episode??? the whole cast together? why else would they all be together?

4. Anon says:

Really looking forward to it tonight. TVD and TSC Thursday! YES

People better watch them both LIVE tonight.

• Stranger says:

Last ratings were 2.0 million viwers, according to the last article on this so i’m guessing once the brunette pick a brother it would only be 1 million no matter who’s watching this

5. JAKE says:

I think someone at TVLINE likes this show a little to much..Everyday there is something about this overly emotional horribly acted series. I cannot believe that people watch this B/S!!!

• George says:

I can’t believe people bother to leave comments in articles about shows they claim are “B/S”

• Ava says:

I’d rather they cover TVD than reality shows 24/7. Anything that encourages scripted television is ok by me!

• Jane says:

First off, this show is tremendously acted. Secondly, it has a very active following who are happy to get as many spoiler-y tidbits and updates as possible. Thirdly, absolutely nobody forced you to read this article. And fourthly, just be quiet.

• Stranger says:

I couldn’t agree more, the show sucks big time yet its article after article, day after day, it’s getting more annoying than the show itself

6. sarah says:

I am looking forward to tonight! I am so happy that I get the show on other stations as WGN is airing the baseball game but I do not have to wait until Sunday! I love this show and will have the kleenex ready as a Main Character dies tonight….I am racking my brain as to whom that will be. I know it will not be Elena, Damon, Stefan, Caroline, Tyler, Klaus or Rebekah. I can not see them killing the Alaric (Matt Davis will do both shows if the pilot he is on is picked up). So that leave Bonnie, Jeremy and Matt. So I think it will be Matt….I do not want it to be anyone.

• Manie says:

My vote is on Alaric or Matt, picture from next episode went out and the only character I haven’t see anywhere is from them both… Still, I’m saying Alaric… If Esther new “companion” is Alaric, Klaus will get rid of him. Matt would only be collateral damage and sadly they seems to be settle on keeping Jamie (but my biggest wish if for him to go)

• Patrick says:

Agreed. Jamie is the worst.

• Mike says:

Seriously who needs jaime we have a human and his name is matt! If they want bonnie to date someone else aside from jere they should try and ship matt/bonnie they were awesome in 3×05.

• Manie says:

I know right?! When I saw that episode I was like “Are they really going there?!” and then I was like “Meh! Why not…” I’m actually disappointed that they didn’t do it in the end. I’ve never been a big fan of Matt before S3, but I seriously think he would have been very good for Bonnie this season.

• Kristen says:

For the sake of not wanting to see Bonnie hurt by the death of yet another person close to her, I hope Jamie survives, and I think he will for now. My money is on Alaric. I think Matt will stay safe as the only human boy really left in all this. Jeremy will be fine – he’s their Sixth Sense… they can’t off him. Maybe the person in question doesn’t necessarily die? I’m just trying to make myself feel better, b/c I love Alaric.

7. Susy says:

I wonder who will die. Jamie? Alaric? Matt? Jeremy? Tyler? Bonnie? The suspense is killing me! I can’t wait until tonight!

8. Scott says:

They all do…they are ending the series

9. Sophie says:

Please, not Jeremy!

10. SMH says:

Nothing about Bonnie? Again. Really sick of having Caroline and her perfectness shoved down my throat. Producer bias is getting really old now. Either kill off Bonnie or give the girl a decent storyline, love interest or family for that matter. The Bonnie\Jamie thing is almost as ridiculous as Klaroline.

11. Jj says:

All the originals can die.. except for Klaus; he keeps things interesting! Elena needs to choose a brother, and now! They can’t kill Jeremy, he is finally becoming a really interesting character, and he just came back to the show. Also must agree with SMH, the Bonnie/Jamie pairing is far too boring and predictable to be interesting, and Klaroline is also stupid.

12. Maryam says:

Let the girl choose Stefan and leave Damon alone to find love with a girl who actually knows she loves him! Sick and tired of Damon always being second choice and the bad option because he behaves and acts like a vampire.Stefan and Elena can sail off in the denial boat all they want but please let Damon out of this one sided love triangle.