American Idol Top 7 Cover Songs From This Decade: Who Were Your Favorites?

colton dixonSomewhere in a dark, tiny room in the basement of American Idol HQ, Nigel Lythgoe is dusting off a clear plastic box containing a bright red button marked with two words that have the power to divide the Idoloonie Nation: “Judges’ Save.”

Idology: DeAndre Brackensick on Jimmy’s Scorn, Fresh Idol Songs, and a Genius Finale Idea

Now look, I’ve got no inside information that Randy, J.Lo, and Steven will use Season 11 Top 7 Week — focusing on songs from 2010-2012 — to save an ousted contestant (in the tradition of Matt Giraud, “Big Mike” Lynche, and Casey Abrams), but a review of the facts makes it a pretty solid bet. First and foremost, the judges must utilize their veto power before Top 5 Week, which means it’s either tomorrow or next Thursday. (And come on, the idea that they’d pass on the ego gratification and headline-generating buzz of the Save is too silly to entertain.) But perhaps even more importantly, Top 7 night produced one stellar vocal after the next — even the weakest performances were pretty much in tune — to the point where it would almost seem like a terrible buzzkill to cap off the festivities by sending some innocent hopeful to the Idol guillotine.

Anyway, I’ve got a full episode recap to write — look for it on Thursday right here at TVLine.com — but before I do, let me give my pithy opinion of the evening’s performances:

Skylar Laine: Kellie Pickler’s “Didn’t You Know How Much I Love You”
While barrels of fire are typically used on TV to signify “homeless people living under the bridge,” after tonight a part of me will always associate them with Idol‘s country firecracker giving a blazingly emotional, breakout performance. Don’t forget to vote just because she went first, America!

Colton Dixon: Skylar Gray’s “Love the Way You Lie”

Elise & Phillip: Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used to Know”
Not sure what that pre-performance edit was about — cue mental image of Randy being the only person in the audience laughing — but their duet crackled with love-hate tension.

Jessica Sanchez: Jazmine Sullivan’s “Stuttering”
Liked the risky song choice, loved the spot-on vocals, lllluuuuuuuvvvved the silver-and-white striped jacket with crazy collar and shoulders.

Joshua Ledet: Bruno Mars’ “Runaway Baby”
Words can’t express how I felt about Joshua bringing the uptempo funk, so let me use a link to a Patti LaBelle gif instead.

Skylar & Colton: Jason Aldean and Kelly Clarkson’s “Don’t You Wanna Stay”
Agreeing with Randy is about as fun as pointing and jeering at roadkill, but the dawg was right: The not-dating couple fell a little short of the original.

Hollie Cavanagh: Pink’s “Perfect”
I’m not sure if I was unknowlingly influenced by Jimmy (cut to me shopping for a baseball cap, blue leather jacket, and Beats headphones next weekend), but while Hollie definitely improved off her last two efforts, there was something a little bit “talent portion of the pageant” about the performance. But hey, if she goes home tomorrow, at least her dress will have a second chance at success as an Olympic figure-skating costume.

Phillip Phillips: Maroon 5’s “Give a Little More”
Eh.

Hollie, Joshua & Jessica: Kelly Clarkson’s “What Doesn’t Kill You (Stronger)”
That didn’t kill me, but it did give me a strong(er) urge to find the mute button. The musical equivalent of firing 100 paintball pellets at an origami swan.

Elise Testone: Lady Gaga’s “You and I”
Apparently, the judges needed ClearChannel to tell them “You and I” is a good song, since they hated it last year when Haley Reinhart covered it (before it was released by Gaga as a single). (Insert side-eye here.) But while nothing compares to Haley’s rendition (not even Gaga’s), I thought this had some really pretty moments. I just kinda wish Elise had stayed at the piano and kept the arrangement quiet and stripped-down, to differentiate it from the original, y’know?

What did you think of Season 11 Top 7 night? Who’s at risk of going home? And who was your favorite? Sound off in the comments! And for all my Idol news, interviews, and recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Save the Women! (Esp Hollie) They are so much better then the guys this year.

• Sk8er Boi says:

True that, yo! True that. And how asinine for both Jess and Hollie to start off well but end on a less than descent note.

• Lets get this out of the way ,,
        Elise & Phillip: BUTCHERED ,, Somebody That I Used to Know ,
        One of the worst disconnected covers of the song that I have ever heard ,
        This was like one of those moments when a woman wants to take her man to a chick event and he comes on but is so distant and out of it that he will not remember anything that he just did since he was just on auto pilot,
        Anyone get yet how very horrible this cover was ,,,

• Medic says:

I have to say this. BB Chez sucked big time tonight. Her voice was nasal and whiny. She lacked her usual power and faltered and several notes. It appears Colton has started to learn how to close his notes. Hollie hit many notes flat. Elise, Why in god’s name would you cover a Haley Reinhart song that she absolutely slayed last year? Phillip, can you please stop screaming and sing? Joshua, Skylar and Colton were the best performances this week. I must say this again. Elise, Why in god’s name would you cover a Haley Reinhart song that she absolutely slayed last year?

• Tarc says:

Phil sang the melody beautifull tonight on both songs.

• cc says:

@ Joseph, I actually thought Elise gave it her all on the duet. I thought Phillip was a slacker on the duet. But Elise brought some coolness to the show tonight.

• Lee says:

My favorite performance of the night was from Jessica. I liked how she put a jazzy twist to it. I don’t know what that guy is talking about her sounding nasal. Her vocals were spot on (and I could understand every word she sang unlike Joshua who, to me, sounded nasal). Has anyone noticed that JLo never criticizes the guys? Even Heejun–she couldn’t find anything wrong when he sang My Life. Or DeAndre, Phillip, et al. But she can find fault with one of the greatest female singers in AI history: Jessica. It is time for JLo to go.

• Jessica nasal and whiny? Missed notes? Are you tone/pitch deaf?

• jennielyn says:

Have been waiting all season to hear Elise sing “You And I”. She was excellent! Perfect song for her. She is not a Haley Whoever wannabe. She’s far more talented and versatile (HELLO! Led Zepellin!!).

• anna says:

@jennielyn – funny that you should say that elise isn’t a haley reinhart wannabe because she sang led zeppelin…when haley sang zeppelin last year as well! to me, elise has pretty much been pulling a haley all season..and is less likable and isn’t doing as good of a job

• SallyinChicago says:

Sorry but for me, PP is like any other WGWG, he’s just cuter. I always want him to step away from the mike and do a Bruce Springsteen, kick up his heels. At least Joshua does that. He uses the stage…so does Skylar and Jessica.
            I think the top five are Colton, Jess, Skylar, Joshua and maybe Elise.

• jennielyn says:

@anna Sorry I totally forgot and still can’t recall what Zep song Haley sang. Shows how undynamic she was to me. I think the only reason Haley faired better than Elise has been is guys liked her for the way she flaunted herself around the stage. I do also recall Haley was a frequent flier in the bottom 3 as well.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I can’t stand that song but I honestly thought the cover was better than the original. Not only that but the song title *should* be, “Somebody I Used to Know”.

• Nessie says:

Why on should the title be ‘Sombody I Used to Know’ when the song lyrics are ‘Somebody That I Used to Know’?

• darcy's evil twin says:

Because the “that” is unnecessary, but that’s just one of my pet peeves. Songs are full of grammatical errors so it really isn’t a big deal. That could be an entire column – grammatical errors in songs, LOL.

• ajsj says:

totally agree~ HORRIBLE cover!

• McFudge says:

@Darcy: how about grammatical errors by the judges? Too much for one column, I think.

• Owen says:

Please. All three men are better than Hollie. Which isn’t saying Hollie is bad, this is a stellar year, especially since the contestants are all so young.

• Kee says:

Phillip is bombing more than Hollie at this point in the competition. I can agree that Colton and Joshua are outclassing her.

• Owen says:

Hollie has NEVER had that one stellar performance. Phillip has had many. Though he gets pitchy once in awhile, have you heard the flat (not to mention the less offensive sharp) notes that have escaped Hollie’s throat? She has a big ol’ voice which she tries to wield without control. She’ll get there someday, but now she is lesser (I’d even put her below Deandre) than the rest of the contestants.

• Kee says:

A lot of people loved her “All The Man That I Need”. Based on WNTS you’re argument is moot.

• Sk8er Boi says:

Discarding Hollie’s Top 13 and Top 11 performances, aren’t we? They were practically the second best of those weeks. As for P2, for me, he gets lost in the shuffle.

• Ruby says:

Sanest comment in the thread, tbh. This is the absolute truth. The people who are saying she’s great I imagine are people who are tone deaf like the people in the audition rounds who think they’re great singers and are surprised when the judges just laugh at them.

• Kee says:

@Ruby You’re comment is insane, rude, and stupid. If you think Hollie’s voice sucks then listen to Phillip and see who…listens carefully.

• Ladyguard says:

Phillip does the same performance week after week. He has become so boring. The only thing I can remember about his that he insists on wearing grey. His performances are dull and he is dull dull dull

• Ladyguard says:

she is 16 and they are older. I think she has a wonderful voice and it is too bad that she didn’t wait for a couple of years before auditioning.

• Marsaili says:

Hollie is 18. I think the issue with Hollie is that she needs to be in a group or a duo, she’s much more relaxed and sounds wonderful!

• takakupo says:

Hollie is downright Sublime compared to the three men left in the competition. She really showed a lot of soul in her performance tonight. Loved the down to Earth rendition.

• Jo says:

I totally agree I think Hollie is being overlooked and I thought she was AMAZING tonight and I voted a ton! (and I’m a teenage girl who as we know are the main reason p2 is still in but that’s not me I actually vote for who I like not just the cute guys)

• Jon Smoth says:

It’s obvious the powers of Idol don’t want Hollie because she is a threat to the two women they most want to win. All the more reason to vote for her and kick Elize and Jessica to the curb.

• Michael says:

The judges hate Hollie. Her performance lacks but her voice was very, very lovely tonight. I want to pound on Skeletor because he seems to dislike her the most of the three judges.

• Linda says:

Hollie has a beautiful tone to her voice, but she has no soul or passion in her singing. She seems to be so concerned about being note-perfect that she fails to communicate the mood and feeling of the song. IMO she is forgettable as a singer.

• Owen says:

This!

• TiaGata says:

I think I agree with your statement Linda – but that doesn’t negate the fact that she (Hollie) did sound good on AI 4/11/2012, and the judges blatantly threw her under the bus. Steven even forgot his pre-rehearsed speech. As a matter of fact, for me, Hollie’s voice is far better than Skylar’s voice. Skylar is just a big voice that can catch a couple of notes here and there. There is no vibrato to her at all – but oh well, I am not really a musical genius that can hear all “tone” issues, I just know what I hear when I am listening at that moment.

• Gisele Glen says:

I so agree I really want to like hollie but she just seems so emotionally dead she sing beautifully but she bores the hell out of me last night she picked a song that was an anthem and its a little bit sad and a little bit empowering and all it looked like was her singing and not putting any emotion in it. Sorry hollie fans but I think its her time in fact she is overdue I thought for sure she would go home last week.

• SallyinChicago says:

Hollie has a problem with pitch and key at times. That’s what they’re listening for and she doesn’t hit the key on some occasiona.

• Elena says:

I agree that Hollie is definitely the weak link in the girls. I’ll be honest, it was a pretty vocal but I think I was looking at that hot guitar player more than I was paying attention to her during the performance. That’s due to her lack of connection with the songs when she sings which makes them ok but not great. She needs to go tomorrow night. My favorites tonight were Colton (beautiful song), Joshua (amazing!), and Skyler. Elise was good but it kinda sounded similar to Haley’s version last year. It was still good though.

• Ray says:

I really don’t care about last year to compare with this year. Elise was good, very good in my opinion. But I also did like Skyler. Phil and Jessica just don’t turn me on. I am rooting for a female winner this year.

• Lana says:

I think Hollie is the weak link in all the singers. Her voice isn’t bad but it doesn’t stand out like the other girls and so far no one has out sung Joshua, he was killer on his ballads and tonight he showed he could get down and cool with the current songs. He has become my very favorite and I was not expecting that but he knows how to make the most out of his songs and yes he gives me “goosies” every time he sings. I don’t care if he wins, I just care that he makes a CD cause I want it!!. However this season has been a joy to watch because these contestants are great and even the weakest one (Hollie) is great.

• James says:

Hollie is the weakest singer out of the 7. I like Hollie but Jimmy is right, she needs experience. Her range and power are similar to Jessica’s but Jessica has so much more control and connection with the song. You can tell that Jessica has been performing a LOT longer even though they are close in age.

I wish Hollie was cut, like Colton was last year and took a year or two to mature and hone her craft. Look what a difference a year made with Colton.

• TC says:

Josh is better than all the females (except for Jessica). If there is justice, it should be a Josh/Jess finale

• Shana says:

agreed. Forget Philip and Elise, J&J should duet together EVERY week. Last week was insane

• TheBeach says:

We had to be listening to a different trio. Josh, Jessica and Holly were really, really not good. I don’t know where all that gushing from the judges came from. The two duets were far better.

• Shana says:

oh I’m not saying that Philip and elise were bad. They were quite good. and I also agree that the trio tonight was off. But what I meant was that Joshua and Jessica should continue to duet since they were so great last week.

• Tarc says:

Agreed – the trio was just plain bad. Joshua finally picked a song where he wasn’t compltely schreechy, and I’d get on board with Jessica if she’d fic her enunciation (we literally call her Mumbles around here).

• Sk8er Boi says:

Seriously, Tarc, I don’t know what world you live in, but Mumbles? That’s just garbage.

• Bobbi says:

“mumbles” ??? You’re refering to Jessica and NOT Philip? She practically sculpts the words in the air with her punctuation and crisp phrasing. I think the trio had a slight mic problem in the beginning for the girls, the audio had a delay when they walked in from tne stage wings. You can hear the volume come in as they made several steps towards centerstage.

• TC says:

i wasn’t referring to the duets/trio performances. I was referring to individiual performances-which clearly Josh and Jess seem to consistently dominate week after week. However, if you want to talk about duets, Josh and Jess were amazing last week singing together.

• Tarc says:

Hardly. Jessica has entire phrases where you can’t make out a word. Mumbles. Her song was Stuttering this week, and she never actually said the word despite it being in the chorus. The week she did Beyonce, there was an entire line in the chorus that was missing all the consonants. Sorry, but it’s true. And maybe that’s part of the reason she was in dead last this week.

• Leo says:

Totally! But seeing that Jessica starts getting “Haley” treatment? Meh.

• scrutinizer says:

that would be my ideal final 2 as well.

• Princess Adora says:

He isn’t my favorite contestant, but I do believe God has sent us Joshua Ledet to apologize for Jacob Lusk! ;)

• Leila says:

That would be the correct Top 2, but knowing the Idol audience, it may not happen this way.

• Ladyguard says:

that would be so boring

• sam says:

Why are they so incredibly hard on Hollie — she’s amazing and somehow they just don’t give her any love. Colton Rocked, joshua did too — I’m a big fan of philip but he was the worst of the night — of all the maroon 5 songs, he could have picked another one — was this love not in the past few years?

• Owen says:

Yeah, Phillip’s “This Love” would have been really interesting…

• Tarc says:

Hollie (prior to tonight) dressed like a 40 year old businesswoman, and she’s nearly completely blank when she sings. Her voice sounded good tonight, and her song choice was (finally) age-appropriate. She just comes off so… cold. I loved P2’s take on the solo tonight, but I wish he’d stuck with the style he did in the first part for the whole song. People have criticized him for not singing the melody (which he did perfectly tonight), growling all the time (which he didn’t – he sounded great in a normal voice), and for sounding the same (which, for at least the first part, was a significant departure for him).

• DDB says:

“This Love” is almost 10 years old. It was released as a single in 2004.

• Ruby says:

Hollie is not better than any of the remaining boys. But she gave a pretty good performance tonight and the judges were jerks.

• Yo' says:

Yes, they were. And for that reason I don’t think anyone needs to be concerned that Hollie will goo home; people will vote for her.

• MusicGrrrl says:

Everyone is so good this year! I really can’t figure out who should be bottom 3 tomorrow. My personal favorites were Hollie, Phillip and Colton. But I even loved Joshua tonight because he didn’t do the cat coughing up a hairball noise he usually does. I am getting tired of the Elise pimping, though. It was her third time to go last. Give everybody else a chance to have the pimp spot, Nigel!

• takakupo says:

I don’t think anyone’s song meant more to them than Hollie’s. “Made a wrong turn, once or twice. Dug my way out, blood and fire. Bad decisions, that’s all right. Welcome to my silly life. Mistreated, misplaced misunderstood, miss no way it’s all good. It didn’t slow me down.” Seeing her sing, “Mistaken. Always second guessin’, Underestimated, look I’m still around.” With a shrug and a grin and then going into the chorus. That was beautiful.

• Katie says:

I see Idol has taken its anti-women stance to the next level by trying to kill or maim them all with 6″ stilettos. Watch out girls!

• The V says:

Holly was one the best last night, judges psyching audience. A little bullying going on. Tyler probably has a history…. Good on JLO stepping out of the pack. Compared to her trio she shone.

2. Elise for the win tonight! She killed it.I thought she did a nice job moving it away from the original and Haley’s performance last season.
    Randy said that Skylar is back after having one of/if not the best performance of last week? Ok Randy.
    Jessica and Joshua were consistent and great as ever.These are my Top 2, for sure. With Elise right there, as long as she stays consistent.
    Glad that Phillip finally got called out for doing the same shtick every week.
    Colton was decent, but maybe a little boring this time around.
    Hollie is going home tomorrow. I like her but the judges are very much off the Hollie train, and are ready to move on. If she gets eliminated, I sincerly doubt they’d save her.

• FreeHaley says:

Hah, it was funny how she said she was back after they pimped up like mad last week. I guess it just proves that last week was all just abotu saying whatever needed to save her.

• Tarc says:

I don’t think P2 does the ‘same thing’ every week any more than any of the others, and it’s especially odd that they said that on a night when he absolutely didn’t ‘do the same thing’. Jessica’s solo was good, not great (she slurred Stuttering every time to the point where you didn;t know what the title word was). Joshua voice didn;t get irritating 60 seconds into the song for the first time, but their duet was just OK. Colton and Skylar did well for their solos, but the trio wasn’t good. Elise and Phillip did fine, with Phil maybe a little under, but the duet was pretty good. Hollie’s going home despite finally getting her wardrobe issues worked out and doing decently at the song. I’d say: Hillie, Skylar, and Phillip in the bottom, with Phil going right back, and Hollie going home.

• RandomBlahBlah says:

Maybe you should listen to the original version…Jazmine goes “Sssttttsstttstttuttering”…I guess if slurring is part of the whole ensemble, just let it be..

And the mumbles thing? C’mon…seriously?? Too much ear wax dude..*hands tarc a box of Qtips*

• Tarc says:

She took the consonants out of an entire line of Beyonce’s chorus, and she never managed to pronounce the title of this week’s song. My hearing’s just fine, as is the hearing of people all across the country that agree . I’m guessing that’s part of why she was dead last this week.

• Bobbi says:

She doesn’t mumble and it is not catching on. Sorry. :( She may not have gotten the votes last week but it wasn’t due to mumbling. No media critic has even brought that up, and certainly you’d think *one* mentor would say something or *one* of the vocal coaches. This is funny. They say the exact opposite every week.

3. FreeHaley says:

Wow, pretty good night tonight and for the first time in a lonng time the judges didn’t drive me crazy and the show, dare I say, almost seemed honest for once. Lots of good stuff and nothing annoying from judges, in fact, they actually seemed dead on and honest about just about everything this time for once (maybe a little hard on Philip at least compared to how soft they were the other week when he seemed worse, was about the only possible quibble at all). I was just about to tune out, but tonight went well.

• FreeHaley says:

And even the Philip comments were really off, it was more the other week where they were.

Well there was one annoying thing, in how they treated You and I compared to last season- maybe they finally, finally learned their lesson? But it wasn’t directly annoying itself whatsoever, only because it brought back annoying memories of how they were annoying about it last year. But that;s a minor thing compared how they have been.

• Owen says:

No, it was just as dishonest. But this year we AGREE with the pimping for Elise, as opposed to the pimping for ANYONE BUT HALEY last year.. So, Idol fandom 101: Pimping is good when we like the contestant. We are such a hypocritcal bunch…

• FreeHaley says:

yeah but it’s not so bad if you are pimping someone who did well hah, not too mention they have bashed her down rather out of sorts other times, so it’s just evening it back up

• abfidy says:

Yeah I think the overpimping is actually a big part of why I can’t seem to get on Elise’s train. I’m always a little wary of her because I’m trying to make sure I’m forming my own opinions instead of letting the production tell me how I feel.

• FreeHaley says:

Did they pimp her last week? It seemed they did everything against her and to just make sure Skylar came out ahead. This week was like a 180. They anti-pimped her at least as much.

• AncientLyre says:

Well, you could always do what I do. At the end of the performance I hit the mute button until Ryan gives the numbers.

4. Fumi says:

Spot on comments Slezak!

5. Liked Skylar the best. Jessica was great but I am beginning to wonder why she doesn’t sing more mass appeal songs for mass votes. There are diminishing marginal returns to keep proving you are a talented singer. Sing some popular songs for mass votes!! Thought PP was also a bit better than his usual self, but that still only puts him mid-pack. Like that he tried to me more melodic with his singing.

• Sk8er Boi says:

Don’t know if Jess is strategic, but there is some sense with picking lesser-known songs. Heck, even I didn’t know a considerable amount of the songs in the show! It makes it hard to do a comparison, I think.

• Shana says:

i think Jessica’s picking lesser-known songs after the I Will Always Love You backlash she got. I for one, loved it and love her performances every week but there are people who despise her for singing whitney and beyonce as well. Even though she sings just as well as the originals, people criticise her.

• Layla says:

Jessica took a risk with the song choice but she gave such a stunning performance. She did not sound like the original and it dispells the mimic criticisms. Her natural sound truly is a mashup of so many great singers. Also, I think she almost fell off the piano at the end but still held the note! Lol. Joshua received some well deserved praise for the Bruno Mars cover but unlike Jessica’s performance it did not hold up to the original. Especially Bruno’s electrofunky Grammy performance which was ridiculously great!

6. Annie says:

They were all great. This is such a talented cast.

• TheBeach says:

I thought the same. No one really bombed and several were terrific. It’s probably the strongest Top7 across the board that I can remember.

• marie says:

It will be hard to see any of them go home tomorrow – but Slezak has a point, I can easily see the Save used this week. Excellent show – leaves The Voice in the dust this week (this whole season, actually).

• Bobbi says:

Actually believe the judges were told to start giving this “battle” Voice vibe on the duets feedback. Which is what many people hate the most about the Voice. Rarely do you hear a song sung well. If Jessica had tried to out sing Josha in that trio itwould have been a worse mess, espevially for Hollie. Same with Philip and Colton, they all did the right tonight by trying to sound great first instead of trying to outdo the other singer on the stage.

• MusicGrrrl says:

I don’t think they should do duets and trios myself. Let the contestants have more time to sing their solos! But if they have to have duets and trios, the judges should be forbidden to comment on them. They should be for entertainment only. No one should “win” a duet or trio.

• marie says:

I am all for the duets and trios, because more time spent singing = less time spent on fluff. Personally, I’m ok with the judges commenting on them.

• Jaxguy says:

The Voice took a long drop from last year. Like falling off the Empire State Building. Although I do like two or 3 singers. AI talent this year is the best top seven ever. That’s the only reason I’m watching this year.

7. Tnh5 says:

I said the same thing about Elise’s performance. Last year the judges were all bad song, bad song choice, bad Haley and this year it’s a moment. I’m not taking anything away from Elise because that performance was pretty terrific, but I wanted to throw something at my television.

• Amy says:

Elise’s was good, but all I kept thinking is that Haley did it better and her version was more original. Though I thought Elise was good.

• Karrie says:

I loved, loved, loved Haley’s version last year but Elise can sing AND prononunce her words; I’ve never understood some of the words in the song until Elsie sang it! Go Elise, she is hands down my favorite this year as I love her voice… and this is coming from someone who said that she should’nt have sang that song just because she’d be compared to Haley.

• FreeHaley says:

Yeah, it did bring back annoying memories, but at least they didn’t repeat the sin. That really would’ve been annoying.

• Jaxguy says:

I like Elise. I really do, but Haley was a special talent. Her new song Free is better than I expected because they didn’t bury her voice with the production. She is a really good singer. I also re-listened to some of her stuff from last year and she would hold up quite well this season and I truly believe without the horrible treatment from the judges she would have then and now made at least the finale.The judges are definitively pimping Joshua for the finale, but I HOPE a girl wins this year. Not for equality sake, but because I believe a girl is the best singer this year.

8. StereoptypicalSuzie says:

Lady Gaga’s version of “You and I” is the best. Hands down. Yes, even better than Haley’s. Sorry.

• Kee says:

Are people nuts that the Lady Gaga version is the version in her BTW album? Hell no. THE REAL VERSION is the version she sings in concerts (while playing the piano). I loved both Haley’s and Elise’s though.

• StereoptypicalSuzie says:

I’m confused. I don’t know whether you’re agreeing with me or not.

But, I’ll just say that I have been a fan of “You and I” since Gaga premiered it for the first time on television when she performed it on “The Today Show” in the Summer of 2010. THAT “LIVE” VERSION was the only version I knew when Haley performed beautifully on American Idol. And at that time (And still now) I believed that Haley did a great time singing it, but it was not on the level of the lady who wrote and sort-of-produced it.

Bottom line: 1) Gaga 2) Haley 3) Elise

I happen to be a fan of ALL THREE! And I was elated that Elise sang one of my FAVORITE songs EVER! I nearly caught the “SPIRIT”! Haha!

• Kee says:

I’m just ranting that Slezak disses BTW’s “You and I” and thinks that it’s the original version. I loved the BTW version, and if he (Slezak) is OK with Nikki Minaj’s outre brand of ridiculata (quoting him), then he should be fine with BTW’s “You and I”.

• Jaxguy says:

Don’t lose the fact that he LIKES all 3 versions. But since I’ve never seen GaGa live and can only compare the record I have to agree with Michael. Haley’s version of the 3 I speak of was my favorite.

• Kee says:

*Continuation* And yeah, it all started when she sang it in The Today Show. Seriously, You and I is one of Lady Gaga’s best songs.

• StereotypicalSuzie says:

Yes! Agreed! I am in LOVE with both the album and the live versions. I will (since you seem to be reluctant) say that it is my FAVORITE Lady Gaga song and one of her TOP 3 tracks.

• Shana says:

I also really like the glee mash-up (don’t hate :p). Idina Menzel singing You and I was different… but good different. Apples and oranges with Haley’s, Gaga’s and Elise’s versions of course.

9. I loved Elise tonight, by far the best. It may not hav been perfect, but I loved her gritty, passionate, and rough around the edges version. Look, I adore Haley Reinhart, but I much prefer Elise’s over hers.

Besides, they are both great, why even compare them?

As for everyone else, I enjoyed Skylar and Colton tonight. Jessica was the same as always in my book. She’s solid, but has been coasting the past few weeks. Phillip had a lackluster night. First, he was outsang by Elise, then he gives another ho-hum performance.

Hollie, well…her time is up.

Joshua was great too.

• Kee says:

Both versions are different. While Haley is all about taking risks and giving a fantastic vocal firepower, Elise was more of genuine authenticity and she showed her musicianship in that performance.

• Sk8er Boi says:

Authenticity and musicianship? More like a rather contrived take that left a rather unsatisfying taste.

• Kee says:

How can you say that Elise is contrived? Have you listened to her past performance? Have you listened to the bombastic BTW version? Hers was quite different to Gaga’s piano version.

• Jaxguy says:

I think the only reason anyone thinks Jessica is coasting is because EVERY performance has been superb. Josh had a dip and so has everyone else. Jess is the only contestant that hasn’t. That’s not coasting, it’s consistency.

10. k. says:

I thought it was an incredible night
    My Bottom 3 (from worst to best)
    Phillip
    Hollie
    Jessica (don’t throw anything, she was awesome but everyone was on their game tonight)
    (another side note, she made me discover Jazmine Sullivan…who is awesome)
    Top 3
    Joshua
    Colton (the first time I really loved his vocal)
    Skylar

I think Hollie is a goner.

• Josie says:

Agree with this assessment 100%.

• TheBeach says:

I was so glad that Joshua sang an upbeat song tonight instead of his usual gospel “holleratin’ ” (Slezak) He seemed very much in a Sam and Dave groove and I enjoyed it. Also, aside from a few weird enunciations, I really liked Colton tonight. I had never heard the whole song before, just the Rhianna sample on Eminem’s hit. I thought Hollie was better than she has been in weeks.

11. chattycat says:

If Holly is cut, the judges won’t use their save. They are saving it for Elise-she’s great but female and “old” for idol voters.

12. Amy says:

Questions we didnt know we had:
    1) Electrical tape is now a fashion style, J-Lo?
    2) Phillip and Elise have a lot of contempt for each other?
    3) Why didnt Jessica deserve a standing ovation with as low as the bar was set in previous weeks, and why is she only “almost to the Joshua level”? J-Lo would implode with jealousy if a woman won Idol.
    4) Joshua and Hollie need a room?
    … and Ryan, with a theme like “music in the last 2 years”, Joshua isn’t the only one going “super current”… seriously.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

If Joshua and Hollie got a room, I’m pretty sure they would use it to eat ice cream, watch scary movies, and gossip. That’s all I’m saying. They were incredibly adorable together, though.
      Now if Elise and Phillip got a room, they might make angry love.

• Jane says:

You made me laugh!! I don’t think Josh is gonna get that go-go dancers number either.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I’m not sure if this is just me bringing my pre-conceived notions into the show, but I guffawed a bit when Joshua started to sing about “eager young bunnies that [he'd] like to pursue.” Whatever you say, Josh.
          I liked his performance a lot, but the melody, not to mention the lyrics, were a bit more constricting than his last (very successful) attempt at uptempo, I Wish. Also, I was getting a bit distracted by his dancing this time around. What was with that leg spladdle move he kept pulling? It looked uncomfortable. Still, it was a fun, hard-driving performance that I sincerely enjoyed.

• Tarc says:

*snickers* Only if they were male bunnies (and I say that with love as a gay man myself). I loved Joshua tonight (for the first time). The Bruno Mars song kept the ugly harshness out of his voice (well, until the end when he pushed too hard). I think Elise and Phillip are just friends – I think she’s too brash to be Phillip’s type.

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

Yes, those youngsters are adorable, and your assessment is not all that inaccurate. Joshua and Hollie and Jessica would have a slumber party, Phillip and Elise might “get it on,” and Colton and Skylar could study Bible verses together. This is such great writing material!

• Shana says:

lol you guys are nearly crossing over into fan fiction territory….
          but yes, Joshua and Hollie are adorable bffs, let’s leave it at that.

• NedPepper says:

People write “fan fiction” about real contestants on a reality show? I’m an open-minded dude, but that’s weird.

• Shana says:

they do. Apparently, it stems from the bromances (as well as imagined pairings). I heard it was especially popular during Adam Lambert and Kris Allen’s season :/
            I stumbled onto a “kradam” fic once and became scarred for life lol.

• lydiakj says:

This made me laugh so hard. Perfect assessment. Adorable that they want us to believe Joshua will be asking that go-go dancer for anything other than make up tips.

• cip says:

word on the street is that Josh is very much heterosexual, don’t like his mannerisms fool you

• AncientLyre says:

Oh please, he’s Johnny Mathis part 2. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

• HudsonRiverside says:

Hilarious!

• Joan says:

Oh PLEASE. Was JLO jealous of Colton when she said Skylar was better? Was she jealous of Phillip when she criticized him tonight? MY GOD. JLO WANTS A GIRL TO WIN. GET OVER IT.

13. Lauren says:

I think they would save anyone but Hollie at this point. The silence from the studio audience when the judges criticized her pretty much says it all.

• StereoptypicalSuzie says:

Agreed. Even though I was watching alone, the silence made me feel extremely uncomfortable in the “comfort” of my own bedroom.

• J says:

I was stunned as well as others in my house. We couldn’t believe the inane criticisms.

• ladyhelix says:

I’m not sure they’d save Phillip… and a few minutes ago he was trailing Holly in the USA Today poll (Holly had 10% – Phillip had 5%).

• Tarc says:

Pffft. Mark my words… the tweener girls won’t let Phillip go. He might be in the bottom three, but he’s never going to be in the bottom. If he was, they’d save him. They have to use it this year anyway – they have an extra week to fill because of the double elim with the disqualification.

• Sk8er Boi says:

Wanna ask how that worked out for DeAndre, Stefano, Casey James, Turban and Archie, to name a few? Just sayin’.

• AncientLyre says:

P2 is dumber than a bag of hammers and has the charisma of a tree stump. Teen girls are keeping him in the game. Stupid.

• Marsaili says:

Well, this old hag with decades of music experience happens to like P2 and I disagree with your assessment of his personality. I think he’s quiet and reserved but often goofy. But when he sings, it all disappears!

• Elizabeth says:

P2 is not dumb by any means. He’s simply a quiet dude that releases his emotions in the songs he sings. Posting ridiculous mean comments about someone has adverse effects on a person’s self esteem. P2 is a southern guy that is charming and that’s one of the reasons that girls love him! I think Elise is awesome. Love her voice and song choices. I was amazed at her Led Zepplin song. It was a great performance. I agree that Hollie will probably the one going home. Her personality came out when she was in the trio song with her BFF Joshua but singing alone, I think, scares the crap out of her. Just my opinions…hope they ALL get recording contracts!

• Tarc says:

Since you really have no idea at all about the guy, why are you pretending to? He seems pretty bright to me – quite deftly resisting most of the attempts of the Idol machine to twist him around. Top 3 again this week.

• Amy says:

i see it as, silence = not booing… it seems to me that the studio audience is actually in agreement with the negative comments. if it was phillip getting negative comments the studio would erupt

14. Cyndi says:

The judges were crazy…Personally I think Elise had the worst performance of the night…Idol pimping at its best

• Sk8er Boi says:

Not so much worse, but rather underwhelming. They gave her the pimp spot for THAT? Really?! Haley’s was full blast while Elise lacked that from her Lady Gaga take.

• Ana Muti says:

Totally dissagree. I think Elise has the most unusual and interesing voice in the bunch. And I’m not sure the “pimp spot” meme is accurate. They take turns going first, second, etc. I have a feeling they probably draw lots. The spot isn’t saved for whoever the producer thinks is the best.

• kim says:

She’s had the pimp slot at least three times this season

• MusicGrrrl says:

She HAS had the pimp spot three times already, and I just don’t get it. She has an interesting voice, but in a season full of great singers, that pimp spot should be given to everyone at least once.

• Ana Muti says:

I think it would be interesting to hear from the producers whether they assign slots or if it’s by drawing straws. I don’t think the producers are all that interested in Elise, so if they’re assigning singing order it wouldn’t make sense to give her the “pimp spot.”…Unless they’re running an end game to make people dislike her more, thus promoting by default either Josh or Jess.

15. FreeHaley says:

Elise was pretty awesome!

And pretty wild but I just found out she grew up only two miles from where I did, we must’ve been practically neighbors for like twenty years, at least. She was through the big woods and over the border though so in a different school system and circle though so, obviously, she was not anyone I ever knew, although perhaps we passed each other in the mall once or twice, who knows.

16. Christina says:

Loved Elise, Skylar, and Joshua. Jessica technically was great but I couldn’t get into her song. If I had to choose a person to beat right now it would J

• Christina says:

Oops accidently hit the reply button! I meant to say my hands down pick as the front runner would be Joshua.

• cip says:

yep. Joshua is consistently AMAZING week after week, and his stage presence is so crazy good. It’s almost as if he’s a completely different person once he’s performing. My personal fave!

• Shana says:

Joshua definitely deserves all of the praise. He consistently puts in a 100% effort. As much as I also love Jessica she’s not giving it her best shot everry week. It’s never too late to correct that though!

• RandomBlahBlah says:

American Idol is a serious business investment by Fox, 19, IMG, Coke and Ford. That said, Joshua as awesome and as talented a singer he is….(I’m gonna get stoned to death by saying this) He’s not marketable. He’ll be great in vegas but not in mainstream.

17. Miscellaneopolan says:

I always liked Skylar, but up to this point she never gave my favorite performance of the night. But this was great. She displayed all of that passionate energy she’s known for but did it without running around the stage like a maniac. And I loved seeing her play a guitar.
    Hollie was probably the weakest of the bunch; she was slightly off-pitch for a lot of the song, but she finished strong. And she sounded really good in her trio, maybe even better than Jessica. What’s with that? Colton was alright but kind of forgettable. And is it just me or was he lit very strangely? Way too dark.
    As far as upbeat Joshua performances go, I think I prefer I Wish, but Runaway Baby was definitely entertaining. Most awkward moment of the night: not three seconds had passed since Joshua identified himself as a small-town boy and Jimmy calls him an “urban” singer who appeals to the “urban” market. I think we all know what he meant by that.
    Jessica continues to slay it. I love her soul, I love her control, and it looks more and more like she’s gonna win.
    I actually liked this Phillip performance better than any of his since Hard to Handle. He toned down the crazy faces and did a few tricks with his voice I didn’t know he could do. It was surprising to see the judges finally come down on him for doing the same kind of performance over and over; considering how silent they’ve been up to now I figured that’s what they loved about him. His duet with Elise was interesting but the two have very little on-stage chemistry. Not sure what Slezak is talking about.
    Elise didn’t kill me quite like I hoped she would, but I thought she did a very solid job with You and I and I’m happy that she didn’t play the drums. The piano was a better choice. Lots of instruments tonight.
    Joshua and Hollie were adorable together. Where on EARTH are people getting the idea that Skylar and Colton are dating? I can’t imagine a more mismatched couple and am beginning to believe the rumor was started by producers just so they could have cute filler.

• StereoptypicalSuzie says:

Lol. Skylar looks like SHE’D be the abuser in a relationship between Colton and she.

• Sandi says:

LOL. Nobody ever thought they were dating but Idol needs to generate a buzz so they’ll keep telling us that they’re just friends – wink, wink – until we’re convinced that they’re madly in love.

• Shana says:

I agree about the lack of philip/elise chemistry. It seemed more like a sibling thing. Elise was the older sister who triumphed over her little brother type of thing … i don’t know, just me?

18. Mike says:

3rd pimp spot in 8 weeks for Elise plus a movie star comes on to wish her luck. They really need to stop trying to make her happen and just let it play out.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I liked her performance, but yeah, it wasn’t worth the pimp slot. Both Jessica and Joshua sung better than her and neither of them had ever gone last. I want her to get to the top 5 as much as anyone, but the favoritism is kind of becoming blatant.

• Shana says:

it baffles me that the two best singers haven’t got the pimp spot yet!

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Well, they both had very memorable second-to-last place showings that might as well have been pimp slot performances. I mean, when you think back on top 11 week, do you think of Joshua’s amazing version of When a Man Loves a Woman or Hollie’s lackluster rendition or Some Song I Don’t Even Remember?

• just sayin says:

• kim says:

Jessica got the pimp slot for I will always love you ,didn’t she?

• HudsonRiverside says:

At least Jessica gets so much love from the established singers in the biz based on her mentoring sessions and on Twitter. I doubt Jessica would trade the comedic actor trying to pimp his new film on Idol for the praise she has received from Adam Lambert, Haley Reinhart, Akon, Mary J, Diddy and Jennifer Hudson.

• Marianne says:

Don’t forget Joshua’s dad’s invitation to come on stage. I guess I get that Joshua is a good singer. I just don’t care for his singing style, and I thought Jessica deserved a standing “o” as much as Joshua.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I really enjoyed Joshua’s performance, but I didn’t think it was worth a standing ovation and was so hoping one wouldn’t happen. Then Randy has to ruin it…
        Joshua’s dad coming up on stage was pretty funny. I don’t think they counted on him walking… that… slowly…………

• TheBeach says:

Joshua was very good tonight but Randy jumping up and then prodding the other two to stand up was worthy of a big ol’ eye-roll. I thought Jessica sang really well tonight but I was totally unfamiliar with her song. She gets a lot of criticism for mimicking other artists but I have no idea if this was the case tonight. Are you familiar with her song choice?

• iamraven07 says:

Jessica gave the Jazmin Sullivan song, Stutterin’ a different kind of flavor which I really love. Of course, since she’s a female and 16 years old, she can’t be given the “Artistry” title that they usually give to Colton and P-squared.

• Jaxguy says:

I get the Josh standing O, but I don’t get the lack of one for Jessica, who was just as great. Great choice to take a risk which paid off in spades. She proved she has versatility. She IS a brilliant vocalist. And everyone, yes she is young, but some insanely great stars were brilliant at a very early age. Although many here will probably disagree, Barbra Streisand was unbelievable when she was a teenager and look what happened for her. (Not to mention Judy Garland, another brilliant singer younger than Jessica when she was turning heads with her voice in the 30’s.) Soime of you are too young to remember but age doesn’t always equal talent.

• just sayin says:

Mike…Ryan told Elise on the show that he called up Jason Segal to do that. That was from Ryan.

• MusicGrrrl says:

Just sayin, Ryan says the lines that are written for him to say and do what the producers tell him to do. He did not on hisnown just call the actor and ask him about Elise. Every single thing on Idol is carefully planned and nothing is done without the approval of the producers.

19. Rick says:

Hollie or Elise is going home most likely :(

20. J says:

I thought everyone was great. Joshua was so good. I looooooooooved that performance.

Colton was so good. Loved it. My gals were awesome. I agree with you Michael. Phillip was just meh. Not bad.

Hollie was harshly criticized again by the judges. This was actually her best performance IMO. Man, I dislike when the judges unnecessarily criticizes someone just for the sake of throwing them out of the competition. Ugh.

21. R. Duncan says:

If Hollie goes home the judges will NOT use the save. If it is anyone BUT her they will use it. As for the Philip v Colton war.. it is true they are most likely splitting votes but I have to say while I like Phillip’s style, I am so BORED of the same ‘ol, same ‘ol each and every week and worse part about it, he doesn’t really seem to care to do or TRY anything other than what he has already done 12 times before.

• E says:

^^^^^THIS!!

• TheBeach says:

I really liked the first part of P2’s song when it was just him and his guitar. But when everything kicked in it seemed to go back to the same of shtick.

• Leila says:

I think the only ones they’d save would be Joshua, Jessica and Colton. They have been consistently getting praise from the judges and the most amount of popular votes.

22. FreeHaley says:

Lots of good. Elise brought it (twice)! Colton really upped it. Jessica seemed like a real artist finally. I’m not, at all, a Sklyar fan, don’t like her style at all, but even I have to admit she sang well this week.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

If Skylar had performed later in the evening she would have gotten a standing ovation. That was good stuff.

• TheBeach says:

I was a bit afraid when she said she was singing a Kelly Pickler song that she might be making a mistake. It wasn’t a crossover hit and wouldn’t be known by voters who don’t listen to country, but my fears were for naught…she killed it.

23. Scrambled says:

I have been waiting for your post for an hour so I could type in the following comment (and you stole my thunder!!)

Elise was great tonight, but it is still 1) Haley 2) Gaga and 3) Elise.

• StereoptypicalSuzie says:

1)Gaga 2)Haley 3)Elise
      Simple! :)

• Scrambled says:

:) well her appearance on Oprah was a pretty awesome version of it but Haley is the one that made me fall in love with the song so her bar is very high!

• StereoptypicalSuzie says:

I agree that Haley is extremely talented. Have you heard the studio version of “Free” yet? It’s been on a steady repeat ever since I first got my hands on it! She is a true talent. :D

• iamraven07 says:

I have the same feeling right over here. Her single, Free, has been repeating non-stop on my laptop every single day for more than 20 times in a row. It’s just out of the box REAL music. Outstanding.

• scrambled says:

Is it better than the one on youtube that she is singing for some radio function? Cause that is the one i listen to over and over!!

24. MariaPompeo says:

You really have it in for Phillip – His version of Give a Little More is better than the original.

• Sk8er Boi says:

To be fair, Slezak liked P2. As for the performance, it was one of his better ones, but it just felt a tad antiseptic.

25. FreeHaley says:

“Colton Dixon: Skylar Gray’s “Love the Way You Lie”
    Call me crazy, but tonight marked the first time I’ve been as excited (more excited?) about Season 11 Colton as I was about Season 10 Colton. So how come the judges were so muted about this sublime, subtle performance?”

Maybe because they were truth telling for once. Pitch was all over the place, rough on the ears and it just wasn’t anything special.

• FreeHaley says:

brain freeze, delete my above comment, I jsut quickly saw “Colton” and “Sklyar” and then jumped to your comment and thought it referred to their duet haha. His single was great (and hers was pretty good I have to admit). But their duet was bad.

• FreeHaley says:

I actually do agree with pretty much all your comments other than I thought Hollie, Joshua & Jessica trio was really good and you hated it.

26. A says:

Hollie’s mom sounds just like Sporty Spice!

• StereoptypicalSuzie says:

Interesting. I had mentioned to myself during Hollie’s performance tonight that she sort of resembles Emma Bunton (AKA “Baby Spice”)! ;)

• Sk8er Boi says:

Yup, I love me some Baby Spice Deux! And screw those asshat judges for putting Hollie down for one of her better performances!

27. Michael K says:

I totally called the judges response to Elise on You and I tonight (even tweeted you about it preshow Slezak). I guess it goes to show just how scripted this while thing is. Oh well, at least Elise killed it as usual.

I’m also really happy I wasn’t the only one who thought the Hollie/Jessica/Joshua trio was kind of a train wreck.

Looking forward to Idology this week!

28. paisley says:

Michael it is so ironic how Haley Reinhart’s version was gigantic such a cold review by the three stooges/judges last year, but Elise’s okay cover was touted as a success. Really? I agree with you, Michael, Haley sang it better than Gaga,herself — how self-indulgent of Elise (really Jimmy Iovine) to cover that tonight. Elise did nothing to improve that song. I think Hollie and Phillip were meh compared to the others and they should be in the bottom 2. At least Hollie and Phillip were properly critiqued. This will be a tough elination/ save.

• Kee says:

Haley’s was not even different to the BTW/Piano version of You and I as well. :|

• MusicGrrrl says:

Many people, myself included, never felt an ounce of sincerity from any performance by Haley last year. She always sounded like a 12 year old trying to pretend to have adult emotions and feelings. She would throw that fake growl in her songs and that oh so sexy grin, just like the little girls on Toddlers and Tiaras. She never put any true raw emotion into her performances.

• Marsaili says:

Wow, many people, including myself, got the complete opposite from Haley last year. Thank goodness they were in the majority—otherwise Haley certainly wouldn’t have gotten to 3rd place.

• Kaynien81 says:

There were definitely performances from Haley last year that didn’t connect, but the performances she did connect with were stellar, i.e. Bennie and the Jets, I Who Have Nothing, House of the Rising Sun, You and I, and What Is and Should Never Be. The ‘problem’ with Haley is that Randy and JLo seemed to treat her like she was crashing a party she wasn’t invited to. You can tell the judges choose favorites early in the audition process. Last year with Haley, and again with Elise to a point this year, two of the three judges seem to have latched on to other contestants.

29. JVC says:

I’m with you Slezak on Philip’s performance, “eh”. Honestly anyone of them can be saved. I think the only one who won’t go home is elise, even if she ends up in the bottom 3 because she got the pimp spot. I just hope philip doesn’t get the lowest cause i feel like the judges will instantly save him. I haven’t been getting philip all season, and I’m hoping he doesn’t win. Colton was at his best tonight and thank goodness Joshua went up tempo again. Overall, it is too hard to predict who will be in the bottom 3. Hollie might end up getting the lowest, cause it seems like her days are numbered. All in all, a solid night of performances. Jessica was the best hands down.

30. jaxguy says:

I’m going with Jessica. Absolutely sublime vocals.
    I really like Jennifer. She’s gorgeous, but why mention Joshua? As usual the judging lacks a lot.
    I guess if Joshua took a big crap on the stage he would get a standing ovation.
    For the record, although he is a very good singer, Joshua doesn’t sing better just louder.
    The bottom for me was Phillip. Mediocre at best.
    I’m gonna give Elise 2nd place, Joshua 3rd and Colton 4th. Skylar was very good and Hollie was good.
    I just don’t like that Jessica is now getting the Haley treatment. And I hate that they are pimping Joshua.
    I hope it backfires this year.

• noa says:

agreed! and they talked about how Jessica can get new fans on Idology last week. this is how! i wasn’t really a fan until this week. she was amazing. they should have given her a standing O.

• RandomBlahBlah says:

I’d love to see the face of Joshua when its his turn to exit the stage..and Jessica still in it to win it..I think anyone can sense there’s this tension rooting from the inside..Joshua loathes Jessica and vice versa..

They should have cams inside the mansion so we can pay witness to any cat fight.

If American Idol is a screeching distorted facial expression praise thee alleluia contest, then hands down, the crown goes to her majesty the queen Joshua.

All pun aside, sooner or later one of these 2 contestants is gonna burn.

May the best non-white contestant win. Boo-yah!

31. Sandi says:

I found the whole Jimmy: Colton vs. Phil Phil – Who do the girls like better thing quite insulting to both of them and to females in general. I really don’t think “girls” are so superficial that they’re voting based on who of them are better looking. And I think it’s unfair to diminish both guys as just pretty faces.

As for the performances – I’m just not as impressed as I’m supposed to be with Elise and Joshua and I’m honestly getting a bit sick of Joshua’s ubiquitious standing Os. Especially following a phenominal performance by Jessica…Where was her standing O?

Bottom 3 – Hollie, Phil Phil, Elise (?)

• Balls says:

Well, Jessica is getting boring unfortunately. She’s got awesome vocals, but just same old same old.

• Tarc says:

For me, Jessica mumbles and Joshua’s voice (though not tonight) gets irritating after about 60 seconds. I’d take Phil, Colton, and Elise over them anytime. Hollie’s going home tomorrow, no doubt.

• Jaxguy says:

Here we go with the boring crap. HATE that. It’s so “cop out” for me. What do you want a singer to do for it not to be boring for you, Balls.
        And Tarc you need to have your sound checked on your TV, I understand every word she sings. I like Josh. Not my favorite but it was tonight’s performance that I felt just seemed loud after 60 seconds. Phil makes EVERY song sound the same and the grimace is horrible. He seems nice but can’t get into him.

• Tarc says:

Yeah… that’s why Jessica had to be saved. A dozen people on my FB were discussing hiw she mumbles, and I agree. She never pronounced a single Stuttering this week, and there were entire lines of the Beyonce song that had no consonants. Sorry, deal with it.

32. Christina says:

Eh is exactly how I feel about Phillip. He has done the same thing every week and frankly it’s gotten boring. He needs to be in the bottom 3 tomorrow to shake him up. I think Hollie and Elise will be bottom with him . Hollie has to be toast though. Her presence on the show is getting into the awkward category. Her judges critique was uncomfortable to watch tonight.

33. Jane says:

Elise was great, but Haley killed that song last year. As far as the duets, why are they sticking to the same groups? Philip and Elise have zero chemistry and I get the feeling Elise would rather duet with Mr. Seacrest. Phillip hardly looks at her when they sing together. I liked Colton tonight too. I still don’t see the Skylar love. She screamed that song and despite what the judges say, every note wasn’t on pitch. Poor Hollie, they all but said “it’s your week to go home, but feel better about it since your vocal was better than last week.”

• Kelly says:

i think p2 thinks elise is annoying and i kinda agree. liked her before not so much anymore

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I feel like pairing up Elise with Phillip really SHOULD work, since their voices are well-matched musically, but I agree that they have very little chemistry, both last week and this week. Elise and Skylar should switch duet partners; maybe that’ll shake things up.

• Elizabeth says:

Phillip hardly looked at Elise because he’s bashful. Geez, give the guy a break! Its hard enough to work on your songs to be right and then they get criticized for no chemistry or no eye contact. Hollie seems to have a self esteem problem. As they go along, they will get more comfortable and experienced to be that “star” that everyone’s looking for, but give them some time! The judges or whoever is pairing these contestants together should switch it up though.

34. llws says:

I honestly find the judges to be quite bias. They are pitting Hollie vs. Jessica and constantly measure what Hollie does up against the “professional, wise beyond her years” Jessica. I whole heartedly agree that Jessica has an amazing voice, but I feel like there is nothin Hollie can do that satisfies them. After tonight’s performance, Ryan asked how she was doing…she said she spent her whole time trying not to mess up. How else is she supposed to channel “emotion” when the judges haven’t given her anything constructive over the past couple of weeks. I think it’s just a bit unfair to her, she has an amazing vocal. The judges and Jimmy complain she needs guidance…wtf is Jimmy for….you ARE there to guide and help her…do your damn job!!! I hope Hollie stays….I can do without Elise!

• teatime says:

The judges are just aweful.

• kim says:

Even jimmy and akin were undermining hollie — telling her that she needs life experience — what kind of advice is that?!!!! Jimmy is just not doing right by hollie — he should be helping her.

• Jaxguy says:

Hollie is not my favorite but she has a beautiful voice. The judges are on the ‘let’s get Hollie,” train. Phillip was WAY WAY worse than Hollie. I actually thought Hollie was good last night. She deserves some recognition after she is booted.

• Elizabeth says:

I agree, they all made it to be on Idol, now help them be one! No bias, just help each one the same. Build up their confidence and they will shine!

35. dilia says:

COLTON!!!!!!! <3
    but everyone was good except "stronger" *shudder shudder*

36. ladyhelix says:

Holly’s arms are very stiff and her hand gestures look practiced or self conscious – that makes it feel “Pagenty” for me. I was thinking while she sang if she’d have strolled, swang her arms, gestured casually, and maybe even offered an authentic facial expression – it would have been a completely different performance. It’s nothing that age and life experience won’t overcome – but probably not in time to make the finale.

BTW – a few minute ago USA Today’s “who was your favorite” poll – Holly had 10% of the vote and PP had 5%.

• StereoptypicalSuzie says:

You need to check the “Older, Lonely Housewives who make up the majority of the demographic that watch this show” poll. Haha! I joke! ;P

• llws says:

What are you talking about?? Strolling around, swinging her arms, and offering an authentic facial expression? Give me a break. Even though J.LO had a backhanded comment, she noted that Hollie was fighting (e.g. she brought her emotion to the table). Hollie is NOT Jessica…and that doesn’t make her any less marketable…I think what’s at Hollie’s crossroad right now is nothing she can do will impress the judges, if she sings with emotion they will say the song is not right for her, if she technically sings a song right they will say they didn’t feel her emotion. I think right now she’s in a bit of zone where nothing she does is good enough (Jessica good enough). Randy already said earlier in the season that vocally it is between Jessica and Hollie. The judges have chosen thier fav.

37. Chris says:

Was it just me or did we see Jimmy attempt to be a better mentor this week? I mean he’s still diabolical but I kinds enjoyed the can of Phillip you need to beat Colton, Colton you need to beat Phillip. There ya go Michael. You got your notice from his previous Jessica verses Hollie critique.

Can we retire Randy from the show?

Skylar: I liked it. I am glad she played her guitar finally. I didn’t see anything ‘unique’ this time as far as voice and presence. The barrels of fire were…interesting? She’s a really good performer and I still feel like I’d go see her as an opener until she gets some miles under those toes. I loved Akon’s reaction to her.

Colton: I liked it and him for the first time this season. I actually felt like he probably had the best arrangement of the night (total string lover here… slays me). He carried his ‘moment’ well (good job Jimmy). Lovely arrangement – props. I am actually going to vote some for you (not that you need it, yet).
    Elise/Phillip duet – liked Elise. This is not a song I am ready to hear done by anyone else.
    Jessica (aka BB Chez): She is just a star, “legend” in the making according to Akon (I agree thought that’s a long time in the making). She was in her wheel house tonight. Do do da do da dooooooooooooo…… A fine student she is. (Have NO idea where Jennifer was going with her critique/comparison telling her to do Joshua? Huh? Silly JLo, just silly to think Jessica’s performances have less impact than Joshua’s.)
    Joshua: LOVED SEEING FANTASIA!!!! LOVE HER. To borrow AGAIN from a CeeLo judging comment from The Voice, “Too fresh. Can’t help but compare”. When I found out he was doing this song I thought… ok… I can see this as long as he puts as much FUN and dance behind it as Bruno. Fell short for me (didn’t like the Ledet stamp and it could have been the best of the night). Sorry J  A good attempt at a funky performance without a lot of funk (I Wish was much better). And what was with the standing O? Randy had to queue it…so funny. It’s ok if you want to stand Randy but Jennifer and Steven you don’t HAVE to.
    Colton & Sklyar duet – Pass (why are the judges ‘judging’ duets? I thought they were for fun??? Nigel??
    Hollie: I just wish I could have 10 minutes with you because I’d tell it to you straight because that is the only way you are going to apparently HEAR what you need to hear. You have a beautiful voice and I like that you sand this song and the acoustic feel, but you missed the feeling to deliver again. Oh Hollie, such a big voice, such little time…. “We’ll see how it all pans out”. JLo you suck. What kind of constructive criticism is that??? I am glad the audience did fall quiet – they knew what was coming and they wanted each of you to feel the moment with them. Booya!
    Phillip: The only thing I have to say is thank goodness Jennifer and Randy FINALLY told him what I have been thinking since the second week of this competition and for AKON who I know said more and it got edited out. Change or show some kind of growth from growling performances. Nice Steven… “melody is showing up”. Props to Randy though, “if you want a record on the radio:” HA! Best Randy critique EVER.
    Elise: I’m not a big GAGA fan, nor do I really care for this song. I enjoyed her vocals but it’s not a song I hope she’d publish as far as what’s to come from her. I don’t know why Jimmy keeps pushing this song…

• Tarc says:

Phillip sang the whole duet and more than the first third of his solo tonight in a regular voice. He also stuck very close to the melody. The arrangement was also not the same tonight, so he’s addressed all three of the criticisms that have been leveled at him this week. He gets kudos from me, and I liked the song a lot (though four of the others were indeed better).

• TheBeach says:

+100 on “Can we retire Randy from the show”

38. Angela says:

Jessica and Colton were the top ones of the night for me. I thought they sounded great on their songs, Colton in particular. And I did like Hollie, too, and agreed with Randy (!) that Elise was stronger on the Gotye duet (though personally overall I liked the Skylar and Colton duet better of the two-and I like the Gotye song better than I do the Jason/Kelly one). I also actually rather liked Joshua as well tonight, the song worked for him for once. And one suggestion for future contestants: maybe they should stay away from covering former “Idol” contestant songs. All that does is invite comparisons, and if you’re not fond of the current contestant, you’ll just be reminded of a better one. Eh, well.
    Who’s going home? Puh, I dunno. All of these people have their fanbases. They’ll either use the save, or it will probably likely be a girl going tomorrow if they do vote anyone off.

39. takakupo says:

Hollie was absolutely fantastic tonight! The slowed down version of Perfect was exactly what she needed. I really feel like the judges are treating her like Hollie Reinhart rather than Hollie Cavanagh.

40. Karen says:

The group song of “stronger” was absolutely horrendous!!

41. Idol Fan says:

Did anyone else think the look that Akon gave Jimmy at the end of his constructive criticism for Phillip was priceless? “What you talkin’ bout Willis”? LOL. So funny and I agree Akon – lost on me too.

42. Meyling says:

Crazy. I agree with almost all of Slezak’s comments. Except I liked Hollie tonight.

43. Kee says:

My Rankings: (based on this week)
    1. Colton (tie)
    2. Elise (tie)
    3. Joshua
    4. Skylar (tie)
    5. Jessica (tie)
    6. Hollie
    (big gap)
    7. Phillip

Should be Bottom 3: Hollie, Phillip, Random Contestant
    Will be Bottom 3: Hollie, Elise, Skylar (Because she was B3 2 weeks ago, and she performed first)

Who goes home: Hollie
    Will go home: Hollie

• TheBeach says:

I hadn’t really thought about it before they visited their hometowns tonight but 5 out of the Top 7 live south of the Mason-Dixon line.

• Angela says:

The southern U.S. has had quite the monopoly on “Idol” contestants over the years. I’ve lost count of how many hail from the southern half of the country. Must be something in the water!

• Templar says:

Only Lee is a yankee [Illinois]. All other winners are from the southern half of the US. Was it my imagination or did they give Elise way more time on her hometown thing than any of the others?

44. Shana says:

Joshua brought it once again! love that guy and he wholeheartedly deserved that standing O. He proved that he could do a current song (2nd current song since he already did Jar of Hearts) and that he could do an up-tempo song just as well (2nd time once again). I get the feeling he will be shedding some major tears tomorrow when poor hollie gets sent home…

p.s. slezak, that patti labelle gif is awesome

45. TVAddict says:

I was prepared to love Elise’s performance and I hated it. Gotta go listen to Haley’s version now.

• Kee says:

This Haley/Elise war is getting depressing and ridiculous. Reality check: Haley sucked before Bennie and The Jets, and Elise was a contender pre-Top 24. Both have their ups and downs, and I would rather hate Phillip’s “EH” performance than Elise’s.

• Jason says:

Wrong Haley was great on “Blue” and “you really got A Hold On Me”

• noa says:

she was “intriguing” at most before Bennie.

• Marsaili says:

LOL, intriguing at the most? Hardly—Haley was great, every single performance. But she wasn’t who the producers wanted, so her performances were either belittled or ignored until later, when even the judges couldn’t sit there and deny how good she was. Steven was in her corner the whole time, though.

• FreeHaley says:

She was good from the start. I actually singled out Haley way back in the auditions as the one to beat!
        I like Elise too though, not quite as much, but probably the most for this season. There are other legit contenders this year though.

46. chris says:

Colton was by far the best of the night and that’s saying a lot, joshua a close second. But colton’s voice has never been better.
    I kinda hope they don’t use the save even if it is elise — it just creates such a frenzy with the voting, but I guess that’s good for idol. Poor Hollie — its like she can do nothing right and I would understand if she was terrible but the judges have her on the outs — jennifer says — we’ll see how it plays out? Steven was even worse.
    Ryan’s question is ridiculous — how do people vote? And jennifer’s answer was so perfect to the rather stupid question.

47. JC says:

Jessica killed it as usual with her solo performance she is just impeccable and the group number of stronger was ok but did they really think they could pull off a Kelly Clarkson song? that’s the original American Idol right there so anyone would just pale in comparison. I hope Phillip gets to be in the bottom three tomorrow his performance was one of the weakest so its about time. I like Hollie but I think she will probably be the one who gets voted off unless the judges use their one save on her who knows. Maybe Skylar would join them in the bottom three just because she went first :)

48. sam says:

Why can’t they mix up the pairings of the duets????

49. kim says:

Glee’s version with darren criss and matt bomer killed “somebody that I used to know” last night and is now number 5 on iTunes. so it was kinda hard not comparing elise/philip — and I thought it was philip who did the better job in that duet.

50. Joe says:

Joshua didn’t just slay the dragon tonight. He walked into the fired with the dragon egg and walked out the next morning with a living breathing dragon on his shoulder. That might have been one of the best performances I’ve ever seen on American Idol. It’s in the top 10 of all time. That’s how good it was. He owned the stage. The vocal was from another planet. He is the best thing on this show.
    Skylar made me sit there & say, “Wow, Kellie PIckler sings a song that good?”. She was fabulous tonight. She is the anti-Alaina. A real honest to God country girl who will become the next Miranda Lambert in the years to come.
    Jessica’s problem is she’s too damned good. She’s not an underdog. She’s too young to be this good and it’s difficult to comprehend as an audience member. She’s also going to blow up once the show is over in a good way.
    Elise actually underwhelmed me and sent me searching for Haley’s “You & I”. That’s not good that I wanted to compare it to Haley because in my mind Haley killed it last year. She’s lucky she got the pimp slot.
    Colton was pretty awesome and also pretty forgettable at the same time. How does one actually do that?
    Phillip was a violin player short of a full DMB ensemble. Free Boyd Tinsley!
    Hollie…poor sweet Hollie…her Idol journey is coming to an end tomorrow. If there’s a God she’ll either sing the Theme From Ice Castles or Don’t Cry Out Loud as her save me song.
    This is the best 7 the show has ever had by the way. I don’t know how they did it, but they have the goods up on stage this year and it’s showing.

• Tarc says:

As others have mentioned, P2 doesn’t sound like DM – he’s almost an octave lower, and has a blues voice, not a pop voice. I’d get on the Jessica train if she’d stop mumbling.

• Flippy says:

And the “Most Ludicrous Comment” goes to…

• Layla says:

Tarc that “mumbling” thing ain’t catching on even though it’s the THIRD post on this thread about it by you.

• nikkiqm says:

@ Tarc Jessica doesn’t mumble your a P2aholic. Even when he’s terrible or just plain average you find excuses for him. Jessica for me was the best of the night. She chose a difficult relatively unknown song completely rearranged it and did some beautiful vocal acrobatics throughout the performance. I mean what do people need for them to be impressed for her to juggle and tap dance across the stage too?

• Tarc says:

Yeah, that’s why she needed to be saved.

• nikkiqm says:

@ Tarc you are so snarky and pretentious “my music degree pals think Jessica mumbles … Blah blah blah”. Do these sane music degree pals think Phil has a great voice and if so Id love to examine their music credentials bc something is definitely a miss. Secondly let’s pretend that only the worse singers get booted off Idol early or end up in the bottom 3 … Can you explain JHudson, Hailey Reinhart, David Cook and Daughtry losing Idol to me? I guess they sucked as much as you think Jessica does. Get over it music is subjective don’t be a snob and invent bs reasons for not liking Jessica.

• Marsaili says:

You know what, everyone thinks they know better than the next guy—even YOU Nikki—how many times have you come after me saying I was wrong? We all have our opinions. Opinions are neither right or wrong, they just are—maybe some of you need to learn how to respect them a little more. I don’t insult people for not liking Phil–you plainly say people are deaf or whatever if they happen to like his voice, or that their musical degrees are crap because they see his talent—talk about pretentious??!!!(and YES HE CAN SING, DUH) I just try to explain why he is better than people like YOU give him credit for–and EVERY MENTOR AND JIMMY HAS exclaimed about his talents, as well as the judges. (like them or not, they are successful professionals in their fields). So, stop calling people names—take your Jessica love and revel in it as I will revel in my love for all the other 6 contestants, and Jessica because even though she does nothing for me, I do respect her immense talents.

• FreeHaley says:

I do think Jessica bungled and mumbled the trio song a bit, but otherwise, not at all.

• MusicGrrrl says:

Tarc, understand Jessica every time. Maybe your sound system needs to be checked. I do find her boring sometimes, but then I feel bad for being bored because she really does have a great voice.

• Marsaili says:

Tarc is absolutely right, Jessica DOES mumble sometimes—I’ve been saying that since the beginning of the season. My sound system is perfectly fine. As are my ears and those of the 5 people watching with me every week. I’m wondering what’s wrong with the ears of the people who keep saying that P2 sounds like Dave Matthews—-not even close!!!

• Tarc says:

A dozen people on my FB were talking about it before I ever mentioned it. Several of those have degrees in vocal music.

• Bobbi says:

Tarc, that’s fine but they have to put their music degrees against the producers of U2, Lady Gaga, Bruce Springsteen, Many of the previous Idol winners that state the opposite about jessica’s singing. Not saying your friends are not legit, but if you are bringing up their degrees as some form of validation then let’s put them up against world class multi-platinum selling producers of Grammy winning singers and songwriters.

• Joe says:

Tarc – As someone who spent most of the 90’s and the early 2000’s following Dave Matthews whenever I could I can assure you I am an authority on him and your precious P deuce is an imitator and not an originator. I, and many others, wouldn’t be repeating it week after week if it weren’t true. He copied Dave and he’s a freckle on Dave’s you know what and when he’s off this show he will disappear faster than you can say Lee Dewyze. We wouldn’t say it every week if we didn’t see him ripping off Dave’s stage persona, vocal style and look. He’s an impersonator. I know you want to cuddle with him and make him stuffed dolls with his face on them to cheer him up when he has the sniffles and that’s quite admirable. But he’s an impersonator. A Dave Matthews impersonator. Watch any youtube of Dave singing All Along The Watchtower and you’ll think you’re watching Phillip’s big brother. But keep scrapbooking and sandboxing for him. Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow you may die. That’s a line from a Dave song by the by.

• Marsaili says:

LOL a Dave Matthews AUTHORITY eh? Well, here I’ve got a bunch of stuff on my iTunes playlist of Dave’s, even videos and I’m watching and I’m listening and then I watch and I listen to Phil and I DON’T SEE IT OR HEAR IT AT ALL. I thought you were a Jessica AUTHORITY—now you are a Dave Matthews AUTHORITY, too? I think the only thing you ARE an authority at is trying to give Tarc a difficult time for his opinions. Why don’t you go listen to Jessica’s beautiful voice and let it sooth you into some sort of place where you don’t feel it necessary to attack people who like anyone other than Jessica.

• RandomBlahBlah says:

Marsaili, Tarc and Joe should all go out for drinks. You guys need to chill. Whatever happens in Idol is beyond you 3. Nice to read your thoughts though and see how intense y’all are with this show. But I’d still encourage you guys to go out for drinks.

• Joe says:

Um, I seem to like every contestant other than Phillip. Not sure where you got the impression that I’m just Team Jessica. Wipe the spittle off your mouth and try reading before you comment, kay?

• Templar says:

Uh, Joe. That’s not a line from DM it’s a line from 1 Corinthians in the Bible.

• Elizabeth says:

Then I suppose Dave Matthews impersonated Joe Cocker because he was first with the singing style you are accusing Phillip of. Seriously? It’s a “blues” style, not a one person in a lifetime style. Wow!

• Tarc says:

Exactly. People with no ear and little experience really don’t understand what they’re jabbering about.

• Bobbi says:

EXACTLY which is why there is a double standard when people refer to Jessica the same way. Her style is R&B soul but people think it is an identical sound to the respected singer, which if you listen to them side by side it is certainly not the case at all.

LOL! Well, let’s just say you’re entitled to your (incorrect) opinion. :D

• nikkiqm says:

Joe your right on point about everything except Id put Jessica slightly just ever so slightly ahead of Joshua for tonight. Also Lmao about the theme to Ice Castles referance.