Vampire Diaries Preview: Tyler's Back! But Has Caroline Been Swept Away by Klaus?!

Vampire Diaries Tyler/Caroline/KlausCaroline’s love life is heating up on The Vampire Diaries.

Not only has she attracted the attention of Original vampire Klaus (played by Joseph Morgan), but in this Thursday’s episode (The CW, 8/7c) she also welcomes back Tyler (Michael Trevino) to Mystic Falls. And from what Candice Accola tells TVLine, fans of the latter couple “are going to be very excited by their reunion.”

Season Finale Guide: Get Exclusive Spoilers on 54 Big Finishes — Including Vampire Diaries!

However, as much as Caroline’s “elated” to see her old boyfriend again, things might be a little awkward between the two given his long absence and what’s transpired during that time (that is, Klaus’ not-so-little crush). “In a romantic relationship, it takes a minute to get back into that flow, that dance,” Accola explains.

Meanwhile, Tyler’s stepping into a complicated, new dynamic without even knowing it. “He’s not privy to any sort of friendship or emotional connection that Klaus would have towards Caroline,” says Accola. But he’ll quickly take note of the fact that something‘s shifted between his sire and his girl. “It’s an inevitable moment in which Tyler and Klaus and Caroline are all going to be in the same room, so it will come to a head, and we will see the repercussions of Caroline and Klaus spending time together.”

“Spending time together”? Does that mean the blonde vamp is actually giving the baddie hybrid the time of day? “She’s not interested at all,” Accola maintains. “She can completely see that he’s not a good person and that he’s selfish and that he’s done nothing but come in and ruin the lives of the people that she’s loved.”

But isn’t it a TV trope that good girls love the bad guy? “She’s still allowing him to enter her space and her environment, and there are going to be some conflicting moments that [are] brought to Tyler’s attention,” the actress allows. Plus, you know, “He has an accent! Who’s not intrigued when someone has an accent? Come on!”

Vampire Diaries Hot Shots: Who’s Taking Whom to the 1920s Dance? And Why Is [Spoiler] Crying?

Klaus will use the worldliness that comes with his Euro sound to try and sweep Caroline off her feet. Because from where he stands, “She deserves to see more of the world and to witness more of the culture and to make a bigger impact in the world, make bigger waves,” argues the Original’s portrayer, Joseph Morgan. “Tyler is not the man to do that with her.”

But how can Klaus convince Caroline that his feelings are genuine? Step one: “He’s certainly not going to try and compel her or anything like that,” Morgan assures us. “He’s absolutely going to try and woo her.” He’ll even show up at the high school’s Decade Dance… for another twirl around the floor? “Klaus and Caroline could possibly dance…,” Acccola replies very diplomatically.

As for what Tyler’s return means for Klaus’ plan to win over Caroline, “He’s not really taking that threat seriously at the moment,” says Morgan. After all, as his sire, he can just tell the youngster to go away. That is, if Tyler hasn’t figured out a way to break the bond, a mystery that will be answered in this week’s episode. And if Tyler succeeds, Klaus should be looking at his progeny in a new light.

“Tyler can probably be a formidable foe and a worthy adversary,” warns Morgan.

1. Autumn says:

Really looking forward to this episode. Klaus and Caroline have become my favorite part of the show! I think Caroline is just telling herself she’s not interested.

• Danielle H says:

I don’t know if she is though. I’d like to see some real Klaus/Caroline for no other reason then the fact that they have chemistry and since Klaus is obviously not dying any time soon it would be nice to really delve into the nice side of him. BUT.. I don’t know that the writers are gonna let this one happen.

• Dash says:

I think Klaus can win her over. Tyler is a decent high school boyfriend, Klaus will be her first adult relationship. Plus they need to integrate Klaus into the group so we can move on from the kill Klaus SL. If anybody would be willing to see past Klaus’ past evil deeds it would be Caroline. She sees good in people when others aren’t willing to.

2. Danielle H says:

This is such an interesting triangle.. one that DEFINITELY needs more screen time.
    I just have always found it weird how this show ships away semi-main characters for months of the season (Tyler, Matt, Bonnie, Jeremy).. I get that there are alot of characters and would rather have more time w/ the Salvatore brothers then these characters, but it is so glaring sometimes when this happens.
    Although I wish True Blood would take a page out of the focusing on the main characters book and put more time on Sookie and her vamp men then on alll the stupid side characters. Which is probably why nowadays TVD trumps even True Blood for me! :)

• Autumn says:

I agree about True Blood. I just cannot take all those side characters anymore and horrible subplots. It needs to be focused on the main characters more. I find myself fast forwarding through like half of each episode.

• Dash says:

I have always found that I really like that they are willing to write episodes that leave out main characters. I hate when shows shoehorn a character into a SL that they shouldn’t be involved in. However, TVD has started falling back onto the ship someone awy for months at a time sL too many times. I can’t wait to see JEremy today. I’ve missed the character and think he could have become an awesome vampire hunter if Elena hadn’t pitched a fit.

3. Elizabeth says:

Call me crazy, but I kind of love the idea of Klaus and Caroline.

4. BubbleGirl says:

I think Klaus and Caroline have amazing potential and I’m really curious to see where it goes. They have a great chem and vibe and you see glimmers of the real man inside Klaus and not just the “crazed killer”/villian role we’ve been seeing. I want to like Klaus too, and a complex, developing relationship with Caroline is just the right thing.

5. Amanda says:

I think Candice is trying to be very diplomatic .something definitely comes to a head. Plus , if klaroline were to happen it would be over a long term. At the moment, I can see why Caroline would certainly not give him the time of day.

6. Tamim says:

The only way I could see Caroline and Klaus getting together is if Klaus willingly (or maybe unwillingly) turned off his “vamp-emotion” shield and was suddenly able to feel sorrwo and guilt — and Caroline saw this. She’s such a sucker for the suffering Guy, so if she found Klaus expressing true guilt and remorse… maybe…

7. Suzie says:

Ugh, I really can’t stand this ridiculous klaus/Caroline/Tyler thing. I just don’t understand it at all. The only reason I watched this show was for forwood and To say I’ve been disappointed would be an understatement. It’s not even the love triangle that bothers me so much as how horribly misused Tyler’s character has been. It’s really unfair to his character, the actor, and most certainly to forwood fans (few though we may be). There are so many characters running around and so many loose threads to tie up that I’m sure Tyler’s return will have to content itself with the measly 3 minutes of screen time he’d be lucky to get. I just don’t understand why the writers threw away forwood like that- they had such potential! Now it’s too late in the season, Tyler’s been gone way too long, and too many fans have jumped ‘ship (though if you ask me a braclet, a pony drawing, and a dance hardly constitue a relationship!) to give forwood the storyline it deserved. Seriously, why bother with all that build up last season to just ship him off and throw Caroline with klaus?!
    I’m so bummed about all of this, I think I’m just going to save myself the heartache and skip the rest of the season…

• Anna says:

I feel the exact same way Suzie. Klaroline is a poorly thought-out random crackship that makes both of them look bad. I may just skip the rest of the season too.

• Manie says:

Amen to the ridiculousness of Klaus/Caroline… talk about crack ship!

• kaybee says:

AMEN. SOMEONE WITH A BRAIN. but don’t skip the rest of the season. klaroline will n e v e r happen. ever.

• Darcy Frimpong says:

omg u have no freakin taste in relationships no offense but klaus as in joseph morgan is better hotter has more depth and has a *gasp* british accent i love tyler but the epic teen vamp wolf thing is old see twilightanklaus really loves caroline down with forwood gooooo klaroline hahaha

8. Nicole says:

Klaroline <33333

9. Heather says:

I really hope that Tyler and Caroline can pull through. They have great chemistry!! I like that the show can add a little drama to the mix but it`s always going to Caroline and Tyler for me.

10. Stephanie says:

Forwood forever.

11. Amy says:

Yay Klaus and Caroline! :)

12. Brit says:

I can’t help but ship Caroline with everyone on the show. lol! Excited for more Klaroline! :) I kinda just want her single and her friendship with Stefan back! I also want to see Tyler hang out with Matt and Jeremy some more cause the poor dude is all about Caroline and no one else!

13. Cassie says:

still waiting on Stefan/Caroline to happen! he needs a fun chick and not dull Elena. She brings everyone down. -.-

14. MaryAnn says:

Klaus gives me the creeps and a shudder every time he comes on screen, and it seems something straight out of a nightmare every time he pretends to act normal, so it goes without saying that I can’t STAND to see him with Caroline, or with any other female who is reasonably normal in her view of the world. That said, it will be good to see Tyler back, and I hope he can get back on track with Caroline.

15. cas says:

I personally like how people always say they aren’t going to watch the show anymore because of one aspect of it. Like Caroline and Klaus being the reason someone stops watching. I would think that these people don’t watch much TV considering they stop watching everytime something they don’t like happens. Really?

• Guest says:

I agree! It is so silly when people say that! I am a true fan of the show and for me there has never been anything I did not like but there are other shows that I watch and enjoy and some things I do not like but I still watch as over all those things in the end are part of what makes a show good!

• Suzie says:

To be honest, there are plenty of other qualms I have with this show- season 3 in particular- besides what they’ve done to Forwood, it just so happens that that’s the hair the broke the camel’s back for me. The one thing I cannot and will not over look. the story lines this season have been weak, there’s no follow through, no fall out, before they’ve moved on to some other far fetched plan, character’s I’ve been emotionally invested in since season 1 have been literally shipped out of town to make way for a bunch of new peeps I don’t give a damn about. It’s been 21 episodes of trying to kill klaus, klaus trying to kill everyone else- the entire season has proved only one thing, everyone in mystic falls is ineffectual, bad guys and heros alike. Now, I don’t expect you to agree, but as far as I’m concerned, those are legitimate reason to stop watching a show you once saw great potential in.

16. I don’t care much for Klaus’ thing for Caroline, but so long as Caroline isn’t giving him the time of day, it’s kind of a moot point.

17. meagainpauline says:

Klaus! Keep on wooing Caroline! Don’t give up! :)

18. sassi kawther says:

i don’t think that klaroline will happen this season but i’m really loving their storyline i was a huge fan of forwood but when klaus gived caroline his blood it was so weird but incredibly amazing and i think caroline deserve to see the world and LIVE not just staying in MF to save elena ( i’m starting to hate elena now she’s pissing me off )

19. Michelle says:

I will take any and all Klaroline action we can get. I love them together. Tyler would have some clue if he’d pick up a damn phone. I sort of get leaving town to get his sire bond under control, but he can’t call? Seriously? Completely bailing like that is the shipping cardinal sin for me. I absolutely hate that “leaving for your own good” garbage. So yeah, I’m a proud Klaroline shipper.

20. sarah says:

I love Thursday nights when new episodes of my shows are on!
    I guess that is where Tyler was this whole time, coming to grips with being a hybrid AND how to break the sire bond! However he will still end up dying if they kill Klaus unless they find a way to break the blood line curse too, which I am sure they will next season.

21. Carrie says:

We haven’t even experienced this “love triangle” yet, and it’s already 100x more interesting than Stefan/Elena/Damon.

I think Klaroline has the potential to be amazing in the future….if not right now.

• Ava says:

Agreed! Klaus/Caroline/Tyler is so much more interesting than the Elena trianble. Maybe because Caroline isn’t a whiny little biotch.

22. CCaroline says:

Klarolie all the way, teh best ship ever! <3 :)))…They make me soo happy, the actors are very talented and great, but Candice can try not to hurt Klaroline fans feelings…Its making her so popular but she doesnt care…This is TVD, there are not pure couples, so…Klaroline 4ever <3 :)))

23. The worst idea ever. it;s even more ridiculous than damon & Elena pairing. And Klaus lost his mojo because of this stupid klaroline. i want him to back to being that genious real bad ass like in ep 5. This show needs a villain who will stay all the time villain and won’t be becoming soft because of some stupid teenage barbie vampire who doesn’t deserve him and who only knows how to paint her fingernails. For Christ sake klaus is a thousand years old vampire. if you want him to fall in love with sb give him sb who at least will be a belivable match for vampire that old because caroline isn’t. She’s like a casual teenager and Klaus had seen enough of normal teenage girls during his life. After such long life he should be interested in sb unusual, f. ex. a witch that can actually kick asses, uses her powers for her own benefit and pleasure, who isn’t scared of him and won’t give up after classic: “If you don’t do what I want I kill/hurt your friends, family etc”. A witch that will understand how to play with an original and his threats won’t make any impression on her. Sb who will be very similar to him but still very different. But what’s worse whole season 2 writers were creating Caroline’s relationship with Tyler, these two had been through so much, became really beliveable as a couple and suddenly after one scene turns out that caroline is better with Klaus. It’s just stupid. But even sadder than this plot are actually “fans” who not so long ago were head over hills for forwood and now after one scene they think that caroline & klaus should be together. This is ridiculous.

24. Angela says:

Julie Plec said she couldn’t understand how people could ship Bonnie, such a good, strong character, with a horrible man like Kol (paraphrasing).

I wonder how she feels about Klaroline?

Klaroline just makes me roll my eyes. It’s the cliche “bad boy falls for good girl” romance taken to the extreme. He has done horrible things to her, killed so many people (including Aunt Jenna) and is a psychopath. Yeah, I find his character fascinating, but that doesn’t mean I would wish him with Caroline. That’s just an abusive relationship waiting to happen. Then again, television tends to glamorize abusive relationships all the time, so I guess it wouldn’t be out of the ordinary.

I’m getting the vibe Klaroline isn’t going anywhere. I really hope I’m right. Elena loving Damon even after he killed Jeremy in front of her is one thing, but Caroline loving Klaus is just…too far out there for me to accept or embrace.

• Ava says:

Are you a Stefan or Damon fan? Both of them have killed scores of people, Damon killed Bonnie’s mother for christ’s sake. I think it’s a weak arguement to say, “Klaus has killed so many people.” Yea but so have all of the other vampires on this show. Even CAroline has killed someone.

• katiesiss says:

But at least when damon, Stefan or caroline killed sb they tried to fix it or make up for it. Klaus enjoys hurting everybody who stands in his way, not only strangers but even his family. He has no regrets about it because he loves being evil. Good luck for caroline in finding happines with sb like that, especially when she’s supposed to be so carying about her close ones. And I remind that all of them were hurt by Klaus. Where’s logic in that?

25. Klaroline is the worst ship ever! Forwood is the best, even if sometimes it was underestimated. Don’t stop loving and believing in Tyler Caroline! He’s the Man of your life!

26. Billy Joe says:

I see a lot of people are angry about how they drop chars like Jeremy or Tyler… But don’t you think it’s for a good reason… Who knows Tyler might be the one to defeat Klaus now that he’s back… Who knows what surprises he has in store… He was gone for a while breaking the sire bond he might be stronger now… And Jeremy its obvious that hes a main char he wouldn’t be gone for long… I’m not so much into the relationship of everyone but I am interested it the plans they come up with.

27. Kelly says:

I still can’t believe that anyone thinks Caroline should be with Klaus. He’s a stone cold killer…she pisses him off enough, he’ll kill her! Klaus is not like Damon…sorry people.
    I think you need to listen to the actress when she says Caroline is not interested. I think she may know better than us.
    Klaus is NOT like stefan and damon….he’s not going to turn ‘good’. Just let it go! She deserves better than that! It’s only because people think he’s cute. How sad.

28. J. says:

I love Klaus and I like Caroline, too, but Klaroline is a NO GO for me!

29. nina says:

Speaking from his character’s point of view, Joseph Morgan weighs in:

“She deserves to see more of the world and to witness more of the culture and to make a bigger impact in the world, make bigger waves. Tyler is not the man to do that with her.”

• chevell powell says:

i love klaroline they could be good one another she need’s a man that can give her more and even if that man is not klaus i don’t believe tyler can

• katiesiss says:

Joseph is right. Tyler can’t do that with her. But neither can Klaus. End of story.

• Riv says:

FORWOOD FOREVER… Does anyone else feel sorry for Tyler… The guy lost his father and uncle, no-one cares for him, excpet Caroline and Matt; and at the end of the day, it’s not his fault that he’s been sired… Remember, he didn’t want to bite her, he stood up to Klaus… Anyways, he’s been torturing himself for five episodes turning, putting himself through that pain because he loves Caroline…

Tyler is also only 18, so in time, he can offer Caroline all the luxury of the world, art, culture, travel etc etc etc… In fact, like most couples, they can discover all of this together… That’s the beauty of a strong relationship – learning and growing together…

Caroline is perfecy for Tyler becasue she gets that he is a werewolf, and that they are angry and moody and Caroline gets that, she gets him…

The writers played out their storyline so beautifully in season 2, and they spoilt it terribly in season 3. TVD needed one romance that would span at least an entire season and this relationship should have been it. They should have found a way of making this relationship the rock relationship and have all the other stuffs happen around it. Similar to what they did with Andie and Pacey in Dawson’s Creek season 2 (though preferrably no-one gets institutionalised).

Klaus, really, a mass murderer who has killed and taunted all of Caroline’s loved ones??? Is this what young girls think love is or associate with love??? Like one of the readers said, I would hardly count a bracelt, a pony drawing and one dance as the description of a man who’s in love. I love FORWOOD, they found each other when no-one wanted them…

30. hollybear says:

This is how I feel. Yes I admitted I completely adored karolineand Tyler. The way that their love bloomed was just beautiful to me. But then he leaves and after a while it gets boring, her simply waiting for him to come back. Then u have Klaus, the villian who EVERYONE hated in the beginning, even me. Everyone is saying how Caroline shouldn’t be with him because he is evil and has done horrible things. Um hello??? Why do u think he’s that way. Klaus has never had anyone to love and anyone to love him back and Caroline is the perfect one for him because she can find the good in everyone. And yes I’m sure that there IS good in even Klaus. It just takes real love to find it. I always find the best love stories in ones where one doesn’t know the meaning of love but the other shows them. KLAROLINE!!!!!!!