American Horror Story Season 2 Setting Revealed

Get More: News, Spoilers

American Horror Story co-creator Ryan Murphy took the stage Wednesday at an Academy of Television Arts & Sciences event honoring the FX series and revealed for the first time the super-secret location of the anthology drama’s sophomore season.

“[Season 2] is set on the East Coast at an institution for the criminally insane that is run by Jessica [Lange's new character],” Murphy shared with the crowd (as reported by The Hollywood Reporter).

The news should come as no huge surprise to fans given the recent casting of French actress Lizzie Brocheré, whose character was likened to Angelina Jolie’s hospitalized sociopath in Girl, Interrupted.

Season Finale Guide: Get Exclusive Spoilers on 52 Big Finishes!

Murphy added that Horror Story‘s second season will take place in “a completely different time period,” and also confirmed reports that Maroon 5 frontman and Voice judge Adam Levine had signed on for Season 2. “He’s a sexy guy so he needs to play a sexy guy, but the guy that is different than who you think he would play,” Murphy shared. “I pitched him the part and he listened, slack jawed, and simply said, ‘I’m in.’”

As previously reported, Zachary Quinto, Evan Peters, Sarah Paulson and Lily Rabe — who in Season 1 played Chad, Tate, psychic Billie Dean and doctor’s wife Nora — are set to return for Season 2 but as different characters.

Thoughts on the latest Horror Story news? Hit the comments!

Comments (36)

• Jessica Lange in charge. Can’t freakin’ wait!

Comment by dee123 – April 19, 2012 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh yeah this is definitely going to be good. I OFFICIALLY CANNOT WAIT FOR OCTOBER.

Comment by K95 – April 19, 2012 04:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very much looking forward to it.

Comment by Truly Roxie – April 19, 2012 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DEFINITELY. I’m in. Loved AHS’s first go-round, and I really love the season-long anthology concept.

Comment by Annie – April 19, 2012 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it… also Levine is going to be a part of a couple called the lovers? Maybe he is one of the ghosts??

Comment by Denise@americanhorrorstoryfan – April 19, 2012 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hope its set in the 40s, 50s or 60s

Comment by nellycooke@hotmail.co.uk – April 19, 2012 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Or 1930s – any time period when psychiatric medicine was barbaric and scary.

Comment by Temis – April 19, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, why can’t Kate Mara (Hayden) be back! She was my favorite!

Comment by Fabe – April 19, 2012 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because she was probably the most hated character last season?

Comment by Sam – April 19, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hayden was a hated character, but that doesn’t mean Kate Mara was a hated actress. All of the actors are playing new characters, and I would have liked to have seen Kate Mara return.

She’s going to be in a Netflix series next year–”House of Cards”–so that may be why she’s not returning to American Horror Story. It’s a shame, since I don’t subscribe to Netflix.

Comment by Thom – April 19, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • We don’t know which actors they wanted back and couldn’t get. The actresses playing the young and old Moira also have new pilots and are unavailable. I can see why an actor would rather book a show where they would play the same character year after year rather than AHS, where every year could be your last.

Comment by Temis – April 19, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the sound of season 2! I’m so gladpart of the cast is returning, especially Jessica Lange. She plays nutty so well.

Adam Levine is an interesting casting choice…I wonder if he can actually act?

Comment by laurenrjacobs – April 19, 2012 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That cast sounds terrible… No thanks.

Comment by Nick – April 19, 2012 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In what screwed up world do you live in where that’s a bad cast??? Apprehension over Mr. Maroon 5 i get, but since when is a 2 time Oscar winner terrible?

Comment by Keenan – April 19, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The cast is the best part of the show. It sure isn’t the writing, lol!

Comment by Temis – April 19, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds a lot more promising than the first season which I liked but was basically standard haunted house that was overrun by too many ghosts.

Comment by mika – April 19, 2012 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I felt the same way about the first season. I was intrigued at first, but “too many ghosts spoiled the broth” after a while. What started out creepy just became ridiculous by the end. I hope lessons that were learned in the first season will make the second season much better.

Comment by Thom – April 19, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can not wait for Season 2!

Comment by Toby – April 19, 2012 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Does anybody know what date this starts? I missed season 1, please someone let me know, thanks.

Comment by Carolyn – May 7, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVED Season 1. But having the same actors playing different characters sounds moronic. I like different characters and settings each season, that part is great. But why use the same actors? There must be thousands of actors to choose from, why do you have to use the same ones? Makes no sense.

Comment by jack – April 19, 2012 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, I think that aspect is quite cool. An ensemble tackling different stories over multiple seasons is a great concept.

Comment by drastrozoom – April 19, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re re-hiring many of the same actors because they’re the strength of the show. The writing certainly isn’t. It’s a big risk to ditch the storyline and characters, to ditch the actors as well is equivalent to just creating a whole new series. Why even give it the same name, then? Audiences will be confused and might bail. With recognizable actors, at least there’s something for them to like.

Comment by Temis – April 19, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Itd be pretty expensive for them to hire an entire new cast every season It’s already surprising enough that theyre giving this anthology concept a try. Keeping previous actors/actresses was a good financial decision.

Comment by Michael – April 19, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love that they’re keeping some fo the cast too – there needs to be some continuity and I think it’ll seem extra freaky to see faces we know and have judged in a certain way behaving completely differently

Comment by Beccy – April 20, 2012 03:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 1 was fun, but also ridiculously terrible. This actually sounds promising. I think Mr. Murphy will have more to work with if the main characters aren’t some dumb rubes like the Harmons.

Comment by Sam – April 19, 2012 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to Evan Peters the most. He made me fall in love with a psychopath and shed some major tears.

Comment by kaykay – April 19, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew it, they gave away the game when they started talking about looking for a Gia-like actress. But how does this synch with the so-called hints given in the last three episodes of S1?

Comment by Temis – April 19, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bille was talking in “birth” about how the house is like a battery running off the evil that happened there and how some places are magnets for evil like prisons and asylums. r somthing to that effect. that was the hint Ryan was talking about

Comment by Peter Bishop (@_PeterBishop_) – April 25, 2012 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, it’s Shutter Island. I’m disappointed. We expect horror at a mental institution. They’re horrible places where horrible things happen. How about a high end retirement community or an exclusive country club? I’d watch that. Going out on a limb and predicting season 3 will take place at an orphanage.

Comment by Greenerpuddles – April 19, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t Chris Colfer new movie happening in a mental asylium in the 1930′s?

Comment by ana – April 19, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Evan Peters is back: my faith in humanity has been restored.

Comment by Beth – April 19, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for season 2. Loved season 1 & can’t wait to see what Jessica and the rest of the cast will be this time.

Comment by theresa – April 19, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is never going to live up to season 1. Going downhill.
    Longlive the Harmons

Comment by Ryce – April 21, 2012 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it is the 30′s or 40′s as mental health institutions were completely inhumane back then. horrid experiements were conducted. in the name of science. that were sick and twisted. Add that to the fact it is for the crinimally insane and you get living murderers and rapists before they are ghosts. imagine the terror of a place like that.
    that or its even older and back in 1800s

Comment by Peter Bishop (@_PeterBishop_) – April 25, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know about casting the same people, but as different characters. Doesn’t make it original. Just sounds stupid.

Comment by rod – May 7, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post