Ratings: Community and Scandal Rise, Awake Flat, The Office Hits New All-Time Low

Get More: Finales, News, Ratings

With CBS in repeat mode*, several Thursday shows — including three “bubble” series – rebounded from last week’s soft numbers.

NBC’s Community, with 3.2 million total viewers, a 1.4 demo rating and a luminous Gillian Jacobs, inched up 6 and 8 percent, while fellow NBC comedy Up All Night (3.2 mil/1.5) — leading out of a fresh Office episode — wrapped its freshman run with gains of more than 20 percent.

At 10 o’clock, with The Mentalist riding the pine, ABC’s Scandal (7.5 mil/2.1) upticked a bit; NBC’s Awake however stayed flat at 2.65 mil/0.9.

Elsewhere on the night….

8 pm | American Idol‘s results show (15.3 mil/4.2) was up 8 percent week-to-week. ABC’s Missing gained a few viewers (hitting 7.9 mil) but dipped a tenth in the demo (to a 1.4). Despite having a repeat Big Bang lead-in, Rules of Engagement held steady at 8.5 mil/2.7, while time slot rival 30 Rock (3 mil/1.4) was up 9 and 17 percent.

9 pm | Grey’s Anatomy (8.8 mil/2.9) saw slight gains, but found itself bested in its opening half hour by a Big Bang repeat (10.3 mil/3.0). Fox’s Touch (8.2 mil/2.3) gained 14 percent in audience. The Office (4.35 mil/2.1) dropped 10 percent to an all-time demo low (yet was NBC’s highest-rated Thursday program, so…).

* As our sister site Deadline points out, CBS is mulling the prospect of a two-hour Thursday comedy block for the 2012-13 TV season, pushing Person of Interest to 10 pm (and The Mentalist to a new night). The above numbers, from repeats no less, prove promising.

What were you tuned into this Thursday?

Tags:

Comments (50)

• I’ll be sad if NBC cancels Awake after the end of the season but I’m relying on Fox if Touch gets renewed for another season and I don’t know what the future holds for Up All Night now that the season is over.

Comment by bad kevin – April 13, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Awake will be cancelled.

Comment by Brett (@brettstaffen) – April 13, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Touch” is a great show. I hope it gets renewed.

“Awake” is also an awesome show. It’s a shame its ratings are so low. I have a feeling the show is too smart for the general population.

Comment by Emgee – April 13, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree Emgee “Awake” is an original and very smart show. I love it! But sadly television is infested with brainless reality shows that have no problem staying on for years even a decade.

Comment by Cheryl – April 13, 2012 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good ratings for Community! Let’s just say I don’t need help reacting to that :)

Comment by Brendan – April 13, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just tell me how 3.2 million viewers are considered “good ratings.”

Comment by Jordan – April 13, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Cancellation Bear giveth and the Cancellation Bear taketh away.

Comment by Evan – April 13, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Look at the ratings for the rest of NBC’s comedies. That’s how 3.2/1.4 are good ratings. Context.

Comment by Brendan – April 13, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Community!… and Parks and Rec is back next week!
    Also, I watched Scandal last night for the first time and really enjoyed it.

Comment by Leah – April 13, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If NBC doesn’t renew Community after this ratings uptick after its return, I would be shocked and devastated.

Comment by Juan – April 13, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Community” is the most boring, dull, uninteresting comedy ever. As bad as “The Office” has gotten, it’s still better than “Community”

Comment by CL Hunter – April 13, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I can’t even begin to imagine what type of show you find interesting if you think Community is dull and uninteresting.

Comment by tripoli – April 13, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • CL Hunter is just a lousy troll looking to interact with someone because he has no life or friends and needs to do all his socializing on an anonymous website forum. *shakes head sadly* Go Community and Parks and Rec!

Comment by meleliot – April 14, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Scandal!!! Kerry & Tony Goldwyn have great chemistry. Also, Liza Weil (Amanda Tanner) is married to Paul Adelstein (aka Cooper from Private Practice), both now employed by Shonda Rhimes! lol

Comment by Maggie – April 13, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. SCANDAL is the best new drama this season for me. I’m addicted to and in love with both Kerry and Olivia.

Comment by Brett (@brettstaffen) – April 13, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw man, I didn’t realize how low Awake’s numbers were… This makes me sad, I really like it! It’s been getting really good lately and it is certainly different than anything else on… Of course that’s probably the problem… *sigh*

Comment by DreamRose311 – April 13, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do not want them to cancel Awake but I am sure NBC will long with Bent and one of my top shows Parenthood!

Comment by sarah – April 13, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yay Scandal!

Comment by amaka08 – April 13, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I see Community and Touch renewed. I see Awake cancelled. I’m told Awake is getting soooo much better, but I feel like the first 2 episodes dragged on a “generic crime drama with a twist”.

Comment by John Berggren – April 13, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It took a couple episodes to find its groove, but it’s really been doing some interesting development since then. Lord knows we don’t need yet another cop show in our lives, but Awake’s got enough twistiness – and the sci-fi mystery touches are handled deftly enough – that I wouldn’t mind it sticking around. Give it another shot. :)

Comment by Evan – April 13, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “Awake” iis just too damn smart for the general population. I said that after the first episode.

Comment by Emgee – April 13, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Completely agree.

Comment by Auntie J – April 13, 2012 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t know about it being “too smart” but it is a good show. For me it was depressing. I found myself feeling really bad for him because either way he’s losing a loved one. I stopped watching after the second or third episode. :o\

Comment by tp – April 15, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Awake but competing against Shondaland’s latest entry is not helping. I DVR Scandal but I can’t wait to watch Awake! It is so original and the awesome Jason Isaacs – not to mention a great supporting cast – is definitely must see TV. If they can’t find room on NBC, Universal TV is a great option. C’mon NBC, how many more rotten reality TV shows does America really need?

Comment by Linderella – April 13, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Awake too and Jacson Isaacs is awesome!

Comment by Annie – April 13, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Missing?

Comment by Elizabeth – April 13, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too am sad about Awake. It keeps getting better & it’s unique. It’s really sad that The Office is NBC’s best rated show last night. It was just dreadful. I used to love this show so much and now it just makes me sad to watch it–to see how far it has fallen. Even as a huge Catherine Tate fan, I find it nearly impossible to enjoy this show at all anymore. I wish NBC would put it out of its misery before the good memories fade away altogether but I don’t imagine they will if it’s still doing as well as it is ratings wise.

Comment by Kels – April 13, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community’s so awesome, we love you Britta! #sixseasonsandamovie

Comment by anna – April 13, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scandal was great, I really liked it.

Comment by Just J – April 13, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Awake. Like DreamRose311 said…”it is certainly different than anything else on” and if it’s not a sitcom or cop show it will most certainly be cancelled. God forbid NBC take a risk on a show that doesn’t meet that criteria!

Comment by Kat – April 13, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprising about The Office. That show is a shell of its former self. NBC really needs to pull the plug after this season.

Thrilled Community is doing well since it’s been back.

Comment by Ella – April 13, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So CBS wants to be morons and ruin Mentalist?2 hours of comedy is too much,that’s why they have mondays.

Comment by Shaun – April 13, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so frustrated with US audiences. They can’t stomach intelligent shows like Awake and Fringe. Only shows like Bacheor can suit their tastes. Its a shame really.

Comment by Daniel – April 13, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor NBC. Goodness gracious. Can it do anything right? 3 million people…that’s like cable network numbers.

Comment by Amanda From Michigan – April 13, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • See all this hoopla with Community behind the scenes (the scandal with one of the actors and the “leaking” of voicemails) didn’t harm Community at all. They should’ve done this earlier.

The Office should end after this season , it’s not getting any better. :-/

Comment by Jerri – April 13, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC needs to pink-slip The Office. It is a chore to watch now.

Comment by Abe Froman – April 13, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. It’s time for the Office to end.

Comment by Annie – April 13, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love scandal but if i had to pick between Private Practice and Scandal I would choose PP, with no doubt in my mind

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – April 13, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great to see Scandal on the rise! I really do love PP though and hope that it is not canceled if Scandal does well. I just need ONE more season of Private Practice to end these storylines. So I hope Scandal and PP can peacefully exist for the Fall 2012 season!

Comment by llws – April 13, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *UPDATE* Final ratings:

SCANDAL was adjusted DOWN to 2.0 (18-49 demo) & 7.28 million viewers (so it didn’t rise).
    THE OFFICE was adjusted UP to 2.2 (18-49 demo) & 4.39 million viewers.
    AMERICAN IDOL was adjusted UP to 4.3 (18-49 demo) 15.81 million viewers.

Comment by RATINGS – April 13, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shonda hasn’t had another show since PP get taken to a season 2.. perhaps Scandal will be that show. I watched both The Deep End and Off the Map (wanna say there was another one she did.. can’t remember). Her stuff is mostly watchable.. although she is getting more outlandish in the last 2 years or so. Grey’s is just so crazy at times right now.

Comment by Danielle H – April 13, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC needs to renew 30 Rock, Community, and Up All Night…and CANCEL The Office. Seriously NBC, its time to throw in the towel on The Office, end it on a high note. CBS will have 2 hours of comedy next Fall, so NBC, maybe you should move your comedy night to Fridays…at least you would get the same ratings as Thursday night. You have great comedies in 30 Rock and Community..RENEW THEM!!

As for ABC, Scandal probably won’t improve, and you have some great new drama pilots..use them. Also, move GCB to Wednesday nights after the comedy block instead of Sunday nights. (Yes I know we are talking about Thursday, but still)

Comment by Michael – April 13, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community was great!!! It featured my two favorite things on the show…Joel McHale with his shirt off (being lusted after by Annie no less), and the running gag on the show where they pick on Britta. “Her pain unites us.” “I’m sorry, Britta, some things are funny because they don’t make sense, and that is NOT one of them.” There also was a great look at the end between Troy and Britta. I’m digging it.

The one thing on the show I’m struggling with is the guest appearances of John Goodman. The Big Lebowski will always be one of my favorite John Goodman movies, but his scenes on Community take the wind out of my sails. They are very overacted and not funny. I think they should just go back to showing more of the minor characters we’ve known for years like Leonard, Star Burns, Annie’s Boobs, and for the love of all things Daily Show, I need more John Oliver!!!!!!

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – April 13, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes to John Oliver! He hasn’t been on since Shirley had her baby last season.

Comment by Jake – April 13, 2012 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually don’t mind Laybourne myself-I think his character could get fleshed out a bit more and maybe be integrated into the show better, but I do like his overall sneakiness, it’s kind of intriguing-but that aside, this post, YES. Every word, just flat out YES. Well said!
      And I’m thrilled that the show’s ratings are doing something of note. Even if it’s a small uptick, it’s sure as hell better than the alternative. I hope NBC takes note of that and keeps that in mind for renewal time.

Comment by Angela – April 13, 2012 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As our sister site Deadline points out, CBS is mulling the prospect of a two-hour Thursday comedy block for the 2012-13 TV season,

Comment by Soledad Ridley – April 13, 2012 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Scandal continues to get better. I enjoy it.

Comment by tp – April 15, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With CBS in repeat mode*, several Thursday shows — including three “bubble” series

Comment by GayeTro – April 16, 2012 02:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am addicted too and captivated by SCANDAL, absolutely amazing writing by Shonda Rhimes. Great time slot, I don’t even answer my phone at 10pm. It keeps you on your toes and then you’re kind of upset when the hour is over, please extend for, at minimal, another Season, Kerry Washington is an actress, no doubt about it- FANTASTIC!

Comment by Jonelle – May 11, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post