Early Intel on Homeland Season 2: Will Carrie Go Rogue? Plus: The New Threat to Brody

The Season 2 premiere of Showtime’s acclaimed Homeland is still more than five months away (on Sept. 30), but this early intel on what’s coming up, courtesy of showrunner Alex Gansa, is burning a hole in our digital pocket. Plus, you may find it interesting to learn that someone you thought was out of the mix in fact is still in it, perhaps more so than ever.

Writers Guild Awards: Breaking Bad, Homeland and Modern Family Win Big

Picking up about six months after the events of the Season 1 finale — that is, Brody’s failed attempt on the lives of Vice President Walden and his inner circle, followed by frustrated Carrie’s submission to shock treatment to cure what mentally ails her — Gansa says Season 2 will kick off with big questions such as, “How’s Carrie’s rehabilitation? What’s up with Saul? What’s up with Brody and his wife, his political career?”

Tackling that first topic, Gansa says viewers will see “right away” how Carrie gets back involved with the investigation into Abu Nazir and his master plan, whatever that might now be — despite the fact that, having copped to mental illness, she is now persona non grata with the CIA. “It would have been too far a jump to bring her back into the fold full bore,” Gansa acknowledges. “However, there are ways that she can work around the edges of the intelligence community that make sense.”

But will Carrie, with bits of her short-term memory fried by the ECT, ever retrieve her realization that Sgt. Brody knew Abu Nazir’s son, who was among the collateral damage of a black-ops U.S. military strike? “There’s a tremendous sense out there in the audience of wanting Carrie to know that she was right, that she’s not crazy and is really good at what she does, and that’s the moment we’re going to be building towards,” says Gansa. “Whether it’s going to happen in Season 2, I can’t tell you.”

In the meantime, the exec producer shares, “Carrie has willed herself into a place of mental health, so she’s very different from where she was last year.”

Homeland Season 1 Finale Post-Mortem: Burning Questions Answered, Plus Scoop on Season 2

Yet Carrie and whatever alliance she is able to forge anew with Saul and the Agency will not be the only threat to Brody and any new marching orders handed to him by Abu Nazir. No, he will also land in the crosshairs of his wife Jessica’s jilted lover — but not in any soap opera-y, man scorned sort of way.

“Mike is going to be a big factor,” says Gansa, deflecting our suggestion that Diego Klattenhoff’s character had run his course. “Since he’s in military intelligence, he is going to get a hold of the commission report on the assassination attempt against the vice president, and there’s going to be a bunch of stuff in there that doesn’t make sense to him.”

Golden Globe Winner Claire Danes Calls Homeland Role a ‘Blessing’

“[Walden] is the object of Brody’s fury and was the man he was trying to kill, so any time you put those two characters together, it’s a very interesting dynamic. We wanted to keep that alive in the second season,” he explained. And while Abu Nazir only made intermittent appearances in Season 1, either via video or in flashback, “He does factor in in a major way this year.”

Are you anxiously awaiting Season 2 of Homeland? Here’s a video recap of the finale/teaser for what’s coming up this fall. (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Superhero says:

I’m extremely excited. Homeland is one of the best shows on television, and season 1 might very well be the best season of television that Showtime’s ever done. It came at just the right time, too; what with Dexter being excruciatingly awful at this point. It’s definitely my most anticipated show of the fall.

2. kirads09 says:

Definitely anxious for this! Agreed – one of the best shows ever.
    Watched Season 1 on demand over an entire weekend because I literally couldn’t stop, needing to know what happened next.

3. John Moshier says:

great show kept me on the edge of my seat

4. Marsha says:

Maybe carrie can come back as a consultant – independent contractor type person for the CIA.

5. militantgod says:

No mention of David Marciano (Virgil) being promoted to a regular? I love me some quasi-Billings!

6. bad kevin says:

Can’t wait for the new season of Homeland on Sept. 30th and of course, the answers ARE coming.

7. Danielle says:

Looking forward to Season 2 of Homeland. Thanks for the scoop. Always welcome!

8. Ryan says:

The last episode of season 1 killed this show for me completely. Brody should have set that bomb off, and everything afterwards was just terrible. Carrie suddenly realizing a connection between Brody and Nazir right before electroshock therapy, feels like a soap opera storyline, very forced to drag the show out. Really doubt I’ll tune in.

9. militantgod says:

Matt it’s because you asked about the two characters nobody cares about. “Lastly, we asked Gansa about the decision to promote Jamey Sheridan (aka Vice President Walden) and Navid Nagahban (who plays Abu Nazir) to series regular status for Season 2.”. FAIL!

10. Ben Kabak says:

OMG Yes!

11. lilybopbops says:

I believe the Vice President’s aid, right hand man, is an Abu Nazir mole. The actor who plays him had a major role as a sleeper cell terrorist on 24. I have a hunch he’s a sleeper in Homeland, too.

12. I can’t wait for Homeland to come back! Def the best show on TV last season.

13. raheez says:

I absolutely love homeland omggg iam 15 and I think this is one of the best shows ever I hope it continues to be interesting and I hope there will be more seasons like 3 4 5…. Carrie,Brody Saul everyone is amazing

14. Rosie says:

Watched this over 3 days, brilliant !!! Can’t wait for the next season :)

15. Emily R says:

Enjoyed the series- a bit slow at times and I thought there would have been more of a story if walker ended up being a good guy and was attempting to shoot brody! He could have been a new recruit for series 2 having been caught and had his take on life as a ‘convert’ to Islam!

16. Carl says:

Does Nyone know when season two is out in the uk

17. John kelly says:

Watched it here in the uk, best programme on tv. EVER

18. Carole Taylor says:

OMG …… I have been on the edge of my seat every Sunday for the last 12 weeks. Brilliant tv…….PLEASE let me know when series 2 is on in the UK !!

19. natalie daulby says:

Best show that has been on telly in a long time……….. Gutted it has finished don’t no what I am going to do Sunday night now, but on a plus looking forward to the next series

20. Jamie Denneby says:

Does anyone know when this is FINALLY coming out on DVD?

21. david weall says:

Best prog on tele

22. jp says:

I am so sorry this will not start again over the summer! Great, edge-of-the-seat show!

23. My wife Liz thinks that Walker is still alive and it was a put-up job for the benefit of Abu on the phone. She also thought the ending was very disappointing and typical Hollywood.

24. brad oliver says:

I loved this programe but some things bothered me like if Brody has converted to Islam why is he drinking and eating Pork ?

25. Tanygray says:

Just watched the S1 finale!! Amazing but what a cliff hanger…. The tension between the key characters is amazing! Roll on S2!

26. Reblogged this on Pioneerofprocrastination's Blog and commented:
    Thinking about what might happen in the second series of something that has only just finished is a great time waster

27. Robin Brittain says:

Without question the best American drama series ever to be shown on British TV. Spellbinding from start to finish.

28. Dab says:

Saul=mole

29. When 24 ended I thought I would never again become ADDICTED to a TV show. To this point Jack Bauer and his team provided me with my favourite TV EVER. However in just ONE week I watched all 12 episodes of HOMELAND and I’m ADDICTED. Can’t wait for Season 2. September can’t come quick enough. Hopefully Kerri Will be ‘cured’ and on top of her game again and Brody will spend the entire season trying to kill her! Great TV. Well done SHOWTIME.

30. gregorylent says:

watched it all … forgot everything and everyone .. disposable culture

31. Brian says:

The whole “I can affect policy” line was really deflating. It was almost like they wrote the first season as the only season. When they got renewed, that was the best they could come up with?

32. Nick says:

Phenomenal show, my favorite ever. Im thinking that Brody turns out to be a good guy and goes back to his allegiances to America and to the CIA. Looking forward to however it pans out.

33. Can’t wait for the new season to start! I usually can’t stay up past 10; I make an exception for this series! So I won’t be my friendliest on Monday morning – small price to pay!