Game of Thrones Renewed For Season 3

Get More: News, Renewals

HBO is saying “Game on!” to more Game of Thrones, picking the epic fantasy up for a third season.

“Series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss raised our expectations for the second season – and then surpassed them,” said HBO boss Michael Lombardo. “We are thrilled by all the viewer and media support we’ve received for the series, and can’t wait to see what Dan and David have in store for next season.”

PHOTOS: Game of Thrones‘ Most Jaw-Dropping Moments

Thrones‘ second season is off to an impressive start in the ratings. The opener drew a record 3.9 million viewers, and Sunday’s second episode nearly matched that with 3.8 million.

Comments (43)

• Fantastic news. I hope they get the full 7 or 8 seasons they want to complete the entire story/series.

Comment by Gb – April 10, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Prepare for LOTS of blood shed and goodbye to lots of fan favorites. That season is going to be ROUGH compared to the first two.

Comment by Amanda – April 10, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously…#RedWed

Comment by ryanandhobbes – April 10, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I feel like they’d use the Redwed for a season ending episode…Does it happen early in Storm of Swords?

Comment by RobbWolfhead – April 10, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It won’t be the finale. It’s not early in the book, but I’d say it’s halfway to 2/3 in. A lot happens afterwards.

Comment by Jo – April 10, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • i knew there were talks of HBo renewing for 2 seasons together since ASOS will need at least a season and a half, most likely 2 seasons. Although that didn’t pan out, ASOS is much too long for just 10 episodes. So Redwed could possibly be the season 3 finale/climax. We’ll have to wait and see how D&D plan out the storylines.

Comment by Jess – April 10, 2012 01:34 PM PDT
      • Ugh, even though that’s a whole year away it’s already done it’s damage for me.
        I’ll admit I just jumped on the GoT bandwagon (2 weeks ago) and then stupidly started reading spoilers. Now it feels like everything has been a waste and I should just quit…
        Eff the Red Wedding :[

Comment by Saint Alicia – April 10, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And goobye to some fan un-favorites. ;) #RedWed

Comment by adriene – April 10, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they’re dividing book 3 into two seasons. I’m glad because ASOS is heavy and I don’t think people could take everything that happens in just one season. Just thinking about it gives me chills.

Comment by MJ – April 10, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Here in Portugal all books are devided in two books! (We have 10 books so far!! :) ) and I think it was a good choice to do that, specially in the latest books… Can’t wait for the RedWed!!!

Comment by Jonnhy Rock – April 10, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • can you NOT drop any spoilers please

Comment by mikedtroi – April 10, 2012 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Spoilers to a book thats been out for many years? You’ll get over it.

Comment by Nick – April 10, 2012 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Get over yourself: read the spoilers, then enjoy how the plot unfolds. It’s not to get to the end, but the artistry of how it’s done.

Comment by Charlemagne(@spanprof) – June 4, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Translation: Get ready for spoilers in the responses to the above comment. On the 2nd chapter of Storm of Swords…I gotta get moving before these comments sections are the end of me. :-)

Comment by Mike – April 10, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously! The PETA people are gonna be praying that the show goes back to only killing puppies after season 3 gets going. And the deaths only get nastier. And then there’s Reek… **shudder**

Comment by Alice – April 10, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ditto on reek. I love how a lot of reviewers are saying how “EVIL” Joffery is… my response is always with an eye roll and a “you ain’t seen nothin’ yet!”

Comment by Jess – April 10, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!!! Love this show!

Comment by Eliza – April 10, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • shocki ng news

Comment by DSeverus – April 10, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on – no spoilers people.

Comment by Bigfan – April 10, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think the fact that lots more people are going to die is a spoiler. I think we all know that after season 1, episode 9. Nothing is spoiled for you here, unless you go and google red wedding. Then it’s your fault chasing after ASOS plotlines…

Comment by Jess – April 10, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Trust me, I know. I was too impatient so I wiki-ed ASOS while still in the middle of reading ACOK… really regret it… and I’m the kind of person who don’t normally care about spoilers at all! oh well…

Comment by Jess – April 10, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent news….the ratings have been bananas for the show so it’s well deserved.

Comment by Shaun – April 10, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news of the day. One of the best series HBO has to offer.

Comment by bad kevin – April 10, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i wonder whats gonna happen when the show gets caught up to the books and has to take a 8 year hiatus for him to finish the final 2 books.love the show but they should have waited for the books to be done before they started the show.there is no way martin will have them done in time.

Comment by Shawn Piette – April 10, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well the showrunners have said that they will probably need to break up Books 3-5 into two seasons each. That buys him 6 years. He said he’d finish Winds of Winter within the next Three and if that’s a long enough book, that buys him 2 more years on top of that. I think that if he can get the last two books done in 6 years, he’ll be fine.

Comment by RobbWolfhead – April 10, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He also said it would take him 1 year after releasing Book 3 for Book 4. I’ll believe it when I see it. I hope it happens though.

Comment by Jo – April 10, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • General rule of thumb: if you ask GRRM if he’s done writing, he’ll kill a Stark. But considering that he wants the series to end with a deserted, barren land maybe that doesn’t matter. :P

Comment by KL – April 10, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ooh, I like that. instead of “everytime a bell rings, an angel gets his wings”, GoT has “Everytime you ask GRRM if he’s done writing, a Stark dies in a really gruesome and public manner.” He’s like a freakish combination of Santa Clause and the Bogeyman.

Comment by Alice – April 10, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love the GoT cast SO much that I am glad they didn’t wait!!

Comment by Eliza – April 10, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if book 3 is 2 seasons,4 and 5 will be shot together cause they were meant to be 1 book.so thats another 2 seasons.you are looking at 4 years to have the books done.his track record menas book 6 probably wont be done by then.in my opinion greatest books ever written,but you are looking at this show being on 4 more years before they run out of material

Comment by Shawn Piette – April 10, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my worry is they will release book 6 and 7 as movies in the future,and it will sit on the shelf with the deadwood movie

Comment by Shawn Piette – April 10, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HBO has already gone on record to say that they are in it for the long haul. The show gets consistently good ratings and merchandising rights are probably making them a pretty penny. The showrunners know where the story is going to go (GRR Martin told them the ending in advance) and will account for his pace. Splitting Book 3 into two parts gives us Season 3 and 4. Book 4: Season 5 and 6. Book 5: Season 7 (there’s apparently a lot of fluff in book 5). Ultimately, it’s a doable time frame. If not, they might have to make a season of filler…which I do not approve of.

Comment by RobbWolfhead – April 10, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think they’ll need two seasons for book 4. UNLESS, since book 5 starts chronologically at the same time book 4 starts, they go by the timeline. I could see book 4 and 5 combined taking 3 seasons. We’ll have to wait and see.

Comment by Jo – April 10, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • good point. I forgot about that. Also, since GRR Martin writes scripts for the show it’s very collaborative….haha

Comment by RobbWolfhead – April 10, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They would never cancel Game of Thrones! It’s a crossover hit! They’re telling human stories in a fantasy world!

Comment by Ben Wyatt – April 10, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love you.

Comment by Fee – April 10, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have no idea how happy this comment makes me.

Comment by Jared – April 10, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DUH.

Comment by Che – April 10, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they are going to combine book 4 and 5 as 1 book and 2 seasons.so book 3 is 2 seasons,book 4 and 5 is 2 seasons.so after this they have until season 6 before they are out of material

Comment by Shawn Piette – April 10, 2012 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • D&D and GRRM also said that if, for some reason but let’s hope not, the show catches up to the books before book 7′s done, then they’ll keep doing the show with general ideas provided by GRRM. I don’t know how I feel about that, if the show/plots comes out before book 7… :(

Comment by Jess – April 10, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have debated reading the books. How close is HBO keeping to the books?

Comment by jazzyt2u – April 10, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • besides a few scenes and dialogue between characters that don’t appear in the books,they are pretty much spot on with the show.in the show also they change a few names of people. read the books,they are way better than the show.and since the show is spectacular,you could imagine how good the books are

Comment by Shawn Piette – April 10, 2012 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you. I’ll get started this weekend… :-)

Comment by jazzyt2u – April 13, 2012 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post