Ratings: GCB Steady, Apprentice Up, Game of Thrones Stays Strong, Client List Is Hot Stuff

Get More: Finales, News, Ratings

A double-pump of the ABC freshman GCB performed as well as could be expected on a quiet Easter Sunday night.

The “special” first airing at 9 pm drew 5.25 million total viewers and a 1.7 rating, down some in the demo from the show’s most recent tally (5.22 mil/1.9), while the second helping (5.2 mil/1.9) was right on par with last Sunday’s numbers.

In the 8 o’clock hour, NBC bubble drama Harry’s Law made the most of ABC and Fox repeats by gaining 25 percent in the demo. Celebrity Apprentice (6.5 mil/2.0) in turn saw gains of 9 and 11 percent and hit five- and four-week highs.

CBS’ numbers are sufficiently scrambled by golf overrun, but at first blush it appears that the CSI: Miami season (?) finale was down, leading as it did out of a Good Wife rerun.

UPDATE: Over on the cable side of things, HBO’s Game of Thrones drew 3.8 million total viewers, almost matching its record-setting Season 2 opener, AMC’s The Killing (1.8 mil) was flat versus its own sophomore premiere and The Client List (2.8 million viewers) was Lifetime’s most-watched series debut since Drop Dead Diva circa 2009.

What were you watching this Sunday night?

Comments (30)

• Stoked for Harrys Law. Hope it can get a renewal. Deserves UT with a great cast and smart funny storylines. Plus it pulls a good overall # for NBC tho not a great demo #.

Comment by jasie – April 9, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully this helps GCB-it proves it can survive even when its paired with a rerun of Once and without the Desperate Housewives lead in

Comment by tvaddict – April 9, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope that GCB can do well enough to get a second season this fall. ;) Crossing my fingers!!

Comment by robinepowell – April 9, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HARRY’S LAW needs to be renewed. The show rocks!!!! It might not serve the demo but at least NBC can show some decent numbers when it comes to total viewers.

Comment by Daniela – April 9, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched 2 hours of GCB, The Client List, Game of Thrones & Eastbound & Down.

Comment by Velvet – April 9, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GCB cracks me up I so hope for a 2 nd season

Comment by joe – April 9, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GCB is good fun.

Comment by Velvet – April 9, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When can we expect some news on ratings for The Client List? It was actually better than I thought it would be…of course my expectations were low

Comment by tvaddict – April 9, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Cable ratings almost always come in much later — sometimes a whole day later — than broadcast TV numbers.”

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 9, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • any update on ratings for Magic City/Starz last Friday???

Comment by kikay – April 9, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just checked and nada to report just yet.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 9, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s going to be tough for CBS if CSI: Miami survives for Season Eleven. :-(

Comment by bad kevin – April 9, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think I’ve laughed harder that I did during GCB last night. Blake and cricket trying to have sex AHAHAHAHA.
    This show needs a renewal ASAP!!

Comment by A – April 9, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love GCB. As a thirty something girl, this show has been a hit with all my friends.

Comment by Crys – April 9, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • GCB isn’t a thirty something girl. It’s a TV series.

Comment by CJ – April 9, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re an idiot.

Comment by Van – April 9, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • your comment doesn’t even make sense

Comment by DV – April 22, 2012 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it any surprise that CSI:M ratings dropped? It started at 10:51(!) after a TGW (R). I’m guessing that CBS already decided to kick CSI:M even though it’s demo is better than TGW. Three of past four airings were bumped well past 10:20 because of basketball (twice) and golf.

Comment by ChicagoDan – April 9, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GCB has really been hitting its stride. I’ve really enjoyed the last few episodes.

Comment by scifisiren – April 9, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can’t remember the ratings for Pan Am, but is GCB doing better than it was? In a perfect world (to me) BOTH would get renewed!

Comment by Shari – April 9, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope the release some info on The Killing. Also hope that info is good….

Comment by jasie – April 9, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love GCB! Every episode is so entertaining. ABC, please renew it!

Comment by S – April 9, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Client List was decent. I really don’t see the long term plan for it though since it was already a movie and not really anything more then you need 2 hours to tell… they also need to just really go for it to make it more entertaining. Amp up the sex.. don’t just dance around it!
    Excited to watch 2 eppys of GCB on my DVR tonight :)

Comment by Danielle H – April 9, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am surprised Game of Thrones was able to stay steady on their numbers since they had a preview of the second episode on their website all week last week. Maybe they are counting those viewings in their ratings.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – April 9, 2012 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t home but taped client, CGB, Mad Men and good wife. Sunday is the new Thursday.

Comment by Winnie – April 9, 2012 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d been hoping ABC would give GCB [and Pan Am prior] a shot at the 9pm Sunday slot, and to their credit, ABC has finally come through. Did GCB benefit from the 9pm slot? I’m not so sure, but this is it for GCB – it’s now or never – the ratings need to improve in the next few weeks.

Regarding Shari’s question on Pan Am’s corresponding ratings for its first seven episodes, it was getting around 5.x and 2.x in demo – very similar to GCB at this point (episode 7) in its run. The problem for Pan Am was that its ratings kept falling, down to high 3.x and sub 2.0 in the demo by episode 12. That’s not good.

Ironically, I’ve been unkind to DH this season [the show is well past its prime], but DH may actually wind up helping GCB a bit in the next month as DH ratings rise near their series finale. If GCB can get a boost from a strong ratings finish by DH, I think GCB has a better than 50-50 chance of renewal.

The other variable will depend upon how strong ABC’s pilots are – particularly ‘Devious Maids’ [Marc Cherry pilot] and ‘Gilded Lillys’, which may well be positioned for that same 9pm and 10pm Sunday timeslots. If those pilots are strong, that may not bode well for GCB. If at least one or more of those similar pilots are weak and not picked up, that’s probably good news for GCB.

At this point, I think Pan Am is not coming back, but GCB has a decent chance of renewal for the fall, perhaps with a limited commitment [13 episodes?]. A lot will depend on those ratings – tell a friend to watch GCB – now is the time. I’m not a big fan of GCB, but I’m a fan of Leslie Bibb [I didn't realize how much I missed seeing her on a weekly series until GCB], so I’m pulling for GCB to come back this fall.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – April 9, 2012 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, please keep GCB, Australia needs to get this show!!!! The only place I’ll get to see Bruce Boxleitner, keep it! Huge Bruce fan, he makes it worthwhile to watch. Keep GCB Please.

Comment by JennyGavrilovic – April 26, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please Please Please! Don’t cancel GCB! That show is the highlight of my Sunday .

Comment by Nicole – May 7, 2012 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love GCB Totally gotta bring it back next season .. :) love it !!!!!!!

Comment by jenn – May 13, 2012 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post