Ratings: Glee, NCIS: LA and DWTS Hit Lows, New Girl and Ringer Rise

On another of those strangely soft primetime nights — overall TV usage was down some 9 percent in the 8 o’clock hour — several shows hit all-time lows in the demo on Wednesday.

Among them: Glee returned from hiatus to 6.7 million total viewers and a 2.7 rating, down 10 percent from its winter finale; NCIS: Los Angeles (12.8 mil/2.3) dropped 13 and 23 percent; Dancing With the Stars (13 mil/2.3) fell 17 percent; and CBS’ Unforgettable (9.5 mil/1.8) slipped double digits to get bested by fellow bubble show Body of Proof‘s season finale (10.2 mil/1.9).

Michael Slezak’s Dancing With the Stars Week 4 Results Recap: How’d That Happen?

Elsewhere:

8 pm | NCIS (17.3 mil/3.1) slipped 7 and 11 percent, hitting a season-low demo, but still was Tuesday’s most-watched program. The Biggest Loser (6.7 mil/2.2) packed on 4 and 10 percent. Last Man Standing (6.7 mil/1.7) was down two tenths in the demo, while Cougar Town (5 mil/1.5) saw a 13 percent gain in audience.

9 pm | The Voice (8.9 mil/3.5) led the night in the demos, gaining 9 percent week-to-week. New Girl (5.3 mil/2.7), now back to a strong(er) lead-in, was up 15 and 17 percent, priming Raising Hope (4 mil/1.9) for a 19 percent jump. Ringer (1.22 mil/0.5) reaped a rare uptick, gaining 16 percent and a tenth.

10 pm | Body of Proof, as noted, led the hour yet was down a tick from its penultimate hour. (Mmmm, missing brains!) Placing third, Fashion Star (4.65 mil/1.8) nonetheless saw gains of 13 and 20 percent.

What were you tuned into this Tuesday night?

1. loved new girl. seriously i laugh out loud every single week. how bad do guys want to play the true american drinking game??

2. Laura says:

What else did Glee expect? They come back from a cliffhanger with a Blaine episode and a time jump? Of course people aren’t going to watch that

• Jennifer says:

I think viewers wanted to see what happened next, meaning they wanted to see what happened to stop the wedding, they wanted reactions to Quinns accident. Instead we got a Blaine episode, albeit a nice episode that if it hadn’t came on after the hiatus wouldn’t of been so bad. I actually enjoyed Matt Bomer but it was still a let down episode.

• Joseph says:

Truth is that people did watch Glee ,
      Pros , story line moved along and it ended with a killer song , Glee cover of Goyte is now in the iTunes top 10 and it pushed the original to # 1 !! , Some killer lines even if they were rushed in many cases which resulted in their impact being lost.
      Cons, with the exception of the Goyte cover , every single other song was a mess and over auto tuned and produced , making them painful on the ear.

• Michael says:

If you haven’t noticed…viewers aren’t watching much of anything. That 3.1 for NCIS in the 18-49 is WAY off the numbers from the fall and winter. All shows are struggling at the moment.(I wasn’t crazy about Glee last night, but it hasn’t fallen any further than any other show since Day Light Savings Time sent people outdoors.

• yep says:

But that is the point. You weren’t crazy about the episode. It should have been a whopper after the 7 week hiatus leaving us with a cliff hanger. It returned admittedly very funny but as in season 2 and some of this season story lines are dropped and left by the side of the road. The music IMO was not Glee standards. I enjoyed Artie and Quinn’s 1st song. Duran Duran was a wash. Matt Bowmer was very funny and entertaining but it did not save the episode just a C at best.

• C says:

I agree with everything y’all are saying. I also think we wanted to find out more from Blaine and his family before Kurt graduates. just a thought… right? I mean the audience wanted to know what happened to Quinn and her accident but I think we’ll get to see her story develop more as we see what’s going to happen to her in the weeks to come.

3. Thomas says:

Wow, I guess Blarren, guest stars, and gimmick aren’t helping the show all that much. Can they stop giving him multiple musical numbers per episode now? And can we just have regular episodes that focus on the character already here instead of bringing in a different celebrity guest star, even if they are “The Best Guest Star Ever”?

4. Rolfe says:

I really hope Ringer had somehow get a second season. These last handful of episodes have been amazing. Best thing The CW has.

• Don says:

I agree 100% We need a second season

• Gary Jr. says:

Ditto that. It reminded me of old-school soap with all the twists upon twists.

• Jess says:

I love Ringer and truly hope there’ll be a second episode. But I hope they’ll rein it in a little bit. Last night, when Olivia was pulled into the conspiracy, i was like “seriously?! O.o” I mean, how many people have we seen to want Shiv/Brig dead? Everyone! I just think there are too many secret dealings going on at the same time and jumping around each plotline is giving me whiplash.

• oliver says:

i totally agree. a quality show from cw that deserves a renewal unlike the many trash shows they have. i really hope gossip girl gets axed along with 90210. thankfully one tree hill is out for good. and also i hope cw picks up nikita for at least a 3rd season. if they do, ill die happy. :P

5. LInda says:

Way to go Body of Proof. One of the few non cable shows I still watch. Please renew it ABC!

6. bad kevin says:

Really hope Body of Proof gets renewed now that the season is over and the CW may have a tough time on the fate of Ringer as the serialized drama is heading towards its “season finale” next Tuesday.

7. Ed says:

Part of me thinks that the CW will in no way, shape or form renew Ringer for a 2nd season with these ratings. But this is the CW, Heck even TSC, Nikita, GG and I believe 90210 have about the same ratings right? So there is hope…No?

8. Becky says:

I’m not surprised that NCIS was down a bit. It seemed like an odd day to come back. I assume there will be at least one or two more weeks of reruns in there before the finale? Also, a bit disappointed in the episode. It was hyped all season long as this amazing Ziva episode, and I didn’t really feel that. JLC continues to rock though! Hope she sticks around!!

• maggie says:

i must admit i could not even fathom why Jamie Lee Curtis is in there,all she does is give smouldering looks to Gibbs.she serves as much purpose as Castles mother,if she is having a regular spot there will be more of us switching off

• Mcat says:

I don’t know, I kind of really liked the episode. Everyone seemed highly competent, which is a nice treat. Jimmy and Abby were so cute, Tony and Ziva actually worked well together, Gibbs showed emotion/excitement for the first time in a long time. So great to see non-clown Tony.

• suzi says:

I agree with everything you said….that’s always nice.

• Becky says:

I agree with that. It was a pretty good “group” episode. What I was disappointed in was that it had been hyped all season as a “Ziva” episode and I really didn’t feel that. It seems everytime I get my hopes up for a specific episode I’m disappointed (didn’t care for the 200th either), but the ones I barely remember to watch, I love! It must be me. LOL!

• Kim Spain says:

I think that the episodes without JLC have done better, The good son, and Rekindled rated higher, so she really did nothing for the show but show her cleave and made it look like soap opera, rather than a naval crime unit

9. genifer says:

I love Body of Proof… going to wait for season 3 ABC… don´t hang us up with Peter in a serious condition. I´ll curse you to pieces.

10. Deb says:

Go RiNGER! Last night’s episode was CRAYYYYZY! The CW has to renew it

11. Elizabeth says:

I think people criticising Glee are missing the main point. FOX was in fourth place in its timeslot last week. Glee not only improved the timeslot but it helped give The New Girl (the anchor for the night) better ratings. We need to stop thinking of individual ratings and look at the bigger picture. FOX had a stronger night with this lineup then it has in weeks. The problem FOX has given us weak programing during Glee’s hiatus. It has nothing to do with Glee that the ratings suffer.

12. D says:

What can expect glee if given an episode to most boring character

13. holly says:

I am thinking that more than just me is sick to death of hiatus after hiatus is getting really old. Since when does ANYONe get that many breaks from work? I never know when to watch anymore. NCIS was supposed to be about Ziva and was a real let down.. Enough of Gibbs love life. And Abby is barely on anymore. New girl ws really funny though and I enjoyed Unforgetable

• LInda says:

I miss NCIS focusing on stories about the regular characters. I am sick of the endless round of recurring guest stars. As I have said before the only recurring character that I have ever really cared about was Fornell. Also the Coast Guard Special Agent played by Diane Neal wasn’t bad but thats it. As much as I hate to say it, I think NCIS is off my list at least for now. I am down to Castle and Body of Proof as far as network t.v. Cable is just so much better.

• Mariah says:

Hiatus doesn’t equal ‘breaks from work’. Typically production on a show continues steadily regardless of the airing of new vs. rerun episodes.

• Steph says:

They don’t get breaks from work during a hiatus. They’re still filming episodes. A network orders so many episodes per season and they need to stretch it out. Which is the reason for the hiatus’. Or it has to do with sweeps. As for the ratings it’s not surprising. The ratings always dip this time of year.

14. S says:

Ringer was honestly amazing last night and the week before as well. I wish they would have made it more exciting in the first half of the season as well. I have a feeling it’ll get cancelled.

15. Renee says:

I’ve pretty much lost interest in TV right now. After Fox cancelled Terra Nova I pretty much have a why bother attitude about them all. I do eventually watch Person Of Interest and Grimm, but haven’t watched any other show in weeks. And haven’t missed it either.

16. sarah says:

Well I did not get Ringer instead they aired the Bulls, game…BS if you ask me. They should have aired earlier instead of the 90210 rerun. I live in Canada and the CW site does not work for us Canadians so I have to see how the hell I can see this episode.

17. Dee says:

Ringer was amazing! last night! That twist came out of nowhere.

I’m glad Henry is asking for a paternity test.

It wll be a shame though, if Andrew turns out to be the father. He deserves to be happy. With Bridget.

• Dee says:

Forgot to add, there is a whole lot of something missing from NCIS. It just isn’t the show I loved 3 or 4 years go.

Jamie Lee Curtis is adorable but I don’t want her to be with Gibbs. To say nothing of the forced relationship some people insist that DiNozzo and Ziva have, or need to have.

It was cute that Abby will be Palmer’s Best Man!

• Renee says:

It seems to me it’s missing humor. The writing used to be clever and full of funny little things, but no longer. And it used to be about “the team”. I don’t know I just don’t enjoy the show any longer.

• Becky says:

YES Renee!!! I’ve been rewatching Season 3, and I completely forgot how dang funny everyone is! And while there were certainly shows focusing on specific characters, there always seemed to be a balance of the characters. How many lines does McGee even get anymore? Or Ducky or Abby? It seems that it used to be a lot more even.

18. Petar says:

As i said before weeks most of the CBS dramas are aging and CBS need fresh blood! PoI is their rookie of the year and next champion! PoI will take CBS post-Super Bowl slot next year!

For next season:

Tuesday
    8 Person of Interest 9 Criminal Minds 10 CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

Wednesday
    8 NCIS 9 Hawaii Five-0 10 NCIS: Los Angeles

19. At this point, with the positive word-of-mouth for the back end of the season of Ringer (which makes the entire season brilliant in hindsight), I would pair reruns of Season 1 with the Sunday (or even better timeslot-wise, Tuesday) edition of Big Brother on CBS this summer leading right up to the Season 2 premiere in late September on The CW. But that’s just me. Corporate synergy, horizontal integration, all that jazz.

• ChrisGa says:

RInger has been ridiculously good with this latest string of episodes; I think it really is the best thing the CW has going right now. And there’s just so much more on that network that needs to go—GG and 90210 to name just two.

20. John Q. Public says:

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but has Rookie Blue been cancelled? I’ve been patiently waiting on several shows that haven’t come back, perhaps I should have looked for a site such as this sooner

• Sg.Grant says:

It comes on in the summer. It’ll be back in late May or June.

• Nancy says:

I read last week Rookie Blue will be back May 24. I am looking forward to it.

• Sparky says:

So ready for summer TV – Rookie Blue, Burn Notice, everything USA related makes for great TV viewing. This seasons regular TV has been pretty bad and uninspiring on the whole. My absolute all time favorite has to be Suits – love me some Harvey. Anyone got the exact return date for it – I know that its June just not sure what the date is???

21. Joy says:

As an older :-) viewer, I remember the days when a series was on for 39 weeks. None of these breaks that make us lose interest. The other 13 weeks were used to give new shows a chance to see what they could do. I know 39 is considered too long now but I’d settle for about 30 if only they continued. that would give actors 22 weeks to pursue other projects.
    OK So I’m a dreamer.

22. Leigh says:

I thought Body of Proof was excellent. It is one of the few shows I watch anymore. I hope ABC renews it for a third season. It’s a great pair up with DWTS as it has shown in the past few weeks. The brain thing was a little strange, but it made sense after the commercial.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, with the nice bump in viewers in the last three weeks—yes, thank DWTS, but we’ll take it where we can get it—I’m hoping ABC gives it a third season. Dana Delany is just too good an actress to unemploy.

23. Kathy says:

Body of Proof was great but Glee deserved to drop! Last night’s Glee was one of the worst episodes ever!!!

24. itts_mee says:

Geezz!!! EVEN AT ITS SEASON LOW NCIS IS THE MOST WATCHED SHOW OF THE NIGHT!

25. Robin says:

Yay…for Ringer ratings rising…hopefully next week’s finale will rise even more!!! And then CW will renew! :)

26. Ethel says:

Can we keep Matt Bomer and send Darren Criss off to a remote area of LA?

27. Mapleleaf says:

You can’t have weeks of reruns and expect people to still tune in!

28. Rebecca says:

I have to say, as an avid watcher of NCIS on Tuesdays, I was really disapointed with the situation with Jamie Lee Curtis. I’m not really a fan of hers to begin with, but watching her with Gibbs made me want to puke. HE DESERVES BETTER. I really can’t stand her on the show and have stopped watching. Whoever hired her for a relationship with Gibbs must have owed her some favor. She really sucks as a love inspiration.
    RML.