Ratings: Gossip Girl and Dixie Inch Up, HIMYM, Broke Girls and Smash Hit Lows

The CW’s Gossip Girl and Hart of Dixie were among the precious few Monday shows to register ratings gains this week.

Gossip Girl, with 1.12 million total viewers and a 0.6 demo rating, was up 14 and 20 percent week-to-week, while Dixie (1.32 mil/0.6) ticked up 10 and 20 percent, delivering its best demo numbers since Feb. 20.

The night’s biggest drop was sustained by How I Met Your Mother, which with 7.3 mil and a 3.0 fell 14 percent in the demo to a season low. 2 Broke Girls (8.4 mil/3.3) in turn dipped to a series low.

Elsewhere on Monday:

8 pm | Dancing With the Stars held steady in audience (16.34 mil) but dipped 7 percent in the demo to an all-time performance show low of 2.8. The Voice (9.94 mil/3.6) slipped 6 and 10 percent, delivering a sixth straight Monday of declines. Bones (7 mil/2.1) was down a tenth to a season-low 2.1.

9 pm | Two and a Half Men (11 mil/3.7) rebounded slightly from last week’s all-time lows with gains of 6 percent and a tenth; Mike & Molly was flat with 9.6 mil/3.1. A wonderfully wacky, but in the end heartwarming, episode of House (5.62 mil/2.0) ticked up a tenth.

10 pm | Castle was steady with 11.5 mil and a 2.2, with Five-0 in repeat mode. (Did you catch the dinosaur action figure, brown coat loan and other subtle Firefly nods?) Smash (5.96 mil/1.9) dipped a tenth in the demo to a series low.

What were you tuned into this Monday night?

1. JMoFan says:

Heartwarming? I spent how many seasons rooting for House and Cameron because they were the best suited match ever on the show and instead House is so in love with his greencard hooker? Disgusting.

• Brenna says:

Agree 100%

• tripoli says:

Get over it.

• Michelle says:

Amen.

• ebowers says:

Sorry but when the main character crashes his car into his ex girlfriends house endangering her,her sister,and other innocent bystanders I don’t really think he knows or even CARES about REAL LOVE so who CARES

• N. says:

To those still fighting over House:
      I hope you regain your self-respect, dignity and intelligence soon.
       Did you not see House interviewing hookers last night, making one stand on her head and spread her legs, the rubber doll substitutes?

Have you not seen how he’s just a pathetic, self-pitying, abusive, cruel, selfish, drugee loser?

Have you girls taken a real good look at what you’re fighting over? Seriously.

• J. Norman says:

I don’t know about the girls, but I agree.
        It seems that David Shore and the writers have given up on all semblance of rationale behavior for House and just decided to give the finger to the audience that called him out on his dumb ass story line last year.

Sure its just a TV show – and one that is winding down due to a crash in storyline which led to a crash in ratings – but c’mon. A Dr. interviewing hookers in a hospital interior while running a staff meeting on a patients progrnosis.
        I mean C’mon!!

But some fans will defend anything.

• Al says:

Aww.. So sweet. House and Dominika FOREVER!!!! Get over it Huddies! Suck it Hilson, you are all delusional,they will never have sex!

• Diego says:

This fan girl is an idiot.

I don’t know if David Shore is sabotaging his own show or this is a revenge with the Huddy shippers who badmouth his show. Whatever it is, thank god, it’s almost over. It’s so pathetic, it’s depressing.

• Rebecca says:

Exactly. I wish they’d never overhauled the cast in season 4.

2. leigh says:

Watched Castle. It was hilarious!

3. Greg says:

There has to be a better way to measure ratings, the drop over the last two years will just continue to mark new “series lows” until the method is changed.

• lexia says:

i know, right? the television industry has to find a way to make online viewing and DVR playbacks more lucrative. if they don’t start using those vehicles to gain profits, they’re screwed.

also, YAY for gg’s ratings going up! looks like dan and blair are actually helping the show’s number, if fans want to blame the pattern of viewers entirely on that (amazing) couple.

• Rebecca says:

I’m glad for that too! I was really starting to worry. I would hate for crappy ratings over the other plotlines to end the best thing that’s ever happened to the show.

• John says:

Spot on, Greg. It’s not that the viewers have stopped watching the shows(with some exceptions) its that they are viewing them through DVR and online viewing. The networks MUST improve the ratings system and fast like you said.

4. Meg says:

Matt, what do you think the chances of Hart of Dixie getting renewed are? I keep seeing mixed opinions about this. It’s such a cute little show. I’d like to see another season.

5. R says:

HIMYM was funny last night! these hiatus after hiatus must be the reason behind these drops!

6. bad kevin says:

Little disappointed from The Voice last night. Guess my new fave to win for Team Christina is Chris Mann. Hope he stays during the results show tonight.

7. Brian J says:

NBC executives have to be slapping their heads. Perhaps DVR results are better than I imagine, but seriously, can nothing they do work? Perhaps this is just natural, but “The Voice” looked like the thing to rescue the network. Now, it’s not so clear.

If I were them, I’d spend the summer using “America’s Got Talent” to pump up existing series, like “Parenthood,” and searching for at least one more reality program, if not several, to hold up the rest of the schedule. And of course, promote the fall lineup. As important as an unscripted show is, scripted programming is going to bring the network out of the basement.

8. wrstlgirl says:

The Firefly reunion on Castle was great, I couldn’t stop laughing. I’ve deleted Smash from my DVR, it’s just boring to me. I tried, I really did but no more. I’m surprised it got picked up for S2 so early. Obviously they see some potential there but I don’t.

9. Calvin says:

Hiatus is killing practically killing television. Maybe the networks need to rethink a 22-episode season stretched over a nine month period. Sweeps months need to readjusted or something because television is a decade behind new technology. Perhaps the networks should air their shows in 13 episode increments -WITHOUT breaks -then go with another series with 13 episode increments -before finishing off a season with a second 13 episode increment. And then do the same with the other show You get fresh year long programing and hopefully a better audience retention. Showing five shows -take a break -then another three shows -take a break, etc., is just not cutting it in todays new world. Get a grip networks -YOU ARE LOSING YOUR AUDIENCES DUE TO CONSTANT BREAKS IN PROGRAMING.

• John says:

Totally hear you there. If they can do it with reality television, why not do it with scripted and as I said before the Nieslsen system is OUTDATED. They need to start including DVR and online viewing on the Network’s websites. By adding those two with live viewing, the problem of declining ratings is resolved. The networks could get away with hiatuses in a pre-Writers Strike world but not today

• Danielle H says:

I was just toying around with this idea in my head. Keep 2 series in a time slot, play them throughout the TV season, and quit with the reruns.

• Brian J says:

I forgot to add this below, but during any times when original scripted programming isn’t available, run game shows or shortened reality shows or something.

• Brian J says:

I don’t know how much of the drop off (at least in live viewers; perhaps DVR audiences are steady or even increasing relative to what they were weeks ago) is due to shows taking extended breaks. It certainly wouldn’t surprise me if these shows were being affected by that, but given that Fox, which has the most erratic scheduling of any major network, isn’t seeing all of its shows affected, it’s not clear that this is the biggest problem.

Still, I’ve felt the same as you for some time now, although I wouldn’t necessarily limit the shows to only 13 episodes. Depending on the way the calendar works, we could see shows do as many as 22 episodes uninterrupted. There are a number of reasons I like this idea, but none more than the fact that I think it could (a) give us a greater variety of content and (b) give shows that are struggling a chance to grow. If (b) seems unclear, think of the fact that repeats, while not deadly, aren’t necessarily helpful, and by not having to worry about really insanely erratic scheduling, bubble shows might be more likely to be renewed.

Think of it this way: you’re programming NBC or ABC, and one your shows is well reviewed, but the ratings don’t automatically justify renewal. In fact, they might be terrible. But because shows run in a smaller stretches, there’s more room in the schedule and it’s possible that this hypothetical struggling show could be shipped off to a different time slot, possibly on a new night. More specifically, NBC could run eight different comedies on Thursday nights, and two dramas, simply by shortening the length of time a show is on the air. If something like this were to happen, I think it’s far more likely a show like “Community” is renewed.

The problem is, network economics might not justify it right now. Even the cheapest shows to produce aren’t all that cheap, I would imagine. But then again, perhaps it’s necessary to spend more money now to make it work.

At the same time, make all shows, at least at first, available online, any time, along with being available any time through On Demand-style options. Give ‘em a chance to grow in the off season, too.

Since I am all about trying to fix NBC, at least in my head, I think the network should try something like this on Thursdays. At this point, what does it have to lose?

10. Jules says:

FOX PLEASE reput [H]ouse at 8pm!
    I’m tired and Fed up to wait an hour to enjoy my only favorite addiction on Monday night…
    After May 21st & nxt fall…you can do anything/juggling the schedules of your others series everywhere and I would not care…but until then, let me me enjoy the last 5 episodes at his regular time and show respect to the best series that help you for 8 yrs to regain sort of notoriety…

• Brian J says:

The biggest problem that Fox has was that “American Idol” required everything to be shifted around in January. Now that the network has “The X Factor” in the first half of the season, it doesn’t need to make as many changes.

11. Jillian says:

Bones was awesome last night! Booth and Brennan are such a sexy couple. I just wish the ratings were better. :( I really hope they don’t get this timeslot next season.

• Ros says:

I agree, it was an awesome episode…. very Boothy! Surely, the 8 pm time slot isn’t going to help Bones’ ratings. What were they thinking?!?!?

• Jillian says:

I know. I’m so mad at Fox right now. I actually had high hopes that they would do okay. Not great, but okay, because Bones has done pretty good in the past after after being moved around, but now, I just want to scream. The episode was so good last night.

• suzi says:

Agree, excellent episode. I’ll follow it and watch it wherever it goes, but I also agree this isn’t the best timeslot.

12. Sarah says:

Gossip Girl has been going downhill all season. The plot lines are all over the place. Dixie is turning out to be surprisingly sweet. I’d much rather CW renew Dixie than GG. It has so much potential.

13. sarah says:

Castle did that well because H5-0 was a repeat. That is not good about Smash.

• Meghan says:

Castle has actually been doing just as well as it did last night for the past several weeks. Their numbers have been pretty steady between 11.5 and 11.9. It’s not just because Hawaii Five-0 was a repeat.

14. Alison says:

bones ranked No. 4 among Adults 18-49 (2.1/6) & No. 3 in Adults 18-34 (1.8/6)

15. Shaun says:

I’m worried about Smash too,something has to be done to the storyline to gain fan interest.

16. Boiler says:

What seems to be killing the scripted shows, besides I agree hiatus, is the continued viewing of “reality”. I do think people watch the crap live and DVR the scripted

17. Smash officially got demoted off my monday night DVR. Eureka came backa and I care mroe about that than I do the erractic Smash. I gave them a chance but there is nothing there that is going to make me miss the last season of Eureka and Make it or Break it. Maybe I’ll watch it on Hulu.

18. SMASH is dying slowly. This story is dragging out. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what new blood brings to the creative table. If it even makes it.

• Brian J says:

It has been renewed for next season, so it will definitely be around. And if there’s anything the show has going for it, it’s that it didn’t start off all that high. There’s definitely a chance that its relatively low place on the totem pole means not all people have written the show off just yet.

19. bklanelson10 says:

HART OF DIXIE!!!!!!!!!

20. anon anon says:

HIMYM is losing its way and people are taking notice; the ratings are reflecting frustration. Quinn is a massively unpopular character (according to lots of critical sites and polls) and everyone is fed up with the Barney/Robin “will-they-won’t-they.” And most grievously of all, they’ve lost sight of their actual characters and Ted’s journey. Essentially, they have scarified good story for shock value regarding the bride reveal. Kinda sad.

• anon anon says:

(Cue 10 different people saying “Nuh-UH! I looooove Quinn and she’s TOTES the bride and you’re obviously crazy because it’s THE QUINN SHOW!!” because anecdotal and particular evidence is absolutely indicative of overall trends.)

• Kendall says:

Writes the person who based his/her first post entirely on conjecture.

I’m no great defender of the direction of HIMYM, but they had relatively horrible ratings last spring only to see their biggest surge ever this last fall and winter. I feel HIMYM lost its way a long time ago, but their ratings have never reflected that, in my opinion.

Quinn is no pariah. Sure, she’s hated by the ‘shippers, but average fans seem to either like her or don’t care.

• Guest says:

Everyone on a comment board is speaking for themselves/on conjecture. The first poster was and now you are. How do you know that “average fans” seem to either like her or don’t care? Based on a cursory glance around message boards, people are overwhelming against Quinn. So unless people are overwhelming shippers (which would then make them “average” viewers), Quinn is disliked.

But I don’t really care. I liked Ted and Robin together, but since that’s not happening, I’m just watching the show on its current merits. Personally, I find Quinn annoying. But I don’t have a horse in the race. And I recognize my bias (I prefer Barney alone and think the writers are forcing his “love” of Quinn down our throats way too fast.) (And she’s super annoying.)

Though I do think it would be nice if Carter/Bays had at least one blonde woman who wasn’t hated or at least polarizing. Karen, Shannon, Stella, Zoey… they’ll all been pretty unpopular!

21. Nunya Biz says:

HIMYM has gotten so uninteresting that last night was the first time I’d intentionally declined to watch the episode. NOT because of the episode itself (I didn’t even catch a preview), and NOT due to anything in particular.
    I’d have to say that first and foremost, I’ve lost all interest in the Ted character and his love life (future wife or not). I find myself caring absolutely nothing for his storylines. Robbin’s love life comes in a close second to things I’ve grown incredibly bored of.
    Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve stopped watching 2 Broke Girls & New Girl as well as HIMYM. The more I watch these characters, the less interested I become of their stories.
    I stopped watching House 2 years ago. As unfortunate as it may be, I feel my timing for walking away from a show is usually pretty good.
    2 Broke Girls is in its first season and already it’s become extremely repetitive and the jokes are shamefully predictable & trite.
    New Girl seems to be about a group of people desperately trying to out-whine each other.
    HIMYM this season has felt like a “filler” attempt to continue to stall the main storyline. While a applaud the departure from Ted’s wife’s perpetual non-existence, this filler season continues to fall flat.

22. Toby says:

Love Hart of Dixie and so glad Lemon and George broke up. Last night’s was a great episode. I just wish Wade would figure out what the rest of us already know and sweep Zoe off her feet already. House was not my definition of heartwarming. Either you watched the wrong show or you need to recheck your dictionary. Smash was good if only for Ellis getting b*slapped by that red-haired guy. Dev needs to take a hike and Karen needs to wake up and take some uppers or something. She’s so boring. Castle was AWESOME! Best episode this season IMHO.

23. Brandy says:

Yay for Gg &HoD, two of my favorite cw shows(along with vd&sc).Poor TBGs, dont know why its going down in ratings the ladt few new episodes, I still love it. I also watched MioBi, may quit Smash even though I like Katherine Mcphee.

24. Britta Unfiltered says:

Wonderfully wacky? House lost me last night when they said the sex doll had a tumor after giving it a pelvic. Gross. Ridiculous. Awful. Totally going to end up a segment on The Soup, 100% guarantee. It was also a much better written and heartfelt story when it was called Lars and the Real Girl.

25. Mari says:

Castle was hilarious last night!

26. Jillian says:

Bones adjusted up to a 2.2!! Yay! Go Bones!!

27. Kate says:

Last night Bones was really…… great. Rating of shows are just playing numbers.

28. Vanny says:

I have faithfully watched HIMYM since it’s beginning, but lately haven’t found myself laughing at all, or even that interested. I feel like I am watching out of habit, which is not a good thing. I too don’t really feel like watching it much further, so I hope that improve the story fast, as it has become quite dull. Even NPH’s “wait for it” has become tired and dry.

29. Anne Schuch says:

Don’t know about any one else, but bones was great