Ratings: The Voice Dips for Fifth Straight Week, Two and a Half Men at Series Low

NBC’s The Voice, with 10.4 million total viewers and a 3.9 rating, as usual led all of Monday programming in the coveted 18-49 demo, yet nonetheless dipped 5 percent week-to-week — the show’s fifth straight Monday drop.

Dancing With the Stars, meanwhile, held steady from 8 to 10 pm, drawing 16.1 mil and a 2.9.

Read TVLine’s Recaps of The Voice and Dancing With the Stars

On a night of almost full-on original network programming, nearly everyone was down or flat. Both Bones (7.4 mil/2.1) and House (6.1 mil/2.0), for example, fell 13 percent in the demo. And save for Mike & Molly (which at 9.55 mil and a 3.2 was up a tenth in the demo), each CBS comedy dipped a few percentage points, with Two and a Half Men (10.4 mil/3.5) most notably slipping 8 percent at an all-time demo low. Did I just see the Brinks truck drive past Ashton’s mansion…?

Over on The CW, Gossip Girl (1.05 mil/0.5) added a few eyeballs and was flat in the demo, while Hart of Dixie returned to 1.12 million viewers and a 0.5 rating, shedding 20 percent of its most recent audience.

And lastly, in the 10 o’clock hour, Hawaii Five-0 (10.2 mil/2.6) inched up some and dominated with Castle on the bench, while Smash was rock-steady at 6 mil and a 2.1.

What were you tuned into this Monday night?

1. Greg says:

Wish some site would point out how ridiculous this is. X factor’s ratings went up as the season went on… yet everyone called it a flop. The Voices ratings are now below X factors… yet they call the Voice a hit. X factor has made at least three stars… and the Voice is about to crown another artist that will be dead in the water just like the first one. Rachel crow has her own tv show, Chris Rene is being played on the radio, and Melanie Amaro will surely be next.

• Hugh says:

Exactly. I’m really sick of everyone in the media over praising The Voice and ragging on American Idol and The X Factor. The Voice is a terrible program with mediocre talent (save for Jamar and Juliet) and a dreadful format that eliminates decent singers ahead of poor ones. It’s not even entertaining. The only things worth a damn on this show apart from the 2 singers I mentioned are CeeLo and Xtina.

Idol>>TXF>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Voice. The media seriously needs to get off this show’s dick.

• Tarc says:

There are things that are great about the Voice (the blind auditions, the not-cheapness in clearing songs), but the ‘battle rounds are awkward, stuipid, and nearly unwatchable. Then the final rounds are just killing fields: they let so many through in the first place, they just mow then down. And over all, the winner sings maybe 5 songs total? That’s not good. Anything is better than the train-wreck/horrorshow of X-Factor, though. Even if they got rid of Simon Coweel, it’d still be unwatchable drek.

• Matt says:

I agree. Im one of the people that gave this show a chance and then stopped watching it. They havent produced any stars and the format stinks. Up until the final weeks, you only see people performing once a month or eventually twice a month so you don’t really get to know them or bond with them. The whole team format makes no sense because you’re eliminating people from each team so contestants are competing against their team – NOT against the other teams. (So you really want a pick a coach who has lousy team)…and so if Coach A has 4 great people and Coach B has 4 mediocre people – CoachA’s great contestants are going to get eliminated while the mediocre or poor people advance. It really makes no logical sense when you think about it. Add to that a boring host, and a predictable format with predictable fake banter & Im bored. Say what you will about XF and I agree they need to make changes, but the talent and show was a lot better

• sandra says:

X factor was expected to be a huge hit, thanks to a certain someone claiming it would make 20 million viewers with ease. Voice was not expected to be as successful as it was in the first season. And honestly Rachel Crow, Chris Rene and Melanie Amaro? Never heard of any of them…. Though it is true Javier Colon didn’t become a massive success either, unfortunatly.

• dan says:

Remeber: last year’s successful first season of The Voice was a complete surprise to many industry people. The ratings climbed as the season went on and the buzz was very strong. That didn’t happen out of the box for X Factor which had higher expectations and then couldn’t initially deliver. Now X Factor is retooling with a new host and two new judges, so apparently Simon and Fox think the show needed to be fixed in order to generate more viewers and buzz like The Voice has done. Also, season 2 of The Voice premiered after the Superbowl so they had a huge number right off the bat. That number is figured into their season average so they are technically more popular than the X Factor was last Fall.

• Tarc says:

X-factor was called a flop because it sucked. Truly awful, unwatchable drek. It’s ‘turn the TV off for the night’ bad.

• Mark says:

The difference is really expectations. NBC has literally no hit shows. When The Voice does 10 million, execs pee their pants a little.

X Factor was going to do 20 million said the “O Great Cowell”. When it did 10 million, execs were pretty disappointed. And, yes, the show was often irritating to watch. You are correct, Greg, that if X Factor produces some new mini stars (and if it comes back with some less annoying people) then the potential is there. We’ll see.

• Lola says:

Except X-Factor wasn’t on during the dead season that is springtime. Note — all the shows on are down from fall and winter and most are down week to week. The Voice is also up against DWtS. I also think The Voice must be cheaper to produce than X-Factor. I mean, I understand the argument, but I think people are too eager to compare singing show to singing show, but that can be apples to oranges, given the difference in time slots,, seasons, expectations and cost. The ratings did go up, but the demo only went about as high as the Voice is now. I can’t really comment on Crow, Rene or Amaro because I don’t know who they are… I just think the compariosns need to be made not just on “type” of show, but on other factors as well. If you’re going to make them at all.

2. Deena says:

Don’t like Bones numbers :(
    TV doesn’t surprise me. This years been weak. Contestants+judges. It was more fun last year with bickering but this year everyone is mean and nasty. Don’t like it.

• Tarc says:

Bones waited way, way too long to get Boothe and Brenna together, and then they pretty much did it off-screen. Frankly, it went so long, I just stopped caring. I hope Castle avoids this problem.

• Jillian says:

Bones is awesome this season and I loved the way they got together. It was totally them. If the writers listened to everything that you people wanted and they jumped in bed together in season 2, there wouldn’t be a show. I hope Castle and Beckett don’t just jumped together this season to satisfy shippers.

• Deena says:

I think they did it just right. Bones is not a drama show with couple being on and off for seasons on. It’s still about crime and cases with BB being a family and handling things now as one.
        I hope the numbers so up again, cos this seasons is really great. Just not sure Monday is as good as Thursday. :/

• jazzyt2u says:

The only thing that annoys me about them working together as “one” is that Booth didn’t want to keep dating Cam because it hindered his thinking. How is dating Brennan not doing the same and they work even closer together? I just wish he had addressed that. It’s almost as if he and Cam never dated.

• Dempsey says:

I absolutely agree. They waited far too long and not even in a convincing way. They just threw up any old rehashed roadblock to them getting together and I just don’t care anymore.

• Jillian says:

All you people want is for a couple to immediately jump in bed together, but no show runner will ever do that. There wouldn’t be any story.

• Literacy Problems says:

what the what?! Where do you get that from a comment saying they had more chemistry BEFORE they jumped into bed?

• Jillian says:

@Literacy Problems People didn’t say anything about them having more chemistry before they got together. People said that they waited too long to put them together, which to means that they just wanted them to jump in bed together in season 3 and just be done with it. This show isn’t about two people jumping in bed together. It’s about the journey and story about how they get there.

Also, you don’t need capitalize “before.” We get it. You think they had more chemistry before they got together.

• Ahoy says:

Absolutely. 1. Waited too long, lukewarm chemistry. 2. Storyline itself sucked. I’ve heard “sad sex” and now I can’t get BB’s “sad sex” Charlie Brown walk of shame imagery out of my mind.

3. bad kevin says:

The Voice still rocks my Monday night fix. One of my faves to win: Jamar Rogers aka The Comeback Kid and last night’s Hawaii Five-O was great for a Max-centric episode.

4. Melanie says:

While this is just a guess, I would assume that The Voice is considered a hit because it has the best ratings of the shows currently running on NBC while the XFactor would have been compared to Idol on Fox. I read the ratings every week but it still bugs me that us watchers of shows, who love program, especially those that get cancelled are discounted because we do not have the almighty Neilson Box to count us as watchers. There has to be a better way to see what everyone is watching!

5. Leah says:

I forgot Bones was on last night! I didn’t have time to check the site yesterday. Darn!

• ChriW says:

It was a good Bones episode last night. I totally love this season especially with the introduction of babies; they are so cute. I also loved it when Bren (Emily Deschanel) broke down to Booth after the case was solved. I give props to all the working parents out there (single or couple) that have to balance work and home.

• ACH says:

Baby coo, baby love, baby eyes, baby diapers.
      BB were about as interesting as every other new parent or pet owner who tries to foist pictures on you.

6. Polly says:

I think they should remake the opening title of two and a half men, switching the humming of “men” with the humming of “dead” :D
    hope cbs doesn’t renew it.

• TV Gord says:

…or you could just stop watching…

• Polly says:

stopped watching when they tried the “hug a gorilla”.
        I read though that the “haircut moment” and the “lesibian grannies” are real must see of the season :D

• ACH says:

Or maybe Polly is like me, unable to avoid the relentless loop of reruns. And based on what little I’ve seen, just plain offended by its existence.

• Notorious Rake says:

If you’re looking for a reason to be offended by the existence of some entity, Syria might be a more appropriate choice than 2&1/2 Men.

• Polly says:

agreed.
          plus i’m not offended by 2.5 men. i’m confident it’ll find its certain death at the end of the season, one multiple facepalms episode after another, and finally get caught by the CBS accountants that will tell Moonves that the ratings/expenses ratio isn’t worthy anymore.

7. alexa says:

Glad GG stayed steady and actually gained viewers! Guess more people are okay with Dan and Blair than most Chairleeders would like to think. ;)

8. JJ says:

The Voice is a hit for NBC and its more successful in its second season which is rare. It’s true the show has yet to yield a hit maker but to say X-Factor has yielded any stars is inaccurate. Rachel Crow has SIGNED a deal for a show but whether it. It it gets made and is a hit is another matter. How many Idol winners and overall contestants have been signed, released an album and flopped? Lee Dewyze is the most recent example.

Melanie Amaro HAS release a hit song for the show to be credible in its second season but so far she’s only released a dull remake of Aretha Franklins ‘Respect’. Meanwhile UKs X-Factor 3rd place finishers from over a year ago (One Direction) are performing on Saturday Night Live.

Get Melanie a hit Simon!!

9. Jillian says:

I hope Bones does better next week. They grew from 2.1 to 2.2 in the second half, so I think as long as Bones stays in the 2.0s, it should be fine.

• Mrs. Pam Archer says:

Talk about Fan Excuse Bingo.

• Jillian says:

What does that even mean? Bones has already been renewed for a season 8, so the ratings don’t matter, but I still hope it does good in ratings.

• Literacy Problems says:

Fan Excuse Bingo is when the fans will pull out any excuse- seasonal, competition, lead in, etc.- to explain ratings decline. Anything but connect show’s quality with ratings.

10. Boiler says:

Too bad about Hart of Dixie. Guess what happens when take off air for a month

11. leigh says:

I am curious. ABC pulled castle to show the new show Scandal. How did it do in the ratings? I’m a little curious since they changed the schedule so quickly last week.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The SCANDAL repeat did 6.7 mil and a 1.3, beating SMASH in total viewers. (Though it shed 25% of its audience across the hour.)

• leigh says:

Thank you!

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

I wonder what ABC is thinking regarding Scandal vs Private Practice? If Scandal does really well this spring, it may be a ‘go’ for the fall season, but perhaps outside of the Thursday 10pm spot? Maybe they/ABC are trying to see what Scandal can do at 10pm on other nights? Same with Private Practice – they may need to move it outside the 10pm Thursday slot – should the show be renewed for the fall.

I’ve thought perhaps if Grey’s Anatomy cannot re-sign their core stars, maybe moving some of the Private Practice team – Kate Walsh, etc. into Grey’s would solve multiple cost issues for Shonda R and co. and create some scheduling openings mid-week for ABC [and Scandal]. ABC has a pretty large stable of hour long pilots – some, like Nashville (Connie Britton) may be a shoe-in for next fall.

ABC is going to need to create some openings in their schedule. Could Scandal, Grey’s and PPractice all make the fall schedule, knowing the issues involving costs going up for these older series [GA & PP] and trying to hold onto stars from those shows? I’m not so sure all three can make it for the fall. But combining casts from GA and PP into a revitalized Grey’s might solve some cost issues and give Scandal a green light and open path for the fall.

12. Joe says:

No himym?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“… save for Mike & Molly (which at 9.55 mil and a 3.2 was up a tenth in the demo), each CBS comedy dipped a few percentage points…”

13. holdyo says:

Bring Back CHARLIE SHEEN. The ratings will go up when he comes back, or just get rid of Ashton Kutcher. The show does not need him. Alan, his mother, his son, and Berta make the show. BRING BACK CHARLIE SHEEN.

• Are you kidding? It’s not Ashton Kutcher (no, I’m not saying he’s doing a great job) but their story lines! This show has gotten so ridiculous!!! Alan’s mom’s a lesbian now? What? It’s become more than stupid.

14. Brad says:

i don’t get it….Two and A Half man has never been funnier

• Tarc says:

Which means the show produced one laugh a seaosn instead of it’s usual zero? I would have cancelled that drek after one episode.

• Philipp says:

Are you serious? It has never been this bad, EVER! Not even when Charlie threw up on that baby and back then, that seemed to be the lowest of the low and topping that is not something they should be proud of!
      This show is crude and of bad taste! Every person with a brain can realize that it passed “funny” years ago and that it can go for “not quite the worst show on TV YET” at best.

15. L says:

I really hope they renew Hart of Dixie, I’m really enjoying it. I’m losing hope with those numbers though. I hope they end with Zade at least!

16. eridapo says:

The problem with the Voice is that you don’t really get to know the contestants unlike you do in Idol.. Since its premiere, all the contestants have had only 3 songs. For a reality competition where you want to launch a star, it would be ideal if we actually got to know the singer and the range.

I, myself, don’t like Idol, but I think it does a better job showcasing the singer’s strenghts and vocal range. From a ratings standpoint, I see the Voice continuing its downward trend. The novelty of the chairs and judges has worn off.

• Joseph says:

Yup , that is exactly my issue also ,
      Since they only do one show a week and it can go weeks between seeing a contestant you don’t get invested unlike Idol.
      I really wish we saw the singers perform every week and that The Voice had not taken a month to hash out the Battlerounds.
      I liked The Voice but we are now at the 11th week and have only heard the singers 3 times !
      It would be my wish that The Voice go to 2 shows a week , so they can knock out the The Blind Auditions and the Battles both in 2 weeks, Before they change to viewer eliminations that run 11 weeks.
      I doubt the producers will change the format but it would work out a lot better as a standard Monday / Tuesday format.with the show running 15+ weeks.

17. Jules says:

Stupid ratings !
    Seriously FOX I’m tired of yr arrogance toward yr best and only Good drama/veteran series & my favorite addiction on m

18. Jules says:

Sorry ..me again! (didn’t finish my sentence…)

Like I was saying….-my favorite addiction on monday nights [H]ouse…it’s was a stupid idea to relocate them at 9pm knowing it the countdown to the end/series finale..
    And more disrespectful to put Bones in Front..
    It’s painful enough to wait a hour already while waiting for it…and was reading a book and tv was on mute..but even with it…the episode was predictable & lame…

But who cares anyway..was relief to see the 16th episode
    And the ultra prank that House did to Wilson..
    Was priceless! Love that crazy/weird rekindle friendship!😜

• ebowers says:

Love the House ratings 2.0 another new LOW!!!. TPTB better be worried than any one shows up to catch the finale on the ONCE GREAT now DISMAL shows.
      Seriously, Jules when I recall the ratings of season 1,2 and three and compare them to the ratings now I am physically ILL
      Thanks again to DavidS for single handly destroying the once unbeatable in the ratings compelling medical drama by turning it into a low-brow non funny sitcom

19. gg hater says:

So HAPPY about GGs ratings!

20. sarah says:

I am not surprised that Hart of Dixie lost viewers, it took 2 long breaks. I recorded it as I had other shows on and I am not chomping at the bit to watch it but I will.
    I am happy that even in Alex’s absence it still did well!

21. June says:

So 2&Half Man dips without Charlie Sheen, but Hawaii 50 gets better numbers without Alex O’Loughlin . CBS should bring back Charlie to 2&Hallf man and give DDKim more airtime on Hawaii.

22. Lisa says:

It’s a shame Hart of Dixie was down because it was a great episode. Nice to see Zoey back in scrubs and acting like the competant ditz she is! Good scenes with her Dad and Lemon but best of all was seeing the emotion conveyed in the little looks between she and George!

I almost forgot it was back on after the long break though. Men is awful without Charlie Sheen so the slipping is no surprise!

23. xwiseguyx says:

I’m still diggin’ 2 1/2 Men – great show – don’t change a thing!

• Joseph says:

Actually , I like the changes they are making to Two and a Half Men , and with Angus T. Jones heading off to college , something had to be done.
      There was a need with the addition of Ashton and the fact that they will lose Angus next year to take the story in a direction. The obvious solution was to expand on the relationship Jon Cryer has with Holland Taylor and find something other then his penis that can be a conversation point for Ashton.
      Not sure if the show will come back that is probably up to the actors and Sony but it is still one of the best 10 comedies on broadcast.

24. mia says:

New series should not be taking haituses in their premiere seasons.

Ringer, Hart of Dixie, etc have all been hurt because of this.

I pay attention to scheduling and even I’ve been confused when its on.

Really hope they both get renewed.

25. Jillian says:

Bones adjusted up to a 2.2! Yay! I’m happy with that.

26. whatthehellisgoingonwithtwomen says:

Two Men just keeps getting worse by week. I keep hoping that maybe next time it will be better, but it just never is. For such a popular show why can’t they hire decent comedy writers. So dissapointing. I just don’t get it.

27. trish says:

Two and a half lost me with the Lindsey vomiting episode. I am not easily offended but that one was just plain BAD!!!! cancel it, put it out of it’s misery. It had a good run, time to let it rest in peace.

28. random says: