Ratings: Vampire Diaries and Secret Circle Hit Lows, Grey's and Scandal Rise

Both The CW’s The Vampire Diaries — despite letting loose with a real crowd-pleaser — and bubble show The Secret Circle dropped significantly this Thursday night upon returning from three-week breaks.

TVD, with 2.18 million total viewers and a season-low 1.0 demo rating, was down 20 and 23 percent, respectively, while its companion show fell 36 and 29 percent to series lows of 1.11 mil and 0.5.

The Secret Circle on the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

The night’s only demo gainers, meanwhile, were 30 Rock (3.2 mil/1.5, up 6 percent), Grey’s Anatomy (rising 10 percent to 10-week highs of 9.7 mil and 3.2) and Scandal (7.35 mil/2.1), which inched up for a second straight week since its debut.

Elsewhere on the night…

8 pm | American Idol led Thursday with 14.6 million total viewers and a 3.9 rating, down 8 percent week-to-week. Placing third behind a Big Bang repeat and Rules of Engagement, Missing (7.1 mil/1.3) slipped 11 and 7 percent. Community (2.9 mil/1.3) dipped a tenth in the demo.

9 pm | Touch (7.35 mil/2.1) was down 9 percent. The Office held steady at 4.3 mil/2.2, while Parks and Recreation (3.53 mil/1.8) returned from hiatus matching its most recent tallies, and improving on Up All Night‘s finale by 37 and 50 percent. Parks also demonstrated 82 percent demo retention out of The Office, versus the 69 percent it averaged in the 9:30 spot last season.

10 pm | Awake (2.74 mil/0.8) added a handful of viewers but dipped another tenth in the demo.

What were you watching this Thursday?

1. They wait way to long inbetween shows and lose the audience to other things. I know I was flipping inbetween Idol and Vamp bacause I had ALL OF THOSE weeks to get invested in Idol. Seriously, if you want a show to hit the sweeps in may either start it later or write more episodes.

• B. says:

So basically, even AWAKE had better ratings than The Vampire Diaries, which goes to prove “Delena” is not all it’s cracked up to be, shame they had to find out that much on sweeps

2. Daniela says:

The CW needs to cancel SECRET CIRCLE. It becomes another low rated show that does nothing for the network. And when you look at the show creatively it’s not as good as VAMPIRE DIARIES. I’d rather keep NIKITA on Friday nights and put the new pilot ARROW together with TVD on Thursday.
    Who would have thought but I actually like GREY’S ANATOMY again. After I felt that season five was the beginning of the end, I’m enjoying the show and the dynamic between the characters. They just have to get rid of Owen Hunt. xP

• Anon says:

I need the CW to renew THE SECRET CIRCLE. It has turned into a fantastic series since it started, and it really deserves a renewal. Last night’s episode was beyond flawless! Seriously, it was incredibly well executed and the Blackwell Child reveal was perfect!!

• ChrisGa says:

I agree the show is good and I also agree that the break between episodes—which the CW has been really bad about this particular season—completely erodes momentum and viewership. Ringer has been especially hurt by this practive and TSC and Hart of Dixie to a lesser extent(though TSC really got hammered this time). Much as I hate to say it—I watch the CW more than any network besides ABC—they need to restructure their episode programming or something otherwise they’re never going to develop anything that resembles even a moderate hit. I’m surprised the network hasn’t shut down at this point.

• Joell says:

Secret Circle stays

• Joell says:

The Secret Circle is only in it’s 1st season and I think the build up is great, which should most definitely bring us to a more exciting Season 2. A show like this should not be rushed to quickly…I say at least give it till the 2nd season b4 its completely judged b/c of one bad episode air date it wasn’t the shows fault it was the networks wonky behavior. @Daniela you cant possibly compare a show in its 1st season to another like Vampire Diaries that’s in its I believe 3rd season, where it’s had time to build

3. Liz Thompson says:

The CW shows are down because people didn’t know they were back on… shouldn’t have had the hiatus between March and April.

• Kathryn says:

The problem w/that argument is the same could be said for Revenge who had a long hiatus as well, but was up in the ratings on its return.

• Sophia says:

I saw my promos for the return of revenge than the The Vampire Diaries. It’s all about promoting, and the CW didn’t a good job promoting it’s return from their hiatus. IMO.

• guest says:

ABC’s Revenge didn’t exactly return with a white-hot vengeance on Wednesday night, but in today’s ratings climate, “holding steady” gets chalked up as a big, fat win.
        That is from this site, so holding steady means same amount NOT MORE for Revenge

• Shaun says:

You do realize the week before they had a Revenge recap episode right?

4. amelyrose says:

Ohh I really hope that Community’s numbers rised last night!

5. amelyrose says:

Never mind my c

6. Nic says:

“Scandal” has turned out to be way better than I ever thought it would be. The heavily-aired, obnoxious, self-important promos ABC put out prior to the premiere did not do this show justice. The series is smart, sharply-written, brilliantly-cast, fast-paced and quite titillating.

7. amelyrose says:

Stupid iphone. What I meant was never mind my comments i posted too soon! I really hope that they will renew community

8. Sophia says:

I agree the CW needs to do a better job at promoting new episodes. I didn’t know TVD was gonna even back on last night until I saw someone post something about it on twitter, because honestly, TVD’s episode last night was great! As for Grey’s! Yay! It was kind of chugging along slowly there, but last night kept me entertained all the way through.

9. mm says:

Parks and Rec was great as usual!!!!

10. mia says:

While I’ve no doubt that VD will get renewed, the lacklustre performance from Secret Circle gives me hope for renewals for Ringer + Hart of Dixie. LOVE THEM!

Also, glad to see Missing is actually doing not that bad. Its also a really great show. Ashely Judd is just fantastic.

• Russ says:

While TVD should and most likely will be renewed. Even with TSC low rating it still has done better than Ringer as for Hart of Dixie its on the same boat as TSC and could be both or just one.

11. Emily says:

Scandal surprised me. I had no intention of watching this show, but I watched the pilot free on iTunes when most shows were on hiatus and got sucked in, damn it!

12. Wrenn says:

I can’t believe how much I love Scandal. The actors are great and I’m enjoying the story. I really hope this show has some longevity.

13. Anon says:

TVD and THE SECRET CIRCLE had amazing episodes last night! Hopefully next week they do better, because I know TVD will be back, but I really want to see TSC renewed! The show has gotten so good, it really deserves a 2nd season.

14. sarah says:

Not good about Vampire Diaries and Secret Circle.

15. Hannah says:

TVD’s episode last night was amazing!!!! I feel sorry for all of those ppl who obviously missed it according to the ratings.. I watched Greys afterward, but my mind was still reeling from TVD, so I couldnt really say if it was a good or just okay episode.?

16. Marc says:

Save Ringer UK fan!

17. Kate says:

To be fair to Community, it was preempted in a bunch of large markets. Why Olympic coverage needs to start this early no one knows!

• Turnitup says:

Seems like every week people are cooking up reasons why Community didn’t do as well as it should, when it’s numbers are pretty miniscule routinely.

18. ggny says:

no way TSC is coming back for another season

19. Claire says:

Community was fantastic once again :)

20. Gerald says:

VD & SC were both shocking and good last night. Presumably many people will be watching them on thier PVR (and rewatching) I hope the ratings improve for both once that is factored in. I hope SC gets renewed.

21. I figure it will come back, have you seen the ratings for all of the CW’s other shows? Look at Gossip Girl, 90210, Heart of Dixie and Ringer. Secret Circle gets just about the same ratings It’ll be back.

• ggny says:

no…those shows dont have the highest rated show on the CW as a lead in. TSC does…That is why it is gonna be canceled

22. ggny says:

Also Parks and Rec missed a golden moment last night. I dont get how you have Bradley Whitford and Rob Lowe on the same show and not give them 2 a scene together…Even if it just for 10 seconds. It sucked was really hope those 2 had a scene together

23. llws says:

Yayyy for Scandal rising! Great great news! If people aint watching it…they should get to it. Keeps you on the edge of your seat!

24. Anthony nassar says:

The secret circle is an awesome tv serie. The cw needs to renew it and for sur keep it cause it’s a very beautiful story, maybe it’s a new tv serie so that the audience is not very big but it’s a must-see serie !!

25. mariejoe chahine says:

They must keep ringer and secret circle (and TVD for sure) awesome exiting series , and abc’s once upon a time is a great story too. hope to keep all these foor series :)

26. Render says:

I love both shows. I think the problem is with all these breaks!! I have had problems with breaks with shows in the past that I was really into then they stoped for a few weeks and I couldnt be botherd but when I did watch them I was like why did I stop. They need to stop having breaks cause its a bloody pain and thes the cause!!!

27. Dede says:

I love Scandal. I stumbled upon it and have been hooked. The best new show.

28. RENNY says:

U GUYS MAKES ME WONNA WATCH SCANDAL.TSC ITS A DISGRACE,CW MUST KEEP RINGER.

29. tvaddict says:

Its sad because TVD & TSC both had great episodes and ended on incredible cliffhangers last night. Please CW just dump GG, 90210, & Ringer so you can keep Nikita, TSC, SPN, and Hart of Dixie

30. Boiler says:

Isn’t Touch getting same ratings as The Finder did on Thurs? Give The Finder a chance

31. MJ says:

Grey’s Anatomy was great last night. Next week looks even better.

32. kelly says:

I do genuinely like TSC , it has the tools to be great . But why is it not to that standard you say ? The acting . Simple . I want to like adam , I really do . But the acting makes it hard to believe in his cause , I feel like I’m watching a bad play and its awkward . And does anyone else find the character of cassie find her slightly annoying ? I actually enjoy watching the show , but these things are still very present

33. kelly says:

I think the fact that Caroline is becoming more prominent in TVD, is making it much better . Was starting to get sick of the Elena show . Even in the books you get sick of how everything is about her and she is worse in the books

• Mikael says:

TVD needs MORE Caroline! She has become my favorite character. She’s far more likeable than Elena. They also need to use Bonnie better. She gets a great story and then goes away for weeks! If they’d tone down the stupid “Delena/Stelena” stuff, Bonnie could shine.

34. June says:

This Thursday i was watching Vampire Diaries , and the Secret Circle .

35. Abby says:

I didn’t even bother with TVD because of the terrible writing lately. I keep seeing the same storylines over and I thought nothing would be different. And then my friend watched it and told me about the DE kiss so I had to spend my money on itunes to get the episode. I will probably watch next week for sure to see o\if the kiss changed anything with the triangle.

36. me says:

OMG, I love that the big Delena episode was a season low in ratings. I got a huge laugh out of this. I really hope Julie Plec takes that as a hint. Not as many Delena fans as you thought huh? Oh I love it, this is too good. If I thought the CW might not renew TVD, I might be upset about this, but since it’s like the networks biggest show I am enjoying revelling in this because I seen so many Delena fans claiming that there are soooooooooooo many more of them and demanding Delena. And tv websites like this haven’t shut up about “the kiss” like it’s what every viewer wanted so yeah suck it Delena (the pairing, not the fans of Delena, to be clear I do not hate Delena supporters), your not such BFD after all. I want to say the ratings were low because Stelena fans like me were making a point, but that would be a big assumption on my part I know, but wow this just makes me kinda happy. Not so happy about Secret Circle’s low ratings though. I want to see it get renewed. I think it will only get better from here.

37. JAO says:

Not enough Nielsens in the Midwest where shows like VPD and Circle do well. I agree – too long on hiatus.

38. Velvet says:

All these damn breaks screw up everthing.

39. arjin eminoğlu says:

SECREETTTT CİRCLEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! <3 <3

40. Gael kakuta says:

i watch a secret circle and i want a save it …

41. Argeş says:

Secret circle and vampire diaries

42. Radamerı says:

Vampire diaries and
    The Secret Circle

43. Johanneson says:

PLEASE i want watch The secret circle seasons 2

44. Civan edebali says:

Gizli Çember (the secret circle)

45. barbara says:

I really miss the secret circle :(