Gossip Girl Surprise: Meet Chuck's Mom

Gossip Girl Ed WestwickWARNING: If you have yet to watch Monday’s Gossip Girl, avert your eyes now. Everyone else, you may proceed….

Lola’s scheme to unmask Serena as Gossip Girl in last night’s episode inadvertently led to another major reveal: Diana Payne (guest star Elizabeth Hurley) is Chuck’s mother!

Season Finale Spoilers: Scoop on 52 Big Finishes (Including Gossip Girl)

“You have been in New York for months, inviting me to parties, hiring my friends, hanging out in my apartment in your underwear” — hello, awkward! — “banging my best friend,” Chuck yelled at her. “Did it not occur to you to mention this? That you were my mother?”

The big bombshell was dropped during Blair and Dan’s coming out party and was broadcast live to the infamous blogger’s website, which only made the humiliation worse. Diana tried to smooth things over by explaining her decision to stay mum to Chuck: She was young, easily swept away by Bart Bass’ charm, yet ill-equipped to raise a child. Bart’s wife Elizabeth, on the other hands, couldn’t have kids. Problem solved! Unfortunately, Elizabeth couldn’t bear raising a son who wasn’t her own and ran off.

“You know where to find me,” Diana told Chuck, dropping the ball in his court.

And there’s even more to the story. “We both know that’s not the secret I was talking about,” Gossip Girl texted to Diana. Meanwhile, judging from the promo for next week’s episode, her new title as Chuck’s mom isn’t going to stop Diana from hitting on his buddie Nate. Boys, may we suggest some new house ground rules to avoid any embarrassing run-ins?

So what else do you think Diana is hiding, Gossip Girl fans? And were you sad to see Nate and Lola’s brief romance become a casualty of the reveal?

1. Avi says:

Ah, predictable. Who didn’t see this coming like months ago? GG is over the hill.

• dude says:

Seriously. I remember people predicting this in October. Did anyone have a doubt that Diana was Chuck’s mother? The fact that it was dropped as a supposed bombshell just proves how lame Gossip Girl has gotten this year. I am intrigued by this “bigger” secret but it will probably be lame and anticlimactic.

• Dan says:

I didn’t. I don’t obsess about the Show After i Finish watching it so i don’t have to think about Spoilers or what ifs. Don’t feel like spoiling the episodes… And last Nights reveal was Awesome and so Wörth the wait.

2. E says:

I was hoping we would see Blair’s reaction to the news. Dan and Blair are more cute than hot therefore I was crossing my fingers for her to run to Chuck’s side.

3. Kelly says:

Gossip Girl really doesn’t have that many ‘shockers’ to brag about. Who was actually shocked by this?!! If you have half a brain you would have figured this out months ago.

4. Laura says:

I saw thins coming from a mile away ! but still intrigued by the secret Diane is sharing with Jack !
    ps: Ed’s acting was off the charts ! He was amazing last night

5. Kira says:

Serena’s storyling made no sense!!!! First, Serena has to be the most inept GG EVER!!!!! A 2 year old could have figured out it was her. Then she crashes Dairs salon party looking like a pissed off ex. Under normal circumstances I would understand but when you give your blessing you give up the right to be bitchy about it. If she knew it would be this big an issue, which she obviously did, she should have never said she was ok with it. Then she leaves her phone right where Lola can get it. REALLY!?!?! At the end of the episode I was hoping we’d see that Diana and Serena planned on this all happening. Diana wants to take down GG so I could see her setting this up so she controls how the secret was revealed. But it doesn’t explain why Serena would hurt Chuck like that? I would love for the writers to have something great in store for us but I’m not holding my breath.

6. Kristina says:

I think most people saw this coming. I do, however, hope Lola is gone for good.

• W says:

totally agreed. missed the fake one actually. wanna see a showdown between Ivy and Lilly, who i find utterly annoying with her greed and entitlement.

• Haley says:

Agree. I liked Ivy better. Ivy was sweet and earnest. Lola was just kind of upset all the time, like everything anybody did was them going out of their way to upset her.

• Marie says:

Lola has to come back for her own paternity reveal. But I doubt the actress is returning if the show gets another season.

7. dave says:

seriously i am only watching because i started not because of interest. Serena looks 40 lately and has no real story and hopefully Lola left for good (but i doubt it). very predictable. i just thought it was funny when Serena was on phone in the hospital and Diana’s secretary sounded like Georgina lol

8. april-ann says:

I’m watching GG now only because of Dan and Blair. There really is no other reason to watch right now. I love Serena but hate what they’ve done to her this season. I never liked Diana and am disappointed that she’s Chuck’s mother, and agree that it was no surprise for fans anyway. But I’m more disappointed that the salon party was turned into cheap UES tabloid fodder (I actually wanted it to go as planned, silly me!), but loved LOVED the way Dan and Blair handled the “difference in their worlds” at the end. I hope we never see either Charlie again, or whatever they are called now, Ivy or Lola or WhoCares.

9. DJ Doena says:

I haven’t watched the episode yet and I honestly did not see this coming. But to be fair, I never cared nor thought about it either.

But just out of curiosity to those who “saw it coming”: What exactly were the hints that she is his mother? Or is it simply “new middle-aged woman character on the show has to be biologically related to someone already there?”.

• Avi says:

For me it was that Gossip Girl is so overly predicatable that when we found out she was keeping a secret with Jack it was so obvious that she was Chuck’s mother. What else would they be conspiring about? If she wasn’t the mother then she had to have some kind of connection Chuck or Blair because they are the only two who have ever really interacted with Jack. That being said, Chuck should cut his losses and just accept that Lily is his mother now.

• Farrah says:

Last year she had Ivy steal Bart’s private detective files and then took her a young photo of herself out and burned it. I’ve been waiting since then for this to drop lol.

10. ggny says:

predictable…also we all know the big secret is Bart still being alive

11. Michelle says:

What have these writers and producers done to Gossip Girl?! In true GG style, Blair should have been involved with her friends. She should have ran to Chuck’s side, at least as friends, and help him through this tough time. But nope she’s clueless. When is Blair EVER clueless to what’s going on in the upper east side? And Blair with Dan is ridiculous! There’s a reason he’s called lonely boy, he’s better off alone! I hope that when the series finale comes, most likely next year, that this show ends in true Gossip Girl fashion-Blair with Chuck and Serena with Nate.

• Emily says:

Yeah, it sucks that the show is purposely isolating Blair from Chuck, Serena and Nate. And the “secret” was no secret at all. Not to mention it seems obvious Bart’s still alive and this whole mother thing is probably a lie, anyway. I need GG to hurry up and wrap up its story lines and friendships/relationships so we can all move on.

• Kristen says:

The sooner Nate and Serena get back together the happier I will be. It was torture watching Nate force chemistry with Lola. Bleh. Now we have Diana back again. Seriously, Nate and Serena are great together. Chuck and Blair are great together. I’m not 100% opposed to Dan and Blair, but the two relationships are SO different, that it’s hard for me not to like things about both of them. Serena and Dan will never work, and after all that we’ve seen with Dan choosing Blair over her, there’s no way Dan and Serena can go back. Not to mention, I don’t think many people actually want them together. So, Nate and Serena and Chuck and Blair please? :)

• kaity says:

HA. “true Gossip Girl fashion” my foot. I hope this show ends with no one ending up with each other – that would be true Gossip Girl fashion. even if this show has nothing to do with the book series other than its name.

• Michelle says:

Wow really? Have you read a single GG book? Yes, the show is very different but its success came from its ethusiastic readers. Even in the very last novel going through their college years, the relationships between these lifelong friends is the driving storyline. Thank you Emily and Kristen! You are both REAL Gossip Girl fans.

12. peekie says:

I saw this coming months ago. cant wait to see if jack is chucks dad. the only reason i still love this show is because of dan and blair.

13. chuck2blair says:

@april-ann – it’s obvious just from your comments that you’re not interested in GG at all, just dair. So go watch your couple, but please have enough dignity and class to stop insulting other shippers. It’s immature and uncalled for. Thanks.

• april-ann says:

I’m sorry if that is the way I came across. I didn’t mean to be insulting, and was actually going to add acknowledgment of Chair fans and then decided against it, because I thought that might be insulting! Oh well, live and learn.

• tripoli says:

Your comment was fine.

• april-ann says:

Thank you, tripoli. I reread my comment again and I honestly don’t see where I was insulting to other shippers, immature and uncalled for in giving my own opinion of the show. I know I did not deserve to be personally attacked. I do like Dan and Blair together but respect the fact that others want Blair with Chuck.

14. O'Brien says:

We all knew this was happening, but what I thought was awesome was Ed Westwick’s performance. The most earned moments with Chuck are when he drops the cool, untouchable “I’m Chuck Bass” attitude, and you see that under it is a scared, lonely kid. That’s really why so many people like seeing him with Blair, because he’s both Billionaire Chuck Bass with her, and also just Chuck, who just wants someone to love him. He walked into that party, not knowing exactly what it was about (I don’t think Nate told him is was Dan and Blair’s coming out), and just moved past Blair, not wanting to start anything, sitting mostly quietly. Then, when he lost it on Diana, you could see that scared kid breaking through. Way to knock it out of the park, Ed.

• Dash says:

I haven’t been watching Gossip Girl lately because the whole Dan/Blair storyline is just too gross to me but reading your comment about Chuck, my heart warmed a bit and I thought, “Yes this is what makes Chuck Bass a compelling character.” Maybe I’ll have to tune back in next week. If only for Chuck Bass.

15. joan says:

i am still watching for Dan and Blair, two of them together was least expected but its worth it, i am tired with Chucks and Blair’s drama every-time, they love each other and they can not be together that’s it. Diana as chucks mom everybody had a clue to that.