Ratings: Private Practice, Glee Rebound, Cougar Town Inches Up, L.A. Complex DOA

Get More: Ratings

It appears Private Practice fans finally got the memo about the show’s new timeslot.

In its second Tuesday outing, the Grey’s spinoff drew 8.3 million viewers and a 2.2 demo rating — a 29 percent jump over last week. Even more impressive, it stands as PPP‘s most-watched telecast in 18 months.

With CBS in encore mode, several shows saw bumps.

Glee‘s Whitney Houston tribute attracted 6.9 million sets up eyeballs and a 2.7 in the demo, up from last week’s all-time low of 6.2 mil/2.4. Strangely, lead-out New Girl actually slipped a tenth in the demo (to 2.6) while remaining steady in total viewers (5.2 mil).

Elsewhere on the night…

* Cougar Town posted week-to-week increases of 11 percent in viewers (5 mil) and 7 percent in the demo (1.5).

* The CW’s new soap L.A. Complex opened (and closed?) with an anemic 600K viewers and a 0.3 rating.

Comments (78)

• YAY Private Practice fans!!! Keep it up. We’ll definitely get a season 6 if this keeps up!

Comment by Danielle H – April 25, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the show, but I think they’re at the point where they could stop at a satisfying place: Addison has her baby; Pete and Violet are reconciling; Cooper and Charlotte are strong despite their struggles with Mason; and it looks like Amanda will get together with Sheldon. Very good place to end.

Comment by susela – April 25, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Curiousity had me watching L.A. Complex, can I have that hour back. It was bad.

Comment by wrstlgirl – April 25, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CW should’ve played a rerun of Ringer. Forget complex and give Ringer another season

Comment by candi – April 25, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Awesome idea! I hope the CW powers-that-be are reading the comments section.

Comment by Joan – April 25, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am totally on board with this. Save Ringer!!!

Comment by Ed – April 25, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Could not agree more. Ringer needs to be back next season!! Especially to see the aftermath of all the things that were revealed in the season finale.

Comment by Meghan – April 25, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Meghan! You are SOOO right! That finale definitely had me at the edge of my seat. Season 2. No IFs ANDs or BUTs about it.

Comment by Sloan – April 26, 2012 04:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They should have started rerunning Ringer from the beginning without a single interruption. That would get the ratings up. Ringer is like LOST. It can’t have breaks or else it ruins the flow.

Comment by Thereasonsy – April 25, 2012 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly! I missed the first couple of episodes after it came back from hiatus, so I couldn’t watch the remainder of the season since I missed so much. They’re just sitting there on my DVR. I was hoping they’d show reruns so I could catch up.

Comment by Mikael – April 26, 2012 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee needs to get Darren Criss off this show, his acting is terrible!!! He’s ruining it, last night’s episode Blaine’s scenes gave me second hand embarrassment, he’s a nice guy but his acting sucks so bad. Give his screm time to a good actor as Lea Michele, Naya Rivera, Chris Colfer, anybody please!

Comment by Camila – April 25, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I personally disagree about Darren, but I respect your opinion. But if you think his screen time should be given to someone else, I wouldn’t pick Lea, Naya or Chris, as they all get plenty as it is. If we were taking screen time off someone to give it to someone else, it would have to be poor Jenna, who is lucky if she gets a line an episode. Give the girl a story!

Comment by Rosie – April 25, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why so pressed? You Jelly? Haters to the left cause their lives ain’t goin’ the right way. Darren Criss is everything.

Comment by trev – April 25, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You can’t simply string words together and pray for meaning.

Comment by Mía – April 25, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Mia, I “pray” that you quit typing stupid comments.

Comment by Elyse – April 25, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’ll reserve the “stupid comments” for trev. Thanks Elyse <3

Comment by Mía – April 25, 2012 11:36 AM PDT
          • And the winner is . . . Mia. Not even close really. Criss is really really awful.

Comment by crissfan2000 – April 25, 2012 07:23 PM PDT
        • WINNER!!! Comment of the day!

Comment by davey – April 25, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had such second hand embarrassment watching his Whitney song last night.

Comment by Meg – April 25, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Eh…you lost me when you said give his screen time to Lea Michele. No thank you.

Comment by Josh – April 25, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about 90210?

Comment by sarah – April 25, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • bad as well 1,1! Think GG and 90210 will get 13 episode seasons just to wrap things up! :( It’s a shame 90210 got really good in these last couple of weeks! But the CW is killing it with 3 episode and than comes a month break!

Comment by Stay – April 25, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually like the LA Complex, but the only reason I knew it was on was because EW told me so. I never saw a single commercial for it. Was it marketed at all?

Comment by Andie – April 25, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The CW marketed the hell out of it. Every commercial break for the last few weeks. Everytime I turned to that channel I saw it.

Comment by wrstlgirl – April 25, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I saw multiple commercials for it, but I didn’t remember the premiere date.

Comment by Meg – April 25, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh yeah…I saw commericals for the show on different channels and there were ads on all kinds of websites. I even heard an ad on the radio. It sucks more people didn’t watch, because it was pretty good.

Comment by Amber – April 25, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was promoted a lot. Granted the only shows I watch on the CW are 90210 and Ringer, but I swear every commercial break had a promo for it, and every single time I kept thinking to myself. Didn’t the CW just try a similar premise with Melrose Place and it failed?

Comment by Ed – April 25, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They promoted the absolute hell out of it! I watch so many of The CW’s shows and there was a preview for it almost every commercial break for the past month. It was a bad idea to even air it-they should have saved Ringer for May Sweeps as it would have gotten better ratings!

Comment by DWhitney89 – April 25, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No it wouldn’t have, it would have done worse. If you can’t count on people to watch it when nothing’s on, why would people watch when everything’s on?

Comment by dude – April 25, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How did you not see a commercial for it? There were like ten commercials for it alone during the One Tree Hill finale. There were also countless commercials for it during Hart of Dixie and The Vampire Diaries. I can’t speak for other show because I don’t watch any other shows on The CW, but I am sure they had plenty of commercials for LA Complex too.

Comment by Liz – April 25, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Glee rose. When I posted last week explaining why I thought it had dropped so dramatically (the disco theme putting people off, shown by the fact that the ep had the worst itunes sales ever), I was asked what my excuse was gonna be the following week when it fell even more with no disco theme to blame. Happy this has not been the case =)

Comment by Rachel – April 25, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But you can attribute the increase to the episode being advertised as a tribute to Whitney. Their tributes always raise the ratings.

Comment by Josh – April 25, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Last week was really sort of a BeeGees tribute, and Ryan Murphy went so far as to put one of the Gibbs in a coma for publicity. You can’t really stand by the tribute argument. ;)

Comment by Jane – April 25, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I actually pointed that out when the user commented saying what excuse I was going to use next week when the ratings plummeted. I pointed out to him the fact that next week is a tribute and they normally do well, but I absolutely stand by the fact that the disco theme played some part in the ratings drop, as no ep, tribute or not, has ever done that badly. How big an impact, I have no idea, but I think the boost this week has shown that, at least in part, the disco theme didn’t help the ratings at all last week.

And as someone else already pointed out, last weeks series low rating was actually for a tribute ep, so it’s definitely not the case that tribute ep = high ratings.

Comment by Rachel – April 25, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PP was great last night!! so glad fans followed it to tuesday!

Comment by amberjj – April 25, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! SO happy to see that Private Practice’s ratings went up this week! =)

Comment by Heather – April 25, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Was the only thing on…..simmer down

Comment by Shaun – April 25, 2012 11:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope The L.A. Complex gets canceled after next week’s episode. :-(

Comment by bad kevin – April 25, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because???? Ever heard of not watching? Honestly don’t understand people who hope a show gets canceled. There’s lots of other things on TV. I’m sure you and it can coexist.

Comment by dude – April 25, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Doesn’t matter on what the network’s decision is going to be depending on ratings. At least go to the website: tvbythenumbers.com.

Comment by bad kevin – April 25, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It can’t be cancelled, cuz it’s already aired in its completion on Much Music in Canada. It’s a CANADIAN show, the CW is just importing it. It also has an additional 13 eps ordered, so it must have been good enough for Much Music, although I never watch the channel. Mind you, I never really watch TV, period.

Comment by Ashley – April 27, 2012 12:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One question: has a pilot on a network ever had lower than what LA complex did last night?

Comment by Nico – April 25, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope. There was a story on Entertainment Weekly that said it had the lowest premiere numbers fo for a network pilot in the history of the ratings system…in other words, the CW failed…again.

Comment by DWhitney89 – April 25, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And it still did better than any episode that aired in Canada. One episode was watched by 16 thousand people.

Comment by dude – April 25, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s on a cable channel, in a country with 35 million people. I’m amazed when something gets 12 million viewers in the States. That just seems insanely high to me.

Comment by Ashley – April 27, 2012 12:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay for better PP ratings…both PP and Glee were great last night. Totally on board with whoever said give Ringer another season! I don’t think LA complex wtas ever a threat to Ringer coming back next fall though…

Comment by Robin – April 25, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woooohooo for PP! I hope it stays on the rise or at least keeps steady….because we need another season!!

Comment by llws – April 25, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually really enjoyed la complex

Comment by Sue – April 25, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LA Complex is actually a good show, what Melrose Place should have been. I have seen all the first season ( production on season 2 has started ) and it will shock in the last 5 minutes.

Comment by Mick – April 25, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last five minutes of episode 2

Comment by Mick – April 25, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I respect your opinion but I’m skeptical, last night’s episode was terrible, IMHO. Doubt I’ll watch again. Lots of other quality shows that I know I can count on to deliver each week.

Comment by wrstlgirl – April 25, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I wouldn’t have called it terrible but the pilot was not the show’s best work. The storyline most people are excited about hasn’t started yet and it leads to one of my favourite/most shocking scenes I’ve ever seen on television in the finale.

Comment by dude – April 25, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know that demo is what matters but New Girl’s total viewership at barely 5Million is bad. I mean it pains me that a show nowadays is considered a hit with that low amount of eyeballs tuning in.

Comment by Julie – April 25, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think half hour shows are cut some slack.

Comment by Shaun – April 25, 2012 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikitaaaaaaaa

Comment by CJ – April 25, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched all 6 eps of LA Complex from Canada’s showings and it is AWESOME and gets better and better with each episode.

Comment by penelope – April 25, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah for Cougar Town. Now if they move it away from that horrible Tim Allen show it can start getting the viewers it deserves.

I wish we lived in a world where we could actually accurately measure viewership of shows. Who knows, maybe Cougar Town and Community are the most popular shows. ;)

Comment by bradnies – April 25, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last Man Standing with Tim Allen is an excellent show. I love both Cougar Town and LMS. There are way worse shows on TV than LMS.

Comment by TiaGata – April 25, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, they definitely moved it away from Tim Allen’s show last night where I live. Apparently it came on at 1:07 am here because they ran some local medical show in its place. Not bad enough it took so long for ABC to put it back on the schedule, but now local affiliates get to mess with it as well.

And, I like both shows as well. I mean, Last Man Standing is basically Home Improvement with 3 daughters instead of 3 sons. I would imagine that is probably exactly how it was pitched to the network as well. hehe

Comment by The Squatch – April 25, 2012 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LA Complex was pretty good. I will stick with it and hopefully the ratings will improve. Is it a cheaper show for The CW since it is Canadian based and produced there?

Comment by tvaddict – April 25, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For the most part yes. They didn’t pay for production at all so it was pretty cheap for them but at the same time, if the ratings stay at this level it might be hard to get people to advertise.

Comment by dude – April 25, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least LAC bomb proves that Ringer did have a loyal audience that followed it and not people who will watch anything. Another factor about Ringer’s ratings in the winter/spring – often it’s lead-in was a repeat. Not many episodes had new 90210 in front it. Hopefully, this will give CW execs a second look at Ringer and order a second season. They finally worked out the kinks during last eight or so eps.

Comment by ChicagoDan – April 25, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ringer is not coming back, it has zero chance of being renewed, it was heavily promoted all season and was aired on one of the better nights for the CW to get ratings and it badly failed, the fact that its numbers started off solidly and then continued to keep falling will make sure it has no future.

Comment by Dave – April 25, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 90210 isnt even worth watching anymore. Silver has now slept with every guy in the group. The only thing that saves this show is Naomi hopefully next week when Max returns it gets better but i doubt it with the Liam/Navid/Silver stuff coming up. Seriously could they not come up with something new? It the same storyline as Ethan/Dixon/Silver

Comment by ggny – April 25, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I won’t be heartbroken if the CW doesn’t show the la complex, I will just catch online, its foremost a Canadian show, as long as it okay up there I’m cool

Comment by James P. – April 25, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, the ratings sucked here to so I’d be worried.

Comment by dude – April 25, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so happy that L.A Complex failed. TOO BAD SO SAD. Should of stuck with Melrose Place 2.0 and Heather Locklear and such… this cheap imitation was not even worth my tuning in !! Goodbye so long.. now get rid of the fake 90210 that has nothing to do with BH90210 so is not a spinoff !!

Comment by tvnewsplus – April 25, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really bummed that The LA Complex did so terribly…I saw all six episodes when they aired in Canada, and it’s really better quality than most of what The CW churns out these days! I’m glad its ratings here more or less don’t matter.

Comment by Alex – April 25, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ffs kill of Pete and Violet already. Stop shoving the couple down people’s throat when there is no chemistry there.

Comment by Sana – April 25, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I seriously can hardly stand them. Otherwise a great show is made ordinary by this relationship.

Comment by Martyna – April 25, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sooo happy PP had good ratings last night!! In my opinion, it’s the best show on tv. Needs more seasons!!

Comment by Kellsi – April 25, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • L.A. Complex is the worst CW series since TBL: The Beautiful Life (the one starring Mischa Barton & Corbin Bleu of HSM Fame).

Comment by bad kevin – April 25, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good now use this as an excuse to save Nikita…

Comment by David – April 25, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yayyyyyy PP finally went up. That was impressive. Hope it keeps up like this ’cause we need another season

Comment by Jenny – April 25, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It needs to shut down,like soon

Comment by Shaun – April 25, 2012 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had no intention of watching LA Complex based on the ads. I recorded it by mistake and I was pleasantly surprised. I’d watch it going forward.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – April 26, 2012 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post