Exclusive

Dexter Exclusive: Rome's Ray Stevenson Joins Cast – Is He Season 7's Big Bad?

In the first piece of casting for the show’s upcoming seventh season, Dexter has tapped Rome actor Ray Stevenson to join the ensemble in a major recurring role, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The Irish thesp will play a high-ranking member of an Eastern European crime ring who arrives in Miami determined to learn who killed one of his associates.

Controversy: Showtime Boss Defends Dexter‘s Incesty Twist

No further details were available, including whether Stevenson will function as the new season’s Big Bad.

Dexter‘s seventh season is set to premiere Sunday, Sept. 30.

1. RLS says:

They’ve got a lot of work to do. Last season was the worst in Dexter’s history. The absolute worst.

• DL says:

For me Season 3 will always take the cake. But yeah, last season was not very good. It had a strong start, but then promptly drove itself off a cliff.

• Spoiler Junkie says:

Totally agree with you on S6 being the worst. Even S3 and S5 looked great compared to S6

• Clay says:

I agree. The season started off strong but it really went downhill after Brother Sam died. Then it got even worse after the “surprise” reveal that Gellar was dead all along. Colin Hanks did fine with the material he was given but in the end he just came off a comical villain.

• R.J. says:

No it wasn’t. it was very well done.

2. Luke says:

I think Deb and Dexter’s incestuous relationship will be season seven’s “Big Bad”.

3. bad kevin says:

Ray Stevenson is going to be co-starring in G.I. Joe: Retaliation on June 29th. He’s playing the role of Firefly, COBRA’s second-in-command.

4. kirads09 says:

I absolutely love Ray, but not sure I can handle Dexter. I almost wish my fav actors would stop getting juicy roles. My TV watching dance card is nearly full!

5. Superhero says:

Don’t know, don’t care. Dexter is embarrassingly bad at this point. Its only real value now is giving more viewers to Homeland.

• bob loblaw says:

Season 6 is not that bad. It IS better than 95% of what’s on television and Dexter at it’s high points was some of the greatest television ever made. Season 1 and Season 2 of Dexter were THE BEST imo…I liked it better then Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc

6. bad kevin says:

Hope Dexter will end in 2013 after eight seasons and giving Homeland a huge boost.

7. Ali says:

I can’t wait! I love him from back in his “Rome” days. He’ll rock on Dexter.

8. Dexter still rocks, Michael was born to play this guy.

9. Dexter is AMAZING. end of story

10. Moe Yousef says:

Dexter is the best show ever and I do agree Michael was born for this role. I hope they make more then just 2 more seasons.

11. Season five was by far the worst in my opinion. Lumen came along far too soon (not to mention Julia Stiles is a terrible actress…IMO, and a lot of people I know), he grieved Rita for ONE freaking episode really out of the entire season…and the ENTIRE season was spent with him and Lumen hunting down all of Jordan Chase’s guys. It was all completely predictable. The only thing UNPREDICTABLE about the WHOLE season was when Deb caught them (well, behind the sheet) & let them go. I got so sick of listening to Lumen’s bitching and her, “I remember he always folded his tie. He always fumbled with his watch.” Blah, blah, blah. I was RELIEVED to see her go. Season six sucked too but at least it had an appearance by Christian Camargo (his deceased brother). They should have let Christian escape in season one. Then they could end Dexter with season five and the return of the ITK, which is what started it all (for us, at least). It could have had a lot of flashbacks of Brian’s childhood, showing what Dex would have become without “The Code.” Nothing beats seasons one and two. Doakes and his brother were spectacular. I love Dexter and will continue watching as long as it is on, but like Breaking Bad, they should have gone out after the fifth season – the show is just dragging now…

12. Mikael says:

I just hope they don’t dwell on the “Deb Loves Dexter” thing too long. I know they’re not blood related, but it’s still creepy. And I thought the creepy video game guy who’s obsessed with Dexter was going to be the next Big Bad? Maybe that gets resolved quickly or Dexter has to deal with 2 different Big Bads. That would be different.

13. jean says:

I really enjoy Dexter and I DON”T think it needs to go away to enjoy Homeland, another favorite show. I have a DVR and tape and watch it all. Nothing worse then to get into a
    TV show series and find out it’s canceled.

14. davely says:

sooo bad, last season. remember the scene with the dead people on horses, etc? are you going to tell me colin hanks lifted everybody up on to their horses, arranged everything there surreptitiously? set up elaborate death displays in public places?

terrible season, terrible villain: makes that typecast Lithgow appear fresh and ingenius.

COLIN HANKS: mY dad bought me this job

15. Whit says:

I wish DEXTER would just do the series finale already. While I may love the show, it’s starting to drag on and isn’t as great as it started out. Season 4 was the best and everything after just went downhill. I want an amazing series finale that will leave us breathless and overwhelmingly happy that we got to experience it; not a show where we will be saying “oh they finally ended it? Wait, when was the last time I watched it? Hmm… Maybe I should catch up.” I get that they just want to make money, but I would hate to see it end up like that. I’d love one that goes down in history as an amazing series not a series that is just forgotten about as soon as it ends. Here’s hoping for a better season 7 and an end soon.

16. Andrew Martin Dodson says:

haha Season 6 was great in a way that 4 and 2 were. 3 had an amazing Jimmy Smits but not much else. And 5 sucked. Anyone who says Season 6 sucked just doesn’t have good taste.

17. iluvtv says:

Ray Stevenson is going to add something different for Dexter. I think it will give Dexter a challenge.

18. iluvtv says:

Ray Stevenson will bring class to Dexter. I can’t wait to watch him on Dexter. I think this season has some sharp curves coming.