30 Rock Exclusive: Community's Donald Glover to Appear in Live Episode as Tracy Jordan!

Get More: Casting News, Exclusive

Donald Glover 30 Rock30 Rock‘s second live outing has just been upgraded from fun stunt to must-see TV, and here’s why: Community‘s Donald Glover has been recruited to appear in the April 26 episode playing the rather key role of, um, Tracy Jordan.

Naturally, there’s a catch.

Glover isn’t replacing Tracy Morgan. Rather, the Greendale 7 vet will play Tracy “as a younger man,” executive producer Robert Carlock tells TVLine exclusively, adding, “Donald does an excellent Tracy Morgan-slash-Jordan impression.”

30 Rock Finale Scoop: Look Who’s Returning!

The gig marks a homecoming for Glover, who previously worked as a writer on 30 Rock. He also has made a handful of blink-and-you-missed-it cameos on the Emmy-winning comedy, including one that actually foreshadowed his live episode stint.

As Carlock reveals, a special extended version of Jordan’s classic Season 1 jingle, “Werewolf Bar Mitzvah,” actually features vocals by Glover. “Tracy wasn’t available, so Donald came in and [performed the extra material],” he explains. “I don’t think you can tell. It’s pretty remarkable. All the spoken stuff is Donald doing Tracy.”

Community Spoiler: Fresh Intel on the Big Death

Back to the live episode, the plot revolves around Kabletown’s decision to discontinue TGS as a live show. Liz and Jack welcome the move, since shooting canned episodes will be far less time consuming. Kenneth, however, “tries to convince everyone that live television is worth doing,” explains Carlock, “and he does that by taking us back through the history of TGS.” As a result, a good portion of the half-hour features newly-created “flashbacks to old shows, and our [cast] jumps around playing all of those old parts.”

Comments (22)

• I love all of these interlocking NBC comedies ;)

Comment by Matt Goodman – April 12, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i actually just saw donald glover on comedy central doing his tracy morgan impression today

Comment by Joe – April 12, 2012 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t this more of a “return to 30 Rock” for Donald Glover? I mean, he wrote for the show for a year and made a cameo in one of the eps as a PA, if I’m not mistaken. Either way, I’m looking forward to the live episode, loved the first one, hopefully they do this second one justice.

Comment by Mac – April 12, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you read the item? Both points covered.

Comment by Todd Everett – April 12, 2012 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Troy, but DonGlover is always going to be “gay black kid” in my heart :)

Comment by Benjamin Adgate (@benadgatemusic) – April 12, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WHO TOLD?! (lol.)

Comment by Anne – April 12, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t you mean, “Clearly. Gay Black Kid!”

Comment by Nic – April 12, 2012 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for this!!!!!!

Comment by JT – April 12, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, so it takes someone from Community to make 30 Rock appointment television? Good to see this site isn’t biased…

Community has been unsuccessfully trying to emulate 30 Rock for three years and it will never even come close to it. No wonder the Emmys keep overlooking it.

Comment by stefanjames – April 12, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Community is still much better than 30 Rock. Emmy’s don’t really mean as much these days.

Comment by Sg.Grant – April 12, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just because a show is being snubbed by the Emmy’s does not mean it’s not a good show. That’s flawed reasoning. For a show that you don’t deem as good as 30 Rock, it has an awfully devoted fanbase who will do anything to keep it on air, critics included.

And, please share some examples on how Community is imitating 30 Rock. Are we watching the same show?

Comment by Anna Banana – April 12, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yeah, that was pretty lame. with or without Donald Glover 30 Rock live episode is must-see TV.

Comment by user – April 12, 2012 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Man, you three really took some plump bait on that one.

Comment by stefanjames is . . . the trollmaster – April 13, 2012 12:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m a pretty big 30 Rock fan. It took Community about half a season to get to a point where it got really great, but I don’t think you could really watch its second season and still say 30 Rock is a better comedy show.

Comment by Mitholas – April 13, 2012 02:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who cares about the Emmys? “Buffy” never won either. It doesn’t mean anything.

Comment by Lou St. Pierre – April 13, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You clearly have never seen an episode of Community if you think it is trying to emulate anything. The reason why this show is so witty and unique is because it is unlike any show out there.

Comment by Anja – April 13, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMMMGG SOOO PUMPED!

Comment by Juliana – April 13, 2012 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this so much, I want to take it out behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

Comment by Nick – April 13, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderful!

Comment by Sarabi – April 13, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • EXCEPT, that when Tracy was recruited for TGS in season 1, he was OLDER. He was never that young on THAT show. Interesting to see how they’d pull that off without losing continuity.

Comment by L Hoffman – April 13, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still hate the idea of a 30 Rock live episode as I disliked the first one they did, but with Donald Glover added I am intrigued. He does do a very funny Tracy Morgan impression, I’ve seen it in his stand-up comedy.

30 Rock’s last few episodes have picked up for me. I was not a fan of last season and the start of this season had me scared, but I started liking it again starting with The Tuxedo Returns episode, so I do hope I enjoy the live episode because I have missed the early days of that show like crazy.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – April 13, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need something on the wonderfully underused April in Grey’s. Any big developments for her this season? Will she be losing her v-card soon?

Comment by Tatiana – April 18, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post