Ratings: GCB Steady, Apprentice Up, Game of Thrones Stays Strong, Client List Is Hot Stuff

A double-pump of the ABC freshman GCB performed as well as could be expected on a quiet Easter Sunday night.

The “special” first airing at 9 pm drew 5.25 million total viewers and a 1.7 rating, down some in the demo from the show’s most recent tally (5.22 mil/1.9), while the second helping (5.2 mil/1.9) was right on par with last Sunday’s numbers.

In the 8 o’clock hour, NBC bubble drama Harry’s Law made the most of ABC and Fox repeats by gaining 25 percent in the demo. Celebrity Apprentice (6.5 mil/2.0) in turn saw gains of 9 and 11 percent and hit five- and four-week highs.

CBS’ numbers are sufficiently scrambled by golf overrun, but at first blush it appears that the CSI: Miami season (?) finale was down, leading as it did out of a Good Wife rerun.

UPDATE: Over on the cable side of things, HBO’s Game of Thrones drew 3.8 million total viewers, almost matching its record-setting Season 2 opener, AMC’s The Killing (1.8 mil) was flat versus its own sophomore premiere and The Client List (2.8 million viewers) was Lifetime’s most-watched series debut since Drop Dead Diva circa 2009.

What were you watching this Sunday night?

1. jasie says:

Stoked for Harrys Law. Hope it can get a renewal. Deserves UT with a great cast and smart funny storylines. Plus it pulls a good overall # for NBC tho not a great demo #.

2. tvaddict says:

Hopefully this helps GCB-it proves it can survive even when its paired with a rerun of Once and without the Desperate Housewives lead in

3. robinepowell says:

I hope that GCB can do well enough to get a second season this fall. ;) Crossing my fingers!!

4. Daniela says:

HARRY’S LAW needs to be renewed. The show rocks!!!! It might not serve the demo but at least NBC can show some decent numbers when it comes to total viewers.

5. Velvet says:

I watched 2 hours of GCB, The Client List, Game of Thrones & Eastbound & Down.

6. joe says:

GCB cracks me up I so hope for a 2 nd season

7. Velvet says:

GCB is good fun.

8. tvaddict says:

When can we expect some news on ratings for The Client List? It was actually better than I thought it would be…of course my expectations were low

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“Cable ratings almost always come in much later — sometimes a whole day later — than broadcast TV numbers.”

9. kikay says:

any update on ratings for Magic City/Starz last Friday???

10. bad kevin says:

It’s going to be tough for CBS if CSI: Miami survives for Season Eleven. :-(

11. A says:

I don’t think I’ve laughed harder that I did during GCB last night. Blake and cricket trying to have sex AHAHAHAHA.
    This show needs a renewal ASAP!!

12. Crys says:

Love GCB. As a thirty something girl, this show has been a hit with all my friends.

13. ChicagoDan says:

Is it any surprise that CSI:M ratings dropped? It started at 10:51(!) after a TGW (R). I’m guessing that CBS already decided to kick CSI:M even though it’s demo is better than TGW. Three of past four airings were bumped well past 10:20 because of basketball (twice) and golf.

14. scifisiren says:

GCB has really been hitting its stride. I’ve really enjoyed the last few episodes.

15. Shari says:

can’t remember the ratings for Pan Am, but is GCB doing better than it was? In a perfect world (to me) BOTH would get renewed!

16. jasie says:

Hope the release some info on The Killing. Also hope that info is good….

17. S says:

I love GCB! Every episode is so entertaining. ABC, please renew it!

18. Danielle H says:

The Client List was decent. I really don’t see the long term plan for it though since it was already a movie and not really anything more then you need 2 hours to tell… they also need to just really go for it to make it more entertaining. Amp up the sex.. don’t just dance around it!
    Excited to watch 2 eppys of GCB on my DVR tonight :)

19. Britta Unfiltered says:

I am surprised Game of Thrones was able to stay steady on their numbers since they had a preview of the second episode on their website all week last week. Maybe they are counting those viewings in their ratings.

20. Winnie says:

Wasn’t home but taped client, CGB, Mad Men and good wife. Sunday is the new Thursday.

21. Nero theTVFiddler says:

I’d been hoping ABC would give GCB [and Pan Am prior] a shot at the 9pm Sunday slot, and to their credit, ABC has finally come through. Did GCB benefit from the 9pm slot? I’m not so sure, but this is it for GCB – it’s now or never – the ratings need to improve in the next few weeks.

Regarding Shari’s question on Pan Am’s corresponding ratings for its first seven episodes, it was getting around 5.x and 2.x in demo – very similar to GCB at this point (episode 7) in its run. The problem for Pan Am was that its ratings kept falling, down to high 3.x and sub 2.0 in the demo by episode 12. That’s not good.

Ironically, I’ve been unkind to DH this season [the show is well past its prime], but DH may actually wind up helping GCB a bit in the next month as DH ratings rise near their series finale. If GCB can get a boost from a strong ratings finish by DH, I think GCB has a better than 50-50 chance of renewal.

The other variable will depend upon how strong ABC’s pilots are – particularly ‘Devious Maids’ [Marc Cherry pilot] and ‘Gilded Lillys’, which may well be positioned for that same 9pm and 10pm Sunday timeslots. If those pilots are strong, that may not bode well for GCB. If at least one or more of those similar pilots are weak and not picked up, that’s probably good news for GCB.

At this point, I think Pan Am is not coming back, but GCB has a decent chance of renewal for the fall, perhaps with a limited commitment [13 episodes?]. A lot will depend on those ratings – tell a friend to watch GCB – now is the time. I’m not a big fan of GCB, but I’m a fan of Leslie Bibb [I didn't realize how much I missed seeing her on a weekly series until GCB], so I’m pulling for GCB to come back this fall.

22. JennyGavrilovic says:

Please, please keep GCB, Australia needs to get this show!!!! The only place I’ll get to see Bruce Boxleitner, keep it! Huge Bruce fan, he makes it worthwhile to watch. Keep GCB Please.

23. Nicole says:

Please Please Please! Don’t cancel GCB! That show is the highlight of my Sunday .

24. jenn says:

Love GCB Totally gotta bring it back next season .. :) love it !!!!!!!