Ratings: Community and Scandal Rise, Awake Flat, The Office Hits New All-Time Low

With CBS in repeat mode*, several Thursday shows — including three “bubble” series — rebounded from last week’s soft numbers.

NBC’s Community, with 3.2 million total viewers, a 1.4 demo rating and a luminous Gillian Jacobs, inched up 6 and 8 percent, while fellow NBC comedy Up All Night (3.2 mil/1.5) — leading out of a fresh Office episode — wrapped its freshman run with gains of more than 20 percent.

At 10 o’clock, with The Mentalist riding the pine, ABC’s Scandal (7.5 mil/2.1) upticked a bit; NBC’s Awake however stayed flat at 2.65 mil/0.9.

Elsewhere on the night….

8 pm | American Idol‘s results show (15.3 mil/4.2) was up 8 percent week-to-week. ABC’s Missing gained a few viewers (hitting 7.9 mil) but dipped a tenth in the demo (to a 1.4). Despite having a repeat Big Bang lead-in, Rules of Engagement held steady at 8.5 mil/2.7, while time slot rival 30 Rock (3 mil/1.4) was up 9 and 17 percent.

9 pm | Grey’s Anatomy (8.8 mil/2.9) saw slight gains, but found itself bested in its opening half hour by a Big Bang repeat (10.3 mil/3.0). Fox’s Touch (8.2 mil/2.3) gained 14 percent in audience. The Office (4.35 mil/2.1) dropped 10 percent to an all-time demo low (yet was NBC’s highest-rated Thursday program, so…).

* As our sister site Deadline points out, CBS is mulling the prospect of a two-hour Thursday comedy block for the 2012-13 TV season, pushing Person of Interest to 10 pm (and The Mentalist to a new night). The above numbers, from repeats no less, prove promising.

What were you tuned into this Thursday?

1. bad kevin says:

I’ll be sad if NBC cancels Awake after the end of the season but I’m relying on Fox if Touch gets renewed for another season and I don’t know what the future holds for Up All Night now that the season is over.

2. Brendan says:

Good ratings for Community! Let’s just say I don’t need help reacting to that :)

3. Leah says:

Go Community!… and Parks and Rec is back next week!
    Also, I watched Scandal last night for the first time and really enjoyed it.

4. Juan says:

If NBC doesn’t renew Community after this ratings uptick after its return, I would be shocked and devastated.

• CL Hunter says:

“Community” is the most boring, dull, uninteresting comedy ever. As bad as “The Office” has gotten, it’s still better than “Community”

• tripoli says:

I can’t even begin to imagine what type of show you find interesting if you think Community is dull and uninteresting.

• meleliot says:

CL Hunter is just a lousy troll looking to interact with someone because he has no life or friends and needs to do all his socializing on an anonymous website forum. *shakes head sadly* Go Community and Parks and Rec!

5. Maggie says:

I really like Scandal!!! Kerry & Tony Goldwyn have great chemistry. Also, Liza Weil (Amanda Tanner) is married to Paul Adelstein (aka Cooper from Private Practice), both now employed by Shonda Rhimes! lol

6. DreamRose311 says:

Aw man, I didn’t realize how low Awake’s numbers were… This makes me sad, I really like it! It’s been getting really good lately and it is certainly different than anything else on… Of course that’s probably the problem… *sigh*

7. sarah says:

I do not want them to cancel Awake but I am sure NBC will long with Bent and one of my top shows Parenthood!

8. John Berggren says:

I see Community and Touch renewed. I see Awake cancelled. I’m told Awake is getting soooo much better, but I feel like the first 2 episodes dragged on a “generic crime drama with a twist”.

• Evan says:

It took a couple episodes to find its groove, but it’s really been doing some interesting development since then. Lord knows we don’t need yet another cop show in our lives, but Awake’s got enough twistiness – and the sci-fi mystery touches are handled deftly enough – that I wouldn’t mind it sticking around. Give it another shot. :)

• Emgee says:

“Awake” iis just too damn smart for the general population. I said that after the first episode.

• Auntie J says:

Completely agree.

• tp says:

I don’t know about it being “too smart” but it is a good show. For me it was depressing. I found myself feeling really bad for him because either way he’s losing a loved one. I stopped watching after the second or third episode. :o\

9. Linderella says:

I love Awake but competing against Shondaland’s latest entry is not helping. I DVR Scandal but I can’t wait to watch Awake! It is so original and the awesome Jason Isaacs – not to mention a great supporting cast – is definitely must see TV. If they can’t find room on NBC, Universal TV is a great option. C’mon NBC, how many more rotten reality TV shows does America really need?

10. Elizabeth says:

What about Missing?

11. Kels says:

I too am sad about Awake. It keeps getting better & it’s unique. It’s really sad that The Office is NBC’s best rated show last night. It was just dreadful. I used to love this show so much and now it just makes me sad to watch it–to see how far it has fallen. Even as a huge Catherine Tate fan, I find it nearly impossible to enjoy this show at all anymore. I wish NBC would put it out of its misery before the good memories fade away altogether but I don’t imagine they will if it’s still doing as well as it is ratings wise.

12. anna says:

Community’s so awesome, we love you Britta! #sixseasonsandamovie

13. Just J says:

Scandal was great, I really liked it.

14. Kat says:

I love Awake. Like DreamRose311 said…”it is certainly different than anything else on” and if it’s not a sitcom or cop show it will most certainly be cancelled. God forbid NBC take a risk on a show that doesn’t meet that criteria!

15. Ella says:

Not surprising about The Office. That show is a shell of its former self. NBC really needs to pull the plug after this season.

Thrilled Community is doing well since it’s been back.

16. Shaun says:

So CBS wants to be morons and ruin Mentalist?2 hours of comedy is too much,that’s why they have mondays.

17. Daniel says:

I am so frustrated with US audiences. They can’t stomach intelligent shows like Awake and Fringe. Only shows like Bacheor can suit their tastes. Its a shame really.

18. Amanda From Michigan says:

Poor NBC. Goodness gracious. Can it do anything right? 3 million people…that’s like cable network numbers.

19. Jerri says:

See all this hoopla with Community behind the scenes (the scandal with one of the actors and the “leaking” of voicemails) didn’t harm Community at all. They should’ve done this earlier.

The Office should end after this season , it’s not getting any better. :-/

20. Abe Froman says:

NBC needs to pink-slip The Office. It is a chore to watch now.

21. I love scandal but if i had to pick between Private Practice and Scandal I would choose PP, with no doubt in my mind

22. llws says:

Great to see Scandal on the rise! I really do love PP though and hope that it is not canceled if Scandal does well. I just need ONE more season of Private Practice to end these storylines. So I hope Scandal and PP can peacefully exist for the Fall 2012 season!

23. RATINGS says:

*UPDATE* Final ratings:

SCANDAL was adjusted DOWN to 2.0 (18-49 demo) & 7.28 million viewers (so it didn’t rise).
    THE OFFICE was adjusted UP to 2.2 (18-49 demo) & 4.39 million viewers.
    AMERICAN IDOL was adjusted UP to 4.3 (18-49 demo) 15.81 million viewers.

24. Danielle H says:

Shonda hasn’t had another show since PP get taken to a season 2.. perhaps Scandal will be that show. I watched both The Deep End and Off the Map (wanna say there was another one she did.. can’t remember). Her stuff is mostly watchable.. although she is getting more outlandish in the last 2 years or so. Grey’s is just so crazy at times right now.

25. Michael says:

NBC needs to renew 30 Rock, Community, and Up All Night…and CANCEL The Office. Seriously NBC, its time to throw in the towel on The Office, end it on a high note. CBS will have 2 hours of comedy next Fall, so NBC, maybe you should move your comedy night to Fridays…at least you would get the same ratings as Thursday night. You have great comedies in 30 Rock and Community..RENEW THEM!!

As for ABC, Scandal probably won’t improve, and you have some great new drama pilots..use them. Also, move GCB to Wednesday nights after the comedy block instead of Sunday nights. (Yes I know we are talking about Thursday, but still)

26. Britta Unfiltered says:

Community was great!!! It featured my two favorite things on the show…Joel McHale with his shirt off (being lusted after by Annie no less), and the running gag on the show where they pick on Britta. “Her pain unites us.” “I’m sorry, Britta, some things are funny because they don’t make sense, and that is NOT one of them.” There also was a great look at the end between Troy and Britta. I’m digging it.

The one thing on the show I’m struggling with is the guest appearances of John Goodman. The Big Lebowski will always be one of my favorite John Goodman movies, but his scenes on Community take the wind out of my sails. They are very overacted and not funny. I think they should just go back to showing more of the minor characters we’ve known for years like Leonard, Star Burns, Annie’s Boobs, and for the love of all things Daily Show, I need more John Oliver!!!!!!

• Jake says:

Yes to John Oliver! He hasn’t been on since Shirley had her baby last season.

• Angela says:

I actually don’t mind Laybourne myself-I think his character could get fleshed out a bit more and maybe be integrated into the show better, but I do like his overall sneakiness, it’s kind of intriguing-but that aside, this post, YES. Every word, just flat out YES. Well said!
      And I’m thrilled that the show’s ratings are doing something of note. Even if it’s a small uptick, it’s sure as hell better than the alternative. I hope NBC takes note of that and keeps that in mind for renewal time.

27. As our sister site Deadline points out, CBS is mulling the prospect of a two-hour Thursday comedy block for the 2012-13 TV season,

28. tp says:

I hope Scandal continues to get better. I enjoy it.

29. GayeTro says:

30. Jonelle says:

I am addicted too and captivated by SCANDAL, absolutely amazing writing by Shonda Rhimes. Great time slot, I don’t even answer my phone at 10pm. It keeps you on your toes and then you’re kind of upset when the hour is over, please extend for, at minimal, another Season, Kerry Washington is an actress, no doubt about it- FANTASTIC!