KaDee Strickland Sounds Off on Private Practice's Tuesday Move and Teases 'A Helluva Finale!'

For months, Private Practice fans have been fretting: What does the show’s move to Tuesdays at 10 mean for its chances of renewal?

What it means, I have been repeatedly saying, is… you now need to watch the show Tuesdays at 10. “That’s exactly right,” says cast member KaDee Strickland, echoing my stance.

Speaking with TVLine about the ABC drama’s Tuesday move (kicking off tonight), Strickland notes a bit of a double standard being expressed by those who see the arrival of Shonda Rhimes’ Scandal as a bad omen for her Grey’s Anatomy spin-off.

“It’s so funny to me, because we don’t ask that question about David Kelley, or J.J. Abrams, or other great show runners that have multiple things going on. So I don’t think we should ask that of Shonda,” opines the actress. “I’m not one to sit around and look for the ‘worst case scenario.’ We should sort of anticipate good news.”

If only, Strickland says, because Private Practice has quite a finale scheduled for May 15. “Because of the way the show ends this season, it feels to me that a renewal would best serve us,” she teases with a slightly wicked laugh. “It’s a helluva ending.”

I ran by Strickland a flurry of finale rumors I’ve been hearing, including that one character will be shot, while another lands in jail. “Some of that is rumor, honey, unless they’ve made some big script changes that I don’t know about!” she responded. “Shonda likes to reinvent her scripts often, and I think some of that stuff is based on ‘maybe’ ideas, but not all of them have come to fruition. And some of them have.”

In addition to what the finale has in store for Charlotte and Cooper (more on that in a moment,) Strickland is pulling for Season 6 in part “to see what Shonda does with Addison, because, boy, does she leave things in an interesting place for that character. It’s fascinating, I can tell you that.”

Rewinding a bit, tonight’s spring premiere finds Charlotte and Cooper doing their best to brace an in-denial Mason for his mother’s actual death, following Erica’s weeks of declining health. “One of the most interesting parts of this storyline for me, personally, is thinking about the way we all process death – and how do you do that when you’re a little boy?” says Strickland. “How do you do it when your mom has already lived through a miraculous surgery? How do you engage that child with reality?”

To that end, Charlotte will spend time with ailing Erica while Cooper tends to the son he never knew he had but now has embraced. “How we deal with both of those worlds and help each of them accept certain realities… is kind of a sticky situation,” Strickland reveals. “But it feels to me very real, like something that people watching the show will understand. That’s gut-wrenching for me as the actor to perform, knowing that so many people have been through a similar situation.”

Inevitably, Charlotte and Cooper will be left to parent Mason, and that turn of events – certainly something no one saw coming heading into this season, let alone a year ago – is another reason why Strickland is rooting for renewal.

“I would love to see where Shonda takes us after what’s she’s established between Charlotte and Cooper in Season 5,” she says. “I’d love to see what that looks like.”

1. Vannesa says:

Looking forward…hopefully the show gets renewed again.

2. Lex says:

If it doesn’t get renewed, we should start an internet movement to send Addison back to Seattle

• albtrex says:

Oh, yeah!!! Please, give us Addison back!!!!

• Lauren says:

I think it’s in Kate Walsh’s contract that if PP fails she goes back to Grey’s. But it could have only been for a certain no. of years, it might have lapsed by now. But I totally agree. As long as she’s Grey’s Addison, not annoying PP Addison.

3. Joan says:

Can’t wait for tonight and the remainder of the season. I hope it gets renewed!

4. Kelli says:

Will be tuning in tonight for sure! BTW, always enjoy KaDee interviews. More please!

5. scandall is not doing any better than PP so i think i’ll be back…not sure the day…

6. When we will you know if it’s getting renewed or not ?

7. TJ says:

Cancel it! The sooner the better. This piece of crap is nothing more than ‘let’s see how many different men are needed to fill Addison’s needs’. All I hear from my wife is Addison slept with so and so tonight.

8. Ginny says:

Wait….nobody saw Cooper and Charlotte would end up having to parent Mason? Please….I feel like everybody realized that the second Erica and Mason showed up.

I hope it gets renewed. I hate about half the characters on it, 3/4 at some points, yet I keep watching and keep wanting to know happens next.

9. Shenae says:

I swear to god if PP doesn’t get renewed, I’ll go to ABC and kick asses

10. Daisy says:

At the beginning of this season, I could see the show end this year. But now 5 episodes from the end, I don’t want it to end, season 5 has been great so far

11. Lisa M. says:

Can’t wait for tonight.I just started watching PP last season, so I hope it gets renewed. I am really enjoying it.

12. Danny says:

“Private Practice” still holds a memorable place for one of the most unforgettable cliffhangers EVER, when Violet (Amy Brenneman) was viciously attacked by her psychotic patient Katie (Amanda Foreman).

13. Trisha Jondle says:

I hope Private Practice gets renewed. It’s a great show.

14. echuckler says:

I love what this show has evolved into. The continued focus on going in-depth on characters situations, over the span of half-to-a-full season, is great to see. So much improvement since the talking elevator! Plus, KaDee Strickland is one of the show’s acting VIP’s. And in interviews she comes off as very graceful, very thankful, very classy.

15. I hope they write off Mason. I just can’t stand the little guy. I also think he’s not healthy for Charlotte.

16. Linderella says:

Kaydee is one of the best things about PP besides Kate Walsh. I really hope it’s renewed but if not, Charlotte, Cooper and Addison just need to relocate to Seattle!

17. Cher says:

I hope the show will continue………..it has been GREAT this year!!!! I stopped watching for a couple of seasons and started back watching this year. I cannot get enough!!!!

18. Sam says:

Now it is known, Private Practice was renewed by ABC for 13 episodes, with Tim Daly’s chaaracter elminated for budget cuts made to the show’s budget (in jail at the end of the season – will not get out). Also, Kate Walsh announced this her last season on the show, releasing Shonda Rhines from her contract (to move her back to Grey’s if this was canceled). A convoluted deal to be sure, but one more semi-normal season of Private Practice is the result.

19. N says:

I love Char!

20. L says:

still cant belive Kate’s leaving after next season