TVLine Items: The Latest Office Overhaul Buzz, Flintstones Reboot Is Delayed and More!

Is The Office 2.0 on the way… again?

Having already undergone a makeover at the start of this season (following the departure of front man Steve Carell), the NBC comedy is reportedly considering yet another reboot should it receive a Season 9 pickup (the likelihood of which we’re currently calling “a sure thing“).

Details surrounding the purposed change are scarce, but our sister site Deadline is reporting that Office executive producer Greg Daniels is pitching a revamped series that would feature new and a few returning characters.

In extremely related Office news, talks to have John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer, B.J. Novak and Ed Helms return for another season have reportedly hit a lull, so their involvement in any possible reboot is up in the air.

The Office Scoop: James Spader Eyes Spring Exit

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Seth MacFarlane’s Flintstones reboot — which was given a straight-to-series order last May — has been put on hold due to the prolific showrunner’s overcrowded schedule (see Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show), Deadline reports. The project was originally slated to launch in 2013.

• Jesse Eisenberg is set to reunite with Aaron Sorkin in the Social Network scribe’s new HBO drama, The Newsroom. Per EW.com, the Oscar nominee will voice a key newsmaker in the series’ first episode, airing June 24.

• Is a Californication spinoff in the works? As reported by EW.com, the upcoming sixth season of the Showtime series will introduce a new character with an eye on possibly creating an offshoot around her. The newbie, Faith, is described as a twentysomething “professional groupie,” and will appear in nine Season 6 episodes.

• Everwood alum Treat Williams will play an ex-hockey player turned team owner in a Season 5 episode of Leverage, per TVGuide.com.

Office Scoop: Kelly Kapoor’s New Boy Toy Is…

• A&E has ordered a third season of Storage Wars, and 26-episode sophomore runs of Storage Wars: Texas and Shipping Wars, Deadline reports. All three are set to launch this summer.

• CBS has given a green light to Dogs in the City, a new reality show from CSI exec producer Carol Mendelsohn. The series, which bows May 30, follows New York-based dog guru Justin Silver as he helps solves issues between owners and their dogs.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Commentary, Contract Talks, Scheduling News, TVLine Items

1. kjess says:

The Office, I love you, but it’s time to go!!
    Dogs in the City? Sounds like The Dog Whisperer, only, well, in the city. I’m thinking about starting a new reality show called Sitting on my A$$ Watching TV. Think anyone will watch?? That’s about the point we’ve gotten to now!

• Lisa says:

I agree about the Office. It used to be near-must-see-TV for me, but this season I’ve deleted far more episodes off the DVR without watching them than I ever have in the past.

• Lizabeth says:

I agree about The Office, too. I am still a loyal viewer, but it’s time to say goodbye to this show.

2. CJ says:

As for Seth MacFarlane’s overcrowded schedule, don’t forget he has a movie coming out, too.

• Elf says:

And he’s worknig on the Cosmos reboot. And he spent a lot fo time worknig on the album he released earlier this year. And he’s probably gonig to have to dedicate a lot of time to promiting his movie…

3. Please, why won’t they just let The Office die?

4. Geo says:

The Office situation is just sad. You’re reaching AfterMASH level, guys. Don’t hang on just to hang on.

5. SF says:

I’m calling it now… The Office – Interns coming this fall to NBC. A new cast of interns working at Dunder Mifflin with the ocassional appearance by someone from the Scranton branch.

6. Alffmix says:

An Office reboot would be awesome! I’m still laughing out loud to the show. I’ll watch The Farm too. =P

7. sarah says:

OMG seriously ENOUGH with the Office already, it should have ended last season and if they get renewed but pretty much every one leaves then why would they in their right minds bring it back. However it is NBC and that does not surprise me, they keep a show like this that is declining in ratings and will cancel other shows that should stay: Parenthood, Awake and Bent.

• Mitholas says:

Parenthood is “a safe bet” here and “likely to be renewed” on TVbythenumbers. It’s also closing in on syndication. I don’t think we need to be too worried about Parenthood’s chances of renewal.

I wholeheartedly agree that they completely mistreated Bent, though.

8. Joe says:

The Office is even funnier this year than in the past. It probably needs cancelled if that many people leave but for now people just need to stop crying about it.

• josh says:

i watched last nights episode of the office and what exactly was funny about it… the cold open they did two weeks ago was so poignant and a great metaphor for the show…. the balloon so to speak started up at the ceiling and slowly made its way down… if only they would follow suit and kill the balloon gracefully and on their terms instead of waiting for the inevitable show to lose all its characters and make more money just for the sake of gaining an extra 10-23 eps of syndication… they wont make it past the midseason break next year with community holding strong parks and rec returning soon and a probable successful comedy pilot next season… the office is done.

9. James says:

A Californication spin-off featuring a character they are introducing to us in season 6? Bad idea. If they wanted to do any kind of spin-off they should have done one with Madeline Zime as Mia a few seasons ago and had her do all the stuff that Hank now doesn’t do.

10. jen says:

I think it’s time for The Office to go ahead and sail away into the sunset. It was funny with Steve Carell but it really has gone downhill this season and I dont even bother trying to catch it anymore. I would rather watch reruns of The Big Bang Theory…its at least still really amusing.

11. Superhero says:

Haven’t they done enough to eat away at the legacy of the show? They kept it going even when they had the perfect way to end a show that already wasn’t as good as it used to be. They’re doing a spin-off that’s destined to be the next Joey. And now this? I understand NBC wanting to keep the show on the air, seeing how it’s really all they have going for them. But really, Greg Daniels? You’ve made some quality shows, but you need to know when to call it a day. Or at least when to want to call it a day.

• Brian J says:

At this point, it’s not clear how much he is really involved with the show. My understanding is that his main focus has been “Parks & Rec” for this season and at least the last one. If he’s involved in some sort of reboot, that’s probably because NBC realizes his previous involvement with the series was one of the things that made it work.

I am skeptical a reboot could work, but not entirely unconvinced. The problem with using “The Office” as it currently stands is that many of the things that made the show narratively interesting, like the threat of downsizing and interactions with corporate, are now gone. In a lot of ways, the real turning point for the series was when Sabre bought out Dunder Mifflin, not when Steve Carell left. And man of man, is he missed! The cast is still great, but as others have noted, the selection of Andy as branch manager is like the show trying to replace Michael, rather than trying something new. If the show were to be spun off, it would probably have to move to a new city. Considering Sabre is a Florida-based corporation, that’s not that hard to do. But moving to Florida might be too easy. Why not move the show to, say, Seattle, or San Francisco, or Salt Lake City, or any other place where Sabre might not have anything going on? On the show, it seems to be expanding, so something along the lines of having Dwight lead a West Coast, or Midwest, expansion in a new city could make sense. Among other things, it would give the show some of its business-themed narrative tension back.

The other thing to consider is that Daniels is still involved, however lightly, with “Parks & Rec,” and he has “Friday Night Dinner” with Allison Janney and Tony Shaloub in the works. The former, while struggling, is all but a sure thing for renewal, while the latter is probably guaranteed to be picked up. Even workhorses can only have their attention split in so many ways.

Plus, as I’ve mentioned here and on other forums, I am convinced NBC will bump “The Office” to midseason and give “FND” the Thursday 9:00 spot, now more than ever given the cast issues. If that happens, I bet his desire to reboot “The Office” is greatly lessened.

12. darcywilson says:

What kind of reboot are we talking about? I’d need more details before I criticize, because it could honestly be a good thing.

13. Sam says:

The Office should have ended last season. This season has been painful to watch.

14. Angela says:

Agreed on “The Office”. Especially given all the changes and holdouts and such among the cast-if they’re branching off into other things and talks are stuck, then that should be a sign right there to move on.
    As for other stories…wow, Seth MacFarlane’s going to be the busy bee for a while. Will be interesting to see how his “Flinstones” thing does when it finally winds up airing. And “Dogs in the City”? Somewhere, Joel McHale and the writers on “The Soup” are smiling at that news.

15. Why is everyone so down on The Office? It’s still a great show, Catherine Tate has added to the show, especially in the most recent episode, ‘I see you’ve discovered Benjamin, thats what I call my box full of photos of Henry’. James Spader, however, plays the role of the sycophant almost too well, glad he’s not sticking around for much longer.

• Nadine says:

Catherine Tate is wonderful. I’m still watching the Office and will likely check out the reboot and The Farm.

• Brendan says:

I agree. I love The Office still and I think that Catherine Tate is fantastic! :) I hope she sticks around. Sometimes James Spader’s character can be a little annoying but I think that’s the point and I’ve known people like that so I find it funny. I loved Steve Carrell but for me its the entire ensemble and all their quirks that make the show so great!

16. Pat D. says:

Put Creed in charge for more than one episode. Problem solved!

17. LeonoraKow says:

Having already undergone a makeover at the start of this season