The Voice Recap: Where There's Gas There's Fire [Updated]

“Team Cee Lo is where it’s at,” declared rival coach Christina Aguilera, midway through this week’s quarterfinal round of The Voice. This in spite of the fact that the cat-stroking, pajama-wearing Gnarls Barkley frontman kicked off the episode with a fit of flatulence that had Xtina, Adam Levine, and Blake Shelton alternating between giggles and gags.

And yet while the sweet smell of success clung to Team Cee Lo by episode’s end, it was stench of fading fortunes that lingered in the wake of Team Adam. Is it too late to ask producers to allow the top vote getters from next week’s Top 8 telecast to advance to the finale, regardless of which team they’re from? And also, would it be possible to vote off social-media dingbat Christina “Dip It Low” Milian while we’re at it? Seriously, sister, “roommating” is not a verb. And not every interview needs to end with a vapid compliment like “ohmahgah, you’re awesome!”

Okay, okay, enough kvetching. Let’s take a deep dive into the week’s performances — which represented a step up in quality from last week’s Team Xtina/Team Blake festivities, especially since both Cee Lo and Adam picked the right members of their teams for Instant Elimination!

Best Performance | Jamar Rogers: Bon Jovi’s “It’s My Life” (Team Cee Lo) Yeah, we could probably use 50 percent less motivational speaker-iness from the HIV-positive former drug addict, but there are a lot worse messages you could get from a potential pop star, y’know? And musically speaking, the guy has yet to hit a sour note in the competition. This week, Jamar slowed down the tempo of “It’s My Life” while amping up the drama — seriously, that run on the final chorus had more suspense than your average episode of SVU — and as usual, he performed with so much charisma that the wall of graffiti/fire/stereo-speaker projections never threatened to upstage him. I’m with Christina, who bluntly told Jamar that he was “one of the ones I’m definitely rooting for.” And the dude isn’t even on her team!

Worst Performance | Pip: Keane’s “Somewhere Only We Know” (Team Adam) “My last performance wasn’t my strongest,” said Pip of his flaccid rendition of “When You Were Young” two weeks back. At this point, I was hoping Adam would tell Preppy McBowtie that he doesn’t have a genuine rocker bone in his body, and that perhaps a Broadway-style number was his best bet. But nope, Adam instead allowed Pip to tackle a wistful Keane ballad that started inoffensively enough, but melted down faster than a stick of butter in the microwave. By the end of the song, Pip had completely lost his gasp on pitch, and his face briefly registered the fact that he wouldn’t survive long enough to let a nation of tween girls carry him forward on a wave of text votes. At least Blake salvaged things by noting Pip without a bowtie is like him without alcohol.

Biggest Surprise | Cheesa: Whitney Houston’s “I Have Nothing” (Team Cee Lo) Bad enough that “I Have Nothing” has been covered seven times in 11 seasons of American Idol, but now the Whitney Houston ballad voted “Most Likely to Be Covered at a Teenage Beauty Pageant” has migrated to The Voice, as well. But in spite of her clichéd song choice, and in spite of Cee Lo’s insanely premature declaration that Cheesa could be “this generation’s power vocalist” — that’s kind of like looking at an egg and predicting it’ll be the best chicken cordon bleu ever — the Season 2 underdog delivered a very solid performance. Okay, there were a few flat notes in the opening verse, and Cheesa brings a somewhat lumbering quality to the ends of certain phrases, but it’s always nice to hear what her coach described as “grown-woman, child-bearing strength” as opposed to “Auto-Tuned Tinkerbell” crap that’s so prevalent on the radio anymore. Side note: Was it just me, or did the combination of sequins and stage lighting made it look like Cheesa was wearing nothing but light beams and faerie dust? Most peculiar!

Biggest Disappointment | Mathai: Nelly Furtado’s “I’m Like a Bird” (Team Adam) Oh how I wish Adam had chosen something a little more unexpected for Mathai, as opposed to saddling her with a song from an artist with a voice very similar to her own. Or at least maybe he could’ve encouraged Mathai to slow down “I’m Like a Bird” to a crawl, make it a plaintive ballad, and avoid comparisons to the original. But while Mathai took some jazzy liberties on the bridge, this was a pretty straightforward rendition that, compared to Nelly Furtado’s rendition, seemed superfluous and occasionally off pitch. Xtina may have gotten a little too much joy in critiquing Adam’s performance as a coach, but she was right: You can’t force-feed a song to an artist and expect it to turn out swimmingly. Plus, how the heck was Adam surprised by the addition of the acrobat flying over Mathai’s pretty head? As the Lady Aguilera noted, “You gotta be involved in the production of your own team.” Mmmkay?

Most Improved | Katrina Parker: Christina Perri’s “Jar of Hearts” (Team Adam) The styling was very Adele by way of Morgan Fairchild, and the staging — a neon heart on the foggy floor — was depressingly literal, but there’s no denying this was Katrina’s prettiest, most on-pitch vocal in the competition. I’m not willing to go as far as Adam in declaring the vocal “in-cred-ible” — Katrina’s voice seemed to close up just a bit on the bridge, and the final glory note was more of a double when she needed a home run — but she may have done enough to leapfrog Mathai and land in next week’s semifinal, despite not having been one of Adam’s favorites early in the competition. (Talk about putting the ‘brutal’ in ‘brutal honesty’!)

Mr. Congeniality Trophy | James Massone: Billy Joel’s “Just the Way You Are” (Team Cee Lo)
(Let’s sing it out to the tune of “Just the Way You Are,” shall we?)

Don’t change your hair, to try and please me
Though I have to say it’s kind of wack
Like a mid-’90s, rom-com best friend
Who’s played by jaunty Joan Cusack

And oh your vocals, as thin as Kate Moss
How did you ever get this far?
That zany set piece, Cee Lo’s strange caprice
Now you go back to fixing cars

Most Overhyped | Tony Lucca: Britney Spears’ “…Baby One More Time” (Team Adam) Conceptually, you’ve got to applaud a former member of the Mickey Mouse Club for tackling Britney Spears’ breakout pop hit and giving it an eerie rock twist. (Yeah, it’s not the first time “…Baby One More Time” has been turned on its head, but I’m still willing to award Tony and Adam with points for chutzpah.) Still, I wish the performance had contained a little more emotional oomph, that Tony had exhibited enough charisma to outshine the Illuminati Dancers that flanked him, that there hadn’t been a breathiness to his vocals that made the audience’s “Bieber-esque” response seem downright peculiar. I’m not sure Xtina feels any more warmly toward her former castmate than she did during her scathing takedown two weeks back, but I thought her muted critique summed things up pretty accurately: “I enjoyed it.”

Most Over-the-Top | Juliet Sims: Aerosmith’s “Cryin'” (Team Cee Lo) From a pure vocal standpoint, this was the proverbial potato in the microwave — without any holes poked in it: Explosive, messy, undeniably entertaining if not entirely edible. Juliet, with her lightened hair and dialed-back makeup, looked like a completely different person than the mange-y rocker who slaughtered “Roxanne” two weeks back, and I didn’t even mention the enormous (gorgeous) black wings attached to her back. But her banshee wail and her undeniable passion were in tact, even if she intermittently lost control of pitch and melody in the process. I don’t think Juliet can win the competition without a little more restraint in the coming weeks, but I can’t say I’m not curious to check out her studio rendition on iTunes, or that she hasn’t earned a spot alongside Jamar in the semifinals.

James Massone

Letter Grades for the Week
Jamar: A-
Juliet: B+
Cheesa: B
Tony: B
Katrina: B
Mathai: C+
James: C
Pip: D

What did you think of The Voice this week? Who was your favorite? Who do you think will survive on Tuesday? And what did you think of Cee Lo and Adam’s automatic ousters? Sound off in the comments, and for all my reality TV recaps and interviews, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Anne says:

Good to know I’m not the only one fond of Christina Millian as “social media correspondent.” There’s just something forced and faked about her personality. It’s shame. I quite preferred Allison Haislip (sp?) to her.

2. Noel says:

Ehh…I did not like Juliet at all this week, especially after last week. It was just very sloppy and over the top (the wings?!)

3. mspenn1013 says:

LOVED Tony Lucca. Great arrangement

• Lolo says:

Might be “great” to some, but it’s anything but original.

• TinyTim says:

That song was done on Rockstar Supernova I think with the band leader of this show, so Tony copied that.

• seattlejohn449 says:

British singer/songwriter/superstar guitarist Richard Thompson has been doing this in concert for a really long time…though I still thought Tony was best of the night

• allie08 says:

Marty Casey did “Baby One More Time” on Rockstar…. and it was far better than Tony’s performance last night, imo. If you are going to mix up the song, take it all the way like Casey did. His performance was subdued and creepy all the way through while Tony just altered the beginning and end. It was enjoyable nut I agree with Slezak that it is overhyped.

• Shel says:

Marty Casey’s version of that song was SO great, it still lives in my head. Having Adam so self-congratulatorily (word?) patting himself and Tony on the back for their “innovative” choice was nauseating.

• ET says:

I HATED his performance. Not the worst of the night, but I honestly don’t know what he’s doing on the show….. doesn’t belong there at all.

• bwatt27 says:

I really can’t stand Tony. He’s this year’s Javier. Three extremely talented ladies lost out of a title any one of them deserved due to his “star” power LOL. If that happens again this year, and Tony beats a more deserve female contestant, I’m just not going to be able to control my anger.

• rachelleet says:

I LOVED Tony, too! I am fo sho downloading his cover – I thought it was great. He definitely knows he is awesome, though, maybe be a little bit more humble? I think that is why I love Jamar; he does the surprised-Taylor-Swift face after he sings, like he doesn’t know why people love him. I think that humility makes him more appealing as a winner than Tony.

• Van says:

Another love note for Tony Lucca for being mediocre already done idea… I wonder if we are ALL in a grammar school classroom and it’s perpetually Valentine’s day.

4. Liz says:

I love Jamar & have every since I saw him on season 8 of American Idol. When he was dropped right before the top 24 I almost stopped watching for the season (he was Danny Gokeys friend) . I am rooting for him all the way.

5. Betsy says:

Katrina is stepping it up – liked her more than ever tonight

• FreeHaley says:

She did do way better this week. The first time I really like her.

That said, it was Juliet who just blew ’em all away.

• ET says:

Can’t stand her…. she’s a poor Adele rip off (and I can’t stand Adele, either).

• Jake says:

Except Katrina never sang Adele, so you’re making that comparison because she is big and has a raspy voice. Mathai has a raspy voice and isn’t called an Adele rip-off.

• ET says:

The songs she has sung are irrelevant; her look and her vocal style are like she’s trying to land a job in Vegas as an Adele impersonator. Comparisons are all over the blogosphere and even her coach has dared compare her with Adele. It’s just not working for me.

• Yo' says:

I like her voice. I don’t think she particularly sounds like Adele and I think this show has done a good job of letting her be a big woman with style when most music shows use big women for early fodder. So presented, the audience has taken her seriously and it should; when she is good, she is very good.

• Sookie says:

I wasn’t so crazy about her performance but I think that’s because I like the original so much better. But, she probably is the best on Adam’s team.

6. Marie-Kim says:

I prefer Pip and Tony than the rest of them!!

• Shamar says:

Pip has been just dreadful two weeks in a row. Stop letting your hormones dictate your musical taste.

• Alex says:

Pip has been “awful” these past two weeks because Adam kept giving him the wrong song choices. He was great in the battle rounds, but Adam clearly wanted him gone for whatever reason. Hell, he didn’t even smile when Pip was saved last time. He wanted him gone, and these dumb eliminations did it for him

• ET says:

“Pip” is just a bad caricature of Bob’s Big Boy….. nothing more.

• Jake says:

Liked Pip last show, but this time he wasn’t good at all. Both coaches made the right choices.

• aien says:

i prefer pip over tony too. i find tony’s singing too ordinary

7. L says:

Tony and Jamar. Blake and Christina don’t have anyone on their teams who could beat Adam and Cee Lo’s team. They both made mistakes last week.

• dan says:

Lindsay Pavao is kind of interesting, she’s the only contender of the Christina/Blake crew.

• Davey says:

I can’t stand Lindsay. I actually think Chris (is that opera guy’s name) has a better chance of lasting longer than Lindsay though I’m not crazy about him either.

8. Joe says:

Jamar is amazing. Every time I watch him I say I can’t believe Idol didn’t put this guy through. He’s got such an electric presence on stage and his voice can do anything. Really hope he takes this. I love Lindsey’s studio recordings, but the past few weeks she didn’t deliver on stage so I hope Jamar gets the win. He deserves it. The guy is consistently great going back to his blind audition.
    The rest of tonight was meh. Katrina was good although they are trying way too hard to style her to look like Adele. It’s getting creepy. She did a great job with her song though.
    Tony was fun because he was covering Britney’s breakout hit which launched her before Xtina. That was a not so subtle middle finger to Miss Aguilera.
    Pip and James needed to be put out of their misery.
    The rocker chick was OK. They really softened her whole look a great deal. She almost looked like Hermione from Harry Potter.
    Can’t stand Chessa. She’s too butch. Seriously, she sings songs like she’s a guy. And she was flat tonight for most of the song.
    I’m really just in this to see Jamar vs. Lindsey at this point. Both of them would make excellent winners but I have a soft spot for Jamar.

• Christine says:

idol is so washed down that i bet they couldn’t handle his backstory of HIV and drug abuse. I haven’t watched idol in years, it’s so forced, imo

• ET says:

Idol beats the HELL out of The Voice this year……

• Lee says:

I agree that Idol beats Voice this year. Jessica Sanchez can outsing any Whitney Houston song that Cheesa attempts to sing.

• allie08 says:

Idol has a lot of really good singers at this point but not one of them has the “it factor” that Clarkson, Hudson or Underwood had. Overall they might be a better group of technical singers but Jamar, imo, just might have the star power both shows are looking for.

• ET says:

I didn’t watch the first season of Idol, so I can’t comment on Clarkson. But, neither Hudson OR Underwood had much of the “it” factor while they were on the show; it took a while to develop. If you remember, Carrie Underwood had the most wooden persona imaginable; many, many people referred to her as “Carrie-bot”, just like they now call Jessica Sanchez a “robot”. If Jessica wins, she will blossom as she matures.

• Joe says:

I agree with both of you. Carrie Underwood won her season looking like a deer caught in the headlights. She had an amazing voice, but she also had Simon pimping her each and every week and she had the look that appeals to a ton of voters. How could you not vote for her.
            I think Idol has a better group of singers at this point than the Voice has without a doubt. That said, I’d put Jamar up against everyone on Idol and I believe he could out sing and out perform them given the chance. Granted, he’s older than all of them including Elise, but he own the stage and his voice is pretty amazing. He’s also very contemporary. He can do rock, funk, ballads. I have a feeling his mentor is going to produce some wicked tracks for him to his the market with when this is over.

• allie08 says:

@ ET – Yes, I totally remember that. In fact, I liked Bo Bice better that year b/c I thought HE had the “it” factor and look how far he got, lol. I didn’t like Carrie at all back then and she is one of my all time favorite idols now. I hope that is the case with Jessica b/c her voice IS great but she needs a lot more polishing than Carrie did, imo. Carrie was 21, I think, when she won and Jessica is only 17. Doesn’t sound like much in the real world but in music I think there is a huge difference. Jamar is already there. I could do w/o his life lessons but in terms of voice and performance he knows what he has and how to use it. There are others on Idol who are close – Joshua for instance, but Jamar is more current and recordable, imo.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah I agree, Underwood had no it factor at all the season she won.

• Sookie says:

I thought for a minute Tony was going to sing Genie in a Bottle.

9. Snsetblaze says:

I loved Jamar, Juliet, Tony and Katrina. But I was very concerned that Juliet would fall in those heels on all those feathers. Then I realized I’ve gotten old bc I worried about that.

10. Sam says:

The judges absolutely picked the right people tonight:
    Cheesa brought something new and amazing. Juliet is a goddess. Jamar was very good. Tony’s performance was genius. Katrina killed. Mathai was very very good.
    James was good but it was basically the same thing as last time and he was a little pitchy. Pip was pretty good and then botched the end.

11. steveymacjr says:

I don’t get this feels very contrived…why can’t they just have all the singers perform every week… It seems you lose some buzz if not all singers perform…

• ET says:

I couldn’t agree more; that is going to be the downfall of this show; we are not allowed to get to know the contestants like we are on American Idol.

• Ruby says:

Agreed. And the format is so weird…it’s like they’re throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. It’s disorienting that they change the rules from season to season, week to week.

• ET says:

I have been so consistently disappointed in the shows from week to week that I am not even gonna bother to watch from here on out; I just don’t give a damn who wins.

12. Shana says:

Juliet sucks!! I loved Matthai, Katrina, tony, and jamar.

• Justin says:

Mathai was horrible on both the solo and the group performance. Just saying.

• Noel says:

Not really. Just saying

• Shelly says:

Matthai strained throughout her entire performance. She just doesn’t have the range to pull of that song, or most other songs for that matter. She is the weak link with limited vocal range who needs to go home. Buh bye Matthai.

• Jason says:

Yeah Sorry but Matthai was awful. Worse then PIp. Only survived because Adam thinks she is his only hope based on good early performances. But she was awful!!!

• TheBeach says:

I agree and I think Adam did a bad job of picking the song. At first glance, it seemed her voice could transfer pretty well to a Furtado song but it really didn’t work

• JoMarch says:

I agree. I don’t know if she sounds better in person, but what I heard was off key and strained/

13. Justin says:

I liked Cheesa and Katrina the best. I still love Juliet, but her “Roxanne” was far better than what she did tonight (which was still OK – but she can clearly do better). I’m downright sick of Jamar. He is sooooo bloody pretentious and self-important. Everything out of his mouth sounds like a pre-planned motivational speech. I think he borrowed a page from his good buddy Danny Gokey’s “milk a tragedy for votes” strategy. Barf. Tony was better than last week for sure but I’m still not a huge fan. James was just alright. Pip and Mathai were God awful. So glad Pip is gone. Good call Adam. Squash that bug of musical theatre mediocrity before tweeny boppers text him to the top.

14. RM says:

American Idol is to The Voice as Hollie Cavenaugh is to Juliet Sims.

• Sarah says:

LOL – Preach!

• Jason says:

I have no idea what this means but the Voice is probably a better show because J-Lo, Randy and Steven Tyler are useless judges. Blake is hilarious, Christina is honest, Cee-lo is super cool(Althought that performance with the glowing teeth was a joke) and yes Adam is a D-bag but they can’t all be great. As for the performances the song choices are much better than Idol. I’d say Joshua is the best performer singer of all of them with Juliet a close second. I wish the finale could be Joshua LEdet vs. Juliet Simms.

• angelstorm says:

15. Tony and Jamar.were AMAZING and My favorites!

16. FreeHaley says:

As I said on the other thread, Juliet just killed it! Awesome!

Can’t argue with the judge’s decisions.

17. Arielle says:

Good performances, good decisions, good judge feedback.
    Tonight’s show reminded me of why I became a Voice fan – but please the producers need to stop messing with it. I don’t watch Idol anymore (honestly – just Michael and Melinda) but the one thing it has that the Voice seems to lack is enough time w/contestants to get a sense of them and their talent before kicking them off in groups – not backstory but more performances and rehearsals.

And I really miss the serious co-coaches from last year – esp Monica (sp?) and Reba (Sia didn’t do anything). This year the guest coaches just seemed like Uma Thurman stunt-casting. (Maybe segments w/Paul Mirkovich and the band – those were great on RockStar – Paul cuts to the pt when contestants are screwing around.)

And for those who say there isn’t enough time – well then CUT CHRISTINA MILIAN and that whole segment. And Justin Bieber appearances and performances. It’s fun to see the twitter comments on decisions run across bottom of screen but no need to have social networking host. That’s my kvetch:)

18. Rebecca says:

Am I the only person who noticed that Katrina was wearing the same dress as Erika during the Top 13/Whitney Houston night on Idol, only in a different color?

19. Sara says:

Ugh. Cheesa was awful, as usual! When Christina said that she hit notes that Whitney never did, I seriously strained my eyes with how hard I rolled them. Whitney never hit those notes because Whitney didn’t hit BAD notes. Period. Cheesa better be on the way out tomorrow.

• Snsetblaze says:

My sentiments exactly.

• Russ says:

Christina isn’t saying Cheesa can hit notes Whitney can’t, she said in the non chorus parts she went higher. But if Chessa isn’t saved my america tomorrow than there is no way Cee Lo would pick her over Juliet or Jamar

• Jake says:

Christina says that Cheesa is “cut from the same cloth as Whitney.” By that, does she mean “human skin,” because Cheesa has nothing near Whitney’s power and uniqueness.

• Sookie says:

Yeah I thought that was an odd comment too. It was obvious she couldn’t hit the high notes and she has nowhere near the fabulous range that Whitney had. I found the whole performance flat and boring.

20. Ruby says:

I can’t believe Tony Luca is so popular. He’s about as interesting as a wet dishrag. WTF is wrong with America, seriously?

I love Juliet, but I didn’t love her performance this week. Jamar Rogers is where it’s at.

• seattlejohn449 says:

well at least he didn’t wear angel wings, get coiffed like Adelle…or wore a bowtie or headband or baseball jacket…he was focused on singing in tune and projecting his voice and looked manly and hot and experienced

21. Isabelle says:

Tony, Juliet, and Jarmar were my standouts and hope they are all safe tomorrow

22. TinyTim says:

Tonight was a fat dud, as none of them really were amazing. Tony gave us his typical operating table performance of painful notes, Cheesa is no Whitney, Juliet Sims gave an unrocking performance with feathers, Massone was slow singing another one, Katrina Parker probably came closest with her Jar of Hearts, and Pip and Mathai were average.
    Overall I blame the judges on terrible song choices.
    And the way they started the show with Cee Lo having gas cast a pall over the whole night. It stunk in more ways than one.
    The good news is we can only go up from here, lol.

23. TinyTim says:

It would be nice if they stopped repeating the life troubles of each contestant week after week. So some of them had a tough life, I imagine a lot of viewers also have tough lives but don’t expect to be crowned singing stars because of it.

24. jimmy says:

Katrina blew me away tonight. Love her voice.

25. TheBeach says:

If Mathai was singing “I’m like a bird” why wasn’t she the one wearing the wings? :)

26. TheBeach says:

1. Jamar…total package of vocal ability, stage presence and emotional connection.
    2. Juliet…started off a little off but then she murdered it (liked Roxanne better tho)
    3. Katrina…her best to date, more finesse than previously.
    4. Tony…like his voice, very good performance but seems a bit out of his element.
    5. Cheesa…her best by far, big risk tackling that song but pulled it off pretty well.
    6.Mathai…poor song choice which didn’t fit her style or range.
    7. James…boring, whiny, nasal with no stage presence. Nice kid, but time to go.
    8. Pip…many off notes, a bit pretentious and too high school musical.

The right ones definitely got cut. JMO

27. writerross says:

How did you know CeeLo, um, aromatically expressed himself at the beginning of the show??! I had NO idea why they were all laughing. It went on too long and too inside-y. If they had told us in clean terms, it would have made for a great reality TV show moment. :>

Not sure why I’m even watching the show. Two hours of ho-hum talent. 4 judges who say “great, wonderful, perfect” all too much. Tell the truth and we will respect your show ever so much more. This is not kids performing for their mom and dad in the living room…

or is it? Do the winners really matter anymore? I think not. It’s just a means to get advertisers’ cash in the coffers.

Cheesa and Juliet screeched. James couldn’t dance to save his life and had zero sex appeal with that headband. Why were they trying to create he has a buzz “WITH THE LADIESSSS!” when he has none. (Sorry, James. Nice kid but damn when you came on the stage dressed as Teen Angel from GREASE I laughed my head off.)

Katrina. Nice. Not a star. No cigar. And yes, I recognized her “Erica from American Idol” gown.

Tony Lucca: could not hear his VOICE. I remember someone from ROCK STAR doing HIT ME ONE MORE TIME in that rock style so this was as innovative and mind-blowing as an iced-coffee in July.

Pip. No words for how horrible he closed his song. Those notes. Wolves across America were howling.

Matthai: are dishrag voices in? I don’t get it. She is completely uninteresting in every vocal sense.

I like Jamar but even he didn’t convince me this week he’s The One. Giving him that silly, boring Bon Jovi song was a dumb move. It doesn’t help I can’t stand Bon Jovi but the song did not show off Jamar as a talent. NOT at all.

I wish I had known CeeLo had gas while watching the show. That would have been the most interesting arc in the show: Will CeeLo let go on national TV again? Stay tuned, America. This is The Voice!

• TJ says:

RE: Marty Casey was the one that did ‘Baby One More Time’ on Rock Star.

• Van says:

the reason the judges cannot say the brutal truth is because they are still selling artist that people respect and the few times that they have been brutually honest they get crucified by the public, for example: Christina with Tony Lucca and Blake with Raelynn. I just find it funny that the critics all agree with their honesty.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah I always thought having currently popular judges or even ones who had ever had tons of status were tricky calls for judges since they risk alienating their fan bases and/or crushing contestants who might have had them as their Idols.

28. writerross says:

Oh. I forgot. Juliet’s wings. I kept expecting her to break out into a Victoria’s Secret bra. Maybe that was the point…

…because the song left me Crying for her to stop.

29. Samantha says:

ZZZ no one was amazing. I can’t believe people thought anyone killed anything. I don’t get the appeal with Jamar at all. IT all just sounds karaoke to me …awful the voice is just horrible and bad song choices as well. no way does this compare to Idol imo. The worst singers on Idol are better than the ones on the voice

30. angelstorm says:

Honestly I’m disappointed in this season of The Voice. I enjoyed the Blind auditions but it all went downhill from there I think ! Right now probably the only person I like is Juliet (roxanne – What!) and maybe Lindsay (blind audition) . . . also Adam’s team this year is so bad that for all his boasting about winning last year you’d think he might have tried to pick some good ones this time around. No wonder he’s so mad about missing out on Juliet !

• seattlejohn449 says:

it feels like once these eliminations are dealt with tonight the competition can finally begin…except there are only two weeks to go left…for all the talk of team spirit it has only been about overly dramatic shock eliminations of performers we have barely heard and not had time to properly bond with…the folks who benefit are the judges’ careers/fame/paychecks and the so-called rising stars are used as cannon fodder for ratings…there are a couple of people I will keep an eye out for but this has been a very frustrating process

31. Scout says:

I am not really on the Matai train anymore. She really has no idea how to interpret a song. I am like a bird / I want to fly away / I don’t know where my home is / I don’t know where my soul is…. There is a deep longing in this song that she just didn’t get and she was way over the top with the cheesy smile and some of the notes made me cringe. I thought Juliet was awful last night – and I LOVE Her. Too screamy. Just sing Juliet. Drop the wings and just sing. Jamar breaks my heart every time he sings. There is such pain in his voice. It’s intoxicating. I think I am done with the Voice after this season – especially if Tony wins.

32. Chris says:

Team Cee Lo:

Jamar Rogers: Bon Jovi’s “It’s My Life”
    I thought Jamar’s performance was good but I also think that they could and should have easily found another song. I believe he wants to be a singing artist. That’s really all I have to say about Jamar.

James Massone: Billy Joel’s “Just the Way You Are”
    I thought James did a wonderful job singing the song but there was zero translation (successful) in performance. You’re not there to win girlfriends and he found that out the hard way. Props to Cee Lo for trying to translate ‘performance’ in their coaching session but he got lost in translation.

Cheesa: Whitney Houston’s “I Have Nothing”
    Very, very overrated. Cee Lo’s comments made it worse going on about you don’t need auto tune, songs for child bearing women, etc etc. I don’t know what that was all about (but I do) but I wouldn’t hire you as a salesmen just yet Cee Lo. If Cheesa wants to be a diva singer maybe she can try out for Duets when that airs after taking some voice control lessons (other than what she’s doing to even get to the ‘big’ notes).

Juliet Sims: Aerosmith’s “Cryin’”
    I like Juliet and I applaud her passion in performance. In full disclosure I can’t listen to anyone cover an Aerosmith song because it just does not work for me (or them). I mean that song was written literally for Steven and she missed all the melody. I also think they took the slogan “Get your wings” a little too far. I wanted to like it… but I do dig her passion as a performer. Painful fifth favorite of the nigh

Team Adam

Katrina Parker: Christina Perri’s “Jar of Hearts”
    I thought Katrina looked gorgeous and I also felt like this was her best performance on the show to date! She peeled away that shell and gave me emotion…more feeling than I’ve personally gotten from her. I feel like she could do more though. Second to Tony, this was my favorite of the night.

Mathai: Nelly Furtado’s “I’m Like a Bird”
    I can understand why Adam chose this song (I miss Nelly) but I think Mathai fell short. She is one of those artist who will do well with original material…maybe (and no ‘sketchy’ dude flying in the background).

Tony Lucca: Britney Spears’ “…Baby One More Time”
    I absolutely loved everything about this performance. I liked the arrangement (minus the back up singers), the justification it was meant to bring, and the metaphorical (and my imaginary) slap across Christina’s face. I actually gave the whole performance a standing O and even the utterly defeated Christina who didn’t know what to say (too busy trying to recover from I JUST STEPPED ALL OVER YOUville). See you on the winning sided tonight Tony (well played, well played – go Adam).

Pip: Keane’s “Somewhere Only We Know”
    I started out very excited about this song choice and when he left the piano he left his coaches advice, and it fell apart like a dry rotted blanket.

I don’t enjoy Christina Milian’s (maybe she’s sipping on Blake’s bottle) portion of the show and I still feel like Carson could use A LOT of work. He got completely lost last night with the teleprompter message just before the immediate elimination from Cee Lo. A good host can wing it and his personality just gets lost. It’s apparent to me the judges have little respect for him (as seen as the beginning of the show with the passing gas ridiculousness). There is just a big old cheese factor about the whole thing but that’s entertainment!

• Van says:

I kinda don’t get all the Christina bashing… She is a judge, and allowed her opinion, which by the way everyone agrees with, Tony is a one note wonder and his rendition of …Baby one more time was great karoke, there are stronger voices and performers. The only people who don’t agree are people who want to sleep with him.

33. JoMarch says:

Juliet is a joke. She tries too hard and strains to make the notes. What was with the wings – how over-the-top ridiculous! A true rocker doesn’t have to force it; she’s a wannabe. She probably listens to Neil Diamond when she’s by herself.

34. Autumn says:

Tony is overhyped?Seriously? I’m thinking that someone hasn’t checked out his original music. And I loved his performance. It was just meant to be fun. Plus, he was full of charisma. Clearly, you couldn’t see what that audience saw but I see it. If he wins, he will come out with an album that people may actually ‘want’ to buy. His songs are filled with raw emotion. I recommend that you check some out. There’s a reason he has over 500,000 followers on Twitter (most of whom followed him before the Voice aired). For an independent artist, that is a pretty interesting statistic. I’m just glad that this show can get his name out to even more people.

• Meg says:

Tony’s been one of my favorite artists for years. People saying he’s out of his element are kind of right. Usually it’s him and his guitar, maybe some other musicians if you get to see a rare full band show. His original music is emotional and evocative. People really need to check out his original stuff.

• Van says:

Tony’s a good folk singer, he is not a great voice, not original and I have listened to his music and it’s okay not something that I would recommend so emotionally, but clearly as I am assuming your female. He’s another attractive face that gets too much credit for his okay talents. If you want some seriously amazing music listen to Lior, or Of Monsters and Men and then get back to me.

35. Muriel says:

I’m rooting for Jamar!

36. I think I love these recaps more than the actual show. I really wish I could watch reality tv with your commentary playing in the background. I’m glad I’m not the only one who caught Christina Milian trying to make “roommating” into a verb. They really need to can the media room portion of the show; I feel like 2 hours is too long, but that just makes it seem like it may never end. It’s clear that Cee Lo has figured out how to coach each of the singers on his team to get them to improve while Adam seems to be just sitting back and watching the train wreck. Between the song choices and the acrobats, I’m not really sure what he’s doing with his team. I was so glad when Xtina said something to him about being involved in all aspects of production. I honestly think Jamar is the one to beat in this competition; he has the talent and presence to go far.

37. courtland says:

Ugh i hated Jamar’s performance personally…it was slowed down and messed with so much it had no respect leftof the original,it sounded like some jennifer hudson song he added a little rock edge to…the two that went were the right choices though. they were awful. And tony lucca should go but he won’t (he does have timberlake tweetin for people to vote for him after all) and jamar should go on cee lo’s team but it’ll be cheesa…Perhaps we’d have some more credibility to these shows if teen girls didn’t spam vote the men to the lead regardless of skill..also, millian’s segment is awful..either bring haislip back or get rid of that segment all together

38. Becka says:

I felt bad for Juliet all night long. You could tell she wasn’t excited with her song choice at all and she didn’t like having her look toned down…You could tell she did NOT like the wings.

I think she did a good job but you could tell she wasn’t happy about what she was doing. YOu could even see it in the practice sessions.

They need to stop right now with toning down her rocker image. It is obviously who she is…how she is comfortable. It’s what the business does to market you. They always seem to try and change her. You know, I think if you want to see a softer side to her, give her a Heart song. She would KILL it.

I hope CeeLo knows the mistake he made this week with her and stop trying to glamourize her!

That said, the coaches eliminated the right people tonight. I know Tony Lucca will get saved by America again and I really don’t get it. I didn’t like his cover…then again, I don’t like Britney Spears music. BUT…Adam was a genius to give it to him to perform like this. So that was a smart move on Adam’s part, but it was a snoozefest for me where Tony was concerned. He isn’t a rocker. He just isn’t.

• Renee says:

I’m glad I wasn’t alone in thinking Juliet looked unhappy. She had that look of profound discomfort and humiliation your dog gets when you dress him up (not that I’ve ever done that..). Trying to sing – belt really – while moving around with those particularly bulky wings was sad and then she scuttled off the stage. I thought she did great considering all that. Free Juliet from ridic outfits. And WHO THE HELL is coming up with these ridiculous production add ons. The people in the raincoats on the stair? (I’m skipping right past the silk dancer.) I’m not opposed to some production but I’m starting to feel like Blake on this – poorly thought out additions that seem to have no interaction or coordination with the singer. So who is trying to kill this show because I’m definitely getting a ‘Springtime for Hitler’ vibe these days.

39. Ian says:

I liked Tony Lucca tonight (bought it on iTunes), but I’m wary that he’s that guy who did the same thing to Paula Abdul’s “Straight Up” in Hollywood Week on Idol and then was never good again.

Cheesa was bordering on sublime up until she completely missed the key change and then couldn’t find the pitch for the rest of the song. I’ve never had goosebumps go flat that quickly before.

40. davey says:

I dunno. Cheesa’s performance is just the kind I hate on American Idol. And the lighting and her movements were so over the top. I think it’s interesting though that the women on the Voice are often full bodied rather than emaciated and petite.

41. Jack says:

For the love of God, America… get rid of Cheesy Cheesa. We have enough diva-wannabes without your poor vocal tone. When she attempts the lower registers, she sounds like a drag queen. No bueno.

42. TinyTim says:

Looks like everybody survived Jesse being eliminated last week, anyone remember him?

43. tomitweets says:

I LOVED Tony’s performance. And I HATE Britney. So he really made it COOL. And I really like Juliet, but I could have don’t without the stupid feather wings. CeeLo cracks me up, but he doesn;t need to “CeeLo” every member of his team too.

44. FreeHaley says:

Jamar: A- (corrected to B+, he was good but not as amazing as the other weeks)

Juliet: B+ (corrected to strong A, this was the best of the night hands down)

Cheesa: B (sort of a B, but man there were quite a few flat notes, more than you admit, some of it actually went over surprisingly well, but some was a bit chopped and there were maybe a few too many flat for a Houston song for a B?)

Tony: B

Katrina: B

Mathai: C+ (it wasn’t that bad, gotta be a strong B- at least)

James: C (this was the worst, this one gets the D)

Pip: D (the ending was horrendous, true, and that one bar near the end ohh man, by far the worst part of the night, but the beginning wasn’t really that bad so he has to score above James, give this a C and the ending an F-)

• FreeHaley says:

actually if you insist on giving Cheesa a B then TOny and Katrina need B+

• FreeHaley says:

In fact, yeah can’t agree with Slezak. For all the good in Cheesa’s performance she just way missed too many notes and was a little chopped and odd on some low notes for a B, gotta go down to a B-, no way it can get the same as Katrina or Tony, gotta be two clicks below. It could’ve been there but it just had a few too many dangerously off notes for them to not count a lot against it.

45. MamaLis says:

I’m an Idoloonie. Just skimmed through the voice because my son DVRd it. What impressed me the most was CeeLo’s eloquence and kind-heartedness. ‘Word’ has it he’s a very tender guy. And judging by his team’s reaction and the things he said himself, this seems to be true. Def not the usual “big star” attitude. I was impressed.

• Joe says:

It’s actually what makes the show very good and better than Idol in some respects. You truly feel that Blake and Cee Lo care a a great deal about their contestants. Christina seems a lot more invested this season too although she had a better team last year. Adam seems to have checked out this season. Either he wants to let another coach win this season or he’s just being a bit of a brat for TV purposes. Cee Lo is the real deal though. The guy loves music and really comes off completely like-able and genuine which is rare in this TV format. You want a treat, go to Youtube and watch Live From Daryl’s House featuring Cee Lo. It’s a show that Daryl Hall from Hall & Oates does on the web and he had Cee Lo as his guest and it’s amazing to watch.

46. syb says:

This show is going flat for me in a fast way. Disappointed in Juliet this week. Cheesa (why is there not 2 “Ss” and 1 E?”) was unexpectedly pretty good. Tony wasn’t horrible, but he’s no Marty Casey. Katrina is just too much Adele wannabe for me. Jamar sings well, but not very interesting. And those were the best of the night.

• Shel says:

Totally agree that Tony is no Marty Casey. Disagree about Katrina – I don’t think she is an Adele wannabe – she just happens to look like her a bit IMO. I didn’t get the Cheesa love on performance night. They called her out for pitch problems (rightly so) on her sing-for-your-life, but I felt her Whitney song had enough pitch problems to bother me. I honestly was stunned with everyone praising her over the moon. I wanted to like Jamar more than I did. Lastly, I would add Juliet to the “best of the night” list.

47. AT says:

You may not get Tony, but a lot of people do. He has great charisma on stage. He’s a performer through and through and I thought his rendition of the song was great. There’s something nostalgic about watching him perform.

48. Singingal says:

I totally called both of those cuts so I was glad that they did eliminate the right people. Pip totally committed sacrilege on that Keane song. It’s such a beautiful wistful song and what he did to it (bad notes aside) turned it into something that was all kinds of
    However, cheesa’s performance, as some
    Other have mentioned, left a lot to be desired. When she starts forcing those notes she sounds like a guy, goes flat and just takes you out of the moment. Additionally, she needs to enunciate. Obviously most folks know that song, but a lot of her lyrics sound garbled. How are we supposed to believe what your singing if it sounds like you’re singing underwater?

49. lolali says:

It pisses me off that they pump the HIV-fighter-survivor story over and over. honestly, if i had to judge life-stories, sorry for being a bitch but, personality-wise I prefer the good kids that never thought about wasting their lives. I’m voting Jamar because he’s a damn amazing singer, the story just makes him less attractive to me, and they should let it go.