Dexter Exclusive: Rome's Ray Stevenson Joins Cast – Is He Season 7′s Big Bad?

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

In the first piece of casting for the show’s upcoming seventh season, Dexter has tapped Rome actor Ray Stevenson to join the ensemble in a major recurring role, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The Irish thesp will play a high-ranking member of an Eastern European crime ring who arrives in Miami determined to learn who killed one of his associates.

Controversy: Showtime Boss Defends Dexter‘s Incesty Twist

No further details were available, including whether Stevenson will function as the new season’s Big Bad.

Dexter‘s seventh season is set to premiere Sunday, Sept. 30.

Comments (29)

• They’ve got a lot of work to do. Last season was the worst in Dexter’s history. The absolute worst.

Comment by RLS – April 24, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For me Season 3 will always take the cake. But yeah, last season was not very good. It had a strong start, but then promptly drove itself off a cliff.

Comment by DL – April 24, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you on S6 being the worst. Even S3 and S5 looked great compared to S6

Comment by Spoiler Junkie – April 24, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. The season started off strong but it really went downhill after Brother Sam died. Then it got even worse after the “surprise” reveal that Gellar was dead all along. Colin Hanks did fine with the material he was given but in the end he just came off a comical villain.

Comment by Clay – April 24, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No it wasn’t. it was very well done.

Comment by R.J. – April 25, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Deb and Dexter’s incestuous relationship will be season seven’s “Big Bad”.

Comment by Luke – April 24, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol, we can only hope Dexter kills it in the most horrifying way possible.

Comment by Ava – April 24, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ahahah this!

Comment by maf23 – April 24, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe the reveal about Dexter as a killer has already dampened Deb’s ‘love’ for him. One can hope.

Comment by Spoiler Junkie – April 24, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I read somewhere that a producer or writer or something said it didn’t :(

Comment by erin – April 24, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ray Stevenson is going to be co-starring in G.I. Joe: Retaliation on June 29th. He’s playing the role of Firefly, COBRA’s second-in-command.

Comment by bad kevin – April 24, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love Ray, but not sure I can handle Dexter. I almost wish my fav actors would stop getting juicy roles. My TV watching dance card is nearly full!

Comment by kirads09 – April 24, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t know, don’t care. Dexter is embarrassingly bad at this point. Its only real value now is giving more viewers to Homeland.

Comment by Superhero – April 24, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Season 6 is not that bad. It IS better than 95% of what’s on television and Dexter at it’s high points was some of the greatest television ever made. Season 1 and Season 2 of Dexter were THE BEST imo…I liked it better then Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc

Comment by bob loblaw – July 7, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope Dexter will end in 2013 after eight seasons and giving Homeland a huge boost.

Comment by bad kevin – April 24, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait! I love him from back in his “Rome” days. He’ll rock on Dexter.

Comment by Ali – April 24, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter still rocks, Michael was born to play this guy.

Comment by Clifford Manosh – April 24, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter is AMAZING. end of story

Comment by Peter Bishop (@_PeterBishop_) – April 25, 2012 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter is the best show ever and I do agree Michael was born for this role. I hope they make more then just 2 more seasons.

Comment by Moe Yousef – May 15, 2012 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season five was by far the worst in my opinion. Lumen came along far too soon (not to mention Julia Stiles is a terrible actress…IMO, and a lot of people I know), he grieved Rita for ONE freaking episode really out of the entire season…and the ENTIRE season was spent with him and Lumen hunting down all of Jordan Chase’s guys. It was all completely predictable. The only thing UNPREDICTABLE about the WHOLE season was when Deb caught them (well, behind the sheet) & let them go. I got so sick of listening to Lumen’s bitching and her, “I remember he always folded his tie. He always fumbled with his watch.” Blah, blah, blah. I was RELIEVED to see her go. Season six sucked too but at least it had an appearance by Christian Camargo (his deceased brother). They should have let Christian escape in season one. Then they could end Dexter with season five and the return of the ITK, which is what started it all (for us, at least). It could have had a lot of flashbacks of Brian’s childhood, showing what Dex would have become without “The Code.” Nothing beats seasons one and two. Doakes and his brother were spectacular. I love Dexter and will continue watching as long as it is on, but like Breaking Bad, they should have gone out after the fifth season – the show is just dragging now…

Comment by Megan Smith Bowen – May 20, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope they don’t dwell on the “Deb Loves Dexter” thing too long. I know they’re not blood related, but it’s still creepy. And I thought the creepy video game guy who’s obsessed with Dexter was going to be the next Big Bad? Maybe that gets resolved quickly or Dexter has to deal with 2 different Big Bads. That would be different.

Comment by Mikael – May 23, 2012 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoy Dexter and I DON”T think it needs to go away to enjoy Homeland, another favorite show. I have a DVR and tape and watch it all. Nothing worse then to get into a
    TV show series and find out it’s canceled.

Comment by jean – May 29, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sooo bad, last season. remember the scene with the dead people on horses, etc? are you going to tell me colin hanks lifted everybody up on to their horses, arranged everything there surreptitiously? set up elaborate death displays in public places?

terrible season, terrible villain: makes that typecast Lithgow appear fresh and ingenius.

COLIN HANKS: mY dad bought me this job

Comment by davely – May 31, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish DEXTER would just do the series finale already. While I may love the show, it’s starting to drag on and isn’t as great as it started out. Season 4 was the best and everything after just went downhill. I want an amazing series finale that will leave us breathless and overwhelmingly happy that we got to experience it; not a show where we will be saying “oh they finally ended it? Wait, when was the last time I watched it? Hmm… Maybe I should catch up.” I get that they just want to make money, but I would hate to see it end up like that. I’d love one that goes down in history as an amazing series not a series that is just forgotten about as soon as it ends. Here’s hoping for a better season 7 and an end soon.

Comment by Whit – June 1, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • haha Season 6 was great in a way that 4 and 2 were. 3 had an amazing Jimmy Smits but not much else. And 5 sucked. Anyone who says Season 6 sucked just doesn’t have good taste.

Comment by Andrew Martin Dodson – June 2, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ray Stevenson is going to add something different for Dexter. I think it will give Dexter a challenge.

Comment by iluvtv – October 28, 2012 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ray Stevenson will bring class to Dexter. I can’t wait to watch him on Dexter. I think this season has some sharp curves coming.

Comment by iluvtv – October 28, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post