Krysten Ritter on Playing an 'Outrageous Sociopath' in Don't Trust the B—– in Apt 23

Just call her the anti-New Girl. In ABC’s new comedy Don’t Trust the B—– in Apartment 23 (premiering tonight at 9:30/8:30c), Krysten Ritter plays Chloe, an outrageous party girl who carries around a switchblade instead of a feeling stick and has sex on cakes instead of baking them.

The alumna of Breaking Bad and Veronica Mars chatted with TVLine about morning martinis, living in co-star James Van Der Beek’s house and what other insanity to look forward to in Apartment 23.

TVLINE | Chloe is a lot different than other characters you’ve played. What attracted you to this project?
Chloe has a combination of everything; she’s such an outrageous, dynamic character. She has the darker stuff and the drugs and all of that, but she’s also really fun and funny as well. In the pilot alone, I was dancing in a hip hop video, I had a switchblade, I was getting a kid drunk, having sex on a birthday cake and may or may not have been dealing drugs.

TVLINE | Would you describe her as a sociopath?
Oh yeah, she’s definitely a sociopath. [Laughs] She’s a con artist, she’s conniving, she’s totally free of emotional attachments and she marches to her own drummer. She has no code — she does whatever she wants to do; however, it does come from a good place. As messed up as it is, she thinks she’s doing the right thing, and I don’t think she’s a bitch – I think she’s just a fabulous force of nature.

Watch this sneak peek, then read on for more:

TVLINE | What about Chloe has shocked you the most so far?
Every episode there’s something insane! You find out that I’m the star of a very, very huge graphic novel in Japan; I am a registered sex offender; and there may or may not be a sex tape of James Van Der Beek. Episode 4 opens up with me slapping June across the face. You find out later that it’s an act, but just the stuff that I get to do — it’s just so fun! She wakes up in the morning and drinks a martini; it’s ridiculous! [Laughs]

TVLINE | What is it like working with James?
I love working with James, and I think he’s doing such a great job on the show. He’s really funny and somehow really adorable; at the end of every episode, I kind of want to give him a hug. We’re total buds – I actually live in his old house! I needed a place to live to shoot the show and he was like, “Live in my house! I just moved out of it!” [Laughs]

TVLINE | Lastly, how long do you think Jane, your character on Breaking Bad, would last in Apartment 23?
Oh, poor Jane would probably be dead in two seconds because she would probably be bingeing on heroin!

Comments (19)

• I might take a look, from what I’ve seen in the previews, it looks interesting.

Comment by robinepowell – April 11, 2012 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Loved her on Gilmore Girls, so I’ll give it a shot.

Comment by Templar – April 11, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am oddly interested in this show. I think I am going to check it out or at least DVR it.

Comment by Bethany – April 11, 2012 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry but sounds horrid. Not interested. Please let this one die a very quick death. ABC – when did a “family” centered network find it acceptable to use the “B” word so much?

Comment by kirads09 – April 11, 2012 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wait…really??

Comment by Kevin H. – April 11, 2012 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You cannot be serious!! The B word is used my most ADULTS on the planet. If you really think that is offensive for a “family” centered network like ABC (have you seen Once Upon a Time?) to use the B word, then you need a serious reality check!

Comment by Justin – April 11, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Heavens to Bitsy, not the B word. Oh no.

Comment by daviduter – April 11, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw the preview of the pilot and it was really good. I love Dreama Walker and Krysten Ritter and I’ve been waiting for them to get series regular gigs. And James Van Der Beek was hilarious.

Comment by Fee – April 11, 2012 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched the first two episodes and I LOVE this show. So hilarious!

Comment by randirocks – April 11, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really did enjoy the first two episodes (already available on ABC.com) a lot more than I thought I would. Not sure if I’ll tune in every week, but it’s better than a lot of things this year. I just hope the hook can really turn into a plot.

Also, I like to think of this as what would have happened to Jane (from BB) had she gotten away from Jesse – couldn’t have been more sad about that!

Comment by Bailey – April 11, 2012 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed the pilot WAY more than I thought I would. If they keep that balance, I think it will work.

Comment by Alice – April 11, 2012 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I was surprised how much I liked the first two episodes. Looking forward to more.

Comment by Amanda – April 11, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are also going the “Smash” let’s shove it down their throats with uber-overpromotion direction I see. Geesh – can’t escape it.

Comment by kirads09 – April 11, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show looks awful! Just completely stupid and a waste of time! I won’t be watching!

Comment by Kathy – April 11, 2012 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Has to b better than GCB.

Comment by AncientLyre – April 11, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, good. The pearl clutchers have emerged.

Comment by Lola – April 11, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve seen both episode one & two and. Have to say this show is really funny… It’s like sesame street on acid.

Comment by Van – April 11, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been looking forward to this show for a while :)

Comment by Ainav – April 11, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched the first episode online because of this preview and I love the show – mainly due to Van Der Beek, who’s great as an alternative version of himself.

Comment by kasperfnielsen – April 11, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post