KaDee Strickland Sounds Off on Private Practice's Tuesday Move and Teases 'A Helluva Finale!'

Get More: Uncategorized

For months, Private Practice fans have been fretting: What does the show’s move to Tuesdays at 10 mean for its chances of renewal?

What it means, I have been repeatedly saying, is… you now need to watch the show Tuesdays at 10. “That’s exactly right,” says cast member KaDee Strickland, echoing my stance.

Speaking with TVLine about the ABC drama’s Tuesday move (kicking off tonight), Strickland notes a bit of a double standard being expressed by those who see the arrival of Shonda Rhimes’ Scandal as a bad omen for her Grey’s Anatomy spin-off.

“It’s so funny to me, because we don’t ask that question about David Kelley, or J.J. Abrams, or other great show runners that have multiple things going on. So I don’t think we should ask that of Shonda,” opines the actress. “I’m not one to sit around and look for the ‘worst case scenario.’ We should sort of anticipate good news.”

If only, Strickland says, because Private Practice has quite a finale scheduled for May 15. “Because of the way the show ends this season, it feels to me that a renewal would best serve us,” she teases with a slightly wicked laugh. “It’s a helluva ending.”

I ran by Strickland a flurry of finale rumors I’ve been hearing, including that one character will be shot, while another lands in jail. “Some of that is rumor, honey, unless they’ve made some big script changes that I don’t know about!” she responded. “Shonda likes to reinvent her scripts often, and I think some of that stuff is based on ‘maybe’ ideas, but not all of them have come to fruition. And some of them have.”

In addition to what the finale has in store for Charlotte and Cooper (more on that in a moment,) Strickland is pulling for Season 6 in part “to see what Shonda does with Addison, because, boy, does she leave things in an interesting place for that character. It’s fascinating, I can tell you that.”

Rewinding a bit, tonight’s spring premiere finds Charlotte and Cooper doing their best to brace an in-denial Mason for his mother’s actual death, following Erica’s weeks of declining health. “One of the most interesting parts of this storyline for me, personally, is thinking about the way we all process death – and how do you do that when you’re a little boy?” says Strickland. “How do you do it when your mom has already lived through a miraculous surgery? How do you engage that child with reality?”

To that end, Charlotte will spend time with ailing Erica while Cooper tends to the son he never knew he had but now has embraced. “How we deal with both of those worlds and help each of them accept certain realities… is kind of a sticky situation,” Strickland reveals. “But it feels to me very real, like something that people watching the show will understand. That’s gut-wrenching for me as the actor to perform, knowing that so many people have been through a similar situation.”

Inevitably, Charlotte and Cooper will be left to parent Mason, and that turn of events – certainly something no one saw coming heading into this season, let alone a year ago – is another reason why Strickland is rooting for renewal.

“I would love to see where Shonda takes us after what’s she’s established between Charlotte and Cooper in Season 5,” she says. “I’d love to see what that looks like.”

Comments (32)

• Looking forward…hopefully the show gets renewed again.

Comment by Vannesa – April 17, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it doesn’t get renewed, we should start an internet movement to send Addison back to Seattle

Comment by Lex – April 17, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, yeah!!! Please, give us Addison back!!!!

Comment by albtrex – April 17, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it’s in Kate Walsh’s contract that if PP fails she goes back to Grey’s. But it could have only been for a certain no. of years, it might have lapsed by now. But I totally agree. As long as she’s Grey’s Addison, not annoying PP Addison.

Comment by Lauren – April 17, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Same here! I miss the old Adisson! The funny one!

Comment by L – April 17, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for tonight and the remainder of the season. I hope it gets renewed!

Comment by Joan – April 17, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will be tuning in tonight for sure! BTW, always enjoy KaDee interviews. More please!

Comment by Kelli – April 17, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • scandall is not doing any better than PP so i think i’ll be back…not sure the day…

Comment by Lia (@liarcaj) – April 17, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When we will you know if it’s getting renewed or not ?

Comment by Iris Derzelle – April 17, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cancel it! The sooner the better. This piece of crap is nothing more than ‘let’s see how many different men are needed to fill Addison’s needs’. All I hear from my wife is Addison slept with so and so tonight.

Comment by TJ – April 17, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • tell your wife to stop speaking to you. It would be best that way.

Comment by tbacogiannis@yahoo.ca – April 17, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ha! That’s funny.

Comment by lady.lightning – April 17, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait….nobody saw Cooper and Charlotte would end up having to parent Mason? Please….I feel like everybody realized that the second Erica and Mason showed up.

I hope it gets renewed. I hate about half the characters on it, 3/4 at some points, yet I keep watching and keep wanting to know happens next.

Comment by Ginny – April 17, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I swear to god if PP doesn’t get renewed, I’ll go to ABC and kick asses

Comment by Shenae – April 17, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At the beginning of this season, I could see the show end this year. But now 5 episodes from the end, I don’t want it to end, season 5 has been great so far

Comment by Daisy – April 17, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for tonight.I just started watching PP last season, so I hope it gets renewed. I am really enjoying it.

Comment by Lisa M. – April 17, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Private Practice” still holds a memorable place for one of the most unforgettable cliffhangers EVER, when Violet (Amy Brenneman) was viciously attacked by her psychotic patient Katie (Amanda Foreman).

Comment by Danny – April 17, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Private Practice gets renewed. It’s a great show.

Comment by Trisha Jondle – April 17, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love what this show has evolved into. The continued focus on going in-depth on characters situations, over the span of half-to-a-full season, is great to see. So much improvement since the talking elevator! Plus, KaDee Strickland is one of the show’s acting VIP’s. And in interviews she comes off as very graceful, very thankful, very classy.

Comment by echuckler – April 17, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She earned an emmy nomination for when she was portraying Charlotte after being raped. It’s a crime she wasn’t nominated.

Comment by Cathy – April 17, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • she wasn’t nominated and truthfully she was robbed of a nomination for the rape storyline.

Comment by tom – April 17, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they write off Mason. I just can’t stand the little guy. I also think he’s not healthy for Charlotte.

Comment by The Buskalo Kid – April 17, 2012 06:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He steals their sexy!!

Comment by Shaun – April 17, 2012 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kaydee is one of the best things about PP besides Kate Walsh. I really hope it’s renewed but if not, Charlotte, Cooper and Addison just need to relocate to Seattle!

Comment by Linderella – April 17, 2012 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the show will continue………..it has been GREAT this year!!!! I stopped watching for a couple of seasons and started back watching this year. I cannot get enough!!!!

Comment by Cher – April 18, 2012 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now it is known, Private Practice was renewed by ABC for 13 episodes, with Tim Daly’s chaaracter elminated for budget cuts made to the show’s budget (in jail at the end of the season – will not get out). Also, Kate Walsh announced this her last season on the show, releasing Shonda Rhines from her contract (to move her back to Grey’s if this was canceled). A convoluted deal to be sure, but one more semi-normal season of Private Practice is the result.

Comment by Sam – June 19, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Char!

Comment by N – June 25, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • still cant belive Kate’s leaving after next season

Comment by L – July 24, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post