Catwalk Bloodbath: America's Next Top Model Fires Nigel Barker, J. Alexander and Jay Manuel

Nigel Barker J. Alexander Jay Manuel America's Next Top ModelNigel Barker, J. Alexander and Jay Manuel are in the running towards becoming America’s Next Top Model has-beens.

The show’s longtime mentors/judges were fired on Thursday as part of a major overhaul ahead of this fall’s 19th cycle, the New York Post reports.

ANTM host and exec producer Tyra Banks confirmed the dismissals on her Facebook page. “To my Nigel Barker, Miss J, and Mr Jay: Thank you for all of our years together on America’s Next Top Model,” she wrote. “Working with you is always an absolute pleasure. Excited for what the future holds for us.”

Added fellow EP Ken Mok in a statement: “Nigel Barker, Jay Manuel and J. Alexander have been an integral part of the America’s Next Top Model brand and they helped turn this show into the household name it is today. They have been amazing assets to the show and will always be a part of the ‘Top Model’ family. We will continue to actively work with each of them on future projects.”

In a blog post, Barker said his departure will “allow me to take on new projects and turn my attention to other business prospects in the worlds of fashion, beauty and entertainment. I also have a number of new ventures that have been in the works.”

No comment yet from Alexander or Manuel.

Thoughts? Are you in the running towards becoming Model‘s next lapsed viewer?

Comments (105)

• I wrote on FB that this is the death nail in the coffin of this ANTM. Hopefully they all get their own shows. Shame on Miss Tyra!

Comment by Pennagirl – April 20, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • mixed metaphors… death knell + nail in the coffin. heheee!

Comment by ceeli – April 20, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree completely. They were a huge part of what made the show fun to watch!

Comment by India – April 20, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I absolutely agree. Those three were the reason I watched. Just walk away now, Tyra. You just killed the show.

Miss Jay, Mr. Jay, and the adorable Nigel Barker…Much love to you all.

Comment by Tish – April 21, 2012 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes I agree once I read this I was like this is going to be crappy but I will give the new judges/mentors a shot but I am very disappointed at Tyra!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Pami C. – August 24, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okay. Then that is the end of antm. Tyra has been logging the spotlight anyway. pot ledom…wtf .

Comment by Tia – April 20, 2012 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not sure I agree ,
      One of the issues with ANTM is that they are have not been mixing in new judges / mentors fast enough to keep the show fresh ,
      Plus ,
      They really need to stop casting women that go all Ghetto when they get on camera and stop depending on sob stories to justify whey someone continues , it makes the show come off like a Special Olympics for models.

Comment by Joseph Angelo – April 21, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the main issue is that Tyra thinks she’s the be-all and end-all of the modelling world, and feels the need to insert ridiculous ‘booty-tooch’ lessons and music video challenges into the show. Did you even SEE that self-indulgent Modeland movie she made the All-Stars do? Tyra needs to step back and let the models be the center of attention.

Comment by Erin – April 21, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can Miss J now go be on Drag Race? I’d love to see him mentor the queens!

Comment by Liam Tait (@brilliam_t) – April 20, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That would be sooooo awesome!!!!! :)

Comment by J'aimes – April 20, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that….RPDR will surpass ANTM in ratings. Maybe a network like CW will pick it up.

Comment by Mz Rhonda Lewis – April 20, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is it my imagination; or is Miss Jay keeping a very low profile this year? I don’t recall seeing him on the last 2-3 episodes.

Comment by smidnite – April 20, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The three reasons I watch ANTM. Looks like 19 should be the last cycle!

Comment by Amanda – April 20, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed agreed agreed!!!

Comment by India – April 20, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually really liked these three, especially Miss J. Alexander. I would have preferred if Tyra got rid of herself and that witch Kelly Cutrone.

Comment by Shazay – April 20, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree!!!

Comment by Kathy – April 20, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Every time Tyra has a “lesson” episode where she tries to teach the girls something I feel like I dropped acid watching her try to teach them to booty tooch or be supersmize. I would prefer less Tyra and more Nigel Barker and Miss J

Comment by Ava – April 20, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed – Nigel and Jay seem to have checked their egos and keep themselves fashion forward – Tyra has let herself go and she believes because she was once a model that it entitles her to be anything other than that. Cutrone is a witch!

Comment by RAF – April 20, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Exactly. You never see Nigel or Jay leading with their ego and monopolizing the show.

This was a really bad move.

Comment by Tish – April 21, 2012 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agreed. Tyra Banks is not smart at all. Her choice of her Judges replacement won’t last. Her Baby Boyfriend Is attractive but a user and he is using Tyra as she rocks the Ctaddle. ANTM has become Boring!!! I won’t miss it if it’s taken off the AIR.

Comment by Denis – October 14, 2012 09:57 AM PDT
      • I had to laugh when I read your comment because I’ve thought the same thing. For being such a “smart businesswoman” this wasn’t such a smart move!

Comment by India – April 20, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Absolutely! What a joke!

Comment by Arr – August 28, 2012 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh @Kelly Cutrone!!!

Comment by J'aimes – April 20, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Whose bright idea was it to even have her as a judge?. I’m debating not returning next cycle.

Comment by smidnite – April 20, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree! Those three were the only reason to stay tuned. Sad. Very sad.

Comment by CM – April 20, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Those three were the show, they should produce ther own show, I would watch!d

Comment by Miserydane – April 21, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That is the absolute truth! The 3 are the show. I am so over Tyra. Move on guys, you should start your own model show and have it like the old ANTM shows were. All about the pictures not the stupid stuff Tyra’s doing now!I watched the all stars and hated it and haven’t watched an episode of the new season. Not interested.

Comment by karen maureen mallinoff – April 23, 2012 05:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right on…considering not watching again as that Cu.tron woman is extremely unpleasant to watch…slovenly and bitter ugly person…will miss Nigel an Jay but comeon

Comment by Jule – May 18, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Jay Manuel! What is she thinking? He’s the heart of the show.

Comment by Laura – April 20, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe now he can host another cycle of Canada’s Next Top Model.

Comment by dude – April 20, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Biggg mistake. Nigel and Jay Manuel were as much a part of that show as Tyra was. Do I even want to watch anymore?

Comment by jimmy – April 20, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe this. These 3 have been a integral part of the show and I have always enjoyed watching them. I haven’t watched ANY of this current season that’s airing or last season. Why would you fire them? At least Nigel has class and didn’t bash Tyra.

Comment by Melissa – April 20, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So now it can’t be the all Tyra all the time show? NO THANKS!

Comment by Amanda – April 20, 2012 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I already stopped watching in the middle of this season, but I certainly wouldn’t return after this. I don’t know what they’re going for here, but firing the only watchable people seems like a really questionable move. Here’s hoping its next season is it’s final one.

Comment by Dahlia – April 20, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the most shocking news is that this show is still on the air.

Comment by Jane – April 20, 2012 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So true.

Comment by Emily – April 20, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lols
      I wish I had said that first.

Comment by Lanka – April 20, 2012 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I thought! I had no clue it was still on until this article popped up!

Comment by Stacey – April 23, 2012 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was never a a fan oft Jays, he was a condsencing litle man.Mis Jay I liked, but it got old, kinda like Nigel

Comment by stcy – April 20, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No way I’ll be watching without Mr. Jay.

Comment by TVAddict – April 20, 2012 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, this will officially be the last season i watch. I will remove it from my season pass after this brit one is over… Boo Tyra!!

Comment by avalon1970 – April 20, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When they got rid of the best model on season 18, I was outta there. Definitely done now.

Comment by Sharon W. – April 20, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who do you think was the best model?! I was annoyed when they got rid of Az…

Comment by BL – April 20, 2012 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AzMarie of course. I find it funny she kept getting best photo, then gets eliminated the same week she tells Tyra she won’t wear those *stoopid booty tooch pads. They should have sent home the girl (Kyle?) that they said kept getting worse and worse this week. Kelly Cutrone is a HATER and needs to go. I hope AzMarie makes it big without ANTM.

Comment by A – April 20, 2012 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Competition 101: Don’t argue with the judge; no matter how stupid the request.

Comment by smidnite – April 20, 2012 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They did the same last season with the All-Stars. Laura was the best model who did consistently well and got great feedback from the clients. Tyra eliminated her but not Angelea who was consistently in the bottom two throughout the season and got a lot of negative feedback from the clients. I don’t think there is any rhyme or reason to who they eliminate.

Comment by Ava – April 20, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I actually bowed out early because I’m not an Angelea or Lisa fan.

Comment by smidnite – April 20, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They couldn’t dare have an out lesbian be AMERICA’S Next Top Model!!!! OH NOOOOO!!!!
      (please note the sarcastic tone in my voice)

Comment by J'aimes – April 20, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yup this def sealed ANTM’s fate…i haven’t watched one single episode of this season because i saw that witch kelly in a preview and i didn’t want to listen to her idiotic bile…should have gotten rid of tyra and kelly..ANTM producers are making a huge mistake..huge

Comment by Eva LePelley – April 20, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this show has run its course. Now with this news, it’s pretty much a given. The last 2 cycles have been unwatchable. It’s off my dvr.

Comment by gailer – April 20, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched since like cycle 5! ANTM should have been over so long ago!!!

Comment by Lani – April 20, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is just stupid

Comment by Sidney – April 20, 2012 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow that is super stupid! However I did not watch this cycle, but I think it is time to cancel ANTM. There are plenty of other shows on the CW that deserve to stay, RINGER for one and with the CW having 5 pilots to look at for the fall then they have to get rid of some shows and with OTH being done and having already cancelled that other stupid modelling show that so far gives 2 times slots so please cancel ANTM and that gives 3. So then the CW can just bring in 3 new shows and leave all the other shows on the CW. I do not watch Gossip Girl, Nikita or Supernatural but I do watch Hart of Dixie, 90210, Ringer, TVD and Secret Circle. So I want them to renew all those shows and for the sake of the fans that watch the other 3 then it would be nice to bring those back too as the CW fans are loyal!

Comment by Guest – April 20, 2012 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big question is: Will CW allow this franchise to die without ever attempting the 180-degree turnaround that just ONE cycle of male models would produce? I can’t even imagine the press and new viewers (along with the millions who fled cycles ago) that a hot male model cycle would engender. It boggles the mind that it hasn’t even been suggested thru 19 of the same-same-old-old girl-fight-nonsense cycles we’ve endured…while the ratings plummeted from an 8 to a 1. Doesn’t that suggest a more SIGNIFICANT change is needed than firing your main 3 assets, Tyra?

Comment by Jason – April 20, 2012 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It has. After the cycle with petite models, there were talks of doing an all male cycle, however Tyra stated somewhere that it “wasn’t in the shows best interest”. Which translates to “I have no experience as a male model, therefore have no way of making this cycle about me”. She sickens me.

Comment by Anaisa – April 20, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Having women living together and competing against each naturally (unfortunately) creates a lot drama. This is not the case with men. Anyone who has ever watched the Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise has seen this. The Bachelor seasons are (too) full of catfights and backstabbing, while the Bachelorette seasons have to create drama around the ‘Ette and HER feelings. Guys, even when they don’t like each other, don’t behave that way. They just say f you and walk away. They can even get in a fistfight, then go have a beer, lol. Men don’t hold on to feelings and grudges the way women do. I think that is what Tyra was referring to with the “wasn’t in the shows best interest” comment. They want drama in the house, and men wouldn’t bring it. That said, Nigel, J and Jay were my favorite part of the show, so I think I’m done.

Comment by Karen – April 20, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • lol!!! riiiight because men NEVER gossip! what a joke. Karen must be living on the island of Lesbos or some such place where she never EVER encountered, dealt with or observed men in her entire life.

Comment by nikkyX – April 20, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not *mature* women, Karen. Understand that these are *reality shows* which are all about *ratings.* It is all just a show. Plus, some gay men can *definitely* bring the drama. Don’t say things like that about an entire gender. That is just plain ignorant.

Comment by Lorna – April 20, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont even like Tyra, she’s quite annoying! But I do like Nigel, Ms J and Mr Jay, they are the ones that make the show! Without them, this show is going to go down hill!

Comment by Stephanie Johnson – April 20, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A male cycle is actually brilliant. The girls and gays would watch and I assume that’s a large portion of cw’s audience.

Comment by Jane – April 20, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand their desire to overhaul ANTM because it has gone downhill with each cycle, but I think the real answer here is for The CW to cancel it and move on. After 19 cycles, what more can you possibly do with this show? The All-Star cycle was an attempt at shaking things up and it was painful to watch. Besides, these 3 are part of the reason people watch. I like Tyra, but she’s not the reason I continue to tune in especially since she’s started acting like a caricature of herself. I applaud Nigel for his positive comment about the situation rather than being negative though. I think it’s time for this show to follow these 3 right out the door and give new shows an opportunity.

Comment by Dom R. (@PrettyGirlBPD) – April 20, 2012 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show has lost what little fashion cred it had left. Ever since all- stars, its now about branding and becoming “commercial” (gasp!). Nigel, Miss J, and Jay do not fit with the new scheme and for that (and them!)I am glad. If Ken and Tyra want to make this Americas Next Perfume Pushing, Can’t Really Sing, Cover Girl Wearing Mediocre Model then thats on them. This show used to be about the fashion world and was a vestige to the 90′s and what it meant to be a model. The show has had surprisingly great mentor/judge talent, all of which Tyra has chased off the show (Janice, Paulina, Twiggy and Andre to name a few).

Comment by BL – April 20, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Foolish! Too bad Tyra can’t see the real solution is for her to fire herself. She is the reason I hate watching.

Comment by mika – April 20, 2012 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get rid of Tyra. washed up.

Comment by Britt – April 20, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How funny. Tyra fires the 3 people that made the show and that people love, then they tell Tyra to fire herself. Just cancel the show. BIG mistake.

Comment by A – April 20, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tyra’s guaranteed two more cycles to sink the ship; meanwhile Bravo has already snagged Andre Leon Talley; perhaps there’s room for the others?

Comment by smidnite – April 20, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show has become less about modeling and more about being famous. Why not just have a bunch of young pretty socialites compete against each other to get the Papparazzi to notice them.

Comment by Joanne Nielsen – April 20, 2012 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Make me a supermodel” was actually a MUCH better show, more realistic about the business, the audience got to vote…and several of their contestants actually have careers. Unlike the losers on ANTM that go back home with their tails between their legs.

Comment by QJ201 – April 20, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tyra is the least interesting person on that show. Big mistake made here

Comment by Megan – April 20, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There goes that show! It was beginning to get pretty wack anyway!

Comment by J'aimes – April 20, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh man, it’s gonna be a Tookie-Tooch-Pot Ledom Tard Fest!

Comment by Boombalatty – April 20, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They will probably all have shows of their own produced by Tyra Banks’ company.

Comment by jozielee – April 20, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a shame. They surely don’t need this show to be successful (all 3 are brilliant and talented and a joy to watch), but I think the show needs them. Good luck, Tyra.

Comment by Amanda – April 20, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW…..what a mistake!!!!! That’s going to be it for this show….SMH

Comment by llws – April 20, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This will be the last season I watch. I loved that trio. This show has started to go downhill for me and I was already thinking this would be the last cycle for me, but this confirms it. I watch more for those guys than the contestants. Just like I watched Idol for Simon and quit watching it when he left that show.

I really hope that Sophie or Alisha wins this cycle, but I’d be happy with any of the Brits winning. Azmarie was the only American I really liked this season, though Laura’s okay, too.

Comment by SophieJ – April 20, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bye bye Tyra! By firing these integral people, you’ve just sealed your fate.

Comment by Nene – April 20, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, since the All-Star season, something really happened to this show. It used to be a pretty interesting look at prospective modeling, featuring girls of diverse backgrounds and mentored by a fashion icon who knew the ropes and offered constructive advice. Now it’s just about reality-TV wannabes who don’t appear to do more than throw down, bad-mouth “all dem other bitches,” lay the hate on each other, and writhe around in fifth-rate music videos.

I guess this is what Tyra learned in business school.

I’m done with this show. Sad.

Comment by Dyl – April 20, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed the comrodery between Nigel, J & Jay working with the models & giving them advice & positive criticism to do better more than any other part of the show. I seriously hope & am rooting for these three to return with their own show & blow all other shows and ratings out of the water. They could totally do it, no doubt.

Comment by Bobby – April 20, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I could choose who I would fire, it would have been the supremely annoying Tyra.

Comment by wendeeloo – April 20, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show should have gotten the boot long ago, it’s a joke.

Comment by zombiehugs37 – April 20, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is really the beginning of the end for Top Model, depending on how many more cycles it would take based on the network’s decision.

Comment by bad kevin – April 20, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like many others posting here, I’ve stopped watching. Saw one episode of the current cycle and decided it wasn’t worth my time. Enjoy each of those guys more than Tyra (who is just too impressed with herself).

Comment by Jan – April 20, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The All-Stars cycle followed by the clusterf*ck that is the British Invasion have doomed ANTM in my eyes. I am already a lapsed viewer. However, firing the only reasons at all to even think of watching again confirms it for me. The show is a pale and ragged shadow of what it once was. I’m done and gone.

Comment by Kat – April 20, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ANTM & Tyra is way way passe overdue yonkers ago. The real TV entertainment is with Rupaul Drag Race. Main difference is; Rupaul is genuinely a great human being & drag icon that cares and is grounded unlike Diva T. Good riddance ANTM.

Comment by Akira Hideyo – April 20, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The main reason I can’t watch? I’m too “embarrassed” FOR the insane way that Tyra acts. It makes me uncomfortable. The one and ONLY thing that would bring me back to ANTM would be a male cycle. Dead serious…that’s IT. Young men…or nothing.

Comment by Marc – April 20, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe they should get rid of Tyra & stop doing such weird photo shots.

In the Australian version- they do photoshoots for real designers, not fantasy shoots

Comment by Kellike – April 20, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. The girls on Australia’sNTM actually LOOK like models too.

Comment by Alex – April 20, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So true!!! It’s funny how all the other NTMs out in the world (especially Australia) are 10x more legit than anything Tyra and ANTM has ever produced! A joke! The show has no credit in the fashion world! Wake up Tyra! The show was good (and ‘realistic’) for about 3 cycles… But then again I’ve continued to watch even though it’s been going down hill for a LONG time

Comment by TM – April 21, 2012 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Both Austraila’s and New Zealand’s NTM are fantastic examples of what this show can, and should, be.

Comment by Dyl – April 21, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Tyra stupid? She must be. Dude, those 3 were the only people (and twiggy) who isn’t annoying. But oh no, tyra cant have anyone outshine her so she gets rid of them? Lmao. Have fun getting your pink slip you annoying cunt.

Comment by Skye – April 20, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jay M, Miss Jay and Nigel are not what’s wrong with the show. They’ve completely strayed from what made it interesting to watch. I don’t want to see them write songs or film music videos. This isn’t a music competition. I understand that there are many facets of the modeling biz but I don’t think music is one of them unless you’re a hot model cast in a music video as eye candy. Perhaps they could’ve replaced them one at a time? But all at once? WRONG!! They lent a lot of experience and valid input. I don’t like that new judge either. And where does Tyra get her wardrobe anyway? KMart?

Comment by IdaRed – April 20, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stopped watching a few seasons back.. but doing this to spark ratings on a show that’s almost 20 cycles in is just naive. The show itself is dying. These 3 were the only good thing about it. Boo on you if you had a say so and let this happen, Tyra.

Comment by Danielle H – April 20, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post