Exclusive

Exclusive: Glee to Air Super-Sized [Spoiler]-Themed Episode on May 15

Glee Season 3Fox is turning Glee‘s third trip to Nationals into an all-night event.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that the network is combining the show’s 20th and 21st installments into one, two-hour episode on Tuesday, May 15.

But it’s the first of those two hours — which finds New Directions planning for the annual competition — that is likely to generate the most watercooler chatter. That’s because in the midst of rehearsing their new routine, Tina (Jenna Ushkowitz) suffers a mild head injury and begins to experience a different — yet oddly familiar — alternate reality.

The plot would seem to give context to recent photos from the set showing the cast swapping roles — i.e. Mark Salling (Puck) playing Blaine, Cory Monteith (Finn) dressed up as Kurt, and the aforementioned Ushkowitz channeling Rachel.

Tina’s warped perspective presumably returns to normal in time for Nationals, which serves as the focus of Hour 2.

• S says:

My sentiments exactly. This is what they have going on? A dream/alternate reality? Wow. That’s pretty bad. We are this close to graduation and they waste time on an alternate reality. Doesn’t say much for what they have lying ahead in the supposed “epic” finale.

• Winnie says:

I don’t know – on one hand, similar things have been done before, but on the other hand, I would like to be along for the ride and see Glee’s take on it. I’ll reserve my [possible] disdain for after I’ve given it a chance.

1. becca says:

OKAY THEN

2. I can’t wait to see Cory channel Chris’s mannerism when Finn plays Kurt. CANNOT WAIT! And Yeah for Tina getting screentime!!!

3. fiya says:

Wow… they are actually going AU.
    Well.

4. Anne says:

Really?? This show is a joke.

• Cheyenne says:

Yes, yes it is… because it’s a comedy and, for once, they’re actually doing something funny. Jeez, the people who post here are so annoying.

• JJ says:

I agree these people who post here just don’t get it that Glee isn’t supposed to be so serious. I think that sometimes Glee is making fun of itself and that’s what makes it so unique series.

• Joe says:

I disagree. Glee and Ryan Murphy don’t even know they’re making fun of themselves. They think this is what makes good television. What ever happened to “Our musical numbers aren’t the burst-into-song type ones” comment from them in Season 1? Out the window. They are following a certain path and it is NOT self-parody.

• jimmy says:

Amen. Quit taking this show so seriously! You people are killing it.

• John K. says:

I agree that it’s supposed to be funny. That’s why I hate almost every OTHER episode this season. If the show isn’t going to act like a comedy, then people will stop treating it like one.

• yep says:

Then why do you even care to watch it and then come on a forum such as this one to complain? what you are doing is coming here to to condemn and complain for the heck of it. You and your negativity like to join forces with others who are of the same mold. Negative and have the love of creating friction. You and others have the same comments time after time after time after time. Don’t you get it? The creators of Glee have “their” story to tell and don’t care what your opinions are. They have their plans for the show and did not request your input. So to those who spew and spat out condemnation for Glee and its works, go elsewhere.

5. qutukupret says:

wut? this is stupidd

6. sjdngruwori says:

No. Why.

7. Aleph19 says:

Grey’s Anatomy already did the alternate reality thing this season. Ryan Murphy needs new ideas.

8. lame says:

LAME
    Glee, you are seriously f*ing up one of the last episodes of S3 when we get everyone still together before graduation?!??!
    seriously??
    BOOOOO

9. Clare says:

oh, wow. this show is just grasping at straws now.

10. rissa says:

Can’t wait to see Finn/Puck as Kurt/Blaine! Very happy that Tina is finally getting a storyline!

11. bbchez says:

wow i hope i never know what it’s like to be constantly upset about little trivial thing like you people

• yep says:

They have nothing in their lives to do but to come on these places to just bitch and cause a cluster of complaints to be noticed in the media-social in this case. If I felt the way these people do I have so many other things to do for fun and enjoyment. They don’t even wait to see an episode to comment on it-they pounce on the tidbit info that comes out on these media sources . They cannot wait to spell out their disdain about some 1 minute promo and curse it as if they were clairavoyant about some future episode. Negativity breeds negativity. It is like a bunch of troublemakers in a crowd who are trying to incite a riot. When the riot is full on, the cops come and seize them. During the booking process they cry wolf. Glee made them do it. I’m sorry, I have to say the the negativity on this place is laughable.

12. Is says:

At least I’m happy that it’s going to be all from Tina’s point of view. She’s always been a cool character, yet a bit neglected.

13. Lily says:

I think it’s a pretty good idea, it’s just too bad that it’s happening NOW, just before graduation. But the idea is pretty cool! I love it. The timing doesn’t seem right though. We’ll see :)

14. Taylor says:

Umm…not sure what to say about this. It could be fun or a train wreck. I guess we’ll see when it airs. Glad to see Tina getting a storyline, even if it is a strange one.

15. Ryan says:

Second trip to Nationals. They lost in Regionals in Season 1.

16. Theo says:

It’s a comedy people not a drama, this has more chance of being funny that what it sounds. The whole part of a comedy is too be funny and i am already laughing at the various possibilities this could go. Ease up. Some are so uptight… And this is glee, it is meant to be part crazy, ludicrous and stupid -i say this as a fan- that is what works for the show

• R says:

I agree that this storyline could be fun. And the episode could have been good if it had come sooner. But 3 episodes before we say goodbye to these characters for good? Now it’s just a waste of valuable time. This is a dumb decision on their part. An annoying decision, at that.

• Mel says:

Um, sorry but why do you think you are saying goodbye to these character for good? Most of them are returning next season, it’s already been announced. And honestly? You really don’t know what is going to happen in this episode. There are ways that an au could have plenty of bearing on what the characters are currently going through – just have some imagination and an open-mind – which is, after all, what Glee is about.
        Of, course, the other option is for you not to watch it – but wouldn’t it be a shame for you to miss out on something that might be good, because you made a snap judgement based on a tiny bit of infomation at a spoiler site.

17. J says:

It’s Tina Freakin’ Cohen Chang showtime!!!!

18. Che says:

This kind of storylines are always silly but extremely fun to watch.

19. Tina Cohen-Chang says:

I’m just happy to get a storyline… And lines that don’t serve only as recaps, questions, and tears.

20. joe says:

I’m done,I was going to wait till the end of the season to finish,too bad because I stuck with the show from the start

21. Sara says:

I don’t get why people are so whiney about Glee these days. I still quite enjoy the show, I love all the characters more than I ever have, and the singing is still great. People need to simmer down and realize it’s just a show, and stop reading into it so much…

22. O'Brien says:

This sounds…strange, but yay for more Tina! Also, I think it’s just their second trip to Nationals – the first year, they bowed out at Regionals.

23. Jenny says:

At least they are trying to be funny. So tired of serious or need to teach me a lesson Glee.

24. Bea says:

Who are we kidding…Tina’s not going to have any storyline, all she’s going to have is 5 sec of screentime where they show her hitting her head and then 2 sec of her coming back to reality.

25. R says:

This would be a fun episode if it had come sooner. Not 3 episodes before these characters leave for good. Now it’s just a waste of time. DUMB DECISION

26. BTM says:

At its best, Glee is funny, moving and aware of just how hilariously inappropriate it can be (priest & nun singing “Born Again,” anyone?). At its worst, it’s what The Washington Post called “the show where plot continuity goes to die.”

Not sure which this will be.

27. joe says:

I won’t be surprised if sue has her baby soon

28. Becca says:

People acting like this is going to be funny.. you’re kidding, right? It’ll be funny for about a minute, then they’ll be trying to shove another ~lesson down your throats. I do hope TIna gets somewhat of a storyline, though. It’d be nice if the episode was actually through her eyes, with voiceovers and everything.

29. beej says:

I’m not ready for this show to jump the shark… but I fear this episode may be the episode that does just that.

30. Juan says:

I hope that at the very least this ridiculous concept episode showcases jenna Ushkowitz’s talents, which I feel have been long overlooked in favor of the aggressively showcased Lea Michele.

31. Amy says:

Glee be jumping the shark! And the ratings keep going down! Everybody should just jump from this sinking ship.

32. Emily says:

My philosophy is don’t take Glee seriously. It make it easier to enjoy it. It’s the one show I would never put on my favorites list but still manages to be appointment TV. Who’s playing Artie?

33. Hugh says:

Instead of doing an alt reality episode they could spend the hour resolving all of the storylines that are either dropped with no explanation or rushed to an unsatisfying conclusion.. No? Ok then :|

34. jessatr0n says:

People need to calm down and stop taking Glee so seriously. It’s a COMEDY. Finn playing Kurt is going to be FUNNY. If you don’t have a sense of humor, Glee is the wrong show for you to be watching. To be a fan of Glee you have to be able to play along and make fun of it. That’s how it works.

35. Morgan says:

It’s the New Directions 2nd trip to Nationals not 3rd. They lost to Vocal Adrenaline in the first season and were only able to have a second year because of Sue

36. I’m just waiting to see Rachel/Quinn play Santana and Brittany HA!

37. dude says:

This sounds hilarious. And really, since when has Ryan Murphy not done completely over-the-top and ridiculous storylines? Has no one seen Popular or Nip/Tuck? I really hope Rachel/Quinn play Brittany/Santana.

38. Samantha says:

Ugh, I hate Tina. She’s so useless. I Wish she was graduating.

39. sam says:

is the finale not gonna air after american idol now?

40. Kaycee says:

Dayum, there’s a lot of haters up in here! I only approve of Blaine/Darren Criss hate. Everything else is fair game to criticism… and this ridiculous plot is not one of them. This is a very sitcom-y moment, so I don’t know why people are hating at this idea. It’s been done before.

But yay for Tina! Finally a storyline! Even more excited with all these talks about “Tinchel” scenes!

41. joe says:

I’m not hating the plot I’m just getting tired of the way they can’t figure out to do with some of the characters ,take sue for example the first season she was great ,after that they didn’t know what to do with her,( running for congress getting her pregnant ) also tired of blaine Kurt ,Finn ,and Rachel. There are a lot of other characters that that should have story lines

42. Ana says:

Good for Tina getting some attention. This is hardly an original idea. Greys Anatomy and NCIS did this already but I’m curious to see where it goes. I think that Finn as Kurt should be interesting. That is if City can pull it off. He’s honestly not a great actor at all. I say, its a comedy and they want to do something different. Let’s enjoy it for what it is. People can be so unnecessarily negative.

43. murley says:

love it. one of my favorite things is when characters swap bodies. this has the potential to be hilarious.

44. Jen says:

I think some of you guys are forgetting that this is Glee. It’s a comedy, and it’s a children’s show/teenager show. It’s not going to make sense most of the time. That’s why you’re supposed to love it- it’s supposed to be fun, not serious!

45. itsabeelife says:

I am crying because I will finally get to see Rachel in a Cheerio’s uniform. CRYING. ON THE FLOOR.

46. Daniela says:

Confirmed. They are out of ideas

• Carrie says:

Obviously not, since this is an idea. I haven’t liked Glee all that much since the first season, but this sounds like a pretty fun episode, even if it’s not original. How much of TV is original? Even Fringe, to my mind the most creative show on television, uses a lot of tropes.

47. Kate says:

I wonder how much Ausiello gets paid to write an article about Glee and make it sound like the show is actually going in the right direction when its clearly just piece of garbage.

48. they do know it’s their 2ND trip to nationals not the third right?

• Tiny Tina says:

No, it seems like the writers and editors of this page believe it’s the 3rd time. When ND didn’t go to Nationals in Season 1. And the New Directions were created by Will in Season 1.