Ratings: Mini Titanic Numbers Sink GCB

The poorly sampled conclusion of ABC’s two-night Titanic miniseries dragged GCB down under with it on Sunday night, pulling the freshman sudser to series lows.

Titanic‘s finale drew 4.17 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating — on par with Saturday night’s three-hour launch — putting it in last place behind even Fox cartoons. Leading out of that, GCB did 4.5 mil and a 1.5, down 14 and 21 percent week-to-week.

Elsewhere on Sunday:

* The Amazing Race (9.2 mil/2.5), The Good Wife (10 mil/1.8) and Celebrity Apprentice (6.6 mil/2/1) were all flat.

* NBC bubble show Harry’s Law (8.1 mil/0.9) dipped 10 percent in the demo.

* The Simpsons (4.9 mil/2.2) “Lost” 8 percent, while Bob’s Burgers (3.8 mil/1.8) and Cleveland Show (4.3 mil/2.0) were on the upside.

* CBS’ NYC 22 debuted to 8.9 million viewers and a 1.5 rating, improving on the CSI: Miami finale’s total audience but down 12 percent in the demo. The rookie cop drama led the hour in audience, but trailed far behind the second hour of Celeb Apprentice in the demo.

What were you tuned into this Sunday night?

1. What is everyone’s obsession with the Titanic, I mean seriously? I’m sick of hearing about it. I happily enjoyed another great episode of GCB last night. Such a fun little show!

• jaynecobb2 says:

this year was the 100th anniversary

• Russ says:

Oh I guess that why they re-released it in 3D, I thought James Cameron was being greedy and wanted more money.

• Sue says:

It’s a tragedy that many are still fascinated by and it was the 100th anniversary pretty significant

• Renee says:

I don’t get it either. Yeah it was a tragedy, but there have been many of those. Don’t get the obsession with this one.

• Drew says:

It’s a real life fairy tale… in that it’s a romantic story (not to be confused with a love story) with a horrible twist that results in a lesson to know and share for generations to come. It’s a story about glamor and class, leading to arrogance and sloppiness, resulting in horrible, painful death.

Nothing is unsinkable. And no matter what their station in life, everyone was flopping around the freezing cold water just the same. On the boat, they might have been separated by class, but that didn’t stop them from dying next to each other.

It’s a story that could have been successful as a fiction novel, but it actually happened. There are many other disasters and deaths that are horrible stories, which we’ll all agree on. But the Titanic was an entire story, complete with a moral at its center.

• smidnite says:

For me, 1958’s “A Night To Remember” is the best of all Titanic movies; as it was allegedly derived from survivor accounts.

• Amanda says:

If you’re sick of hearing about Titanic, try living in Belfast! We’ve had a new museum open, an MTV Titanic Sounds concert, there’s a “Titanic Lockdown” music festival happening, all local businesses have Titanic themed food/ drinks/ menus, companies are using it in ad comapigns. I will scream if I hear the word again. I totall agree about GCB as well, it’s so good!

2. bad kevin says:

Hope ABC renews GCB for another season. This series needs more Kristin Chenoweth.

• Jimmy says:

Actually, less of Chenoweth’s over-the-top acting would be an improvement along with better plot development.

• ChrisGa says:

I agree; ABC is my favorite network right now– I watch Revenge, Body of Proof, Scandal plus all the Wednesday sitcoms and Cougar Town. And GCB is probably one of my two or three fave new shows of this season, despite the late start. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that ABC see long-term potential and renews it(and BOP and Scandal as well).

3. Magically Suspicious says:

This is a shame because this episode of GCB literally had me snorting. Carlene’s ‘flight’ and her show-must-go-on recovery were hysterical. I love this show.

• R says:

AGREE!! and the Javalena ceremony was hilarious too! Hoping ABC doesn’t cancel GCB!

• Lola says:

I actually think it’s bad news/good news. Bad news — demo fell. Good news? It improved (significantly!) on it’s lead-in. That means there’s an audience tuning in simply for the show itself, and a fairly significant audience demo at that. So, ABC could reason with a decent lead-in next season, the show might actually grow in ratings. Or, you know… I’m the Queen of delusion-ville.

• Russ says:

Me too the Carlene/Cricket audition was hilarious this was the first episode i actually was good instead of ok.

4. Shaun says:

NYC 22 wasn’t bad but it didn’t make sense.Who puts rookies on their own their first day?Rookie Blue does this way better(probly because it’s shot in Canada :p).

5. Balaji K says:

IMO, Rookie Blue is way better than NYC 22.

6. Drew says:

So, we’re blaming Titanic for GCB’s numbers continuing to fall? Couldn’t it just be that the joke is old, the characters are irritating, and the stories are tired and without a clever spin to make them their own? The writers could make a lot of Dallas comedy, but they don’t seem to know anything about Dallas or the people who live there. The “Gone With the Wind” themed wedding was the nail in that coffin. Entirely different region with an entirely different culture. It’s like Supernatural doing an episode about Klingons.

• Jake says:

I disagree. It’s different than the same b/s reality crap that is forced down our throats practically every night. Pretty much why I watch on demand etc.

• Drew says:

I will agree that reality shows are the killer of human souls. They’re evil and must be stopped. That said, as a fan of scripted shows, I also prefer shows to be well scripted. We will never win this war against reality programming if we settle for low quality work from writers.

• Danielle H says:

The numbers have actually been steady for weeks now. And Gone with the Wind is pretty synonemous of the whole south, which most people who are watching this show who don’t live in Texas will consider it as part of the south. Maybe you just shouldn’t tune in if it offends?

• Drew says:

The problem is, if you’re going to write a story that focuses on making jokes about Dallas, you should know the subject of your joke. Bunching Dallas with Atlanta is insane. I know both cities and saying “south is south” is like having a show about heart surgeons performing Lasik on people. Nobody who has ever been to Texas would consider Gone with the Wind synonymous with Dallas. Texas women don’t swoon. Texas women don’t say “fiddle-dee-dee.”

It’s sloppy writing. The joke is about Dallas culture. The writers don’t know Dallas… obviously there is a problem there.

Ratings:
        Pilot- 7.56 million viewers.
        Episode 4- 6.33
        Episode 7- 5.22
        Episode 8- 4.48 (not final)

The only thing steady about their ratings is their decline.

• Sarah says:

The couple of times that I have seen the reality show that is about Dallas women, forgive me I am blanking on the name right now, the women have seemed very similar to what you see on this show. It was a theme from an event in the show that had been recreated 17 times…I am pretty sure they had run through a lot of themes before they got to “Gone with the Wind”
          As a person from the South, I don’t like it when shows make fun of culture like “Hart of Dixie” but honestly I haven’t seen anything that I could say was far off from reality TV shows that are currently showing about rich women in Dallas…in fact isn’t the show “Rich in Dallas” The last show I saw was about how someone’s goddaughter was sleeping with her son…kind of reminds me of the teens on this show.

• Drew says:

I’ve never seen the reality shows based in Texas, but I do know that Jersey Shore is not an accurate portrayal of people from New Jersey… in fact, I’m not sure any of those people are actually from New Jersey.

I’m originally from New Jersey and spent summers on the shore, where my grandparents lived. Pretty much everyone I’ve seen from New Jersey cringes at the name “Snookie” and tries to distance that show from the real world as much as possible.

• Beth Ann says:

No sense is arguing with Drew, he seems to know everything about how people act in various cities and that the writing on GCB isn’t clever or funny and that the stories are tired, blah blah blah. Why are you even watching it then? Such a troll. Lots of people find this show funny because it is over-the-top, myself included. So perhaps instead of criticizing GCB you should perhaps wow the television-viewing world with your non-sloppy writing? You’re a joke – scram!

• Drew says:

Actually, no… New Jersey, Dallas and Atlanta are just three places that I know something about. It’s a coincidence really.

One of the lamer responses that I always get in TV show discussions is “why do you watch?” I watch because television in general is an interest of mine, both for fun and business reasons. I don’t just watch shows that I think are good, just as I imagine many of the writers for TV Line don’t just watch or write about shows they love. When it’s more than a way to pass the time, there’s more to it than simple entertainment. Just like a figure skater watching the Olympics will be watching for more than the pretty spins that most viewers tune in to see. They will be watching for form, style, etc. You watch for the pretty pictures on the screen. I watch to check out the writing, the acting, the production value, and so on. For me, discussing the writing is part of the fun of watching TV. Good shows are fun to watch, but both good and bad shows are educational.

If you don’t like my posts, why did you respond? Just don’t read them.

(as a side note… you would probably chuckle if you knew why I started watching GCB. But I’m not going there because it’s not relevant)

7. jasie says:

How was Harry’s Law? Also, I hope The Killing did good in its thrift week.

8. Heather says:

just cancel nyc 22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the reason nyc 22 had low ratings, because we wanted csi miami back!

9. Tee says:

NYC 22 didn’t look interesting enough to watch so I didn’t vote in the poll but yeoch, doesn’t sound good.

10. Geo says:

ABC had no idea how to market their Titanic mini-series; it’s odd that they even bought it in the first place. I mean, you premiere a chunk of three hours of something on a Saturday,the least watched night of the week , then throw on a one hour conclusion the next night and expect it to have any ratings at all? And the combination of Once Upon a Time and Titanic and GCB is like the most random combination I could ever imagine. So they were expecting viewers to be like “Oh, we just got through watching a fairy tale, now let’s watch1500 people drown, and then watch Kristin Chenowith doing pratfalls.” Who’s running that network? Are they just throwing darts at a wall to make up their schedule?

If you were going to schedule a Titanic “event” to coincide with the 100th anniversary, then run a three hour mini-series on Sunday and advertise the heck out of it. I think they felt that since the Titanic technically struck the ice berg one day and then sank in the early hours of the next, that they had to be sticklers and run the mini-series over both those actual days. But who besides the biggest Titanic history geeks is gonna make a big deal of that? The draw of the mini-series was that it was written by Julian Fellowes, the creator and writer of “Downton Abbey.” ABC was obviously not the channel to promote such a show. Maybe PBS’ “Masterpiece” should have run it as Fellowes’ latest work, since they managed to get Downton some of the highest ratings in the network’s history.

• cjeffery7 says:

i agree that PBS would have been a better place to air Titanic. Air it as either two 2 hour installments, or for four days leading up to the anniversary.

• ES says:

I agree! I actually thought it was a rerun on Saturday and I missed the originally airing because I was thinking “Who would put this on a Saturday night?” And I only happened to come across it on Saturday because I was sick. And not in the mood to watch people drown.
      That was the oddest way to present something that could’ve been good. ABC should’ve just passed.

11. cjeffery7 says:

i think we’re all a little Titanic weary. at least i know i am. we all know how it ends. some rich people survive and a bunch of poor people die. there’s nothing fun about watching characters that you know have a 75% chance of dying tragically.

12. Michelle says:

It doesn’t help that the miniseries was godawful. I didn’t even care who lived and who died!

13. L says:

TGW was AMAZING! It’s the first time I see Matthew Perry and I don’t think Chandler Bing! And all the Jackie/Alicia drama! Can’t wait for the next episode!

14. Michael says:

Once again, GCB was hilarious. And in 2 weeks, the ratings will rise to around a 2.0 again, since it is not left with a horrible lead-in. There’s an audience watching it as you can see from the ratings. I still suggest to ABC to move the show to Wednesday night’s at 10/9 p.m. after the Wednesday comedies. Why go from comedy to drama with Revenge…move Revenge to Sunday. It’ll do just fine. DON’T Cancel GCB.

• ChrisGa says:

That’s actually not a bad idea. At this point anything to get it a second season; I plan on following it no matter what time slot it may end up in.

15. sally says:

GCB is a horrible show it has no redeeming qualities. Its a bad low class propaganda version of desperate housewives. The show is based on the book Good Christian Bitche and the walt disney company were even going to call it by its name but decided not to because of their other show with the word Bitch in it. GCB has bad dialogue and a pathetic story-line and I think the acting is very sad as well. The show was made to attack Christians, their were have been multiple scenes mocking the church,jesus Christ,holy spirit and off-course showing christian men and women as evil hypocrite. And just think would hollywood make show a called good jew bitches or good muslim bitches or even good atheist bitches the answer is not a chance. The executive produce is homosexual jew and many of the writers and producers are also jewish so I guess its no surprise disney would make this show. Even the last and current Ceo of disney have both been Jewish And I think we can make a educated guess that Jews are not the biggest fans of Christians or Christianity. And considering that the CEO has the final say we can assume that CEO Robert Iger allowed and promoted this show due to his antichristian religious views. But then again I doubt any of the people on this page would be smart enough or faithful enough to realize that their watching a show Jesus Christ would not approve off. As I have said before it seems nowadays for a lot of Americans Entertainment and Pleasure comes before God. And to other non-christians how would you feel if you had an entire show that was based on mocking your believes?

16. Usually I do not learn post on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you, quite nice post.

17. sem seo says:

Excellent happy synthetic eye for the purpose of fine detail and can foresee difficulties before these people take place.