Game of Thrones Renewed For Season 3

HBO is saying “Game on!” to more Game of Thrones, picking the epic fantasy up for a third season.

“Series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss raised our expectations for the second season – and then surpassed them,” said HBO boss Michael Lombardo. “We are thrilled by all the viewer and media support we’ve received for the series, and can’t wait to see what Dan and David have in store for next season.”

PHOTOS: Game of Thrones‘ Most Jaw-Dropping Moments

Thrones‘ second season is off to an impressive start in the ratings. The opener drew a record 3.9 million viewers, and Sunday’s second episode nearly matched that with 3.8 million.

1. Gb says:

Fantastic news. I hope they get the full 7 or 8 seasons they want to complete the entire story/series.

2. Amanda says:

Prepare for LOTS of blood shed and goodbye to lots of fan favorites. That season is going to be ROUGH compared to the first two.

• ryanandhobbes says:

Seriously…#RedWed

• RobbWolfhead says:

I feel like they’d use the Redwed for a season ending episode…Does it happen early in Storm of Swords?

• Jo says:

It won’t be the finale. It’s not early in the book, but I’d say it’s halfway to 2/3 in. A lot happens afterwards.

• Jess says:

i knew there were talks of HBo renewing for 2 seasons together since ASOS will need at least a season and a half, most likely 2 seasons. Although that didn’t pan out, ASOS is much too long for just 10 episodes. So Redwed could possibly be the season 3 finale/climax. We’ll have to wait and see how D&D plan out the storylines.

• Saint Alicia says:

Ugh, even though that’s a whole year away it’s already done it’s damage for me.
        I’ll admit I just jumped on the GoT bandwagon (2 weeks ago) and then stupidly started reading spoilers. Now it feels like everything has been a waste and I should just quit…
        Eff the Red Wedding :[

• adriene says:

And goobye to some fan un-favorites. ;) #RedWed

• MJ says:

I think they’re dividing book 3 into two seasons. I’m glad because ASOS is heavy and I don’t think people could take everything that happens in just one season. Just thinking about it gives me chills.

• Jonnhy Rock says:

Here in Portugal all books are devided in two books! (We have 10 books so far!! :) ) and I think it was a good choice to do that, specially in the latest books… Can’t wait for the RedWed!!!

• mikedtroi says:

can you NOT drop any spoilers please

• Mike says:

Translation: Get ready for spoilers in the responses to the above comment. On the 2nd chapter of Storm of Swords…I gotta get moving before these comments sections are the end of me. :-)

• Alice says:

Seriously! The PETA people are gonna be praying that the show goes back to only killing puppies after season 3 gets going. And the deaths only get nastier. And then there’s Reek… **shudder**

• Jess says:

ditto on reek. I love how a lot of reviewers are saying how “EVIL” Joffery is… my response is always with an eye roll and a “you ain’t seen nothin’ yet!”

3. Eliza says:

Yes!!! Love this show!

4. DSeverus says:

shocki ng news

5. Bigfan says:

Come on – no spoilers people.

• Jess says:

I don’t think the fact that lots more people are going to die is a spoiler. I think we all know that after season 1, episode 9. Nothing is spoiled for you here, unless you go and google red wedding. Then it’s your fault chasing after ASOS plotlines…

• Jess says:

Trust me, I know. I was too impatient so I wiki-ed ASOS while still in the middle of reading ACOK… really regret it… and I’m the kind of person who don’t normally care about spoilers at all! oh well…

6. Shaun says:

Excellent news….the ratings have been bananas for the show so it’s well deserved.

7. bad kevin says:

Best news of the day. One of the best series HBO has to offer.

8. Shawn Piette says:

i wonder whats gonna happen when the show gets caught up to the books and has to take a 8 year hiatus for him to finish the final 2 books.love the show but they should have waited for the books to be done before they started the show.there is no way martin will have them done in time.

• RobbWolfhead says:

Well the showrunners have said that they will probably need to break up Books 3-5 into two seasons each. That buys him 6 years. He said he’d finish Winds of Winter within the next Three and if that’s a long enough book, that buys him 2 more years on top of that. I think that if he can get the last two books done in 6 years, he’ll be fine.

• Jo says:

He also said it would take him 1 year after releasing Book 3 for Book 4. I’ll believe it when I see it. I hope it happens though.

• KL says:

General rule of thumb: if you ask GRRM if he’s done writing, he’ll kill a Stark. But considering that he wants the series to end with a deserted, barren land maybe that doesn’t matter. :P

• Alice says:

ooh, I like that. instead of “everytime a bell rings, an angel gets his wings”, GoT has “Everytime you ask GRRM if he’s done writing, a Stark dies in a really gruesome and public manner.” He’s like a freakish combination of Santa Clause and the Bogeyman.

• Eliza says:

I love the GoT cast SO much that I am glad they didn’t wait!!

9. Shawn Piette says:

if book 3 is 2 seasons,4 and 5 will be shot together cause they were meant to be 1 book.so thats another 2 seasons.you are looking at 4 years to have the books done.his track record menas book 6 probably wont be done by then.in my opinion greatest books ever written,but you are looking at this show being on 4 more years before they run out of material

10. Shawn Piette says:

my worry is they will release book 6 and 7 as movies in the future,and it will sit on the shelf with the deadwood movie

• RobbWolfhead says:

HBO has already gone on record to say that they are in it for the long haul. The show gets consistently good ratings and merchandising rights are probably making them a pretty penny. The showrunners know where the story is going to go (GRR Martin told them the ending in advance) and will account for his pace. Splitting Book 3 into two parts gives us Season 3 and 4. Book 4: Season 5 and 6. Book 5: Season 7 (there’s apparently a lot of fluff in book 5). Ultimately, it’s a doable time frame. If not, they might have to make a season of filler…which I do not approve of.

• Jo says:

I don’t think they’ll need two seasons for book 4. UNLESS, since book 5 starts chronologically at the same time book 4 starts, they go by the timeline. I could see book 4 and 5 combined taking 3 seasons. We’ll have to wait and see.

• RobbWolfhead says:

good point. I forgot about that. Also, since GRR Martin writes scripts for the show it’s very collaborative….haha

11. Ben Wyatt says:

They would never cancel Game of Thrones! It’s a crossover hit! They’re telling human stories in a fantasy world!

12. Shawn Piette says:

they are going to combine book 4 and 5 as 1 book and 2 seasons.so book 3 is 2 seasons,book 4 and 5 is 2 seasons.so after this they have until season 6 before they are out of material

• Jess says:

D&D and GRRM also said that if, for some reason but let’s hope not, the show catches up to the books before book 7′s done, then they’ll keep doing the show with general ideas provided by GRRM. I don’t know how I feel about that, if the show/plots comes out before book 7… :(

13. jazzyt2u says:

I have debated reading the books. How close is HBO keeping to the books?

14. Shawn Piette says:

besides a few scenes and dialogue between characters that don’t appear in the books,they are pretty much spot on with the show.in the show also they change a few names of people. read the books,they are way better than the show.and since the show is spectacular,you could imagine how good the books are