Exclusive: Glee Goes Gaga at Nationals, Rachel Channels Celine Dion

Get More: Exclusive, News

Glee‘s latest trip to Nationals is shaping up to be a real monster ball. TVLine has obtained the set list for the May 15 singoff, and it includes Lady Gaga‘s smash, “Edge of Glory.”

But who’ll be stepping into the pop star’s platform boots? And, for that matter, what other numbers are up?

More Glee: Spectacular May Sweeps/Finale Spoilers

The all-female Troubletones will be belting out “Glory,” thus fanning the flames of the Fox hit’s obsession with Gaga. And the erstwhile Stefani Germanotti won’t be the only diva getting her due during the two-hour episode: Rachel will perform a cover of Celine Dion’s “It’s All Coming Back to Me Now,” and New Directions are serving Meat Loaf’s “Paradise By the Dashboard Light.” (Fun fact: Loaf also covered “It’s All Coming Back to Me Now.”)

As previously reported, Lindsay Lohan will play one of the judges at Nationals.

Thoughts? Do you approve of the set list? Is there a song you’re still dying to hear Glee tackle that the show hasn’t? Sound off below!

Comments (42)

• lol nothing extras from filming didn’t tell use already with pictures of the programs, but thanks anyways I guess

Comment by amy – April 26, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As someone who has no idea who the extras are or where to find the pictures they post (nor any interest in looking for them), I appreciate Ausiello sharing this information.

Comment by Marissa – April 26, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And as someone who simply doesn’t have time to scour every corner of the WWW looking for every tiny scrap of Glee knowledge, I agree, Marissa. Thanks Aus…I’m a happy Aus-Hole.

Comment by LC – April 26, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL glad I’m not only one who found Amy’s “scoop” t be a bit on the scary/stalkery side. I’ll take my Glee news from real web sites, thank you.

Comment by lauren – April 26, 2012 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let’s all pay attention to amy, who can’t even form coherent and grammatical sentences.

Comment by Mickey D – April 27, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t the theme at nationals supposed to be vintage? More continuity issues…

Comment by Bea – April 26, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe all of the songs don’t have to be vintage — two out of three are, maybe one is like, group choice or something.

Comment by KSM – April 26, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad this is the last competition that the Troubletones will be part of. Bummed they are the ones doing Edge of Glory.

Comment by Lucy – April 26, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree!

Comment by Guest – April 26, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Weren’t they disbanded/ became part of ND and don’t exist on their own anymore?

Comment by etc – April 26, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought one of their stipulations when they joined ND again was that the Troubletones get to sing at least one song separately from ND…

Comment by lady.lightning – April 26, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. IMO it’s not like ND is winning with all those non-ND TT cheerleader / dancers as supposedly part of the group. And like Regionals that will be TWO numbers (out of 3) where ALL the guys are not on stage or singing AT ALL. SUCKS! It’s not even like a ND win (or loss) to me.

Comment by Linda – April 26, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, because there’s not enough of the guys every single week.

Comment by Jane – April 26, 2012 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that’s gonna be just awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Natasha – April 26, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reminds me of Community’s Glee parody.

Comment by amy – April 26, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Regionals was going to be the “vintage” theme?

Comment by ChuckieChk – April 26, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are the TTs bring back their personal dancers who aren’t part of the group? That’s the stupidest deal ever. How about a real scoop is there any chance we see both rounds of the competition or is this it?

Comment by Jos – April 26, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Kurt was in on Edge of Glory. He was great with Bad Romance and Born This Way. And I’m tried of Rachel solos for competitions. I feel like these should be group numbers.

Comment by Jenny – April 26, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nothing new we already knew this

Comment by Rudt – April 26, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FYI – “It’s All Coming Back To Me” was originally supposed to be on Bat 2. Meatloaf performed it during that tour. It didn’t fit into the storyline of the album.

That is perhaps the online Celine Dion sing I like. I wonder how Lea Michelle will handle it.

Comment by JennK – April 26, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness they are letting Rachel have a solo that is not an original song, now they might actually win.

Comment by jane – April 26, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To be fair, Edge of Glory, while a contemporary choice, is also Lady Gaga’s homage to the 80s.

Comment by AMarie – April 26, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like em all

Comment by Boiler – April 26, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that they should have given someone else a chance to do a Nationals solo this year. I mean they didn’t win with her singing last year so…..maybe let someone else sing. But it’s whatever, I really shouldn’t be surprised at any rate. She has a great voice and I am sure she will do fine.

Comment by Divine Intervention – April 26, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you serious? Even if you don’t like Rachel, she has been the lead, or at least the female lead, since the pilot, and this is Nationals of her senior year. Of course she’s doing a solo!

Comment by Marie – April 26, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Does Rachel singing ‘It’s All Coming Back To Me Now’ mean that in the episodes leading up to Nationals we gonna have more(!) Finchel drama or even a break-up?! Either way, can’t wait to hear Rachel sing this song!!! She’s gonna kill it!

Comment by benirudd – April 26, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i don’t really understand how they interpret the so called “theme” of show choir competition. Regionals was like overcoming adversity or something like that so “stronger” “stand” “fly/fly” all fit but what about vintage…does that mean vintage songs, vintage dsong subjects, vintage music genres?
    BTW I can totally picture Santana doing EOG.

Comment by cyclone – April 26, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ick. Sick of the Troubletones! Rachel is going to kill “It’s All Coming Back to Me”!

Comment by Lisa – April 26, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing they win this year (no spoiler, no inside information, just guessing b/c its the last competition for the original group before graduation). I also assume they’ll be signing “Don’t Stop Believing” at some point during the last episode of the season (maybe at graduation).

Comment by dan – April 26, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so over Rachel singing everything, especially when Mercedes is a senior has she has yet to have a solo in competition. Pretty sure this is the last season I’ll be watching of Glee.

Comment by Leila – April 26, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am tired of glee doing GAGA. Especially “Edge of Glory”. That is not “vintage”? Also could Rachel’s solo be ominous of the end of “Finchel”? Lets hope not. I do wonder if she will end up pregnant at the end of the season and end up in Ohio forever.

Comment by Miwako Davison – April 26, 2012 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No! Rachel stuck in Ohio, pregnant?! No freakin way. I will hunt Ryan Murphy down and kick his ass.

Comment by benirudd – April 26, 2012 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t get the hate towards the Troubletones. Rumor Has it/Someone Like You and I Will Survive/Survivor were 2 of the best songs in all 3 seasons. I actually thought they deserved to win over ND.

Comment by Jermey – April 26, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But they didn’t (and personally, I didn’t really like their I Will Survive/Survivor performance, though I agree about the Adele mashup). My “hate” isn’t that Mercedes and Santana are featured — they deserve it (sorry but I can’t really say the same vocal-wise for Britany or Sugar– at least not at nationals). My hate is they way they got their solos (akin to pouting and blackmail) and that they are being backed by a bunch of randoms, while characters like Mike, Puck, Artie, and Tina (who have always been loyal and never left New Directions) languish in the background. For many of them, this is senior year. If it were the former TT (current ND members) being backed by New Directions, I’d be better able to swallow it.

My other problem is that the lesson of regionals was that New Directions beat the TT because they worked as a group — sharing the spotlight. Without a single star dominating. And despite what the TTs said, it wasn’t that they didn’t want one person to dominate the solos. They just wanted it to be them. Hardly admirable. They were no better than those they criticized. During the whole storyline they acted like spoiled brats and are now being rewarded for it at the expense of others. That’s what’s hard for me to swallow.

Comment by Kris – April 26, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Merry me. I agree so much with this. I really loved Santana’s Valerie solo, and it was as a ND member, not TT. And I do think Mercedes deserves a solo at a competition. But they’re being rewarded for leaving the group. They want a solo, they should fight for it like they did last year at Nationals when they auditioned. When Rachel left ND on S1 and came back, Mercedes still had the solo, and Rachel dealt with it. She just got the solo cause the other group stole ther songs so Rachel singing was a last minute thing. Nobody, not even Rachel, should be guaranteed to sing at a competition.

Comment by John – May 1, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s really hard to like this show 99% of the time.

Comment by Hali – April 26, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • iTunes has the set list on the Graduation pre-order album download. I am looking forward to this episode. I try to just enjoy the music, the talents and the show without too much analyzing.

Comment by JAO – April 26, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see how a Lady Gaga number & a Celine number qualify as “vintage”! :) The power of “Paradise By The Dashboard Lights” must be so amazing that it dazzles the judges into thinking all of the songs fit that category, right? (SO excited for “Paradise” — one of the best songs ever, and made for show choir/acting out.)

Comment by STW – April 27, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I CANT WAIT TO SEE CELINE DION NUMBER :D

Comment by CelineDionJessieJFan (@CelineDionFan1) – May 1, 2012 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the theme for Nationals was “Vintage”? How is Vocal Adrenaline doing Nicki Minaj song “Starships” vintage? Just curious.

Comment by Tonya Pozey – May 1, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • VA is also doing “Pinball Wizard” by The Who. “Paradise” is considered vintage, it was on Bat 1 released in 1977. And Tina will be in the Gaga song so it’s not all Troubletones

Comment by Stephanie – May 2, 2012 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping for some original music. “Written” by the characters. Bummed that that’s not happening.

And I’m not a fan of Edge of Glory, so I’m not happy with the song choice. Why couldn’t it be Marry the Night, or You and I?

Comment by Miranda Valenti (@EmmeElleVee) – May 1, 2012 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post